Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

chiasaur11 posted:

Frieren's anime is getting amazing ratings.

Thought this was good from when the manga started, but I never expected it would go this far.
I did. After reading the manga & seeing who was working on bringing it to life, I knew that if they did a good job it would get great ratings. And they've done a fantastic job so they deserve the popularity.

Things may drop back for a week or so because of "The Apothecary Diaries" and "Pluto" (maybe not this since it's been dropped all at once and may not be counted the same way), but it's almost certainly going to stay in the top five the rest of the year.

Meanwhile, the demons have just realized they're climbing Bandini Mountain and have to go back down without skis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Hell yeah Frieren the Slayer.

I think the demons use words in battle like predators do a threat display, to terrify their prey and make the kill easier. Frieren is more of a polar bear; they never evolved a threat display because they never needed one.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I know it's preaching to the choir at this point but everything about this show's visual and sound design is just absolutely wonderful.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

You'd think they'd pass around a sketch of Freiren at least, given how rare elves are. "Hey yeah I know we're all totally super powerful but uh if you see this one? You're probably screwed if you just proceed as usual"

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I already loved the manga by this point, but I really appreciated this arc because it showed that Frieren had more tricks up its sleeve rather than just being a bittersweet meditation on time and aging.

Also it's pretty badass

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

GloomMouse posted:

You'd think they'd pass around a sketch of Freiren at least, given how rare elves are. "Hey yeah I know we're all totally super powerful but uh if you see this one? You're probably screwed if you just proceed as usual"

"I told you we should have learned how to draw better than just making stick figures!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GloomMouse posted:

We saw this episode why that wouldn't work, Lugner had fought against Freiren before and knew exactly how dangerous she was but even though she still looked exactly the same he didn't recognise her. He assumed she was just some random person who was below consideration so it simply didn't occur to him to wonder who she might be.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also big lol at Fern eviscerating that burger in three seconds flat.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We saw this episode why that wouldn't work

Yes but it's funny to think about

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Super Jay Mann posted:

Fern: apex predator of burgers and burghers

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I appreciated a few things this episode a lot for going against the expected plot point.

When Frieren killed the demon and escaped jail to see the dead guard, I fully expected more guards to rush in and frame her for it, setting up for the town leader to want to kill her/frame her as a traitor, but he ended up being smart about it.

I also expected just a grab-and-run when Stark and Fern infiltrated the mansion, not any actual attacks against the demons before heading off.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Super Jay Mann posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Stark and Fern infiltrating the mansion was peak "non-magical class observes the versatility of a well-prepared Wizard and wonders why they are even there" :allears:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Squidster posted:

Fern: apex predator of burgers and burghers

:golfclap:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Lt. Lizard posted:

Stark and Fern infiltrating the mansion was peak "non-magical class observes the versatility of a well-prepared Wizard and wonders why they are even there" :allears:

I do like how Stark's axe hits are like a loving explosion, though. It definitely makes him seem more like he belongs in the group. Too many fantasy stories won't let martial fighters do insane, mythic level accomplishments even when they're paired with mages acting as flying, rail gun nerds.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
This episode answers several questions brought up in the thread.

Draht's clothes disintegrate along with him, so it seems that demon's clothes are just magic constructs. It happened with Quall and the child as well but that could be written off as an effect of Zoltraak, but here we see Lugner take a shot of it and while it erases what is struck it doesn't spread. The child had simple clothes because she was young and unsophisticated, while the more sophisticated demons have the more sophisticated clothing.

Also, Quall's final words were him realizing that his magic had been turned into an anti-demon weapon.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
This episode and the next few ones will answer some questions and make it easier to talk about the whole "demon" issue. For the bits this introduces

When you talk about people wildly loving up in applying anthropomorphism to demons, it starts real basic. Demons aren't even biological entities. They probably aren't "alive" by a strict definition of the word. They are mana, period, formed into a shape and given intent. The intent to kill humans. You think you are talking about how to get along with another sentient lifeform, and how we can grow and change and learn to exist together, but in a very real sense you are talking to a sentient magic missile spell. It's not like you. Not even a little. There is no level in which it is not profoundly alien to how you are.

Also nice bit of word play, where the title of this episode is the same as the series. Soso no Frieren. Which can be both "Frieren at the funeral" and "Frieren sends you to your funeral". Frieren the Slayer. She can appear a bit spacey and apathetic, but boy howdy should you not underestimate how *profoundly* dedicated she is to killing demons.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Just so you know, I'm strong.

you know you already lost after that line.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mulva posted:

Also nice bit of word play, where the title of this episode is the same as the series. Soso no Frieren. Which can be both "Frieren at the funeral" and "Frieren sends you to your funeral". Frieren the Slayer. She can appear a bit spacey and apathetic, but boy howdy should you not underestimate how *profoundly* dedicated she is to killing demons.
drat. Love an ambiguous title

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Mulva posted:

That reminds me of the ending battle in Hitsugi no Chaika, where Chaika's goal was to hold a funeral for and bury the remains of her evil emperor father, a goal which remained unchanged even when he revived from the dead. "I'm going to bury my father!" as she set sights on him in with her magical anti-material rifle. :hellyeah:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
so much for the ones saying demons are smart enough to build a community together..surely...

well here they don't even give a crap about eachother when the other dies, just oh well. its just the barest amount of cooperation because it makes sense.

similar to how birds stick around or fly together sometimes.

Graf, the town leader, while he was tricked by the deception in the beginning, he was able to realize quickly something is wrong with the dead guard, and missing elf, and missing 3rd demon. I like that. Everyone so far has been acting reasonably.

Frieren doesn't hesitate at all against the string demon, just shows how much experience she has. Not a bad way to go honestly, with Frieren on top and choking you to death.
I like that Fern realized right away when the girl demon was talking and trying to buy time, she's really smart.

And love Stark. Afraid, but willing to fight and protect if need to anyway. Very brief this episode, but very good. He also knows to prioritize the injured and knows to make the right call when he SHOULD run. Both showed very level headed responses.

The ending cut was good too. Oh btw, She IS one of the 4 heroes. They all didn't just get carried by Himmel.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 28, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

The ending cut was good too. Oh btw, She IS one of the 4 heroes. They all didn't just get carried by Himmel.

And now she has 70+ more years of experience than when she was in the Hero's party, and she's been studying magic pretty much nonstop the entire time.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Stark is baby boy, a good lad.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's nice too that this is anime only stuff which both fits the tone and adds to the story.

Makes me hopeful that the anime will continue to improve on the original.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It certainly is nice to have a minor character like Graf not be a blithering idiot

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://files.catbox.moe/m78ic5.mp4

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GloomMouse posted:

It certainly is nice to have a minor character like Graf not be a blithering idiot

Yes, very much so. I am so glad they avoid the ridiculous trope of the hero being accused for doing things anyone with two working braincells would realize they were not responsible for. For comedy, it's slightly understandable, though even then it's become a very hackneyed cliche. But when your dramatic story requires that all characters besides the hero have the rational ability of a pile of dryer lint, it gets really loving boring really loving fast.

Having read the manga, I'm glad the true meaning of the title is finally sinking in to the anime audience. When it comes to demons, Frieren is a stone cold killer. Seeing everyone's reactions to next week is going to be fascinating.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

:hai:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://x.com/kuronekodaisuki/status/1718204814608531663?s=20

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Frieren does look like someone that would yank a lanyard along with the owner to open a door.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Shipping Frieren & Doomguy?

Nah. :grin:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

When the doom music kicks in :discourse:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That took zero retiming. Hellwalker just lines up.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Maybe it's just me, but Frieren being doomguy for demon killing makes me less interested in her character, not more. This plot beat reminds me of Goblin Slayer more than anything, really, with her being the only one to understand the full extent of the threat posed by demons. I hope it's going somewhere interesting with it.

Also, the thing about demons being straight up sociopathic human hunting monsters is that they make for really dull villains.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 30, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
demons in frieren are dangerous because of the many interesting and well thought-out reasons expounded in earlier posts. goblins in goblin slayer are dangerous because they have the word "rape" for a frontal lobe. they are not the same

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah it's weird they spent eight episodes showing Frieren as nothing but a stone cold killer endlessly blasting demons just like Doomguy, but that's just the way it goes sometimes

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 30, 2023

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

GloomMouse posted:

Yeah it's weird they spent eight episodes showing Frieren as nothing but a stone cold killer endlessly blasting demons just like Doomguy, but that's just the way it goes sometimes

I meant this aspect of her character is less interesting to me, not that the two are literally equivalent. I enjoyed all that other stuff much more than this current arc is all.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Frieren has already traveled to the demon king's castle and killed him with a group of hero people, so this isn't really new territory as an aspect of her character. Fortunately the show seems to know it too, and most of this city demon stuff has been from the POV of Fern, Stark, Graf, and the demons. This let's us see how they are coming along and see that Frieren isn't full of poo poo. Comparisons to Goblin Slayer of all things is more than a little ridiculous. If you just wanted exclusively chill wandering show then my condolences

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just think it's a little unrealistic that 80 years after a major war that the defeated enemy forces are not only back but trying to act like they are peaceful now and influence politicians. Surely the people of the world would recognize these evil forces for what they are and not try to reason with or entertain them. Totally ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

80 years is plenty long for people to forget. We've got nazis marching in the street again on just about that timescale.