Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Spent the weekend with husband's family and our boy's cousin, who's 2 weeks older than him. It's crazy how different they are at 8 months. Cousin is a really courteous baby who loves just holding things and looking at them - her fave was an empty candy box she could put things in and take them out. Ours is super loud and rambunctious and stuffs everything (including human faces) in his mouth as soon as he gets hold of anything. He's always covered in food and loves making other people laugh and smile at him.

Anyway, I love my little guy so much. He's such a funny little treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Doll House Ghost posted:

Spent the weekend with husband's family and our boy's cousin, who's 2 weeks older than him. It's crazy how different they are at 8 months. Cousin is a really courteous baby who loves just holding things and looking at them - her fave was an empty candy box she could put things in and take them out. Ours is super loud and rambunctious and stuffs everything (including human faces) in his mouth as soon as he gets hold of anything. He's always covered in food and loves making other people laugh and smile at him.

Anyway, I love my little guy so much. He's such a funny little treat.

Silly clown babies can become a lot but I wouldn't trade mine for the world

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Sometimes I go to other people’s houses and their little kids just sit? and play? Weird.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My 3 year old son got a slap bracelet trick or treating last weekend. He's been fascinated by it and has decided he has to wear it while he sleeps.

Everyone here knows the rest of this story and what the last couple hours have been

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

Sometimes I go to other people’s houses and their little kids just sit? and play? Weird.

other people's kids play with other kids? or want to do something other than read books?

god my kid's a nerd.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We did a trunk and treat last night and man it was awesome. We had planned on hitting a few of them to stock up but there was something like 60 cars there. Our daughter did a great job with interacting with people and made sure to say thank you. She went as Ghost Spider from Spidey and his Amazing Friends. She choose that without knowing that the character and her share the same name. People got a kick out of that during the walk through.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

calandryll posted:

We did a trunk and treat last night and man it was awesome. We had planned on hitting a few of them to stock up but there was something like 60 cars there. Our daughter did a great job with interacting with people and made sure to say thank you. She went as Ghost Spider from Spidey and his Amazing Friends. She choose that without knowing that the character and her share the same name. People got a kick out of that during the walk through.

Your daughter’s nickname is Ghostie?

My daughter also loves Ghost Spider and I just got her a Ghost Spider hoodie. She is also perpetually pleased that her nickname is the same as a famous Pokémon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our kid picked up "cocaine-no" from daycare. Apparently. Like, a very inappropriate variant of volcano. Just shouting it over and over from the back seat on the long ride home today

Looking forward to that one slipping out while in line at the grocery store

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Time to start feeling old(er), nephew and his fiance are having their first child next may. So my parents will become great grandparents and I a great uncle. The family tree is getting cumbersomely large.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm so sleep deprived that I thought 3+3+2 was 9 and convinced myself I was being gaslit because I only own 8 bottles so where did the extra one come from??

Can't say I'm a fan of this newborn thing.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Renegret posted:

Parenting Thread: Can't say I'm a fan of this newborn thing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Renegret traces 3+3+2=9 idly on the counter.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Little Buddy.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My husband and I were both so tired from the toddler sleeping poorly that we both almost set the house on fire from two separate instances in the same day. I put a paper plate with some shiny bits in the microwave, and my husband turned on the wrong burner on the stove and lit up a towel. It was like something out of a sitcom.
I don’t know how you guys with toddlers plus a newborn function at all!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We have a toddler and a newborn, and honestly the newborn just seems so easy this time around. I am sorry to say they end up basically getting plopped in a chair or play pen or something else to occupy themselves while we handle the toddler. This may change soon though, since the baby just turned 7mo and is getting ready to crawl. I am sure it is going to be more difficult once both of them are mobile.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Eeyo posted:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Little Buddy.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

nesbit37 posted:

I am sure it is going to be more difficult once both of them are mobile.

It is

Also we’re going to be moving and now I need to arrange for new daycare coverage again lol :rip:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

nesbit37 posted:

We have a toddler and a newborn, and honestly the newborn just seems so easy this time around. I am sorry to say they end up basically getting plopped in a chair or play pen or something else to occupy themselves while we handle the toddler. This may change soon though, since the baby just turned 7mo and is getting ready to crawl. I am sure it is going to be more difficult once both of them are mobile.

This 100%. The baby (4 months old now!) started daycare today and the toddler handled it way worse.

Also I knew we were picking a popular name for the baby, but I wasn't actually expecting someone else in the baby class to share her name. They added a profile picture to the app the daycare uses and I don't recognize the shirt she's wearing, so they might have had to change her and put her in one of the other girl's onesies. Or I've just already forgotten what spare clothes we brought in for her.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Eeyo posted:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

My 3 month old has fully embraced smiling. He also loves big sloppy dad kisses on the cheeks that make him laugh (or whatever the noise is he makes since he hasn’t really learned to properly laugh yet, makes this face > :imunfunny:). It’s the best :3:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Heck yeah that sounds awesome. My boy was a big smiler too, he'd just smile at everything. He'd do it when I tapped him on the nose, I called it his "smile button".

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

remigious posted:

My husband and I were both so tired from the toddler sleeping poorly that we both almost set the house on fire from two separate instances in the same day. I put a paper plate with some shiny bits in the microwave, and my husband turned on the wrong burner on the stove and lit up a towel. It was like something out of a sitcom.
I don’t know how you guys with toddlers plus a newborn function at all!

Yeah. The other day my so found 5 empty tuppers in the fridge, where I had put them rather than the cupboard. Sleep deprived brain damage is cool cool cool.

Also the current thread title was a bit of a mantra for us last night when the kid would not go down to sleep for the night. Just up and decided to be wide awake and screamy for an extra 3 hours past bedtime while we tried everything to troubleshoot (rocking, milk, Motrin, time, etc etc etc). Normally he’s down in 10 with minimal anguish.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

:3:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah. The other day my so found 5 empty tuppers in the fridge, where I had put them rather than the cupboard.

I do this even when not sleep deprived tbh. Earlier today I had a fork in one hand, opened the drawer to get a knife and picked up another fork instead.

Also is anyone here keeping their toddler home from daycare when your new babies are born? We are leaning towards doing this to keep all the diseases away from newborn babby for at least a few weeks. I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Eeyo posted:

Heck yeah that sounds awesome. My boy was a big smiler too, he'd just smile at everything. He'd do it when I tapped him on the nose, I called it his "smile button".

This sounds correct! Tapping his nose slightly was how I got him to calm down as I held him right after birth and then to smile before he got better at reading our faces!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I do this even when not sleep deprived tbh. Earlier today I had a fork in one hand, opened the drawer to get a knife and picked up another fork instead.

Also is anyone here keeping their toddler home from daycare when your new babies are born? We are leaning towards doing this to keep all the diseases away from newborn babby for at least a few weeks. I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

We didn't keep our toddler home. We didn't want to mess up her routine, and honestly, having her at home with the new baby all the time would have driven us mad.

#2 was born in June, though. If she was born in flu season the math might have worked out different for us.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

My husband wanted to keep our older kid home when we had our daughter. But we have extremely minimal support outside of one another, like neither of our parents are up to the task and we'd just moved to the area before I got pregnant. Trying to keep the elder kid occupied would have been agony. Ymmv though, if your elder kid is very chill and keeps themself busy well, then it might be worth it!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Among the other reasons mentioned here (lack of support is a huge issue), we couldn’t remove our child from daycare for a few weeks without losing our spot and having to re-enroll a few months later. There’s a waiting list here.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Toddler went to daycare because my god we couldn't have dealt with a toddler demanding attention AND the newborn, meanwhile we all had COVID and the toddler had a head cold.

That sure was an experience this year.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I think brand newborn babies are coasting on mum's immune system from the shared blood during pregnancy for at least a few weeks. Then - if breast feeding - they get further boost from that. IMO don't create a problem for yourself trying to solve a problem that hasn't happened yet.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah we kept kiddo home for one week. He deserves time with his brother too.

This week he went back since, #1 Halloween is tomorrow and that's been hyped up, #2 oh my god leave me alone, you need an outlet for that energy, and #3 all hail routine. ALL HAIL ROUTINE.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I live in Japan, and over here daycares are split into public and private ones. Anybody can get into private daycares, but they're very expensive (in Japan terms). The one my daughter goes to costs around $800 a month for 3 days a week, 9 to 4.

Public daycares are subsidized and thus insanely cheap compared to American standards. How much depends on where you live and your income, but they can be under $300 a month for 5 days a week 9 to 6. The issue is that they almost all have wait lists, and your position on the list is based on a points system. Single parent families are almost guaranteed to get in, children with disabilities get more points, etc. In general, both parents need to be working a full time job in order to have any chance whatsoever of getting a spot in a public daycare.

The hosed up bit is if you have a second child and either (or both) parents take paternity leave, then they may kick your first child out of daycare because a parent is now at home instead of working and able to take care of the child, so there's no need for them to take up a spot at daycare!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

The hosed up bit is if you have a second child and either (or both) parents take paternity leave, then they may kick your first child out of daycare because a parent is now at home instead of working and able to take care of the child, so there's no need for them to take up a spot at daycare!

I also live in Japan, I will have to ask my wife and check on this. Would be pretty hosed up for that to happen!

And yes, it’s super competitive in some areas - my wife visited about 10 different public (ninka-hoikuen) locations, and we applied for about 16 that were close enough, and I was still basically convinced we would have to start at my company’s daycare before a spot opened. But we got our girl in from the start of the school year in April first time :coal:

At least it worked out and the cost we pay has gone down in recent months too.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

In his first month, our newborn was exposed to a cold (from me immediately upon birth since I started having symptoms a few hours later) and what I think was rotavirus from his brother. He was going to get exposed to one of those regardless of daycare and didn’t become ill from either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ideally any healthy baby should handle the flu ok. Talking about literal rights of passage here.

The first six months are crazy variable, growth charts take that into affect

Baby struggling to shrug off the flu at 9 months? Three months with a cough? Definitely take them into the doctor for additional observation . Anything lasting longer than 9 days is reason for suspect. Covid will definitely take 14+ days but still best to get it checked out by a doctor at that point, so they have medical history if it becomes a problem

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Spoggerific posted:

Sweden doesn't have a points system, so the queue is just a simple FIFO, but it's similar in that if you take out parental leave they reduce your hours at the preschool/daycare. It's a good way to save on taxpayer money, IMO. Still, a 3-year-old needs some preschool time to develop socially, so they allow you at least 15h per week.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mini Pony has consistently wanted* to be an M&M cookie for Halloween.

I anticipated being told I put the colors in the wrong spots, all the M&Ms are held on with Velcro

* until about a week ago when "I'm gonna be a pumpkin!" started popping up about 50% of the time.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

That is adorable.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Our child has decided to be a ghost witch cat pumpkin princess. The pumpkin part seems to be a state of mind.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The pumpkin is to spice it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter is a pineapple, my son is a ghost cat. Mom's an art teacher so she pulled together some pretty cute little felt costumes.

The ghost cat costume is already filthy from being worn at every opportunity