Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

harperdc posted:

Ah yes, the old 700 m underground transfer is a feature of a couple Tokyo stations as well. Fun stuff.

Assuming you’re landing at Haneda and also departing from there, which airlines are you using? If it’s two JAL/ANA flights I wouldn’t necessarily be worried. There also should be later flights to Osaka just in case.

Yeah, sorry. It's on ANA and we're flying in to ITM from Haneda itself. There's another flight that leaves at 6 pm. I paid extra to be able to change our flights, so I think I'll do it just to be safe.

I looked this all up before, but I'm just being extra paranoid as it's fast approaching.

Once we arrive to ITM/Kansai Airport, we plan to take the Nankai Limited Express from the airport to Namba. Looks like there are trains departing every few minutes...just to be safe, am I missing anything here? We're arriving on a Monday night, if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

You'll be fine. A bus is also an option to Namba if you don't want to stand with your luggage and stuff.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Thanks, everyone. This is our second trip to Japan. The first was just a week in Tokyo that got cut even shorter because of the worst typhoon to hit the area in 50 years.This time we're doing two weeks with the first week in Kansai (Osaka and Kyoto--we'll leave Nara for a future trip) and the second week in Tokyo.

Tokyo has too much to see/do/eat, but we mostly have our Kansai trip figured out:

Monday - Arrive at ITM Airport -> Hotel -> Dotonbori that night (likely to get cut due to exhaustion...might just grab something at a convenience store)

Tuesday - Osaka - Shin Sekai in the morning -> Denden Town -> Namba Yasaka Jinja -> Dotonbori

Wednesday - Osaka + Kyoto - Umeda Sky -> Osaka station -> Train (Thunderbird or Super Hakuto) -> Gion -> Nishiki Market

Thursday - Kyoto - Kiyomizudera -> Ninenzaka -> Sannenzaka

Friday - Kyoto - Philosopher’s Walk -> Temples (Okazaki Jinja) -> Ginkaku -> Kinkaku

Saturday - Kyoto - Fujimi Inari -> Uji station area

Sunday - Kyoto + Tokyo - Arashiyama Bamboo Grove -> Tenryuji Temple + Arashiyama town -> Kyoto Station -> Shinkansen -> Tokyo Station

I can't tell if I'm trying to cram too much in or if I'll be done really early every day. I want the Kansai part of the trip to be fairly relaxing, which is why I'm trying to limit it to a handful of close together spots. If we do end up finishing early, our hotel is less than a 15 minute walk between both Gion and Nishiki Market, so we can always hop over to either.

Please judge me.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 29, 2023

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, sorry. It's on ANA and we're flying in to ITM from Haneda itself. There's another flight that leaves at 6 pm. I paid extra to be able to change our flights, so I think I'll do it just to be safe.

I looked this all up before, but I'm just being extra paranoid as it's fast approaching.

Once we arrive to ITM/Kansai Airport, we plan to take the Nankai Limited Express from the airport to Namba. Looks like there are trains departing every few minutes...just to be safe, am I missing anything here? We're arriving on a Monday night, if that makes any difference.

Might be just the wording that's confusing me, but are you flying in to Itami or Kansai Airport? You'll be fine either way, but if it's Itami, your options are either faffing around with commuter trains or taking the bus, and the bus definitely looks like the best choice.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

slinkimalinki posted:

Might be just the wording that's confusing me, but are you flying in to Itami or Kansai Airport? You'll be fine either way, but if it's Itami, your options are either faffing around with commuter trains or taking the bus, and the bus definitely looks like the best choice.

ITM · Osaka Itami Airport

I don't know why I thought Kansai and ITM were the same. Welp. Yes, looks like airport bus is the way to go. Thank you for catching that!

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 29, 2023

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Nanigans posted:

ITM · Osaka Itami Airport

I don't know why I thought Kansai and ITM were the same. Welp. Yes, looks like airport bus is the way to go. Thank you for catching that!

Tbh it's kind of confusing because Itami is formally known as "Osaka International Airport" which is misleading at best.

Edit: as far as trains go, I looked into it a couple of years back when I was supposed to be flying into Itami, and came to the conclusion that the simplest answer would be to monorail to senri-chuo, and get one of the trains at senri- chuo that goes all the way through to Namba on the midosuji line. No idea if that was a good idea though. Someone in thread may have experimented with Itami airport and found the perfect answer.

Looks like you'll have time to catch the bus though, so probably a moot point.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 29, 2023

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Get the bus from Itami into Namba, the trains are too much of a hassle. If you were going to Umeda the train would be OK.

edit: also that's a good Kyoto schedule

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
TeamLab botanical garden review: it’s a bunch of eggs.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Unko Museum review: it's lovely

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

TeamLab botanical garden review: it’s a bunch of eggs.

I liked it better than Planets. I think both are a waste of time if time is limited. Wife would probably disagree.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's what I said. Borderless is/was the good one.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My wife is into sofubi. Anywhere in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto that's recommended to find some?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

That's what I said. Borderless is/was the good one.

What about teamLab Forests in fukuoka? I liked Borderless a lot but I got time to kill in Fukuoka.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Speaking of TeamLab Planets, if you can’t fit in the provided shorts can you still do it and just skip the wading through water section? One of our group is worried they won’t have shorts that fit their size and doesn’t have clothing that’ll roll up to the knees.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

Speaking of TeamLab Planets, if you can’t fit in the provided shorts can you still do it and just skip the wading through water section? One of our group is worried they won’t have shorts that fit their size and doesn’t have clothing that’ll roll up to the knees.

Yeah, you should be able to bypass the wading rooms. Also consider wearing a mask to help with the smell in some of the wet rooms. It wasn't there in most of them but a couple of the water ones definitely did smell.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can skip all the water rooms. And definitely skip the stinky foot room. It looks like a big uneven bounce house or something. Oh, so that's 1/2 the exhibits.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Skip nothing.
If your friend needs to source large shorts, check Shimamura or Sakazen.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Nanigans posted:

My wife is into sofubi. Anywhere in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto that's recommended to find some?
Akihabara and Nakano in Tokyo, just off the top of my head. The Mandarake chain store of collectibles has major locations there, as well as in Osaka, and there should be a few other stores that also have them in the vicinity.

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 30, 2023

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

Skip nothing.
If your friend needs to source large shorts, check Shimamura or Sakazen.
I’ll have to look out for those, thanks! Shes a bit self conscious about her legs so skipping the water part altogether and sticking with jeans might be better regardless.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Nebuta museum in Aomori is a really pro experience. Try to catch a live performance of the music and get your ears blasted by a huge taiko drum, then watch a bunch of strangers sync up on a simple beat. Plus the interactive parts of the museum where they do indulge in your desire to touch the floats.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

cheese eats mouse posted:

Nebuta museum in Aomori is a really pro experience. Try to catch a live performance of the music and get your ears blasted by a huge taiko drum, then watch a bunch of strangers sync up on a simple beat. Plus the interactive parts of the museum where they do indulge in your desire to touch the floats.

It is cool. Also that general area next to the harbor is a nice spot to have a meal.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

There are so many worse choices than TeamLabs. At least TeamLabs "feels" like the Japan a lot of tourists expect to see when they visit- vaguely techy artistic stuff with polite staff. Getting absolutely horrible food at any of the major licensed cafes like Pokemon/Harry Potter, wasting money at the robot cafe, praying they don't harm the animals at animal cafes and many many other mid tourist traps are far larger wastes of time and money.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Walking around barefoot in that one TeamLabs is pretty gross tbh

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
So...would any of you recommend trying to get some chanko nabe whilst on a Japan trip? Anything one should look for like..which Tokyo burb is gonna have the good stuff haha

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Ryogoku is your best bet. That's where all the sumo stuff is, so chanko restaurants are a-plenty.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Revitalized posted:

What about teamLab Forests in fukuoka? I liked Borderless a lot but I got time to kill in Fukuoka.

I really liked the other Teamlab stuff I've seen but forests kind of sucks. The main installation just doesn't work well. The app sucks at tracking your position. It's also a bit hokey to be using your phone instead of the more natural touch interaction at their other installations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

cheese eats mouse posted:

Well, looks like my notes doc of stuff I wanna see on my next trip has started before this trip is even half done!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Asteroid Alert posted:

Ryogoku is your best bet. That's where all the sumo stuff is, so chanko restaurants are a-plenty.

Thanks! I'll research stuff there!

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
The way they sell TeamLabs Planets on their website is awesome, the “uneven bounce castle” room had a huge Stalker vibe on their videos. But then I realized there would be 30 goobs trying to cross it in poor lightning at a time and it didn’t appear so appealing anyway.

Then I come here and see people describing it as a stinky feet room. Uhhhhh

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That room is like a giant beanbag, I basically had give my mother-in-law a piggy back ride through it because she can't lift her legs high enough after hip surgery.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's also so uneven that you have to be really careful where you step. It's easy to take a weird step and hurt yourself. And it smells because it is the first room after the first place people get their feet wet. And even though there is a foot drying room in between, even if everyone were to make sure their feet were 100% dry before moving on (they don't) you'd still have a ton of freshly moistened feet wandering through there constantly.

It's gross.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
People also linger in the room when it specifically says you shouldn't causing even more over crowding so yeah...people suck.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I guess I was lucky, having gone after they had a day off for cleaning/replacing water. I didn't have any smell and everything was clean and mold free. However, half of the TeamLabs events, like everything in Tokyo, is just there because they needed filler and is really bad. The flower room was total rear end, the outdoor egg room was total rear end.

Right now I lean heavy toward recommending itineraries to Japan that don't include any of the major tourist trap items, unless they are super duper into a specific thing before ever going.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I've had chanko nabe a few times and isn't really anything special imho, at least not worth spending time or money on. I mean it's not bad but it's nothing crazy to make a stop for

It's just a fairly light cabbage, tofu and pork meatball "stew" in a fairly watery broth. I don't even know why sumo wrestlers still eat it to "get big" or whatever considering you can get way higher calorie foods for cheaper and less work without the vegetables filling you up. Maybe it was high calorie like 100 years ago but these days it's drat near a healthy soup.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Sumo wrestlers are basically body builders with additional mass. They're trying to build that mass while staying relatively healthy. They still have to watch what they eat like any other professional athlete.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think they eat a shitload of chankonabe.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Shammypants posted:

There are so many worse choices than TeamLabs. At least TeamLabs "feels" like the Japan a lot of tourists expect to see when they visit- vaguely techy artistic stuff with polite staff. Getting absolutely horrible food at any of the major licensed cafes like Pokemon/Harry Potter, wasting money at the robot cafe, praying they don't harm the animals at animal cafes and many many other mid tourist traps are far larger wastes of time and money.

Very very good post

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
There’s honestly nothing wrong with indulging in a tourist trap tbh.

My friend who’s here for the first time said going to the renewed robot restaurant thing was the first time they didn’t feel homesick because it’s so fake and artificial that it felt like a “Japanese live performance” happening back in Ireland rather than actually being in Japan.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It’s back???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
I loved going to the Robot Restaurant 2 days into my first ever trip to Japan 6 years ago. The whole country was overwhelming, and the show mimicked that even if it was nothing but a giant tourist trap ripoff. But now there's no way I would even want to go to that when I can spend a day at Tokyu Hands looking at pens. I kind of miss that feeling, though.