Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End premieres on September 29th, with a massive 2 hr first episode.

ANN Plot Summary: For ten years, elf mage Frieren traveled with Himmel the hero, Heiter the priest, and Eisen the dwarf warrior as they quested to destroy the demon king. At the end of their journey, Frieren set out on her own, not quite understanding how differently time flows for her versus her human companions. Reunited after fifty years only to see them wither and die, Frieren begins to ponder the nature of connections at a time when it's already too late to say goodbye.

OP: "Yusha (Hero)" by YOASOBI
ED: "Anytime Anywhere" by milet

Japanese broadcast: Fridays at 9:00 PM
US streaming on: Crunchyroll

A lot of us love the manga, but please let's try to keep all the spoilers out of the anime thread and only talk about them in the manga one.

Fan Art and fun stuff:

Das Boo posted:

I had to draw this dumb joke out of my head.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oppa frieren style

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm very excited to watch this. It looks like it is being made with love.

Edit: ANN'S summary is great and how I'll sell it to other people.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Very much looking forward to this as a manga reader. This is a very good manga that was crafted in a very idiosyncratic style and I can't wait to see how it is translated to animation. Its special!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Agronox posted:

OP: "Yusha (Hero)" by YOASOBI
ED: "Anytime Anywhere" by milet

Here we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msWDl0Ny-v0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFAYqLs1zGw

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
According to the show's Twitter, the ED will be performed live at the end of tonight's broadcast.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Live performance of an ED is actually pretty sick. I'd love to see the live band performing in picture in picture in the corner or something as the anime ED plays on the big screen, or just only showing the band performing and saving the standard ED animation and track for future episodes.

Between this and Oshi no Ko I'm really liking the big rear end OVA/movie length first episode for anime where that's an appropriate thing to do, and I hope more anime starts taking up that trend.

It's also a bit surprising that the ED is what's getting the live performance instead of the OP considering how hot YOASOBI is right now, but then again maybe it's the fact that they're so hot that makes doing a live performance really tough to schedule or too costly to pull off.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
YOASOBI have said that the video for the song will drop after the broadcast, so at least we have that.

https://twitter.com/YOASOBI_staff/status/1707535225046303012

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
VA livestream running now, just before the show airs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ2F748rFig

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That was...

Sublime. :)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this is incredible

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Add the studio and some basic main va. info to the OP to make it more complete imo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Absolutely gorgeous animation of lavish montages set to melancholic music - exactly as it goddamn should be

Perfect

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
It's goated, folks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So is this gonna be a thing where four episodes all release at once and then nothing for the next month?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

So is this gonna be a thing where four episodes all release at once and then nothing for the next month?

Nope. Episode 5 next week.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, so I guess Heiter was over 100? I mean let's say he was--bare minimum--20 when he joined the party, 30 when they beat the Demon King, then that's +50 years for the second stargazing trip, and the manga says it's been 20 years since Himmel's death when Frieren meets him with Fern. Spritely for his age!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
All the alcohol killed every germ that tried to get him.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Don't think I could've asked for anything more from an adaptation of the manga, I'm so stoked for the rest of the season.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

All the alcohol killed every germ that tried to get him.

As a faithful priest, the Goddess would have to take his soul into heaven for eternity, but since he's Heiter, she kept putting it off as long as possible.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Almost cried 3 times in 2 episodes. Excellent.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

starting episode 1 now with a giant plate of curry

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was some good fukken anime right there.

I thought the music reminded me of Violet Evergarden and sure enough, same guy.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

RuBisCO posted:

Almost cried 3 times in 2 episodes. Excellent.

It started raining in my room when she first discovers the blue moon weed. I didnt even see rain on the radar.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I had an infestation of onion ninjas. Or ninja onions.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

we are so loving back

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I, liked it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Watching the anime after reading the manga really highlights all the little touches about how Frieren tries to do a little better like learning the sour grapes spell for Eisen.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Those 4 episode were fun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Episode 2 spoilers: The montage of Frieren training Fern is great and you literally see Fern growing up!!!! Frieren remarks that she has been training her for 5 years. Fern literally grows up, has longer hair, etc by the end of it. Not subtle but one of the things i really like about this story!

Animation on this show is gorgeous. And I really like the FX & sound they have used for the magic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This is just a gorgeous show. It's always great when an excellent manga gets a transcendent adaptation.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've watched all four episodes and I'm not exaggerating when I say this might be the best TV manga adaptation ever made. The little animation details, the music and sound design, the VA work, the gorgeous backgrounds all serve to elevate an already great source material. If the quality maintains throughout, we've got a winner!

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Mordja posted:

I've watched all four episodes and I'm not exaggerating when I say this might be the best TV manga adaptation ever made. The little animation details, the music and sound design, the VA work, the gorgeous backgrounds all serve to elevate an already great source material. If the quality maintains throughout, we've got a winner!

The sensation of time passing quickly is much better depicted in the anime, and the backgrounds are much better too. The anime is pretty much a refined, concentrated, and purified version of the manga.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

done with the episodes. It was good, but not gushing as much as everyone else.
First two was great. 3rd was good. 4th was kind of a setup so it was okay. Wish it ended with them meeting the red haired boy in the OP to finish the new party, but its nothing against it.

I like the subtle facial expressions. Like Frieren does have a slight emotionless face, but they do give a lot of slight details whenever she's feeling emotion or something. and Fren is so cute when she's annoyed and puffs her face.

Like the little personality quirks like Frieren's hobby of collecting spells, getting struck in things. Hemmel's narcissistic trait in the flashbacks.

Also I think it makes a lot of sense that for a long lived species like Freiren that she's very loose with money versus short-lived species like us who are obsessed with hoarding as much of it as we can till we die. I do like that the series doesn't really treat long life as a curse like other series, sure there are things to deal with, but Frieren doesn't fall in despair that she lives long, that's just how it is for her. Like the ways they reinforce her time perception like "its just a mere 30 years" A month doesn't mean anything to her.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm of a similar mind where I think it's good, verging on very good, but I think it's quite a ways from the best adaptations in terms of overall quality. It ranks significantly higher in terms of how well it adapts the vibe and story of the original manga, if that's the criteria you're judging it by.

I'm sure part of my feelings towards it are due to it not being the style of anime I necessarily tend to veer towards and really get sucked into. It's certainly no slouch though and I'm glad to see a manga I like getting a very solid adaptation.

That's also just my perspective four episodes in. It's entirely possible there will be some absolutely amazing episodes later on in the cour.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Excellent adaptation, it did a really good job at enhancing everything about the first few chapters of manga, without losing anything in transition to anime. I guess ED fits the overall mood far more than the OP, if you want to nitpick? Regardless, I really feel like, at least for this part, the anime will be the definitive way to experience the story.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The ending song not only fits the show better, the animation choices are very stylistic and memorable; it looks and feels like the kind of fairytale the main story reflects. The opening song and animation are both very generic and boring, they already feel dated and out of place which is a shame.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Never read the manga, but if this continues at the same quality level it's shaping up to be one of my favorite shows of the year. Only a few competitors judging on the first few episodes, and only one anime (MyGO). The animation is lovely, the art style is lovely, and I'm really excited to see Frieren pushing forward more into the future.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the manga is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Decided to give this a try and see what all the buzz was about.

Watched the first episode, immediately started watching the rest. Very good. I'll probably pick up the manga when the anime is done.