Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

am i an unauthorized third-party accessory??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Good

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Will this kill being able to plug a mouse and keyboard in?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I wonder if this is a reaction to the cheap controllers / knockoffs being sold on Temu etc.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Bad shoot phil

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
should have bought a real controller. perhaps one from the Xbox design lab

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hopefully it bans Cronus and poo poo too

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

priznat posted:

Will this kill being able to plug a mouse and keyboard in?

M+K support is specific to certain games, I don’t see any reason why this would effect that.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

That sucks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

runchild posted:

M+K support is specific to certain games, I don’t see any reason why this would effect that.

Cool that seems useful for those specific games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kri kri posted:

Hopefully it bans Cronus and poo poo too

I think its a positive side effect unintended, which Im sure somehow Cronus and its ilk will figure out how to bypass.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Good gently caress the cheaters.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MarcusSA posted:

Good gently caress the cheaters.
yes

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The controller thing I think mostly negatively affects custom fight stick people. Depending on how wide they're casting the net for "unauthorized" this could mean there's nothing commercially available for Xbox in terms of leverless fighting game controllers (Hitbox etc.)

That said, it seems despite some of the earlier indications the fighting game scene could potentially do Xbox instead of PlayStation, that doesn't seem to have played out that way, they're almost all run on PC or PS5 now (with PS4 Pro also around for pre-SF6 titles), so I don't think this will have any real effect for any fighting game tournaments.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Barudak posted:

I think its a positive side effect unintended, which Im sure somehow Cronus and its ilk will figure out how to bypass.

If its a hardware whitelist im not sure how, but they are scum so im sure they will try

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

univbee posted:

The controller thing I think mostly negatively affects custom fight stick people. Depending on how wide they're casting the net for "unauthorized" this could mean there's nothing commercially available for Xbox in terms of leverless fighting game controllers (Hitbox etc.)

That said, it seems despite some of the earlier indications the fighting game scene could potentially do Xbox instead of PlayStation, that doesn't seem to have played out that way, they're almost all run on PC or PS5 now (with PS4 Pro also around for pre-SF6 titles), so I don't think this will have any real effect for any fighting game tournaments.

Aren't people that are spending the money on sticks worried about latency and probably getting wired anyways

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

Aren't people that are spending the money on sticks worried about latency and probably getting wired anyways

The unauthorized ban isn't wireless-only, it also affects wired. Brook first highlighted this and their affected products are all wired-only.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

univbee posted:

The unauthorized ban isn't wireless-only, it also affects wired. Brook first highlighted this and their affected products are all wired-only.

Oh sorry missed the "expand to wireless" part. My bad.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For what it's worth here's Brook's info about the issue on their end.

https://x.com/brookgamingfans/status/1715337068401021284?s=20

(edit I have no idea why it says that's a sensitive picture, it's just text listing the affected products of theirs)

I think the Snackbox Micro might also fall under this "no longer supported" category.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This don't affect me, because I use the origina xbox controller, but I sill see this has a bad move.

This looks to me like a forced certification process designed so they get another monetary stream. So the people making these cheap controllers have to pay microsoft, and of course will make these controllers more expensive. People that wanted cheaper controllers for whatever reason (maybe they have kids that break them often) now will see how the controllers are either more expensive (so Microsoft get a cut) or lower quality (to mantain profit).

In general I want consoles to be has open has possible, and this is the opposite.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

am i an unauthorized third-party accessory??

an accessory.....*clicks flashlight under chin* to MURDER

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tei posted:

This don't affect me, because I use the origina xbox controller, but I sill see this has a bad move.

This looks to me like a forced certification process designed so they get another monetary stream. So the people making these cheap controllers have to pay microsoft, and of course will make these controllers more expensive. People that wanted cheaper controllers for whatever reason (maybe they have kids that break them often) now will see how the controllers are either more expensive (so Microsoft get a cut) or lower quality (to mantain profit).

In general I want consoles to be has open has possible, and this is the opposite.

This policy/license cut has been in place since the 360 era. This is affecting only super-enthusiast stuff like those Brooks converters, or total scam bootleg stuff. Lower cost options like the PowerA controllers are already licensed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hack controller users and fighting game nerds getting mad and I just keep on playing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

elf help book posted:

This policy/license cut has been in place since the 360 era. This is affecting only super-enthusiast stuff like those Brooks converters, or total scam bootleg stuff. Lower cost options like the PowerA controllers are already licensed.
I'm pretty sure this is primarily to break/disable those devices that translate keyboard and mouse controls to gamepad controls to take advantage of gamepad autoaim in cross-platform games like CoD (which already makes its own attempts to detect and ban them).

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
There’s nothing to say they plan on banning USB sticks is there? I’ve got like 64GB of music I jam out to in Forza Horizon/etc. using whatever that highly rated music player is.

(I don’t care about Spotify, half my poo poo is mashups)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

elf help book posted:

Are the Brook adapters super enthusiast only? I got one because Xbox one sticks are super rare and expensive. I think I paid like $30 for it where as a razer atrox stick is like $200+ and really hard to find. I paid $100 for one earlier this year. Just got an 8bitdo wireless Xbox stick for $80 shipped off woot and it is 95% perfect. It does not seem to work on Xbox 360 games even running on the series x. So no Soul Caliber 2HD, no SF2HD.

felked
Jul 4, 2023

Really wish I had just bought sf6 on pc. Got it on Xbox and play with my hitbox I put together with a universal brooks board. Guess there is probably only a small group of ppl this affects but hope they find a solution that isnt “buy the 8bitdo stick or gently caress off”.

I mean before this I’d tried to tell ppl the series s was the ideal console for local fighting game tournaments lol. That’s def gone now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the s isn’t the ideal console for anything

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tei posted:

You are dumb.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Imagine polluting your Series seX with some wish.com pervert "gamepad"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno why I'm so terrible at just, playing games while they're available, but it's kinda fun rushing to see if I can finish stuff before it leaves gamepass. Signalis is freakin sweet, we'll see if I can get it done by tonight

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the s isn’t the ideal console for anything

It’s the ideal console for making nerds very angry

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yep. angry when they realise they can’t play 50 cent blood in the sand!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

elf help book posted:

Yeah, to be clear, this doesn't affect the kind of stuff you find at Walmart, Best Buy and Gamestop in terms of "the lovely controller you force your younger sibling to use." This would mainly affect devices like the Cronus line of products (which are mostly geared towards hooking up a kb+m in an unofficial manner so it appears like a regular controller, and also support various types of macroing for cheat-style shenanigans), and the Brook adapters which are mostly aimed at allowing some flexibility in controller used especially for fighting games, although it also works for things like racing wheels and taiko drums, especially if you have a fave from like the PS3/360 era. This would also negatively impact dodgy stuff from Wish.com and AliExpress but I think those were already not really advertising as being directly Xbox compatible anyway, and more of a PC-only thing.

All of this gets very weird because honestly if you have a set mind about it you can probably accomplish a lot of this stuff fairly transparently by using either the Xbox Adaptive Controller or shucking the board from an official licensed fight stick and hooking up whatever dodgy stuff you want to that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Martman posted:

I dunno why I'm so terrible at just, playing games while they're available, but it's kinda fun rushing to see if I can finish stuff before it leaves gamepass. Signalis is freakin sweet, we'll see if I can get it done by tonight

It's like the procrastinating effect. You need a deadline that's looming to really kick you in the pants.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Playing koi koi for hours instead of any of the games leaving soon ftw.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Well gently caress. I use a flight-sim specific peripheral (Axair MIAP) that afaik sends keyboard combo signals that can be bound in MSFS to adjust knobs and run autopilot functions etc. No idea if this will no longer work as it isn’t a controller per se, but it’s concerning

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fly Ricky posted:

There’s nothing to say they plan on banning USB sticks is there? I’ve got like 64GB of music I jam out to in Forza Horizon/etc. using whatever that highly rated music player is.

(I don’t care about Spotify, half my poo poo is mashups)

Is this FH specific?

Remember how the original Xbox let you load mp3s into it and then play your music inside of games? I want that back so badly. Is there some bootleg way to do this?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The official Xbox headset can connect to your phone over BT at the same time as the console. So if you can mute the game music, you can play your own in the background. Not perfect integration, but pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, the way they handled that on a game by game basis on the og Xbox was really cool when implemented well. When the GTA trilogy made it to Xbox, it set the gold standard which I don't think any game really came close to matching. They made a CD player and put it at the end of the radio dial, for playing your own mp3s. And just like the in game music, it would play when you drove, stop when you parked, and it you bail out and leave the car running you still hear the music coming out of the car like normal. They called it a tape deck in Vice City. Nothing else ever seemed quite as well integrated, but I remember one of those GTA knockoffs having a custom music option (I think it was one of both of the true crime games?) Black had the ability for custom tracks and I think it just replaced the music in the the levels with whatever mp3s you had loaded up.

NFL 2K5 had pretty crazy implementation where you could get very granular and break things down into clips to play in the stadiums for various events like hometeam touchdowns and stuff, and layered sound effects to make it sound like it was actually being played in a stadium.

The way you can mute the game music and play Spotify now is okay, but it just doesn't have the same vibe.