Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Another year, another bunch of assholes who can't make a reasonable-size 4K OLED. The 27" monitor is 2560x1440

:mad::hf::mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i want a 32" 4k, would be real nice if it's an oled, but that "3 year warranty for burnin" is really not confidence inducing, i'm not buying something that'll surely be over $1k that has to be replaced after only 3 years lol

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Truga posted:

i want a 32" 4k, would be real nice if it's an oled, but that "3 year warranty for burnin" is really not confidence inducing, i'm not buying something that'll surely be over $1k that has to be replaced after only 3 years lol

:thunk:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Truga posted:

Are you saying it's too short of a warranty period, or too long? I'm really confused by why having a longer warranty than typical in a product space is less confidence inducing. Most monitors only come with a 1 year warranty.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Are you saying it's too short of a warranty period, or too long? I'm really confused by why having a longer warranty than typical in a product space is less confidence inducing. Most monitors only come with a 1 year warranty.

They're saying having to replace a $1,000 monitor after 3 years is onerous and it should last way longer than that

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

The economics wouldn't work as the manufacturer would have to replace every OLED monitor after several years of regular use.

I used a £250 IPS monitor for almost a decade but it looked like poo poo. My OLED monitor looks great but it cost £1,000 and will probably be hosed in five years. Choose your poison.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ok wait for microled idk

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I doubt that microled is going to be immune to burn in. Less susceptible than oled, perhaps, but by how much we don't really know yet.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Helter Skelter posted:

I doubt that microled is going to be immune to burn in. Less susceptible than oled, perhaps, but by how much we don't really know yet.

They're conventional LEDs, yeah they're immune to burn-in. Like how the LED from a 1985 Nintendo NES is still fine. It's a known physics thing, just like they know how OLED is not so durable and plan their warranties accordingly. Even very high-heat LEDs like those used in projectors have kept up with MTBF ratings.

They just can't be cheap soon because this is the hell timeline.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

On the other hand, a 4K display will have 25 million LEDs, so I wonder what the odds are that you'll have at least one dead subpixel after a few years?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

would you ever be able to see it from conventional tv viewing distances

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

They're conventional LEDs, yeah they're immune to burn-in. Like how the LED from a 1985 Nintendo NES is still fine. It's a known physics thing, just like they know how OLED is not so durable and plan their warranties accordingly. Even very high-heat LEDs like those used in projectors have kept up with MTBF ratings.

They just can't be cheap soon because this is the hell timeline.

LEDs failure rate is very good, but all dim over time. The 'hours' rating on a LED light or fixture is usually a rating of hours until the LEDs only produce 80% of their initial output, not the expected average before an LED burns out.

For MicroLED, I expect this dimming to be more rapid due to the smaller emitter surface area. I don't expect burn in to be as prominent, but I do expect the first few generations of MicroLED displays/TV's to have very limited lifetimes at full bright / full white, and to have all sorts of tricks to try to 'balance' the display as it ages which may leave a very good display as only middling by a few thousand hours. Going to make reviews a real pain.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ijyt posted:

would you ever be able to see it from conventional tv viewing distances

Probably not, but from monitor viewing distances, maybe. Unless we're moving to 200+ PPI at the same time, in which case a few dead subpixels may be hard to notice.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Probably not, but from monitor viewing distances, maybe. Unless we're moving to 200+ PPI at the same time, in which case a few dead subpixels may be hard to notice.

I did, genuinely, forget I was in the monitor thread. Not like we'll be anything approaching monitor sizes for like a decade anyway :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

EoRaptor posted:

LEDs failure rate is very good, but all dim over time. The 'hours' rating on a LED light or fixture is usually a rating of hours until the LEDs only produce 80% of their initial output, not the expected average before an LED burns out.

For MicroLED, I expect this dimming to be more rapid due to the smaller emitter surface area. I don't expect burn in to be as prominent, but I do expect the first few generations of MicroLED displays/TV's to have very limited lifetimes at full bright / full white, and to have all sorts of tricks to try to 'balance' the display as it ages which may leave a very good display as only middling by a few thousand hours. Going to make reviews a real pain.

If they aren't complete shitbirds (they are) they would make the panels in flush-mount sections that attach to a backplane, so if you got dead pixels or damage in a specific area you could detach like one smaller square of the display to replace.

Like, "The Wall", the 8K Samsung microled from a few years back, I think they said it was four 4K panels put together and the tolerances were good enough to have no visible seam.

edit: yeah they were modular and let you change the size and aspect ratio. Would be nice if that made it to production but it sounds too consumer-friendly to happen

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

What's the timeline for mainsteam high end Micro-LED gaming monitors that are great? I just placed my OLED and took back a step to IPS.

SuperTeeJay posted:

The economics wouldn't work as the manufacturer would have to replace every OLED monitor after several years of regular use.

I used a £250 IPS monitor for almost a decade but it looked like poo poo. My OLED monitor looks great but it cost £1,000 and will probably be hosed in five years. Choose your poison.

Hey PUBG player SuperTeeJay, I was hosed after only one year. I now have a vertical line running from top to bottom of my Alienware AW34WTFDW, because I pinned browser windows side by side... just like the form factor is begging you to do.

Look at the doorway. It looks much worse in motion:

I'll have to ask Dell to replace it under their burn-in warranty. I went and purchased a Sony Inzone M9 IPS 27" 4K. An amazing little monitor. But it doesn't hold a candle to the OLED. Sadly I do too much productivity (reading SA on one window and watching YT on the other) so the OLED is not practical if its just gonna keep burning in. I'm already mourning the loss of the OLED, its like letting go of one of the most amazing pieces of gaming tech I've experienced. Curiously, looking at new flat 27" screen feels weird as hell, it feels like its convex and 4:3. Weird how the brain works after it gets used to a curved ultra wide screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

If they aren't complete shitbirds (they are) they would make the panels in flush-mount sections that attach to a backplane, so if you got dead pixels or damage in a specific area you could detach like one smaller square of the display to replace.

Like, "The Wall", the 8K Samsung microled from a few years back, I think they said it was four 4K panels put together and the tolerances were good enough to have no visible seam.

edit: yeah they were modular and let you change the size and aspect ratio. Would be nice if that made it to production but it sounds too consumer-friendly to happen

All current MicroLED displays work this way actually. They produce 720p or 540p panels that interlock together to make a 4K display. I don't think they're really meant to be user swappable though. You need a specialized installation team to install these displays in the first place.

Animal posted:

What's the timeline for mainsteam high end Micro-LED gaming monitors that are great? I just placed my OLED and took back a step to IPS.

There's no timeline for that. The only thing we can do is make wild guesses. I'd be surprised if it happens before the end of the decade, though. Self-emissive quantum dots or quantum nanorods may happen sooner and may also be effectively burn-in proof. These technologies have seen a lot of delays though. Five years ago, they were expected to be on the market by now. May be another five years.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 28, 2023

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Animal posted:

I'll have to ask Dell to replace it under their burn-in warranty. I went and purchased a Sony Inzone M9 IPS 27" 4K. An amazing little monitor. But it doesn't hold a candle to the OLED. Sadly I do too much productivity (reading SA on one window and watching YT on the other) so the OLED is not practical if its just gonna keep burning in. I'm already mourning the loss of the OLED, its like letting go of one of the most amazing pieces of gaming tech I've experienced. Curiously, looking at new flat 27" screen feels weird as hell, it feels like its convex and 4:3. Weird how the brain works after it gets used to a curved ultra wide screen.

I'm way too broke to upgrade my monitor right now but I think I'd go with the M9 if I had the cash (but would probably go with a sub $700 open box model). It's just an all-around good monitor with respectable HDR performance even if it does consume an obscene amount of power (like 160 watts)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Animal posted:

What burn-in mitigations does the Alienware have? From your post in the GPU thread, you've had the Alienware longer than I've had my LG and I'm curious what your monitor reports as its total use time. I'm at 718 hours since April and if there is any burn-in on my LG I've not been able to notice it. The LG does have aggressive pixel cleaning every 4 hours and panel cleaning is supposed to happen after I think 1000 hours, so I'm getting close to my first one of those, and I have the monitor set to go to sleep if the computer is idle for more than 3 minutes; it also has a larger panel than the display size so it can shift the image around by however many pixels every so often. I assume the Alienware has that too, but generally am curious what your use case looks like beyond just having some windows pinned.

I imagine my FFXIV HUD will be the first thing to start burning in on this monitor when it does finally appear, and I know that it will happen sooner or later.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

change my name posted:

I'm way too broke to upgrade my monitor right now but I think I'd go with the M9 if I had the cash (but would probably go with a sub $700 open box model). It's just an all-around good monitor with respectable HDR performance even if it does consume an obscene amount of power (like 160 watts)

It’s really good. I played some Doom Eternal and that game has very granular adjustments for the HDR image so you can make it look fantastic with some tweaking. The HDR is great. Obviously is not as good as the OLED, but it’s actually Good HDR. If you can find it for $700 I’d say it’s a no-brainer.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

What burn-in mitigations does the Alienware have? From your post in the GPU thread, you've had the Alienware longer than I've had my LG and I'm curious what your monitor reports as its total use time. I'm at 718 hours since April and if there is any burn-in on my LG I've not been able to notice it. The LG does have aggressive pixel cleaning every 4 hours and panel cleaning is supposed to happen after I think 1000 hours, so I'm getting close to my first one of those, and I have the monitor set to go to sleep if the computer is idle for more than 3 minutes; it also has a larger panel than the display size so it can shift the image around by however many pixels every so often. I assume the Alienware has that too, but generally am curious what your use case looks like beyond just having some windows pinned.

I imagine my FFXIV HUD will be the first thing to start burning in on this monitor when it does finally appear, and I know that it will happen sooner or later.

It has those same functions. Pixel refresh at 4hr and Panel refresh at 1.5k hrs. Plus I set a screensaver to activate at 2 minutes of idle time, and screen stand-by at 5 minutes. I use the screen about 15 days of the month, on the days I use it I kept tabs side by side for at least 2 hours.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Edit-wrong thread!

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

It's also probably really helpful not to have fixed window positions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hi! I have a very silly question for a very silly situation. I am looking for a small (7-10 inches) monitor with touchscreen that has HDMI or display port hookups, and while amazon is giving me a selection, I have no idea how to determine which one is good.

I want this because I want to set up a tiny visual novel-reading computer to sit on my desk so I can read them while doing regular computer stuff, and I have an old small computer, just no monitor! I was inspired by doing this with my switch, and while I want a steam deck it's actually overbuilt for what I want to do here.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hi! I have a very silly question for a very silly situation. I am looking for a small (7-10 inches) monitor with touchscreen that has HDMI or display port hookups, and while amazon is giving me a selection, I have no idea how to determine which one is good.

I want this because I want to set up a tiny visual novel-reading computer to sit on my desk so I can read them while doing regular computer stuff, and I have an old small computer, just no monitor! I was inspired by doing this with my switch, and while I want a steam deck it's actually overbuilt for what I want to do here.

Man, I wish they had something like this in e-ink. It would be great for reading stuff (like component datasheets in my case) at low res

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you can get small e-ink monitors but they're extremely not cheap

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have a small touchscreen Zeuslap monitor which seems fine, but other than verifying the touchscreen worked I can't really speak to how well because I found that running it as a second display made that function go weird. I keep meaning to test how it works as a single display, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm pretty sure this is the one I have:

https://www.newegg.com/black-zeuslap-z10-series-z10t-10-4/p/3D4-006V-00006

Edit: To clarify, the weirdness with the touchscreen was that, as a second display, the touchscreen oriented itself to the main display, not what was displaying on the actual touchscreen monitor, so it was not really useful. I could touch the screen and move the cursor around, but that movement happened on the primary display. Trying to click on elements on the actual touchscreen display just would just register clicks on the corresponding part of the main display. Now that I think about it I should hook it up again and set it to mirror instead of extend, but :effort:

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 28, 2023

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Day 2 of switching from a curved display to a flat one: still feels convex.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Any suggestion on a workhorse 1440p 32" monitor as a secondary to a same resolution game monitor? I use if for music players and CPU graphs and discord and sometimes video. It's an over/under setup so a small bottom bezel would be a bonus

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LRADIKAL posted:

Any suggestion on a workhorse 1440p 32" monitor as a secondary to a same resolution game monitor? I use if for music players and CPU graphs and discord and sometimes video. It's an over/under setup so a small bottom bezel would be a bonus

I've been really happy with my HP X32 that I got last year, but I'm not sure if it's still being produced, in stock anywhere, or available at a decent price if it is.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

LRADIKAL posted:

It's an over/under setup so a small bottom bezel would be a bonus

You could put the monitor slightly behing the main monitor so the bezel wouldn't be an issue.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Saukkis posted:

You could put the monitor slightly behing the main monitor so the bezel wouldn't be an issue.

Good point, in any case, it's a cherry on top feature.

Oh yeah, and flat, please.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

StrixNebulosa posted:

This doesn't have touch capability, but maybe use a small XP Pen Artist 10 or a Huion Kamvas pen display tablet? You'll get a small multi-use monitor that you can use for your PC or phone, and will also be able to use it to draw and write stuff too if you want. Can be used with an HDMI cable or thunderbolt(?) USB C cable.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Here you go, 10 inches, 1920x1200 IPS touchscreen for $73 after coupon: https://www.amazon.com/Wstirhy-Portable-Monitor-Touchscreen-1920X1200/dp/B0C9GVP57R

There's a billion brands of these, but understand that the panels are repurposed laptop screens, which have an eDP pinout for the panel, and a USB pinout for the touch digitizer. So all these companies are doing is making a very basic PCB to add power and output ports, and a plastic frame to protect the panel. I think it's like 2 or 3 Chinese factories using a million randomized brand names but that's the way it is. If you want it to say "Asus" or "Viewsonic" you'll have to pay twice as much.

Any reason you're limiting to 10 inches? If you go to common laptop sizes like 13.3 and 15.6, there's a ton more of these, and some have conveniences like doing power+touch+display all over a single USB-C cable.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 29, 2023

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So for the last year I've been using a 27" Dell u2711 (1440p) and a 24" dell whatever (1080p) for my job with the work laptop extending the displays across the monitors.

Yesterday I upgraded the 24" monitor to a 27" one to get 1440p parity across both.

However, when I go into the actual display settings, the new monitor outputs at 1440p, but the u2711 only has a max resolution of 1080p.

I can't remember if I ever set the u2711 up for 1440p with the laptop, so don't know if that's always been the case.

The same monitor is hooked up to my gaming rig and output at 1440p with dvi and DP connections, I thought HDMI would be the same.

It's connected with one of those "8k" HDMI cables, but I'll need to look out the specific specs, but I got it to make sure it was HDMI 2.1 or whatever.

Just looking for a bit of a steer with where the issue might be sitting before I go to the IT dept.

The laptop is theirs, but the displays, etc are all mine so they might not be of much help.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kin posted:

So for the last year I've been using a 27" Dell u2711 (1440p) and a 24" dell whatever (1080p) for my job with the work laptop extending the displays across the monitors.

Yesterday I upgraded the 24" monitor to a 27" one to get 1440p parity across both.

However, when I go into the actual display settings, the new monitor outputs at 1440p, but the u2711 only has a max resolution of 1080p.

I can't remember if I ever set the u2711 up for 1440p with the laptop, so don't know if that's always been the case.

The same monitor is hooked up to my gaming rig and output at 1440p with dvi and DP connections, I thought HDMI would be the same.

It's connected with one of those "8k" HDMI cables, but I'll need to look out the specific specs, but I got it to make sure it was HDMI 2.1 or whatever.

Just looking for a bit of a steer with where the issue might be sitting before I go to the IT dept.

The laptop is theirs, but the displays, etc are all mine so they might not be of much help.

GPUs have a maximum output for resolution and refresh rate. If you know your laptop's model and can find the spec for the internal GPU of its processor (or the GPU in the laptop if it has an extra one) it should list what outputs it can handle. It's possible that there's like a total resolution of your laptop with two displays that doesn't reach double 1440p displays. Without more information about the computer I can't say for sure.

For example this is a desktop chip but the iGPU on the i7-11700K has its specs listed down in the Processor Graphics section on this page, where it can do 4k @ 60Hz on HDMI and 5K @ 60Hz on DP:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/212047/intel-core-i711700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

If your CPU is the same way it could be that the laptop display + two externals are pushing what it's capable of beyond its specs. It could also just be a finnicky cable, though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cheers, got the model number.

It's a Dell latitude 5320 with i5-1145G7

Not sure if that's enough to go on to help find more info?

It's only got one native HDMI port (with the other being provided by a multi port hub plugging into the USB C port).

I just swapped the cables around to test the laptop/hub ports and it's the same situation, so it might still be a cable problem.

I'll not be able to swap about the cables in the back of the monitors until later today annoyingly so can't quickly rule out the cable being an issue.

Though, I would have guessed that if the laptop could only output 1440p to one port it would be consistent with that?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kin posted:

It's only got one native HDMI port (with the other being provided by a multi port hub plugging into the USB C port).

I just swapped the cables around to test the laptop/hub ports and it's the same situation, so it might still be a cable problem.

I'll not be able to swap about the cables in the back of the monitors until later today annoyingly so can't quickly rule out the cable being an issue.

Though, I would have guessed that if the laptop could only output 1440p to one port it would be consistent with that?

Here's the ARK page for the CPU:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208660/intel-core-i51145g7-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz-with-ipu.html

Anything with a ‡ symbol by it may be different depending on how the vendor implemented features on the board. That said, it seems like it can handle up to four displays with a lot of resolution. I suspect the issue may be the USB-C connected hub but I'm not exactly sure what would cause it since I haven't run displays over USB-C before. I believe display over USB-C acts like DisplayPort. I'm mostly familiar with running USB-C docking stations which have display outputs but they're using their own display controller hardware in there so they have their own limitations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Here's the ARK page for the CPU:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208660/intel-core-i51145g7-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz-with-ipu.html

Anything with a ‡ symbol by it may be different depending on how the vendor implemented features on the board. That said, it seems like it can handle up to four displays with a lot of resolution. I suspect the issue may be the USB-C connected hub but I'm not exactly sure what would cause it since I haven't run displays over USB-C before. I believe display over USB-C acts like DisplayPort. I'm mostly familiar with running USB-C docking stations which have display outputs but they're using their own display controller hardware in there so they have their own limitations.

Ah well that's the thing, the USB-C hub produced 1440p with one of the cable/monitor combinations, but not the other.

The same cable/monitor combination also got 1440p when it was plugged into the laptop's hdmi port.

So both ports seem to be able to send out 1440p.

If I swap the cables at the monitor end I should hopefully pin it down to bring being monitor or cable issue I think.

Given the u2711 monitor gets 1440p on DisplayPort and DVI, it would be odd for it to only go up to 1080p on HDMI right? Like i should get 1440p on there too as long as the cable isn't an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kin posted:

So I share this only because I've run into this problem before, and I don't know if this exactly matches what you're dealing with, but if you go into the display settings and select the monitor that isn't displaying the correct resolution change it to a non-standard resolution, and then change it back to the resolution you want. I've had this happen for a few of the Dell Latitude laptops with docking stations at work and this has always resolved the problem.