Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

zhar posted:

if you want to update the youtube block open ublock dashboard -> filter lists -> click little clock icon next to builtin ublock - quick fixes and click update now. Youtube has been updating anti-adblock script fairly randomly up to several times a day whereas ublock auto-update happens at regular intervals which is why it may not be adequate (if you click the eye next to a list you can see when it expires in the header, quick fixes seems to be 12 hours). If you don't get the youtube message you obviously dont need to do anything.

if you want to force update all lists on same screen purge all caches and update.

Thx dude, didnt know where all the filter stuff was. After enabling autoupdate all the lists were like 3h old, so ok i guess. Pretty aggressive from YT, lets see how this is going to play out. IMO people should spend less time online and do more stuff outside, so not the worst development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

zhar posted:

if you want to force update all lists on same screen purge all caches and update.

I wonder why the devs don't give a toggle to let that auto-update, given the situation. Ah well, seems to keep working after I double-update uBlock and AdNauseum.

You folks only told me about AdNauseum a week ago and it says I've already blown $915 of marketing budgets.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Gromit posted:

They wanted something to download youtube videos and that works well doing it. No idea why you responded like that, but you do you I guess.

it's GBS, they treat earnestness like it's herpes or craft glitter here or something

alternatively

shirunei posted:

half of the goons still posting here have a boomer's familiarity with tech tho

though half is being incredibly generous I think

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don't fear the CLI and never stop blocking ads.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I use an ad blocker on youtube. poo poo works fine

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think people who use command line stuff regularly needs to understand that they are weirdo freaks who don't realize how poo poo command line stuff is. Well they don't need to understand that they just should shut the gently caress up and not suggest command line solutions to the majority of people when other options exist. Yep.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I understand how to use the command line and understand it. I just think it's a pain in the rear end.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I understand how to use the command line and understand it. I just think it's a pain in the rear end.

lookit this nerd
lol

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Correct.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It is the one true path.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I think people who use command line stuff regularly needs to understand that they are weirdo freaks who don't realize how poo poo command line stuff is. Well they don't need to understand that they just should shut the gently caress up and not suggest command line solutions to the majority of people when other options exist. Yep.

If you're too stupid to type "yt-dlp" and past in the link of the video you want downloaded, you don't deserve to download the thing. gently caress, I'm fairly certain that if you drag the link of a video onto the yt-dlp exe it'll just download the thing without any typing.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bertha the Toaster posted:

If you're too stupid to type "yt-dlp" and past in the link of the video you want downloaded, you don't deserve to download the thing. gently caress, I'm fairly certain that if you drag the link of a video onto the yt-dlp exe it'll just download the thing without any typing.

I just use ABP and youtube cant really do anything about it

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Arc Light posted:

I stopped using iPhones about five years ago. Back then there was no useful browser-based adblock that worked on YouTube, thanks to the closed nature of the Apple ecosystem. I had Firefox mobile, but I couldn't get useful plugins. Not sure if that's changed in the intervening years.

Vinegar might be the best use of three dollars i've ever spent on the app store, it strains all the extraneous youtube poo poo out and just Plays A Video File in the browser instead. never seen an ad since, and it has the added benefit of restoring picture-in-picture without needing to pay the youtube subscription

if anyone here has an apple thingie you really ought to give it a look

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

EightFlyingCars posted:

Vinegar might be the best use of three dollars i've ever spent on the app store, it strains all the extraneous youtube poo poo out and just Plays A Video File in the browser instead. never seen an ad since, and it has the added benefit of restoring picture-in-picture without needing to pay the youtube subscription

if anyone here has an apple thingie you really ought to give it a look

what in the gently caress do you need youtube picture in picture for?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I think realizing command line is poo poo and picking an option that is less poo poo makes me more intelligent than somebody who smugly defends their bad decision as somehow the smart thing to do. I also don't like Linux.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

I think realizing command line is poo poo and picking an option that is less poo poo makes me more intelligent than somebody who smugly defends their bad decision as somehow the smart thing to do. I also don't like Linux.

I think that may make you a nerd. Or even a dork.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Is there a reliably-updated filter i can subscribe to for blocking poo poo on Facebook? I had an amazing few months lately where it was actually showing me friends' posts and updates from groups I am part of and interested in, but it's back to nothing but ads and suggested posts for stuff I don't care about again.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what in the gently caress do you need youtube picture in picture for?

The videos stop playing if you try to do something else on your device if it’s disabled.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mill Village posted:

The videos stop playing if you try to do something else on your device if it’s disabled.

now im confused, I only watch youtube on my pc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Videos on phone is such crap, I'd rather just not watch it at all if my only option is phone.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Is there a reliably-updated filter i can subscribe to for blocking poo poo on Facebook? I had an amazing few months lately where it was actually showing me friends' posts and updates from groups I am part of and interested in, but it's back to nothing but ads and suggested posts for stuff I don't care about again.

I use the Social Fixer plugin, which has a pretty wide array of filter options for Facebook specifically.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

now im confused, I only watch youtube on my pc

Youtube makes you pay to be able to listen to or watch videos while it's in the background or the screen is locked, lol.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I spent my childhood using CLI in MS-DOS. I ain't going to back to that if I don't have to.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I spent my childhood using CLI in MS-DOS. I ain't going to back to that if I don't have to.

MS-Dos 6.0, Autoexec.bat & Config.sys for life! :suicide:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Just Another Lurker posted:

MS-Dos 6.0, Autoexec.bat & Config.sys for life! :suicide:

@echo off

EDIT: Actually IIRC only rubes used @echo off you wanted to see what broke during boot up. Got to get all your ports and SoundBlaster settings right.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 29, 2023

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I used to pay for the premium lite thing that only removed ads but after one too many of my subscribed channels got hijacked by a tesla livestream crypto scam I cancelled it and switched to yt-dlp, newpipe and smarttube to get around the ads.

Every time you post a comment you'll get notifications from scammers impersonating the channel posting telegram and whatsapp links too, it's maddening. And YouTube/Google isn't lifting a finger trying to stop it, so gently caress'em.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Took a week or two for this to reach me, I don't get the blocking screen but YouTube just doesn't do poo poo if I have uBlock or Ghostery on now.

Enhanced YouTube for Firefox still works though, there's a button to skip and/or remove ads and it does what it says :shrug:

vv I already had ad-blocking turned off in Enhanced's settings, but then I turned off only Ghostery and it works again.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 29, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ublock and enhanced fight. Turn off the blocking in enhanced and it should work again.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

some people do download videos because their internet is unreliable and YT flips the gently caress out when your connection cuts out, maybe think about that while gargling on satya/cook's balls next time

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Gromit posted:

They wanted something to download youtube videos and that works well doing it. No idea why you responded like that, but you do you I guess.

yeah i think i will

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dervival posted:

some people do download videos because their internet is unreliable and YT flips the gently caress out when your connection cuts out, maybe think about that while gargling on satya/cook's balls next time

What? So does not having reliable internet make you incapable of reading/understanding my post? Seems that way. There are other downloaders that don't require command line interaction. That being said I think it's clear that if you don't have a stable internet connection it makes you less than human and it should be pointed out by all us cool broadband internet havers. Thank you Comcast for making me human!!!!!!! You're the best. I think we can all agree Comcast is a great company.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 29, 2023

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Youtube-dl is probably the backend for all the other tools you use. You'll never get a gui that covers all the options youtube-dlp has. It's a great tool and it works on pretty much every site with audio or video, it reaches far beyond youtube.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Crazy Achmed posted:

There used to be a thing called fb-purity, it worked extremely well but then I discovered the best Facebook experience was deleting my account and blocking the site.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

hot date tonight! posted:

Youtube-dl is probably the backend for all the other tools you use. You'll never get a gui that covers all the options youtube-dlp has. It's a great tool and it works on pretty much every site with audio or video, it reaches far beyond youtube.

Why would you think anybody would give any shits what the backend is? They care about what they have to interact with. So yeah command line sucks and while you're free to use it, it's a bad thing to suggest unless you're on like a Linux forum or other options manage to be much worse. I'll follow a tutorial to do something once or rarely but knowing it involves command line stuff will make me less thrilled by the process.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 29, 2023

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn
Just plug the url into one of the dozen downloader sites? Standalone programs get screwed up by yt updates, too, and I always seemed to pick one that got abandoned after a year. The sites get replaced constantly.

I don't care how efficient or not it is, give me a button to click... Let me navigate folders, drag and drop things even if you wanna be fancy. Command lines are just masochistic.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Ok yeah but expecting any end user to use the command line at any point is loving ludicrous. I don't care that it isn't really that hard, it's not 1993 anymore, and these amateur GitHub devs need to understand that nobody but them wants to deal with this.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Counterpoint, UIs can be annoying to write depending on the language you are using so deal with it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kdrudy posted:

Counterpoint, UIs can be annoying to write depending on the language you are using so deal with it.

The end user doesn't know, much less give a poo poo about any of that.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Tried out YT-DLP, works great so far. Downloading some old channels right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

kdrudy posted:

Good code can be annoying to write too. This is why I offer only programs that have no interface and also no code. The sleekest and most lightweight apps you use!