Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Wendigee posted:

My company had 20 QA people... Now we have 4 proper QA people and 16 people that write code, but our software has no API so they can only test the web pages. Gotta be by far most useless part of the team. I manual test a new feature , then if it's on a web interface they come ask me how it works and write a little code that does what 8 just did... Like what? The code automation guys get paid significant more money than too lol.

I'm stuck in test automation "churn" for my company's web products. INSTEAD of automating API and SQL interfaces, I'm stuck turning half assed manual tests into an automated regression test suite. OK, great, I've validated this one part of the web interface, but I can't get approval to do anything more than that. The second I dig for any hidden meaning, I get asked how many tests I automated that day...

...I do get paid a lot to not think about it, though. I'm just a good little pay piggy.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

satanic splash-back posted:

The only thing worse than videogame fans are people who watch people play video games and think that is equivalent to actually playing and interacting with video games

I intellectually understand that watching playthroughs can be fun like watching sports can, but on an emotional level it's just "deliberately relive that year when my friend James had an awesome computer and I didn't so I got to go over and watch him play games and I kept doing it because it was still better than the alternative, which was nothing I guess".

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

sinc posted:

In a pinch, I made the mistake of installing the Teams app on my personal video game machine, and logging in once. It added an apparently unremovable work e-mail user account somewhere deep inside my Windows settings, it keeps popping up in unrelated places and sometimes I randomly see our company logo plastered in unexpected spots like at the top of the start menu. Considering reinstall because I’m not sure if I’m now somehow shadow managed by the corporate IT.

Type "unionisation" in the search bar and see if it resets the computer.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Wall street looks at the second derivative of your profit. So it's not enough to make money, and it's not enough to make more money than you did before. You have to make more money than you did before, and do so by more than the last (year-over-year) increase in your profit.

Pandemic years were insane windfalls for tech companies, so now, even though they are often making more money than they did during the pandemic, the second derivative is negative. This has wall street very freaked out, and thus the tech execs are doing everything they can to make number still go up for just One. More. Quarter.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I know that bitching about Facebook is passé, but over here pretty much every venue still uses it to promote events, including various punky dive bars and alternative venues, so it's still a pretty valuable tool if you want to go out somewhere.

Except their event calendar became absolute dogshit. Not only did they hide the various sorting options, but it regularly fucks up the sorting to an unbelievable degree. If I select events tomorrow in my city, I regularly get stuff that's happening today, or even stuff that happened yesterday, often in a completely different city. How do you gently caress up that much?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They must have used the same insane algorithm they used for Facebook Marketplace.

Sure, I searched for firewood within 12 miles, but I guess I'll have a gander at this lawn tractor a state over.

The ads aren't even using keyword spam! How did this almost replace Craigslist?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I still use Facebook for two things:
- a friend who pretty much is the only person who uses it
- informing the boomers in my life that I am still alive around every six months

And visiting the main site, it’s horrific. It’s like an Old Navy clearance section.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

sinc posted:

In a pinch, I made the mistake of installing the Teams app on my personal video game machine, and logging in once. It added an apparently unremovable work e-mail user account somewhere deep inside my Windows settings, it keeps popping up in unrelated places and sometimes I randomly see our company logo plastered in unexpected spots like at the top of the start menu. Considering reinstall because I’m not sure if I’m now somehow shadow managed by the corporate IT.

This is just hearsay but I have been warned that installing Microsoft 365 products on personal PCs/phone with your work account does give corporate IT a much deeper level of access to your device than most people realize. I don't know if that's true but that's my excuse for not checking my work email on my own time.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I use facebook messenger to keep in touch with some people, but I got out of the way of looking at the main site years ago.
I just took a look and it is so much worse that I remember. Nothing but boomer memes from accounts I've never heard of. Do no actual humans post there anymore?

e: I scrolled down for several minutes and eventually found a bunch of posts from actual contacts of mine. Then I scrolled back up and most of the bullshit posts had disappeared. Then I refreshed the page and all the bullshit was back. I guess that's what facebook is now.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 30, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hitting the “back” button on any web browser almost never works

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love frantically clicking the back button in a race to overcome all the scripts and God knows what that are trying to prevent me from leaving a website

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

The only thing worse than videogame fans are people who watch people play video games and think that is equivalent to actually playing and interacting with video games

There is one particular genre of games that I feel is really suited towards let's plays, and that is (especially older) point and click adventure games. I watched an lp of grim fandango recently and it was great getting all the dialogue, story and setting without having to deal with the frustrations of esoteric puzzles.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

sinc posted:

Start, Settings, Accounts. Go through each of the options here, and you should be able to find your work profile and remove it.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

free hubcaps posted:

There is one particular genre of games that I feel is really suited towards let's plays, and that is (especially older) point and click adventure games. I watched an lp of grim fandango recently and it was great getting all the dialogue, story and setting without having to deal with the frustrations of esoteric puzzles.

Watching someone else best Riven is like 85% of the satisfaction of beating it yourself but without dealing with a bunch of frustrating puzzles that were totally not intended to drive sales of the official guide book.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Ill put on Silent Hill and Resident Evil games while I do housework. a lot of brand new $70 dollar games on $500 consoles are better served as disposable free entertainment as part of my internet plan. my honor as a gamer is not besmirched because somebody else manipulated the controller, its fine.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

Wall street looks at the second derivative of your profit. So it's not enough to make money, and it's not enough to make more money than you did before. You have to make more money than you did before, and do so by more than the last (year-over-year) increase in your profit.

Pandemic years were insane windfalls for tech companies, so now, even though they are often making more money than they did during the pandemic, the second derivative is negative. This has wall street very freaked out, and thus the tech execs are doing everything they can to make number still go up for just One. More. Quarter.

I remember when I was a kid my parents would have :foxnews: running and I would watch the endless stock market reports and wonder even at that tender age why the august owners of our economy seemed like a bunch of stupid herd animals that panic at the slightest provocation and sabotage their own wealth with emotional reasoning--"I heard profits might be slightly less than predicted, time to tank my own portfolio :supaburn:"

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More

StormDrain posted:

You don't uncheck it, you pick a no search option. I did this last week.

:doh: god drat it. Thanks, that did it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

free hubcaps posted:

Also spooky games. Fatal Frame games terrify me - the fact you 'sense' the ghosts through your controller heartbeat first before seeing them gets me every loving time. I can't make it through one with all my film intact for the big boss battles bc I panic and waste it on the 'normal' ghosts, so I always get stuck since the game is so brutal with resources.

But also I want to see the spooky game! Watching someone else play means I don't have to stress myself out just to see some cool spooky stuff.

Like, I don't ever want to play a Resident Evil game again, but I enjoy watching a playthrough. Resident Evil 7 was pretty brutally disgusting and kinda made me nauseous at a few points, I wouldn't have wanted to be actually playing it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 30, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

cans of soup are smaller

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

naem posted:

cans of soup are smaller

Weekly grocery ad called out the butter sale as being valid on 16oz and 13oz sizes, so that's apparently next as they run through stock

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 30, 2023

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

wash bucket posted:

Ah, that reminds me of another Windows gripe. Both Outlook and Teams can run hidden/minimized to the system tray in Win10. But Outlook minimizes to the system tray while Teams closes to the system tray. You can't make them both behave the same way and I always forget which one I have to minimize to hide and which one I have to close to hide.

Another sad inconsistency with MS products: They made a folder specifically for savegames back in Vista days and yet even their own first party studios don't use it and create their own folders in user or documents folders. Age of Empires: DE made a Games folder in user folder just for itself.
Why are they so bad at following their own standards??

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

naem posted:

cans of soup are smaller

I noticed that with multiple kinds of canned goods, actually

Extremely cool and good

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

naem posted:

cans of soup are smaller

Ice cream is no longer a pint. Well Ben and Jerry's is still a pint but I swear they're adding more stabilizers then they use to although I could be wrong.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 30, 2023

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

I remember when I was a kid my parents would have :foxnews: running and I would watch the endless stock market reports and wonder even at that tender age why the august owners of our economy seemed like a bunch of stupid herd animals that panic at the slightest provocation and sabotage their own wealth with emotional reasoning--"I heard profits might be slightly less than predicted, time to tank my own portfolio :supaburn:"

Half the time the stock tanks after the company beats earnings expectations, but does so by less than expected

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Also, the stock market shouldn't exist at all in this day and age.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GolfHole posted:

The stock market being entirely dependent on automated stock trade robots/programs nowadays makes me very concerned for the future

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GolfHole posted:

Hey hey don't go that far now my number goes up so it must be good! *ignores the shittification of everything in the quest for ever bigger numbers*.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Duck and Cover posted:

Ice cream is no longer a pint. Well Ben and Jerry's is still a pint but I swear they're adding more stabilizers then they use to although I could be wrong.

With ice cream it is easy to just whip in more air and keep the containers the same size. You could even raise prices while putting less actual stuff in the containers!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

withak posted:

With ice cream it is easy to just whip in more air and keep the containers the same size. You could even raise prices while putting less actual stuff in the containers!

Get out of here, Mrs Thatcher

naem
May 29, 2011

re: soup cans, campbells chunky is their high calorie meal in a can variety and the price went from $2 to over $4 in under 5 years,

then the can got skinnier by almost a quarter by volume

I’ve always waited for a sale and bought like 10 cans to have in my cupboard for rainy days etc, dump it on some rice or pasta for an easy meal

I switched to Aldi because their store brand stuff is half the cost aka the price is what it should be, but Aldi’s version of chunky just got skinnier too it’s significantly less food for the money

I no joke bought like $200 some dollars of the last of their stock of the full size cans to just have, going to start a museum some day

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you want some depressing reading, this guy is cataloguing the relentless pace of shrinkflation right here -- with lots of pictures!

https://www.mouseprint.org/category/downsiz/

nulldev1ce
Aug 16, 2002
Shiny Globule
May be old news to everyone but me. Modern cars with HD FM usually display artist and title, but now, it's a mortgage ad?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

naem posted:

re: soup cans

I don't know if my tastes have changed from youth, but soup from a can is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too salty for human consumption.

I reckon it's because the ingredients are direr and direr and need more and more preservatives.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
All the stations here have done that for years. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen it used for artist information. Also, I’ve never had a car with HD radio so the regular stations that do this too.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

withak posted:

While that's true, there is a minimum weight per gallon that the FDA allows for anything labeled "ice cream," so I'm sure you'll see more brands move to dubious naming schemes like "ice creem" (frozen dairy dessert) in the future.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

nulldev1ce posted:

May be old news to everyone but me. Modern cars with HD FM usually display artist and title, but now, it's a mortgage ad?

My car is too old for this sort of thing but drat that’s bleak.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are you sure it isn't the radio station blasting ads in the radio text?

E:fb

naem
May 29, 2011

GolfHole posted:

I don't know if my tastes have changed from youth, but soup from a can is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too salty for human consumption.

I reckon it's because the ingredients are direr and direr and need more and more preservatives.

I just sleep better at night knowing that I have 400 plus calories in a can that lasts for years I can thin out with carbs etc if needed even if the lights go out

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

nulldev1ce posted:

You have your aircon on when it's 39F outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
one FM station here still shows artist and song info but it up's to several minutes off time with what's playing. the others used to but now don't broadcast anything but a station name. not sure