Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

V. Illych L. posted:

you have to make space on your hand and then you click the little message saying "claim reward"

it's the single weirdest thing in an otherwise pretty well designed interface

Also ty for this btw, what tripped me up is that you have to click the message but not the little mail icon for extremely stupid reasons

I'm nearing actually finishing the Victory in the West campaign, and I think I've finally figured out how to use set pieces after digging into the manual talking about how fortifications work. One thing that also didn't quite click for me is that they can be extremely useful for rolling the dice on retreats without risking any KIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Also ty for this btw, what tripped me up is that you have to click the message but not the little mail icon for extremely stupid reasons

I'm nearing actually finishing the Victory in the West campaign, and I think I've finally figured out how to use set pieces after digging into the manual talking about how fortifications work. One thing that also didn't quite click for me is that they can be extremely useful for rolling the dice on retreats without risking any KIA

Yeah, I did the same thing in my Victory in the West run; UOC2 really benefits from RTDM. Right now I'm working through Blitzkrieg, which isn't too bad though I'm gonna have to restart my Polish Plain scenario because I'm just not gonna hit the objectives on time.

Edit: Playing on normal or whatever is between classic and easy.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Oct 29, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
I've been playing Alpha Centauri again. I'm working on modding the original factions a bit, giving each of them a little bit more diversity and personality and a little more oomph as well. I'm testing them out as I go. Would anyone be interested in my words/pictures as I contemplate the game mechanics, consider the personality of a faction, and ruminate on the game, its mechanics and their connection to the US ideology of 1999. I'm playtesting my changes to Yang and I'll probably do Pravin Lal next, I think I've got some good ideas for both.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Oct 30, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yes let's see some Alpha Centauri

"uh, let me be clear. If you like your wife, you can clone her"

- Pravin Lal

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
We'll begin with how to start playing Alpha Centauri in the year of Our Lord 2023. The process was almost painless. We'll be adding a bugfix patch and a UI patch. You too can be playing Alpha Centauri in about 10 minutes or so.

1. Buy Alpha Centauri from gog.com. It is $6 at full price.
https://www.gog.com/en/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri
3. Download and install the game
2. WAIT! before you install it make sure you copy the install directory you use to notepad in case the patches don't automatically find it.
4. The official patches are already installed, you don't need to do anything there.
5. Install Scient's patch. There are other bugfix patches but I picked this one because a youtuber (Mandelore Gaming) recommended it to me. There are other patches but this seems to fix the most bugs without touching the actual gameplay. Just download and run the executable from this stranger on the internet. Make sure it goes to the correct directory (from step 3).
https://github.com/DrazharLn/scient-unofficial-smacx-patch/releases
6. Install the PRACX patch. This is a UI patch that adds things like zooming in and out. It brings the UI to at least semi-modern standards. I wouldn't reccomend playing Alpha Centauri without it. Once again just download the executable from the same stranger from the internet and execute it. And once again double check that the install directory is correct.
https://github.com/DrazharLn/pracx/releases
7. Go into your Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri folder and double click terranx.exe file to start it. You may want to make a shortcut somewhere.

That should just about do it! Here's the video of the intro to the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=035cpHEowS4
And here's the intro updated for 2020, remember 2020?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY9uZeAjl9I

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hell yes let's see some Alpha Centauri

"uh, let me be clear. If you like your wife, you can clone her"

- Pravin Lal

Pravin Lal is probably the one I gave the biggest buff too, I may have overdone it but I was truly inspired by modern liberalism. I've also buffed Yang and Deidre and made a small change to the rest. Basically everybody no longer takes the penalties from their favored Social Engineering choice as it often seems to be already integrated into the faction.

I've now got two questions. Who should I play as? And should any of the original 7 Factions be subbed out for somebody from the expansion, Alien Crossfire. I could play as one my buffed factions to see how they play or play as somebody else to see how they perform as AI.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Oct 30, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yang does not need gameplay buffs, he's by far the strongest faction from my experience.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Amazing, thanks for the Alpha Centauri primer. gonna grab it and play, since I’m on a retro strategy game kick. Currently discovering the Stronghold series that I completely missed out on first time around, just in time for Stronghold HD in a few days.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Domai and the Free Drones from the expansion have always been my preferred faction for obvious reasons, but the problem with the expansion factions is that the original faction list is so good that removing any of them feels like a huge omission

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mister Bates posted:

Domai and the Free Drones from the expansion have always been my preferred faction for obvious reasons, but the problem with the expansion factions is that the original faction list is so good that removing any of them feels like a huge omission

the expansion factions in particular the free drones are wildly unbalanced

-20% mineral cost to EVERYTHING is just way too good

BearsBearsBears posted:

Pravin Lal is probably the one I gave the biggest buff too, I may have overdone it but I was truly inspired by modern liberalism. I've also buffed Yang and Deidre and made a small change to the rest. Basically everybody no longer takes the penalties from their favored Social Engineering choice as it often seems to be already integrated into the faction.

I've now got two questions. Who should I play as? And should any of the original 7 Factions be subbed out for somebody from the expansion, Alien Crossfire. I could play as one my buffed factions to see how they play or play as somebody else to see how they perform as AI.
Morgans have the most interesting play style imo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Domai is crazy strong, yeah.

What? Malus to science output due to focus on practical results? I can't hear you over the sound of all the labs I'm rapidly constructing.

Hive is better at ICS tho. Go planned police state and never look back.

e: looking up a post I made a decade ago:

quote:

I know. I've only ever played a game like that once. Setting up a governor in every city to handle tile assignments (and nothing else) helps cut down the micromanagement, and so does setting up a full build queue in every city and only updating it in emergencies, or when it empties. You can even cut down on former micro if you automate them and set the options for them to only build roads, sensors and forests. The sad thing about AC is that it has amazing tools to help you cut down on the tedium on focus on the fun parts of the game, but never tells you how to use them.

Does anyone have a particular challenge they enjoy? Mine is doing a science victory on huge maps with Domai and tech-stagnation. (Without abusing tedious mechanics like ICS and crawler spam)
edit: The trick being that it's actually really hard to get enough research in 300 turns.

my dad has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Oct 30, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

my dad posted:

Yang does not need gameplay buffs, he's by far the strongest faction from my experience.

I would disagree, Yang is one of the weaker factions in the game, however his AI is one of the better ones. I suppose this is as good a time as any to introduce Yang, my musings on him, and my modifications.

Yang also has a secret unlisted bonus where his Efficiency cannot go below zero.

To me the inspiration for Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang and his Human Hive faction seem very obvious. It is very heavily inspired by the Eastasia from the novel 1984 by beloved author George Orwell, a man who accused Charlie Chaplin of being a Stalinist. Eastasia itself was inspired by the lurid propaganda coming out about Red China and that Orwell had drunk eagerly and deeply from. Let's see what our boy George wrote Eastasia.

1984 posted:

None of the three super-states could be definitively conquered even by the other two in combination. They are too evenly matched, and their natural defences are too formidable. Eurasia is protected by its vast land spaces. Oceania by the width of the Atlantic and the Pacific, Eastasia by the fecundity and industriousness of its inhabitants.

1984 posted:

In Oceania the prevailing philosophy is called Ingsoc, in Eurasia it is called Neo-Bolshevism, and in Eastasia it is called by a Chinese name usually translated as Death-Worship, but perhaps better rendered as Obliteration of the Self. The citizen of Oceania is not allowed to know anything of the tenets of the other two philosophies, but he is taught to execrate them as barbarous outrages upon morality and common sense. Actually the three philosophies are barely distinguishable, and the social systems which they support are not distinguishable at all.

Eastasia's advantages are the fecundity and industriousness of its inhabitants, which are perfectly matched by the +1 GROWTH and +1 INDUSTRY of the Yang's Human Hive. The political philosophy of Eastasia is called the Obliteration of the Self, which also matches Yang's philosophy of the total subsumption of the individual into the group. Finally, Yang's advantages in running a Planned Economy and a Police State also match on to what we know about the politics of Eastasia, which is said to be very similar to how Oceania is run in the novel.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 21:49 on Oct 30, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Mister Bates posted:

Typo posted:

Morgans have the most interesting play style imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mokotow posted:

just in time for Stronghold HD in a few days.

For anyone else (like me) that got excited about this, it's "Stronghold Definitive Edition" and it's releasing in a week. Redone graphics, two new campaigns by the original devs, and Steam multi-player.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
woah

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Having flashbacks to being forced to setup a lather production line just to build crossbows to kill attacking knights again.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Don't forget about Yang's Efficiency not being able to go below zero.

Let's move on to Yang in gameplay, starting with his advantages, roughly from least important to most. He has free perimeter defense in every base, which gives a defensive bonus when being attacked. He has +1 Growth which makes new citizens cost 10% less Nutrients. He has +1 Industry which makes building things cost 10% less Minerals. Finally his Efficiency cannot go below zero. Efficiency is a Society Effect (like Growth and Industry) that determines how efficiently you can run a large empire. Low Efficiency reduces the amount of Energy (Money) you get from your distant bases and increases the amount of Drones (Unhappy workers) you get from having a lot of bases while high Efficiency does the opposite.

Yang's Efficiency not being able to go below zero is the key to his faction. It lets him run two Social Engineering choices that normally have Efficiency penalties without suffering from them. He can (and should) run a Planned Economy and a Police State. Planned Economy gives him a bit of extra Growth and Industry which adds to the inherent bonuses the Human Hive already has. Police State gives you extra Police and Support. High Support lets your bases "support" more units without you having to pay extra minerals every turn, the extra Support from Police State lets Yang support a whopping 4 upkeep-free units per base. High Police lets units stationed in your bases turn one Drone (Unhappy worker) into one normal worker. The higher your Police rating, the more units you can use as police in each base. By itself, Police state lets you use 3 units as police neutralizing up to 3 drones.

The strategy seem obvious, use your high support and high police to neutralize your drones for free, sparing your crappy economy from the upkeep of anti-drone buildings. You can also use your Industry and Support to build up a large army and conquer your neighbor. If you commit to an aggressive strategy you need to execute it fast, your crappy Economy means you have crappy research and even if you do get a new military research mid-war you have a difficult time scrounging up the Energy to upgrade your units. However, I favor a different strategy with Yang. I have one or two units guarding each base and then I build a 2-3 Formers (terraformers) per base and have them go nuts on terraforming my territory. My high Support means the Formers aren't a drag on my economy and they can do their business on making my cities incredibly productive. Don't worry about Eco-Damage because more Mindworms means you can harvest more pearls from them. The pearls give you Energy, which you desperately need in the early game. I call this strategy "Great Plan for the Transformation of Nature". If you can get the Weather Paradigm then you can add Thermal Boreholes to really juice your economy up. The Weather Paradigm secret project is great for Yang and also probably every single other faction in the game.

Historical Note: The People's Republic of China didn't get its UN seat until 1971, This would have been 28 years ago in 1999. The lead designer of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Brian Reynolds, would have been 4 years old at the time.

Some ideological notes. Yang has the same inherent bonuses as Planned Economy yet his Preference is Police State. He usually runs both of course. His penalty to Economy doesn't come from any of the existing Social Engineering choices but is similar enough to the default Efficiency penalties of Planned Economy and Police State. I think Yang and his Human Hive is 'coded' as being Red China. I would need to look at more US propaganda about China from before 1999 to make a more accurate assessment but this feels right to me. So Yang + Planned + Police State lets him have good Growth, Industry, Police, and Support but poor Economy. In Earth terms this would translate to a massive population, large amounts of industry, a large army, and an impressive level of internal control of their own population but held back by a poor economy. I think this maps very well onto perceptions of China in 1999. Of course, around mid-game my Energy worries usually go away as I've terraformed enough forests/solar collectors/thermal boreholes to solve that problem.

Here's a screenshot of my economy from when I played Yang this weekend. If you look at mid-game you can see when I finally solved my economy problems. I had a bunch of unexpected wars early game that really delayed me being able to set everything up properly.

Coming up next. Yang's disadvantages, especially his secret disadvantage of having the worst growth in the game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

gradenko_2000 posted:

For anyone else (like me) that got excited about this, it's "Stronghold Definitive Edition" and it's releasing in a week. Redone graphics, two new campaigns by the original devs, and Steam multi-player.

They’ve been trying to make good stronghold happen again since like 2003.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yang is every yankee racist fear about East Asia in the 90s combined into one faction.

Running a milion terraformers is how I usually played Yang. It feeds into the ICS, too. Grabbing Weather Paradigm is something you desperately want, too.

I'll note that I tended to play on arid maps, which make formers a lot more valuable (and it played into my habit of just making GBS threads out forests everywhere when I had nothing better to do).

As a sidenote, the interaction between the pollution mechanic, ICS, and the tree farm buiding chain is hilarious.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Ok so when I play SMAC, I always end up way behind the AI in everything but especially military even on easy and usually just build tall on some godforsaken island.

What is a good guideline for what I should be doing in the early game? Should I be spamming bases everywhere, if so, how far away from each other?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
ICS is "Infinite City Spam" and it was the objectively correct way to play that era of Civ, and carries over pretty well into SMAC too

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

skooma512 posted:

Ok so when I play SMAC, I always end up way behind the AI in everything but especially military even on easy and usually just build tall on some godforsaken island.

What is a good guideline for what I should be doing in the early game? Should I be spamming bases everywhere, if so, how far away from each other?

I haven't played the game in a very long time, so I'm probably misremembering some stuff, but I routinely beat the game on Transcendent difficulty.

I prefer somewhat closer colonies, it's OK to overlap radius. When choosing where to settle, it's much better to have a few good tiles than a bunch of mediocre ones. No matter how lovely a tile is, you can always turn it into a 1-2-1 forest.

Lots of formers + colonies + lovely 1-1-1 guys running around scouting generaly handles the early game pretty well. I cannot emphasize enough how huge of a deal formers are.

Specialized units > generalists. lovely 1-1-1 guys can be upgraded to what you need when you need at a reasonable cost in an emergency.

Midgame, you really want to grab the techs that let you get >2 yields from a tile. Supply crawlers also break the game in half, but are kind of a pain in the rear end to set up and defend correctly.

Don't feel the need to buid every buiding in every colony. Focus on what actually matters to you right now, and what your colony can make better use of.

The tree farm building chain can completely eliminate pollution from all your colonies if you're playing wide enough.

Speleothing posted:

ICS is "Infinite City Spam" and it was the objectively correct way to play that era of Civ, and carries over pretty well into SMAC too

Yeah. It's unfortunate, but that's how the game works.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

skooma512 posted:

Who are you playing as and what Social Engineering choices do you usually run?

my dad posted:

I prefer somewhat closer colonies, it's OK to overlap radius. When choosing where to settle, it's much better to have a few good tiles than a bunch of mediocre ones. No matter how lovely a tile is, you can always turn it into a 1-2-1 forest.

Lots of formers + colonies + lovely 1-1-1 guys running around scouting generaly handles the early game pretty well. I cannot emphasize enough how huge of a deal formers are.

Specialized units > generalists. lovely 1-1-1 guys can be upgraded to what you need when you need at a reasonable cost in an emergency.

Midgame, you really want to grab the techs that let you get >2 yields from a tile. Supply crawlers also break the game in half, but are kind of a pain in the rear end to set up and defend correctly.

Don't feel the need to buid every buiding in every colony. Focus on what actually matters to you right now, and what your colony can make better use of.

The tree farm building chain can completely eliminate pollution from all your colonies if you're playing wide enough.

These are all good pieces of advice. I prefer minimum (or none) overlap on colonies but close colonies work very well. I personally don't like the look and feel of ICS or even semi-ICS, the computer usually avoids doing it so I feel safe doing so as well. One thing you can also do is make colonies the good distance from each other (enough so there's minimum overlap) until you are hemmed in by the other factions and then fill in your territory with more cities if you need to.

What I usually do is build a bunch of scout guys early on and then build a colony pod every time I see a fancy bonus resource I want to grab until I run out of space. Only then do I start upgrading my cities. A lot of your scouts will die but they'll pay for themselves in bonuses from the unity pods and the Mindworms. Fighting against the Mindworms uses Psi-Combat, weapons and armor are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is your Morale (Green, Veteran, Elite, Etc...) and who is attacking, the attacking party gets a massive +25% bonus to the combat. Later on you'll get abilities, weapons, and armor that affect Psi-Combat as well but early game just build the scout patrols.

my dad posted:

This needs to be emphasized more. Building a 2-2-1 (attack-defense-movement) unit costs you as much Minerals as building both a 2-1-1 and a 1-2-1. More complicated units are a lot more expensive than you would think since the cost increase isn't linear. One thing you may have missed, when you attack only your units' attack rating matters and when you defend only your units' defense rating matters.. The units defense rating doesn't matter if you're not defending.

If you're defending a city with one unit then it should be a 1-Max-1 unit with whatever the highest defense rating you can get is. I also like to put Hypnotic Trance on that unit to defend again Mindworms. If you need to add a second unit, it should be a high attack unit instead of another high defense unit. When an enemy unit gets near your base, hit it with your attack unit and then retreat inside your own base. I like to have my attack unit have high mobility as well so I can rove out a bit. Sensors are a terraforming improvement that can really help with this strategy.

I'll be writing about Pop Booming soon. The short version is if you can get +6 Growth (Children's Creche + Planned Economy + Democratic) then you can get one population every single turn for as long as you have 2 surplus nutrients. This is a lot better than waiting 7+ turns for your cities to grow naturally.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Oct 31, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
here's a question: I've often heard that Supply Crawlers are OP in SMAC, and that it becomes easy to beat the AI because the human knows how to use it, and the AI does not

well... I don't know how to use it. How does it work and why is it so powerful?

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

here's a question: I've often heard that Supply Crawlers are OP in SMAC, and that it becomes easy to beat the AI because the human knows how to use it, and the AI does not

Supply Crawlers are great. They're upkeep free and give the base they're built at free resources when doing their supply crawling. Citizens give you all 3 resources but they also cost 2 nutrients in upkeep per turn, plus buildings or police to keep them from turning into drones, and they're limited in how many you can have per city and where they can work.

I like to use them on tiles that my base can't work. If you use them on high mineral tiles they can pay for themselves in a relatively short number of turns. On the other hand if you use them for Nutrients then you can turn more people in their home base into specialists. 2 Nutrients --> 3 labs or econ in the early game. These labs or econ you get are immune to inefficiency penalties and get multiplied by the various base buildings you have. And specialists only get better as the game goes on and they can't be turned into Drones. In general, if your base is at the max population it can support then you should have as little food surplus as possible, just turn all those guys into specialists.

I don't really use Crawlers for energy and I'm not sure it would be much good, I'm usually swimming in energy by the time it makes sense to use them. Crawlers can also be converted back into minerals at any base, this is very useful for rushing Secret Projects that one of the other factions unfairly started before you could.

The tricky part is they need to be kept safe so you need to clear the area of xenofungus first. I don't think I've ever tried putting Hypnotic Trance on them, maybe it would work. I would definitely prioritize them behind Formers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I like how Unity of Command 2 has bridge demolition as a completely useless option for your HQs and then in the Disaster in Greece scenario where it'd actually be useful your HQ doesn't have it

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Speleothing posted:

my dad posted:

Yeah. It's unfortunate, but that's how the game works.

ICS (Infinite City/Colony Spam/Sprawl) is the strategy that revolves around putting down as many cities as possible without regard for the quality of the terrain they're one. A new city gives you 1 free worked tile, allows you to support more units without upkeep, and gives you a free citizen to work a single tile or become a specialist. There aren't a lot of Facilities (buildings) you can build in your base early on that can compete with that. There are the Recycling Tanks which give you +1/+1/+1 (Nutrients/Minerals/Energy) but those are even better when you ICS. To be clear to the new players, ICSing is good but isn't necessary to win, especially on normal (Librarian) and lower difficulties. It can be tedious to micromanage so I personally avoid it.

my dad posted:

Yang is every yankee racist fear about East Asia in the 90s combined into one faction.

Running a milion terraformers is how I usually played Yang. It feeds into the ICS, too. Grabbing Weather Paradigm is something you desperately want, too.

I'll note that I tended to play on arid maps, which make formers a lot more valuable (and it played into my habit of just making GBS threads out forests everywhere when I had nothing better to do).

As a sidenote, the interaction between the pollution mechanic, ICS, and the tree farm buiding chain is hilarious.

Oddly enough I usually play on rainy maps and I still wind up mostly putting forests everywhere. They're just so fast to put down and they scale all the way up to the endgame. I build a few farms+solar panels until I get enough food to grow that base to seven and then I put down forests on all the other squares. I often play with the extra rocky map setting to break this up a bit.

I feel like Yang is one of factions that can afford to miss the Weather Paradigm (Double Terraforming speed) secret project, just because he can have so many terraformers. You still want it though because it's one of the best project in the early game. Why should the AI get it when they're not even that good at terraforming?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

skooma512 posted:

without doing obvsly broken poo poo like ICS or crawler spam just build cities around 3-4 tiles from each other: you want to stay near river systems or in coastal areas

goal of the game is to max out your population asap

tech towards formers (centauri ecology) asap, then "social studies" or whichever tech it is that gives you recreation commons for the +2 happiness. If you are University or Gaia try to get secrets of human brain first for the free tech

farms+forests are very easy to implement infraustructure for your cities to be productive: you can spam tree farms in the midgame

for social engineering go democratic+planned to max out growth early game. Free market is really good midgame if you aren't fighting wars and done expanding.

weather paragdim is the best wonder in the whole game and kinda broken: get it in early game if you can

if the A.I demands tech from you early game always give, there's no real disadvantage to giving it away and you avoid game-ending wars before you are ready

University/Peacekeeper/Hive are beginner friendly factions imo

Typo has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Oct 31, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

gradenko_2000 posted:

most important resource in any civ game is population, but that is constrained by things like food upkeep and happiness requirement. In general getting population is a pretty long and painstaking process.

supply crawlers are basically population free from those constraints, they fundamentally break a core game mechanic

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

gradenko_2000 posted:

most important resource in any civ game is population, but that is constrained by things like food upkeep and happiness requirement. In general getting population is a pretty long and painstaking process.

supply crawlers are basically population but free from those constraints, they fundamentally break a core game mechanic

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Gaia is a very beginner friendly civ I think. Especially if you like unleashing man-made horrors beyond comprehension on your neighbors.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

sullat posted:

Gaia is a very beginner friendly civ I think. Especially if you like unleashing man-made horrors beyond comprehension on your neighbors.

gaia's a rush civ. its beginner friendly in that its not that hard but not at all beginner friendly because you interact with very few of the systems you need to learn to succeed with every other civ

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can just play the game on Talent difficulty and have a good time.

I just randomly picked up the game and had a nice casual session from start to finish on it without the computer civs giving me any trouble.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

You can just play the game on Talent difficulty and have a good time.

I just randomly picked up the game and had a nice casual session from start to finish on it without the computer civs giving me any trouble.

that's true, last time i actually played was pbem

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
On to Yang's gameplay disadvantages. He has two big disadvantages, his economy and his population growth. Earlier I treated his population growth as being very good because he can effortlessly get +3 Growth but actually he has a big problem with growing. However, let's look at his Economy first.

Yang has -2 Economy. This gives a relatively mild penalty of -1 energy per base (min 0). It makes your early game difficult but you can eventually get enough Energy from other sources to overcome it. However, this penalty also prevents him from using the Free Market policy to get his Economy rating up to +2, Yang + Free Market only takes his Economy rating to 0. +2 Economy is the magical breakpoint for when Economy gives you +1 Energy per square worked, this is basically the entire reason why people run Free Market. If you need energy, you run Free Market and you need Energy a lot in Alpha Centauri. It is used to maintain the Facilities in your bases and used to rush construction of those selfsame Facilities (or military units, or non-military units, or Secret Projects (Wonders)). You can also use Energy to upgrade your units, for bribing other factions, and for bribes/mind control when doing spy stuff. Energy is also used for researching things, this is called "Labs" in the game because you're using the energy to power your Labs (and because the term Research is used for something else). The Energy that goes to your Labs is your primary method of getting new technologies in the early game and you need energy to maintain the Facilities that multiply that Labs income, this is all competing with all the other things you want to use Energy for. There's one more thing you can use energy for and that's making your Citizens happy. You make your citizens happy to prevent them from Rioting and to cause Golden Ages. More on Golden Ages later.

Yang gets +1 Growth and can easily get +2 more from running Planned Economy. +3 Growth reduces the number of Nutrients you need to get a new Citizen by 30%, +4 reduces it by 40%,, +5/50%, and finally +6 gives you a Population Boom. A Population Boom gives you one population a turn until you don't have two Nutrients to spare or you hit the Habitation limits (7 early game for most Factions). It takes something like 7-10+ turns to normally grow a single population for a low population base, this can go up even higher for high population bases. So there is a massive difference between +5 and +6 Growth. So how do you get +6 Growth? It's not actually that hard, you need a Children's Creche which is a Facility (building) that gives you +2 growth in that City, then you get +2 from a Planned Economy, and you get +2 more from running a Democracy. Here's where we get Yang's problem, he can't run a Democracy.

Here are all the Social Engineering choices in the game. You get to unlock the Political and Economic choices in the early game, the Values are unlocked roughly mid-game, and your Faction's vision for a Future Society is only unlocked late-game. All the choices except the base ones come with both bonuses and penalties; although there are Secret Projects that remove the downsides of certain Social Engineering choices. That's why some of my choices have no red icons. You'll notice there's no Democratic choice at the top, that's because I'm playing as Yang.

Alright, so you can't do a normal Pop Boom strategy if you can't run either Democracy or Planned Economy. This affects Yang and Morgan (Capitalists) and a few of the expansion Factions that we won't talk about. There is another method of get a +2 to Growth and that's Golden Ages. You get a Golden Age in a city when you have at least as many Talents (happy citizens) as normal workers/specialists and you don't have any Drones (unhappy citizens). The easiest way to get Talents is to divert some of your energy to making your Citizens happy; Morgan has an easy time of this while Yang really struggles with getting Energy income early game. It's the same problem as with diverting energy to research, you need Energy both to divert it to making your citizens happy and to maintain the facilities that multiply that Psych (Energy used for making your Citizens happy). Morgan meanwhile is swimming in energy and doesn't need to grow a lot because his early game bases max out at 4 population. Yang could switch some of his Citizens to Doctors and use police to suppress any drones so it's not impossible for have a Golden Age, but it is harder than for him than for the other Factions. it might be harder for the -1 Growth Factions from the Expansion but they're supposed to have a hard time growing, Yang on the other hand is supposed to have Growth as an advantage.

So there is the problem as I see it. Yang is supposed to be a Growth Faction but is one of the worst at Growth. The solution seemed obvious to me, give Yang +2 Growth instead of +1. This takes him from being one of the worst at Growth to being unarguably the best. You just need Planned + Children's Creche to Pop Boom. It's a very powerful ability, but one that limits itself due to Hab limits. He's not doing anything other factions can't, he just gets to do it a lot easier. The one problem I can see is that Yang is one of the Factions that the AI is actually pretty decent at and by making Pop Booming so easy that AI will actually do it. I've played as him and had fun and now we'll see how the AI does with him.

Here's my new and improved Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang. You'll notice that I also slightly modified the highlighting and also hosed up the indentation a bit, I fixed after this screenshot.

I also made another modification after playtesting. I removed his ability that prevents his Efficiency from going below zero and replaced it with being immune to the negative consequences of Police State and Planned Economy. Those of you who've played Alpha Centauri may be confused right now because this change doesn't seem to actually do anything. It actually does do something, previously his ability prevented his Efficiency from going below zero but penalties still applied before adding up all your bonuses. This allows you to better mix and match Police State and Planned with Social Engineering choices that increase efficiency. This makes the following combinations more viable.
Police State + Green Economy = Climate Stalin
Police State + Planned + Knowledge = Sharashka
Police State + Planned + Cybernetics = Project Cybersyn (or Project OGAS)

I've also completed my modifications to the rest of the original 7 Factions. The most changed is Pravin Lal, the least changed is Zhakorov. As a modder I am unilaterally declaring my modded version of Yang balanced, his Faction's power level is roughly where I want all the factions to be. This will be the first game I'm playing with the full changes I've made for all the Factions, my last game was just with Yang with +1 Growth. I'll probably be playing as Morgan. I plan to play a normal sized map with that's Rocky, Rainy, and overrun with Xenofungus. I'll be playing at Librarian difficulty, this is the difficulty where neither you nor the AI get any advantages.

I usually play with tech trading off, should I have it on for this game? Morgan can buy a lot of technology.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Oct 31, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Here are all human Factions in the game. The top six and Deidre are the ones from the original game. The other five are from the expansion, there are also two Factions of the same alien race that aren't in this image. The expansion factions are usually considered to be less well-written than the original seven. That being said, most people do usually like one or two of the new Factions with the Free Drones often being considered a stand-out.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Oct 31, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if it's not too much trouble, can I ask you about the various UI enhancements that are introduced by the fan-made patches/mods? You mentioned that it's important and I'd like to gain some perspective because finding out what a UI is designed to convey is usually a good insight into how a game should be played "properly"

BearsBearsBears posted:

I usually play with tech trading off, should I have it on for this game? Morgan can buy a lot of technology.

I would vote to keep it off

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I see some Alpha Centauri and of course I have to do a bit of shameless plugging. From the best games ever megathread

dead gay comedy forums posted:

thread gives me an excuse to practice writing, and I am taking it

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

(First of all, let's make a historic correction of record that this game should've been called Brian Reynold's Alpha Centauri, for he was the lead designer of this jewel.)

When I think of this game nowadays, I feel that there is a lot missing in the usual discussions and remembrances of it, especially towards its feel. SMAC, as it is affectionately known, is Millennialism: the Game for me. Released in 1999, it was a true product of its time. Games were getting really ambitious as there was more money to go around, capital costs for development were stable and fairly tolerable in terms of risk (so you could literally afford to be more creative), managerial overgrowth didn't start to creep in; publishers were open to novel ideas, especially from more established studios; developers and game-makers had far less to worry about the market wanted or not. These circumstances were some that contributed to create a peculiar dynamic moment in the industry, perhaps its most vibrant phase - Alpha Centauri wouldn’t be made today because it couldn’t be made today. I mean, check these lists out:

This is a list of superheavy hitters, genre-spanning and genre-defining. This is more than two decades ago, and many of their benchmarks and conventions established are still to be overcome, to be challenged, to be innovated upon. Game development at its cutting edge - with some studios that became household names from their efforts from that period - enjoying far more resources than ever, seems incapable of casting off such long shadows when they could do so much more.

Back to the tail-end of the 20th Century. Having established that games were getting Really Good, let’s move on, shall we? Meanwhile, in the world, interesting things happened. In 98, you had stuff like the Good Friday agreements, the Euro accord, Clinton with his balanced budgets, dictators like Suharto stepping down and Pinochet arrested... The world was coming together into a better place? Neoliberalism was winning? If you were in the rich part of the world and also in the right side of the society there, it could look like that, if you didn’t care for a finer reading of what was going around you.

At the same time, Clinton was getting impeached for being a total loving scumbag ("but less so than a Nixon or a Reagan!") the Balkans were being stoked into a fire, India and Pakistan were arming themselves with nukes, Iraq had to be bombed again (not for the last time) and Europe agreed to prohibit human cloning in a major Union commission about the matter. In the Far East, China was about to soar further than ever before in its relevance to worldwide capitalism. This brave new world was going somewhere strange.

1999 had a foreboding feel. Y2K was coming up; NATO bombs the poo poo out of Yugoslavia; Dow Jones for the first time ever soars past 10K; a human chromosome was decoded in its entirety in a landmark scientific achievement; Columbine kids are shot and Napster goes live; Microsoft stocks soar making Bill Gates the richest man while nail bombs by neo-nazi David Copeland killed innocents in Brixton, Spitalfields and Soho in London. As technological advancement seemed to notch up a couple of gears together with globalization pushing free markets everywhere, carrying the New Vision of Future promised, the same old poo poo did not only keep happening but seemed to happen more and worse.

Did we not reach the End of History? Was the same old poo poo supposed to go on like that? Was it not established that computers, robotics, global markets and limitless digital telecommunication were going to deliver the brave new world and solve famine, war, disease and poverty and global warming?

That was a problem. People felt it, even in the privileged corners of the Earth. It got to them, too. The question popped in the heads of some neoliberal luminaries, at the eve of the new Millenium, gnawing at them: what the gently caress, exactly, was going wrong?

---

So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Genesis, 3:24

If you played the game, you will remember the intro. I played the game a good ten years after the release, but I was immediately struck by its effective use of real-world footage to make an immediate point: turns out that the End of History didn’t work at all. We had to get out. If this is the continuation from Civilization’s science victory, SMAC argues that Civilization’s inherently liberal bias about human history is wrong. Reynolds not only gives out one hell of a statement right out of the gate, but lays one hell of a burn at Civ also: this is no great song of progress, no arc that naturally bends towards justice; this is failure. By doing so, SMAC took a position and created a far more interesting narrative than otherwise would. “Keeping politics out of games”, which was something coming up right quick in the years that followed in the industry, is foolish. SMAC is fondly remembered because, among other things, it embraced that humans were not only political animals but also ideological beings: the big I-word is used at the intro and completely necessary to describe the game’s narrative.

What SMAC’s text proposes for the player is to choose a drat side because History, far from being over, has to be solved on another planet. Or, in a more symbolic read, how the gently caress do we start to solve the same old poo poo around us? Dealing with questions like these in fiction is what makes it engrossing and interesting: having the legalist-collectivist-totalitarian Hive duke it out with ultracapitalist Morgan Industries, or the neofascist Spartan Federation battle with the socialist-eco-authoritarian Stepdaughters of Gaia is the historical continuation of material problems left unanswered, ideologies that were not made radical before Planetfall, but far before, here at Earth of the late 21st century. If you were to witness the agricultural collapse of the Middle East, what’s there to say that you wouldn’t become like a militant Gaian?

(Something interesting came up, thinking about it right now: if you have children, isn’t there a possibility that a granddaughter of yours might have to be Deirdre Skye in order to survive?)

Of course, this is still an American game made in the late 90s. Santiago isn’t a neofascist, she is a militarist. Godwinson isn’t a theocratic fundamentalist, she is a zealot. Lal isn’t a moralist neoliberal, he is a “humanitarian”. Besides, the devil-in-the-details of a game’s narrative come through in its relation to its mechanics. Social Engineering, where you configure your society, gives you several options in regards to its general political design, what form of economic organization it is going to have and what ideals to uphold, then later what sort of vision of the future society it wants to pursue. You are only locked from the options who are antagonistic to the faction’s ideological premise: Morgan Industries can’t go for a planned economy, for example.

So, plausibly, you can have Chairman Yang can play a free-market theocracy, no biggie, at the cost of losing his inherent bonuses from Planned economy and Police State politics. Really subtle commentary there. Green is somehow a magical socio-economic metastate that lies beyond planning or laissez-faire, very much in the Greenpeace-like vibes of utopian sentimentalism, that we just need to come together to recycle our domestic trash and reduce our carbons, maaaaaaan. It is worth saying that Green economics is op as gently caress: you negate its penalty with an easy building from early game and once you have enough bases the efficiency bonus gives you a greater economic benefit than free-market without its costs. Better than free-market and planned without breaking a sweat, as a rainbow shines behind a baby koala riding a smiling panda - quite a 90s mood. Then there is the fact that Morgan does spectacularly well with it…

Of course, we can disregard that in favor of what point it is trying to make, because the game asserts a narrative. Personally, this is the main reason why SMAC has been so successful and has such an enduring appeal and charm to it. Most 4X strategy games do not have clear stories by themselves, only the story-from-play, like how your Japan game in Civilization was highly engaging because you started next to an aggressive country and had several close calls until you managed to win that critical war. Then you might have games with plenty of background and highly elaborate settings, like Total War: Warhammer, but they are still story-from-play. SMAC does something different: it offers you a story that you unravel through play, through the same “song of progress” mechanic from Civilization, only that instead of contemplating human history through scientific and technological advancement, the player is now reading a mystery novel, not knowing where progress leads. Through the clever use of quotations from the leaders, each advance brings relevant commentary on what they are doing, thinking, considering and trying to achieve, either as individuals themselves or through their factions.

The prestige here is a very clever one and is amazing in effect. All leaders start with their motivations delineated and willing to make a brave new world that works this time, but in the context of what happened to Earth. As progress unfolds, they themselves change - such as the life-extension technology which makes them functionally immortal and its terrifying implications - and come to a personal ideological and existential conflict, addressed through the datalink quotations. Miriam Godwinson, even though the fundamentalist, understands the material necessity of technology to ensure their enterprise. As technology becomes more and more ridiculous, she quickly reverses course and starts castigating others, like Zakharov, the leader of the scientificist ideology, for their careless and relentless drive of progress. She gets really spooked about teleportation. Then there’s her last quote.

Her own personal resolution is to throw herself into the fire. She surrenders to the miracles of God through technology, techno-millenarianism realized. It’s great in its ambiguity, too: if she is losing, that’s her going out; if winning, it is the realization of her New Jerusalem. If you look at what some Silicon Valley types talk and dream about on this matter, squinting your eyes just right, there isn’t a lot of difference from messianic promises of salvation found in the Abrahamic creeds.

Zakharov, on the other hand, starts brash, smug and self-assured, then starts to have his doubts, then reaps the harvest brought by his arrogance. They start figuring out what sort of stuff happens under event horizons and then, well, the brave scientist suggests not thinking about it. As the very Planet-mind starts to awaken to deal with the foreign invader, the aspiring dominator throws himself on his knees, seeking the mercy of this impossibly great alien god. The Planet, turns out, has been unconsciously trying to figure out what sort of thing has landed on it, and when the humans started to annoy it, it started to bite back with psychic metamorph fungus that were produced as mere immune response. The leaders quickly figure out that if these things gave so much horrifying trouble when the Planet was taking a nap, what the hell it shall unleash on them once it is up for real? How the gently caress can we survive if the very nature around us is going to be actively hostile against us? Why the gently caress did we trash Earth?

---

Here’s the kicker of my critique, though. Some of what I mentioned has been already treaded quite enough, many times. What I really want to point out is that, at a certain point in the game, humanity is back again at the intro, perhaps far worse due to the much advanced technological conditions. With all that technological advancement and progress in another planet, how in the gently caress we are dealing with the same old poo poo again?

Or, to put it in another way, it is 1999, we are on the eve of a new millennium… Why?

SMAC, for me, is a categorical classic work for that reason alone. It manages to encapsulate and reproduce a degree of postmodern catastrophism not achieved anywhere else in gaming. Each advancement is not a merry positive event, it is an increment of tension on History. It captures a feel that defines that period very much, a sort of neoliberal blue about the possibilities of man, a half-conscious realization that progress by itself won’t bring a better future.

The canonical suggested ending is that Deirdre achieves a psychic link with Planet to mindmeld humanity to it, achieving a state of transcendence. My personal read is that the narrative proposes that progress must be directed into something worthwhile, not done aimlessly just because. Progress done to elevate and better humankind is how we get past the same old poo poo, and I agree. However, I disagree with SMAC on the implication of “humans gonna be human”, so we must be something else through the intervention of an alien god. Reynolds was very much a man of his time and place, and quite possibly very skeptical of humanity at the time as many others were; an understandable conclusion. Yet, history is made by the great masses of humankind acting to circumstance: all that is solid eventually melts into air, opening new possibilities.

Thirty years past the End of History, now we understand again that it is far, very far from being over. But looking especially at these last two, it is incredible to come back at this and realize how contemporary it feels with its mood, even with its now-retrofuturistic looks. A classic by the merit of enduring relevance.

kinda funny (and actually very good) to consider the evolution in my reading/writing from two years to now, especially in another language. my tremendous shitposting remains spectacular as ever though

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

if it's not too much trouble, can I ask you about the various UI enhancements that are introduced by the fan-made patches/mods? You mentioned that it's important and I'd like to gain some perspective because finding out what a UI is designed to convey is usually a good insight into how a game should be played "properly"

Go here and scroll down a bit, I can't paste it here without losing the formatting. https://github.com/DrazharLn/pracx

You can see that it adds advanced UI improvements like being able to zoom in and out, scrolling in menus, turning on resource and terrain overlays, being able to see terrain under fungus/forests. It also adds the ability to run the game in windowed mode. This mod really brings the Alpha Centauri UI into 2006.

The original game has excellent hotkey support and has a surprising amount of configurable automation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would vote to keep it off

Then it will stay off unless we somehow get outvoted. I wish Alpha Centauri had a "No Tech Brokering" rule where you can only give people techs you researched yourself or a "Blueprints" rule where buying a tech only means you get a significant research bonus for it. Alpha Centauri is over two decades old and we've had 20 more years of development of the 4X genre since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Here’s the kicker of my critique, though. Some of what I mentioned has been already treaded quite enough, many times. What I really want to point out is that, at a certain point in the game, humanity is back again at the intro, perhaps far worse due to the much advanced technological conditions. With all that technological advancement and progress in another planet, how in the gently caress we are dealing with the same old poo poo again?

I'm a bit too dumb to properly give this the treatment it deserves, but this is a theme that carries through as well in Fallout 2 (released just a year before SMAC) as well as Fallout New Vegas. Civilization has managed to re-establish itself, but the loving NCR is just Clintonites again.

BearsBearsBears posted:

Go here and scroll down a bit, I can't paste it here without losing the formatting. https://github.com/DrazharLn/pracx

You can see that it adds advanced UI improvements like being able to zoom in and out, scrolling in menus, turning on resource and terrain overlays, being able to see terrain under fungus/forests. It also adds the ability to run the game in windowed mode. This mod really brings the Alpha Centauri UI into 2006.

hah, sold! Let's see if we can do "reinstall SMAC and upgrade it" as an afternoon project