Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I installed the public beta of 10.1 for double tap and it’s such a minor thing but it’s so convenient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Am I going insane? I thought this was already a feature, but it was implemented in some kind of accessibility menu. Like you could do gestures with the hand your watch is on to navigate and tap stuff or something.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
yeah but it seemed kind of unreliable (also I couldn't get that annoying popup to go away that'd remind you of gestures every single time) so I disabled it again. I'm curious if the new version works better?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Surprise T Rex posted:

Am I going insane? I thought this was already a feature, but it was implemented in some kind of accessibility menu. Like you could do gestures with the hand your watch is on to navigate and tap stuff or something.

No it, was definitely an Accessibility feature. I tried it for a while and it seemed kinda flakey.

Is the new version coming to older watches like the S6?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Snuffman posted:

No it, was definitely an Accessibility feature. I tried it for a while and it seemed kinda flakey.

Is the new version coming to older watches like the S6?

no. not even the S8. apparently the S9 has more ML processing power to detect the finger tap.

the current way of doing it isn't good at all, i agree. none of the stores had the updated patch version to try out the new tapping

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

New double tap is way better than the accessibility option

I tried the accessibility option on my s6 for like 5 minutes and went “this is meh”

Double tap was an immediate “ok yeah I like”

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Raymond T. Racing posted:

New double tap is way better than the accessibility option

I tried the accessibility option on my s6 for like 5 minutes and went “this is meh”

Double tap was an immediate “ok yeah I like”

Do any of the other gestures work or is it just double tap that got the upgrade?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Strong Sauce posted:

Do any of the other gestures work or is it just double tap that got the upgrade?

Just double tap.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I recently bought an Apple Watch Ultra 2 because my wife wanted one I didn’t want to feel left out.

What do people generally use these for? So far it seems like it’s a wearable that does some (but not all) of what my phone does and also has some fitness applications. Why do you like your Apple Watch?

I also like that it gives me an excuse not to be wearing an actually expensive watch other than “I can’t afford one.”

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

I recently bought an Apple Watch Ultra 2 because my wife wanted one I didn’t want to feel left out.

What do people generally use these for? So far it seems like it’s a wearable that does some (but not all) of what my phone does and also has some fitness applications. Why do you like your Apple Watch?

I also like that it gives me an excuse not to be wearing an actually expensive watch other than “I can’t afford one.”

I use my Apple Watch as a fitness tracker, get notifications like from my cameras at home, get iMessage, and get information on my heart. Also sleep if I wear it to bed.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It's a small thing, but my favorite feature of the Apple Watch is waking up to a haptic tap on the wrist instead of an alarm sound.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Yeah the alarm feature is great.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Does anyone else have the trail loop? Have you ever had the loop on the end catch on anything? I’m a little worried about that. I feel like I should have bought the alpine loop instead.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Does anyone else have the trail loop? Have you ever had the loop on the end catch on anything? I’m a little worried about that. I feel like I should have bought the alpine loop instead.

My trail loop doesn't catch on anything (it's too snug for that, it seems) but the velcro part is already catching things. I really wish it wasn't velcro.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Yes and nope, never.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

Fitness tracker, ATV remote, podcast commercial skipper, transit alerts, bus schedule and weather alerts. I got my AW on a whim as a Christmas gift to myself a few years back and I'm constantly surprised how much day to day use I get out of it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

It's largely an extension of your phone - turn off the iPhone's vibration, severely limit the notifications going to your watch, and enjoy the fact that you don't have to get your phone out of your pocket 90% of the time now.

Great for ApplePay on the go.

Timers and Alarms (Just say "5 minutes" or "5 pm" and it set them)

Shazaming songs

Walkie Talkie is fun if you can poke your other Apple Watch friends into using it

Fitness stuff obviously

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I have a couple knockoffs of the trail loop and that's never happened. The alpine is so much cooler though, you could see if you find knockoffs on amazon. they may be more stretchy but other than that I haven't had any issues with the knockoff ones. Ultra bands being €100 for basically the same stuff has finally pushed me over the edge of just going hog wild on amazon knockoffs and it's great.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ogmius815 posted:

Is this a joke? The price of an ultra 2 is a decent chunk towards a nice real watch, if you don’t already understand why you want an ultra 2 its going to be borderline useless.

The ultra is definitely not dressy and should never be worn in an excuse to not wear a “fancy watch” (not that you should need an excuse to not wear a watch)

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 26, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

Is this a joke?

I kinda gotta agree.

I’ve had an AW since the 0 and I won’t ever give it up but I can’t imagine just buying an ultra for funsies.

The watch is a great extension of the phone or hell just great if you don’t want to take your phone on a run or hike (if you have the cell plan).

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I mean, watches get really, REALLY expensive guys.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Corb3t posted:

It's largely an extension of your phone - turn off the iPhone's vibration, severely limit the notifications going to your watch, and enjoy the fact that you don't have to get your phone out of your pocket 90% of the time now.

Great for ApplePay on the go.

Timers and Alarms (Just say "5 minutes" or "5 pm" and it set them)

Shazaming songs

Walkie Talkie is fun if you can poke your other Apple Watch friends into using it

Fitness stuff obviously

This post makes me want to try Apple Podcasts so I can use it with my watch.

The problem I've had with Shazam on the watch is, for some reason, neither Shazam on the watch or the one on the phone sync so they both have different lists and the one on the watch is only able to hold a couple of song titles before they disappear off into the ether.

Why turn off the iPhone's vibration? Do you mean just keep it in silent mode?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
How much heavier is the ultra vs the 9 ?

Edit: I have a watch 6, and would have at most gotten the 9, but my new gig has me going outside (gasp) so I’ll consider the ultra since I’ll be on the go.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 27, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Why turn off the iPhone's vibration? Do you mean just keep it in silent mode?

I don’t see the point of my phone unnecessarily making vibration noises on surfaces when my watch can just tell me instead.

Plus I let some app’s notifications come through on my iPhone’s Lock Screen but not my watch - News notifications, for example, but I don’t actually want them trying to get my attention unless I’m already looking at my iPhone.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ThermoPhysical posted:

The problem I've had with Shazam on the watch is, for some reason, neither Shazam on the watch or the one on the phone sync so they both have different lists and the one on the watch is only able to hold a couple of song titles before they disappear off into the ether.

Ugh really? It’s weird how this has been such an issue for so long. It’s even kinda flaky on the iPhone app.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Taima posted:

The ultra is definitely not dressy and should never be worn in an excuse to not wear a “fancy watch” (not that you should need an excuse to not wear a watch)

I wouldn't say that, I have seen plenty of people wearing an Apple Watch in situations where you would normally expect them to be wearing a much more expensive but still casual watch. It's basically the Submariner of smart watches, but priced lower because everyone knows it is disposable. Everyone knows it is the most expensive Apple Watch that isn't the Hermes and the Hermes is just a Stainless Steel with some watch faces and band and you can put the band on the Ultra and people into luxury brands get really weird about what they will wear and not wear brand wise.

As for utility, I find it super useful for important work voicemails/emails and meeting reminders when I am in other meetings (I am in so many meetings), in my experience people have gotten really tolerant about you glancing at your watch in a way they never were about taking out your phone because they understand that it is a glance that you are probably going to dismiss. It's almost like a pager in that way if you remember pagers.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That’s nice that your people have already progressed that far, me glancing at the watch always makes people wrap up things lol but it’s sorta getting there

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I regularly keep getting this poo poo. After a run, I stay outside slowly dragging my feet for three minutes for the post-workout HR tracking to do its thing. These outliers always happen when I raise my arm looking onto the watch. I always deleted them, but today I actually noticed that they're tagged with the ECG context, unlike the correct ones, which are in the Workout context. Am I accidentally triggering the ECG tracking? Since you can measure heart rate electrically. If so, I wish you could disable that outside the ECG app.

--edit: That said, I'm wondering whether I'm causing this myself by opening the Heart Rate app to watch the progress in these three minutes, therefore enabling (possibly erroneous) electrical HR tracking.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 29, 2023

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Opposite of a critical issue but my watch has not recorded wrist temperature data for several days now. I haven't changed how I use it and all other sleep tracking functionality appears to be working correctly. I want to say this started on the day I installed 10.1 but I can't swear to it. Anyone else encountered this?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean, watches get really, REALLY expensive guys.

Yeah but I think most of us get that. On a whim I bought a Invicta Pro Diver analog watch for dressy things (even though I never go to them, not even 1x a year) and because they’re nifty. It was like $100 with tax. Good watch.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Fedule posted:

Opposite of a critical issue but my watch has not recorded wrist temperature data for several days now. I haven't changed how I use it and all other sleep tracking functionality appears to be working correctly. I want to say this started on the day I installed 10.1 but I can't swear to it. Anyone else encountered this?

I don’t have a temperature tracking capable watch, but a reboot often fixes things like this.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Wait, are we talking about outside temperature or body temperature? If we’re talking body temperature, I didn’t even know that was a thing.

Can the S7 do it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That feature came with the S8/AWU.

These watches have two thermistors. One on the wrist side and one on the display side, to properly estimate body temperature during sleep. The health app will show differential values relative to some five day baseline. It’ll also feed into the cycle tracking. Internally the values must be absolute, because the HealthFit app shows them as such.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Not worth an upgrade, but still neat.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

How do I make the watch stop waking me up to tell me I need to stand up at 3:50 in the morning? I thought enabling sleep focus would stop that but it doesn’t seem to!

I’m close to giving up on apple’s sleep tracking altogether. So many awful choices.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ogmius815 posted:

How do I make the watch stop waking me up to tell me I need to stand up at 3:50 in the morning? I thought enabling sleep focus would stop that but it doesn’t seem to!

I’m close to giving up on apple’s sleep tracking altogether. So many awful choices.

I've been using an Apple Watch since the beginning and I've never had that happen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah sleep makes the watch go dark for me. I’ve never had that fail.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Same.
Plus just to be certain I also put it on Theater Mode and Silent Mode, so something like that would be impossible.
But yeah, if you’re in Sleep Focus that shouldn’t be happening v:shobon:v

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Do your watch and phone share focuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

See I knew it shouldn’t be doing that! It must be a bug or more likely a settings problem.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Do your watch and phone share focuses?

I don’t know. How to I confirm that?