Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GrandTheftAutism posted:

I'm fine with the consequences of my vote, I just wanted you to :wrongful: about it.
You could always go somewhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

GrandTheftAutism posted:

I already had a feeling the No vote was going to prevail, given the utterly weak nature of the Yes campaign, the sheer wall of misinformation the average punter kept running headfirst into, and the partisan split in Parliament.

My progressive No vote was based on my belief that I saw the Voice not as a pathway to Treaty, but more as a milquetoast replacement for same, and I was not alone in that view. Some No voters may have failed to foresee the consequences of the No vote, but I'm definitely not one of them. I'm autistic, not stupid.

Can you see that your progressive No vote actually amounted to telling indigenous people "No, I don't think we should be listening to you particularly"?

If we couldn't get this then we're definitely not getting a Treaty, I think your logic and reasoning are deeply flawed.

Or do you think we're on track to get a better Treaty now?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Some No voters may have failed to foresee the consequences of the No vote, but I'm definitely not one of them.

"I understood that I was voting to harm people."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandTheftAutism posted:

My progressive No vote was based on my belief that I saw the Voice not as a pathway to Treaty, but more as a milquetoast replacement for same, and I was not alone in that view.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

If we couldn't get this then we're definitely not getting a Treaty, I think your logic and reasoning are deeply flawed.

Or do you think we're on track to get a better Treaty now?

I said elsewhere that voting Yes would pretty much stall all current movement towards Treaty and push the cause back 10 years (the ALP would just keep pointing to the Voice and parroting "Look at the huge victory we achieved! What more do you want???" and the LNP and Nats and One Nation etc would just dig in harder) , but voting No would cement the idea that the general population isn't ready for this discussion and that would push the cause back 20 years.

My Yes vote was a bullshit 'harm reduction' realpolitik choice, but neither outcome was favorable. People who wanted a Treaty were getting screwed whatever the outcome. :shrug:

A Perfect Twist posted:

Most of Australia thought the way you do but that still means they were misinformed and the Coalition leaned into this ("If you don't know, vote no").

I'm still mad that worked as well as it did, but not really surprised. I guess the only way to counter it would have been pushing the message "Voting no is picking a side, if you're genuinely not sure you can 'abstain' by voting informal" but there wasn't really anyone in a good position to get that message out. Also I guess the AEC would have been real mad at anyone instructing people to deliberately gently caress up their vote.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 30, 2023

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

bowmore posted:

ah yes, just what we need. more echo chamber that is convinced that the Yes vote will win because John Farnham let them use his song.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

Ute drivers aren't ethical no voters.

lol

Laserface posted:

ah yes, just what we need. more echo chamber that is convinced that the Yes vote will win because John Farnham let them use his song.

that sounds like a huge demographic, possibly more than zero even

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GrandTheftAutism posted:

My progressive No vote was based on my belief that I saw the Voice not as a pathway to Treaty, but more as a milquetoast replacement for same, and I was not alone in that view. Some No voters may have failed to foresee the consequences of the No vote, but I'm definitely not one of them. I'm autistic, not stupid.

I'm entirely in agreement that the voice as it was going to be constituted was weak and at best a sop. I agree that the yes campaign was judgey, preachey and horribly executed. Lidia Thorpe was right that Albanese should have pulled the plug as soon as the writing was on the wall. I agree with all of this, I agree that the voice is a fundamentally colonialist project and that you can never dismantle the masters house with the masters tools.

In spite of all that, genuinely, how did you see a no vote as more of a pathway to treaty? How could you believe that anything other than yes would empower racists further, slam First Nations people back into the dust and take us further away from what we really need to do? The voice wasn't a good structure, but at least it could have been an advocate for good structures instead of it being a failed case for First Nations people even having a powerless representative body.

In my view it was absolutely a lesser of two evils being a yes vote. Yes wasn't a path to treaty, but no was a path away from it.

bowmore posted:

I disagree with this. If you engage in good faith I'm happy to talk to you. I'm glad the needling has drawn the progressive no out of the woodwork because it's worth having this discussion to try and salvage this poo poo the next time there is a progressive no case but a tepid yes is better. It's just like Brexit, there's a bunch of progressive reasons to want to leave the EU, but all of the outcomes were going to be regressive and poo poo and remove protections, so why would you support it?

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 30, 2023

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bald Stalin posted:

This is nonsense. There have been advisory bodies in the past. There can be advisory bodies again. Nothing about the words in the constituion prevent or force it to be listened to and their advice to be followed. White supremacist settler colonial governments that represent ruling capitalist class interests do what they want when they want it. A vote won't change that lol

A no vote is a pathway explicitly against it. I'm not going to argue that a yes vote will create a treaty. I'm saying that a no vote will block one.

But hey, you got what you wanted. Come back to me in 20 years when we can start thinking about the voice again, let alone a treaty.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 30, 2023

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
We are set to win gold at the next Olympics for gymnastics, just send a few progressive no voters

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

hooman posted:

Come back to me in 20 years when we can start thinking about the voice again, let alone a treaty.

This right here shows, sadly, that you really didn't pay attention nor learn anything at all from the revolutionaries despite the attempts to spoon feed it to you. Instead of this lighting a fire in your heart to get out there and organize and educate yourself further, you're just going to do nothing? Join us, do something tangible! Don't listen to these do nothing just vote status quo libs, listen to the revolutionaries that were the real force for change in history and join us. Organizing, serving the people, building a revolutionary movement that will drive change is how things have and will improve.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bald Stalin posted:

This right here shows, sadly, that you really didn't pay attention nor learn anything at all from the revolutionaries despite the attempts to spoon feed it to you. Instead of this lighting a fire in your heart to get out there and organize and educate yourself further, you're just going to do nothing? Join us, do something tangible! Don't listen to these do nothing just vote status quo libs, listen to the revolutionaries that were the real force for change in history and join us. Organizing, serving the people, building a revolutionary movement that will drive change is how things have and will improve.

Still waiting for that revolutionary movement after the ‘99 referendum

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

If we couldn't even convince a majority of Australians to support a milquetoast voice, how are you going to convince them to support a revolution that threatens their position and status?
Not to mention that Australia has actually succeeded in the past at delivering progressive change through voting, not revolution, with the enfranchisement of women and Indigenous Australians as key examples.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Captain Theron posted:

If we couldn't even convince a majority of Australians to support a milquetoast voice, how are you going to convince them to support a revolution that threatens their position and status?

Not to mention that Australia has actually succeeded in the past at delivering progressive change through voting, not revolution, with the enfranchisement of women and Indigenous Australians as key examples.

You don't convince the masses to 'do a revolution'.

Those weaker minor reforms happened because radical grassroots revolutionaries organized around and demanded far more. Not because the ruling class decided to let you have them on a whim out of the goodness of their heart.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
e: nah.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 30, 2023

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

Those weaker minor reforms happened because radical grassroots revolutionaries organized around and demanded far more. Not because the ruling class decided to let you have them on a whim out of the goodness of their heart.

Hmm, so something like indigenous leaders from across the country coming together to draft a proposal for reform, like some sort of statement from the heart?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
This is terrible to admit and you can all condemn me for this, but as a very progressive yes (and super white middle aged middle class) voter I find it very hard to muster up any enthusiasm for pretty much any cause that isn’t climate. I’m sure this is an emotional response driven by fear, especially for my kids, but when these discussions kick off about momentum for progress and revolution my immediate reaction is impatience about it being about any issue other than climate transition in the first instance, mostly because I don’t see how meaningful action will be possible - especially in Australia - without massive change and grassroots political organisation. Obviously people/governments can do more than one thing at a time etc but i just wanted to suggest a very real challenge here is that there are several huge policy areas where entrenched interests and governments are really failing or actively screwing us (housing, the care economy and inter generational inequality being other ones), and I wonder at how hard that makes it to build a movement around something like treaty with all this other existential poo poo going on. It drives me nuts people voted no when this seemed like a very simple “indigenous groups asked for this very modest thing, it seemed reasonable, why not say yes and take subsequent steps on their own merits given the clear and urgent needs those cohorts have endured for decades” without getting into mental fourth dimensional chess about what government’s would hypothetically do or not so afterwards. Meanwhile I am probably going mad thinking about climate poo poo like 75% of the time. I wonder how many other “progressive” people have a similar issue.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I don't know if a revolution is possible in Australia under current conditions. Things are too good for too many people to want to risk everything by overthrowing the government, and the people who are hurting are so widely dispersed that forming a core of revolutionaries faces insurmountable logistical and security problems.

is the idea to form local cells and be ready to take advantage of an as yet unpredicted social crisis?

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Hi ASIO.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Bald Stalin posted:

Join us, do something tangible! Don't listen to these do nothing just vote status quo libs, listen to the revolutionaries that were the real force for change in history and join us. Organizing, serving the people, building a revolutionary movement that will drive change is how things have and will improve.

Go on then, be specific

What does this involve other than telling indigenous people we don't want their voice.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
what does the thread think about moustaches on buses?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

I don't know if a revolution is possible in Australia under current conditions. Things are too good for too many people to want to risk everything by overthrowing the government, and the people who are hurting are so widely dispersed that forming a core of revolutionaries faces insurmountable logistical and security problems.

is the idea to form local cells and be ready to take advantage of an as yet unpredicted social crisis?

I think it involves cosplaying as radicals while voting with Pauline Hanson and Peter Dutton.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I'm anti, if I can't grow a good one, why should a bus be able to flaunt theirs?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Recoome posted:

We are set to win gold at the next Olympics for gymnastics, just send a few progressive no voters

can i compete in climbing rather than gymnastics? i am not very good at gymnastics.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The radical no hosed up fundamentally because victory failed to radicalise anyone. If there had been unanimity between all progressive voices then only the most flagrantly bought and sold right wing indigenous Australians would have been saying no. Radicalisation relies on unfairness and injustice. Getting what you wanted doesn't exactly come off as unfair.

Also lol at the idea of there being any successful revolutionary pathway for a minority that's unentrenched in a nation's economic, social and cultural life. Especially a minority that's largely non-revolutionary in approach to political redress.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Go on then, be specific

What does this involve other than telling indigenous people we don't want their voice.

renaming australia to “so-called australia”

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

GoldStandardConure posted:

can i compete in climbing rather than gymnastics? i am not very good at gymnastics.

you get the ribbon

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Captain Theron posted:

Hmm, so something like indigenous leaders from across the country coming together to draft a proposal for reform, like some sort of statement from the heart?

Thr statement from the heart came from the ruling classes hand picked compradors. I can link you to further reading on it if you're genuinely interested in learning more.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bald Stalin posted:

Big Malcolm X opposing Civil Rights Act energy here because it would be good enough that most wouldnt radicalise to start The Revolution.

We get it you're never going to be swayed from your Trotskyist politics and that conferring authority via a milqueyoast voice was offensive to your sensibilities

We get it.

We also get this is utterly asinine and that you have no idea where to go from here as the No vote killed all possible radicalisation by not resulting in anger for treaty but by apathy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

a milqueyoast voice

milquey moore?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

birdstrike posted:

milquey moore?

Don't make me pinch you mate :)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

you get the ribbon

gently caress yeah

ribbon

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

fez_machine posted:

The radical no hosed up fundamentally because victory failed to radicalise anyone. If there had been unanimity between all progressive voices then only the most flagrantly bought and sold right wing indigenous Australians would have been saying no. Radicalisation relies on unfairness and injustice. Getting what you wanted doesn't exactly come off as unfair.

Also lol at the idea of there being any successful revolutionary pathway for a minority that's unentrenched in a nation's economic, social and cultural life. Especially a minority that's largely non-revolutionary in approach to political redress.

This is a very good point - progressive no won but they haven't crowed or called for vocally Now The Real Fight starts because they're seen as well insane and saboteurs that no one would follow when the revolution comes. Instead they're a footnote, a bunch pointed to to illustrate that they muddied the entire concept and by doing so surrendered the very righteousness that empowered them. Instead they tried to co-opt the language if tge tes dismay at the racism that drove most of no while ignoring the question was a binary and that they won too.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

trunkh posted:

Hi ASIO.

hi! slow day in the unmarked van.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

trunkh posted:

Hi ASIO.

hey ASIO dude what's your favourite Shapes flavour

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Autisanal Cheese posted:

hey ASIO dude what's your favourite Shapes flavour

11 secret herbs and spices

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Breetai posted:

"I understood that I was voting to harm people."

Lol

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I said elsewhere that voting Yes would pretty much stall all current movement towards Treaty and push the cause back 10 years (the ALP would just keep pointing to the Voice and parroting "Look at the huge victory we achieved! What more do you want???" and the LNP and Nats and One Nation etc would just dig in harder) , but voting No would cement the idea that the general population isn't ready for this discussion and that would push the cause back 20 years.

My Yes vote was a bullshit 'harm reduction' realpolitik choice, but neither outcome was favorable. People who wanted a Treaty were getting screwed whatever the outcome. :shrug:

I'm still mad that worked as well as it did, but not really surprised. I guess the only way to counter it would have been pushing the message "Voting no is picking a side, if you're genuinely not sure you can 'abstain' by voting informal" but there wasn't really anyone in a good position to get that message out. Also I guess the AEC would have been real mad at anyone instructing people to deliberately gently caress up their vote.

Some people like Briggs tried to get people to see that voting 'no' is simply accepting the status quo of poo poo and a Yes would not affect them directly but was generally positive for Aboringal people. It didn't work and the issue got confused with everything.

It was a very milquetoast Voice that was damned either way if it didn't get bipartisan support.

It will be interesting to see how places like Victoria roll out the state level stuff and what it's powers extend to. I think NSW and SA would probably do it too and ACT will get a version.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

A Perfect Twist posted:

Lol

Some people like Briggs tried to get people to see that voting 'no' is simply accepting the status quo of poo poo and a Yes would not affect them directly but was generally positive for Aboringal people. It didn't work and the issue got confused with everything.

It was a very milquetoast Voice that was damned either way if it didn't get bipartisan support.

It will be interesting to see how places like Victoria roll out the state level stuff and what it's powers extend to. I think NSW and SA would probably do it too and ACT will get a version.

NSW has already essentially binned theirs, QLD has binned theirs, theres no political will to do it as theres empircal evidence people simply do not care enough about it.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Lid posted:

NSW has already essentially binned theirs, QLD has binned theirs, theres no political will to do it as theres empircal evidence people simply do not care enough about it.

Ooof! I thought NSW would get theirs.

Indigenous Affairs is complicated at the best of times and getting anything of value done is like herding cats.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also outrageously shocking how QLD did have bipartisan support until the referendum! Unfortunately no real way to tell whether the No vote was progressive or not. Woops!!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

A Perfect Twist posted:

SA is doing it, the election for voice representatives is on March 16th next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I think they need to read more theory.