Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

played what I thought had been a careful, thoughtful game, and in reviewing it the computer agreed. Up until the point I hung my queen. Fortunately, opponent didn't see it under the pressure I was applying but holy hell, play dumb games,

I guess this is what Ben Finegold means when he says "you are playing up to your rating"

If I'm feeling too good about myself I can always count on the computer to bring me back to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I get annoyed at stockfish for calling like five of my moves in a row "inaccuracies" because it thinks I should trade off a piece. I get that sometimes it's advantageous to trade off a piece, but it's often difficult to tell why the fish thinks this tradeoff is advantageous. Blunders are usually easier to figure out, you hung a piece or your opponent hung a piece or maybe you permitted a forced checkmate in 12 (that your opponent never saw either) but it'll show you the line that leads there so at least you can see why stockfish says it's a blunder. But the inaccuracy and "mistake" labels are harder to figure out IMO and that means I tend not to learn from them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

I get annoyed at stockfish for calling like five of my moves in a row "inaccuracies" because it thinks I should trade off a piece. I get that sometimes it's advantageous to trade off a piece, but it's often difficult to tell why the fish thinks this tradeoff is advantageous. Blunders are usually easier to figure out, you hung a piece or your opponent hung a piece or maybe you permitted a forced checkmate in 12 (that your opponent never saw either) but it'll show you the line that leads there so at least you can see why stockfish says it's a blunder. But the inaccuracy and "mistake" labels are harder to figure out IMO and that means I tend not to learn from them.

My problem with this is I'm not convinced it is right. I'll happily do an even trade if it gives me better positioning on the board. If it is a mostly neutral play, I'd rather keep my piece and pick a better spot for a trade off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's right in the sense that stockfish can see 15 moves ahead and there's some advantage that, if I were playing a master opponent, they'd take advantage of or I'd lose or whatever. It's just unhelpful to a novice player. I get that the system needs to be rigorous as far as labeling different types of mistake moves, but it feels like there's an opportunity for a better automated teacher that could explain in simpler terms why a given move was inaccurate.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
To put it in poker terms, Stockfish gives you the game theory optimal play (so far as it can calculate it). But because your opponents aren't stockfish, another move that directly exploits their weaknesses (induces blunders) can work better.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

sometimes stockfish will give me a blunder and then upon investigating it it will show me a series of 15 precise, brilliant moves that end with me losing a queen and then i'm like, cool, anyway in the real world my 900-rated blitz opponent's next move was hanging a rook

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Puzzle training and computer analysis actually made me incapable of playing this game properly, because I spent so much time hyper focusing on the theoretically best sequences without ever figuring out what "improving a position" or "attacking" actually meant in practical terms, so I never ended up in positions where tactics even existed. Don't be like me, don't go to stockfish for answers that can be easily found by a human

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It would probably be good if the game review feature stuck more to blunders that lose material (eg hanging a piece), missed tactical opportunities (not finding a fork that would win you material) and blatant violation of principles for no good reason (eg speculative advances with your Knight while you still have pieces you need to develop), especially at lower levels. It is hard though since chess computers don't remotely think in the same way humans do so you kindof have to reverse engineer a logic that would make sense to a person.

To me the most confusing thing about Game Review is how it classifies Good moves. Like that move just lost my opponent a full bishop, I do not see how you could rate that as reasonable

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It would probably be good if the game review feature stuck more to blunders that lose material (eg hanging a piece), missed tactical opportunities (not finding a fork that would win you material) and blatant violation of principles for no good reason (eg speculative advances with your Knight while you still have pieces you need to develop), especially at lower levels. It is hard though since chess computers don't remotely think in the same way humans do so you kindof have to reverse engineer a logic that would make sense to a person.

To me the most confusing thing about Game Review is how it classifies Good moves. Like that move just lost my opponent a full bishop, I do not see how you could rate that as reasonable

from what i understand moves are rated based on how they shift advantage and how they compare to the best move, so if a position is totally lopsided you will sometimes see strange ratings like "yeah that move lost a bishop for no gain but you already blundered your queen and both rooks so losing a bishop didn't actually affect much since you were hosed before you lost it and you're still hosed now so it was Good" or the flipside: "you just blundered your queen for no reason but your opponent is so hosed that all this did was change it from Mate in 1 to Mate in 11 so it was Excellent because it's a move that still makes you win the game eventually"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just tried playing puzzles while sick and man. Going from 2100 to 1600 is a lot

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I just tried playing puzzles while sick and man. Going from 2100 to 1600 is a lot

ahhh, addict rage queueing, I've been there, oh yes

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I read a thing a while back I've been trying to implement, just being very disciplined on limits. My rules are:

Exactly 15 ranked puzzles per day (Rush or Survival after that if I want more)

No more than 5 Blitz games in a row. Take a break, go back and see if I got an opening move wrong, then decide if I want 5 more.

Two Rapid losses in a day is a hard stop (I broke this one last week and went 0-5 in 2 hours, punting away 40 points in a full tilt).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i gain all of my elo during amphetamine fueled chess rampages and then slowly drop about 100 points playing casually during the refractory period

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mikojan posted:

ahhh, addict rage queueing, I've been there, oh yes

It's not rage. My brain just sucks poo poo when I'm sick apparently

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

sometimes stockfish will give me a blunder and then upon investigating it it will show me a series of 15 precise, brilliant moves that end with me losing a queen and then i'm like, cool, anyway in the real world my 900-rated blitz opponent's next move was hanging a rook

Yeah just use the computer to look for mistakes you overlooked, but don't worry about computer lines or take the labels too much at face value. The computer will criticize you for missing mate in 12, it doesn't know that you're rated 700 and don't know what en pissant is.

Take the computer seriously but not literally.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Me: I think that might be my most complete game ever. I was seeing everything! I HAVE SOLVED CHESS

Stockfish: actually, 3 inaccuracies 3 mistakes 1 blunder u chump

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
e: non spoiler post below this one

If you missed this game from the Swiss today you really owe it to yourself to check it out. I don't know how to link to a game from the beginning, so the link will be a spoiler.

https://www.chess.com/events/2023-fide-grand-swiss/03/Lazavik_Denis-Wojtaszek_Radoslaw

PGN

[Event "FIDE Grand Swiss 2023"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2023.10.27"]
[Round "03"]
[White "Lazavik, Denis"]
[Black "Wojtaszek, Radoslaw"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "2560"]
[BlackElo "2668"]
[TimeControl "40/5400+30:1800+30"]

1. d4 {[%clk 1:40:47]} 1... Nf6 {[%clk 1:40:54]} 2. c4 {[%clk 1:40:59]} 2... e6
{[%clk 1:41:21]} 3. g3 {[%clk 1:41:03]} 3... d5 {[%clk 1:41:34]} 4. Nf3 {[%clk
1:40:58]} 4... Bb4+ {[%clk 1:41:57]} 5. Bd2 {[%clk 1:41:13]} 5... a5 {[%clk
1:42:20]} 6. Bg2 {[%clk 1:40:56]} 6... O-O {[%clk 1:42:39]} 7. Qc1 {[%clk
1:40:48]} 7... Be7 {[%clk 1:41:11]} 8. O-O {[%clk 1:40:28]} 8... Nbd7 {[%clk
1:41:36]} 9. Bf4 {[%clk 1:39:41]} 9... c6 {[%clk 1:41:49]} 10. Rd1 {[%clk
1:39:40]} 10... a4 {[%clk 1:39:36]} 11. Qc2 {[%clk 1:35:57]} 11... h6 {[%clk
1:38:37]} 12. Ne5 {[%clk 1:34:25]} 12... Qb6 {[%clk 1:25:16]} 13. Nxd7 {[%clk
1:27:39]} 13... Bxd7 {[%clk 1:19:26]} 14. c5 {[%clk 1:22:14]} 14... Qa7 {[%clk
0:52:42]} 15. Nc3 {[%clk 1:21:04]} 15... Rfc8 {[%clk 0:51:07]} 16. Rab1 {[%clk
1:09:12]} 16... b6 {[%clk 0:49:27]} 17. cxb6 {[%clk 1:08:58]} 17... Qxb6 {[%clk
0:49:53]} 18. Nxa4 {[%clk 1:08:57]} 18... Qa7 {[%clk 0:47:08]} 19. b3 {[%clk
1:06:54]} 19... c5 {[%clk 0:46:09]} 20. Nxc5 {[%clk 1:07:11]} 20... Bxc5 {[%clk
0:41:44]} 21. dxc5 {[%clk 1:07:34]} 21... Rxc5 {[%clk 0:42:09]} 22. Qd2 {[%clk
0:59:33]} 22... Qxa2 {[%clk 0:41:08]} 23. Rb2 {[%clk 0:57:50]} 23... Qa6 {[%clk
0:41:22]} 24. Bxh6 {[%clk 0:57:55]} 24... gxh6 {[%clk 0:37:58]} 25. Qd4 {[%clk
0:58:20]} 25... Qa1 {[%clk 0:24:58]} 26. Qd2 {[%clk 0:33:45]} 26... Qa3 {[%clk
0:21:23]} 27. Rbb1 {[%clk 0:32:22]} 27... Kg7 {[%clk 0:21:03]} 28. g4 {[%clk
0:32:30]} 28... Rac8 {[%clk 0:16:32]} 29. g5 {[%clk 0:32:04]} 29... Ng8 {[%clk
0:16:56]} 30. Qd4+ {[%clk 0:26:52]} 30... Kf8 {[%clk 0:16:33]} 31. gxh6 {[%clk
0:25:21]} 31... Nxh6 {[%clk 0:16:38]} 32. Ra1 {[%clk 0:25:23]} 32... Qxb3 {[%clk
0:16:19]} 33. Qh8+ {[%clk 0:25:41]} 33... Ng8 {[%clk 0:16:35]} 34. Rd3 {[%clk
0:25:44]} 34... Rc3 {[%clk 0:15:01]} 0-1

Bruce Hussein Daddy fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 28, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Here's a non-spoiler link and a gif of the game in the spoiler bar:

https://lichess.org/qlw5RpL9

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Wow. The clock usage is interesting. Yeah Qd4 sure looks like it wins back a piece, it seems like Lazavik went for the bishop sac without too much thought. Then Wojtaszek took 30 minutes to find and calculate the queen sac! I wonder what Lazavik was thinking about the whole time, because he then spent 30 minutes on his next move.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

okay I saw agadmator's video on it and there are like a dozen other lines I hadn't considered. What an incredible position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U2vmgp_CPw

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

So I'm not sure if it is the smart thing to do, but lately I've just been saying gently caress it with openings. Pretty much everything I do, I just ask myself what my opponent is trying to attack or defend with his move and then just think of an appropriate countermeasure. The funny thing about this approach is when I review my games after, I'm staying on book approaches longer than when I tried openings. Anyone else do this?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sataere posted:

So I'm not sure if it is the smart thing to do, but lately I've just been saying gently caress it with openings. Pretty much everything I do, I just ask myself what my opponent is trying to attack or defend with his move and then just think of an appropriate countermeasure. The funny thing about this approach is when I review my games after, I'm staying on book approaches longer than when I tried openings. Anyone else do this?

Its how I first started with openings, focusing on opening principles. There is a very good, free, chessable course on this as well: https://www.chessable.com/smithys-opening-fundamentals/course/21302/

Even now that I am starting to build a basic opening repertoire, the lessons I am working from are for lower level players, and they work through the openings very much on this basis so its really clicking for me. Also at my level, honestly, having a large, solid repertoire is not necessary. For me though I needed help developing ideas for the first few moves and it has given me this.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Bilirubin posted:

Its how I first started with openings, focusing on opening principles. There is a very good, free, chessable course on this as well: https://www.chessable.com/smithys-opening-fundamentals/course/21302/

Even now that I am starting to build a basic opening repertoire, the lessons I am working from are for lower level players, and they work through the openings very much on this basis so its really clicking for me. Also at my level, honestly, having a large, solid repertoire is not necessary. For me though I needed help developing ideas for the first few moves and it has given me this.

Oh that looks like it kicks rear end. Can't wait to watch it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
if you wanna feel good about yourself I found out chess.com will give you a brilliant for the centre-fork trick in the ruy lopez every single time

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

if you wanna feel good about yourself I found out chess.com will give you a brilliant for the centre-fork trick in the ruy lopez every single time

as white with d4 or black with Qd4 ?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

i found you also get one for literally first move out of book in the evans gambit, if your opponent takes a second pawn

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

it'll do it for the fried liver attack and the knight sacrifice in the damiano defence, too

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mikojan posted:

as white with d4 or black with Qd4 ?

White d4.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Is there any place I can create custom drills? I want to practice Vienna opening variations. It would be nice to have a bunch of variations set up that play out randomly. The drill section on chesscom isn't quite what I want. I want a drill that plays out from move 1, then reacts with a programmed set of moves. Kind of like the drills on Chessly, but bunched up in a big pool that play out randomly.

- edit: ah nvm, Chessly literally has this exact option. Is there a place I can create these pools myself though?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Mikojan posted:

Is there any place I can create custom drills? I want to practice Vienna opening variations. It would be nice to have a bunch of variations set up that play out randomly. The drill section on chesscom isn't quite what I want. I want a drill that plays out from move 1, then reacts with a programmed set of moves. Kind of like the drills on Chessly, but bunched up in a big pool that play out randomly.

- edit: ah nvm, Chessly literally has this exact option. Is there a place I can create these pools myself though?

I think you can do something like this with Chessable?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

I think you can do something like this with Chessable?

I'll check it out.

One step further though: could I get this somewhere for offline use?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Chessable now has an offline mode, not sure if you have to be a pro subscriber or not though

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mikojan posted:

chesstempo does this really well but it has a dogshit ui

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

https://listudy.org/en

You make a lichess study with all the weird lines and this’ll cheasable style randomly throw them at you.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

former glory posted:

You make a lichess study with all the weird lines and this’ll cheasable style randomly throw them at you.

this site is new to me, the blind tactic mode is kicking my rear end. thanks for the link

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

former glory posted:

this is a neat resource, thanks for sharing

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

i found you also get one for literally first move out of book in the evans gambit, if your opponent takes a second pawn

I don't know if this is actually true but I have heard it claimed that chess.com's "brilliant" scoring is weighted by your rating, so even if you're following a well known opening, it still really likes a good piece sac because I guess it assumed you didn't know that opening and discovered it independently, or at the very least it's just praising you for studying up. A funny one is that a lot of the traps in the Stafford Gambit will get a "brilliant" score from chess.com's analysis engine, but it really hates when you go into it in the first place and calls Nc6 an inaccuracy (to be fair it's pretty popular thanks to Eric Rosen so it's probably fair to call it a bad move when so many people know about it now).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Just hit 1500 blitz on lichess. Finally I'm above the median. :cabot:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
And 1200 blitz on chess.com. :cabot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

gz! what rating were you around the time you started?