Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It is vaguely bad taste to make toys of space nazis tbh

Not that I have taste, but the point still stands.

Well yeah, the point is more that it's utterly quaint to bring up considering what the precedent is. Hell, Megatron is literally made to sell toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Then how am I supposed to have the good guy toy punch them and go PSHKOW with my mouth if there’s no space nazi toy, huh smart guy???

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah but its still fun to buy star wars space nazis and also 40k space nazis and have them kill each other in little dioramas.

LashLightning posted:

I think it's also that plushies are just easier to get made nowadays. There's that one company that does, effectively, Kickstarters for YouTube artist's OCs to have a run of plushies being made. The Bloodborne Kart lady has had two different plushie runs, a guy who makes fairly simple animations had a run for his slime-blob character (and maybe the character's baby, too?)

Edit: Bloodborne Kart lady (with 100k followers) has had two plushies, JoCat with 1.13M followers has had 7.

Glitch has 3.55M followers, and is an organisation, so makes sense to take things into their own hands, work directly with whatever Chinese factory produces these, and make... 2 plushies.

Edit, again: there's also this website you can work with to get a plushie made.

At this point it'd be more strange if they hadn't made plushies. It's the new t-shirts!

as someone who buys plushies and has poo poo made custom. depends what you want and how much your willing to pay.

i have a bunch of hand made ones from various artists and while expensive they tend to be amazing quality.
but yeah alot of indie companies usually just use makeship or some artist to make the designs and then mass produce a couple to see how they do.

MJeff posted:

I would much rather you immediately come out with merch ready to go because if I'm someone who likes the thing and wants to support it, I have an immediate, simple, obvious way to support it. I give you my money, my money hopefully helps the thing I like keep getting made and in the meantime, I get a cute toy of the thing that I like. And this thing is probably as popular as its ever going to be at least if and until it gets picked up, so having the merch ready to go on release is striking while the iron is hot which, again, if I'm someone who likes the thing and wants more of it, I vastly prefer you to do.

Is it a bit :capitalism:? Sure, but. Those are the rules. Makin' stuff costs money. We may, in fact, live in a society.

yeah, like weirdly enough disney king of corps fucks this up pretty often. like when baby yoda blew up, they didnt have toys of him at all and didnt for a good half a year.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Wormmon! :swoon:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, like weirdly enough disney king of corps fucks this up pretty often. like when baby yoda blew up, they didnt have toys of him at all and didnt for a good half a year.

Well, I think that was the secret to the success of the first season of The Mandalorian. Disney didn't have much faith in it, so it didn't get meddled with by executives.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Continuing my first-time watch of Adventure Time and I'm slowly making it through season five.

...I'm never going to be able to listen to the Cheers theme again, huh?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Supposedly they didn't have any merch of him because they were trying to keep his existence a secret and keep him from leaking out, which lol.

Zootopia's a good example too. They had a bit of merch when the movie came out but not nearly as much as people wanted and it took them quite some time to course correct there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well, I think that was the secret to the success of the first season of The Mandalorian. Disney didn't have much faith in it, so it didn't get meddled with by executives.

yeah that too.

found him on ebay. most of my plushes are either from like specialty places, weird finds or customes.

i mostly use this artist. have a loona and jangle and collin from her too. will probably round up IMP next year.

https://www.instagram.com/angeru_crafts/?hl=en

Vandar posted:

Continuing my first-time watch of Adventure Time and I'm slowly making it through season five.

Supposedly they didn't have any merch of him because they were trying to keep his existence a secret and keep him from leaking out, which lol.

Zootopia's a good example too. They had a bit of merch when the movie came out but not nearly as much as people wanted and it took them quite some time to course correct there.
the various big disney shows like amphibia and owl house have the same issue. there is very little oficcial merch of either

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Man Scavenger's Reign really is amazing. Great visuals, feels really thoughtful and like they've spent time on every single bit and made sure it makes sense.
I'd somehow not noticed Fiona had the same voice as Levi. Like Levi really sounds like Maeby but Fiona doesn't, somehow? The relationship between Avi and Levi is great too, just really pleasant. To a degree it's also nice to hear Wunmi Moskau with all these americans bringing a more "home" voice.

I loving love the creature that's with Kamen. I don't even really know why, something about the expressions it has?

And it's STILL not loving broadcast here in in the UK. They need to fix that. Hasn't got many reviews on IDMB either which does suggest not many people are watching.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vandar posted:

I'm only a little ways ahead of you. Right around mid-S5 and into S6 it seems like the "lore" stuff just ramps way the hell up and everything is some deep significant poo poo. I've had to go looking the episodes up in the wiki right after and see what the reference nerds have mined out of them. This wasn't necessary earlier on

Some of the experimental concept episodes work real well, some are baffling

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vandar posted:

This is what I heard too, it was a creative decision rather than a business blunder, but that could just be spin to cover for the fact that they didn't believe in it.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Vandar posted:

Disney didn't make enough plushies for the audience they were pandering to.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would expect Disney of all companies to be able to accurately gauge the insatiability and disposable income of the furry community. Shameful.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the few things that I do kinda like about Digital Circus is that it kinda gets me a vibe like it's trying to emulate old edutainment computer games, which were a big part of my childhood, but I think most of them are gone after being replaced by more "real" games and culture at large seldom references them existing anymore (and also whenever I try looking them up, it's always a weird experience because on top of only half-remembering them, most were fairly small time and unsuccessful because the market fell out at some point so they're very obscure).

But it's also old hat and feels pretty hacky to me at this point to make a big thing of the eccentricities of children's entertainment being surreal and scary. And the only thing more old hat in that vein is remarking on how weird and surreal circuses are. Like no poo poo, most circus stuff is well over a hundred years old and circuses themselves are nearly extinct.

It does kinda bug me sometimes how much more Imperial merch that Disney sells relative to the good guy merch of Star Wars and how the dynamics of Imperial stuff being apparently more "toyetic" affect the readings of the fiction. Everybody wants a Stormtrooper helmet, but it's really rare for people to be going around wearing a dumb Rebel hat. But I don't really have much of a coherent idea of the actual effect of that.

Maybe it's a bit wrong for a more adult-targeted property to sell toys that make it seem more childish and might give people the wrong idea, but modern adults buy a lot of toys too, so whatever.

It is abnormal for a new thing to come flying out the gate with so much merch, but I also get the impression that a lot of TV-level stuff lately has been way too hesitant on making and selling merch that kinda reduces its overall profitability and probably makes it easier to memoryhole things after they're done (probably more relevant on the corporate side than on the consumer side).

It can be risky to invest so much into merch this early on though, and that's especially dangerous for indie things with tighter budgets and business amateurs.

MJeff posted:

I would expect Disney of all companies to be able to accurately gauge the insatiability and disposable income of the furry community. Shameful.

Disney sells a whole lot of merch, but at this point I think they're very reticent to sell much as merch of the newer IPs, and it seems like they have some kind of mentality that they're afraid of competing with themselves, so they don't make use of their full variety of IP and just keep hammering on the biggest properties.

Then again, there was a whole lot of merch they put out for that Buzz Lightyear movie, and that much of that merch is still hanging around on shelves now, apparently unbought, so that probably is one of those big hollywood failures where it probably wasn't a financial failure, but it made way less than the company wanted it to.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 30, 2023

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I agree Disney seems more hesitant with new properties, when making sequels or live-action remakes have their own established audience. Both of which are far from a guaranteed success lately, but at least people know what they're in for.

Lightyear failed because two women pecked on the lips and that made all the usual zealots upset for some reason. The story wasn't that great, either.

There's still merch from the Star Wars sequels and Eternals clogging up clearance stores years later.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It doesn't have to be any more sinister or deeper than just the plain fact that the villains are usually cooler and almost always have the best theme music, almost everyone knows the imperial march and even the songs name but you'd probably have a harder time trying to think of iconic "star wars good guy" tune and the name of it, besides cantina song or "the one with the horns that goes doo do do de de do doo"

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Waffle! posted:

Lightyear failed because two women pecked on the lips and that made all the usual zealots upset for some reason. The story wasn't that great, either.

Lightyear was a really bizarre movie. I think it would’ve worked way better without the Buzz tie in and free from the shackles of being a kids movie frankly, the time dilation/time travel stuff was… surprising to see in what’s ostensibly a kids movie. Would’ve been way better if it took a darker direction than it did. I feel like it easily could’ve failed on its own merits versus people actually caring about two women smooching.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Luke's theme when he's watching the two setting suns is pretty iconic, but I think the Imperial March happens before that and is more bombastic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Waffle! posted:

I agree Disney seems more hesitant with new properties, when making sequels or live-action remakes have their own established audience. Both of which are far from a guaranteed success lately, but at least people know what they're in for.

There's still merch from the Star Wars sequels and Eternals clogging up clearance stores years later.

probably joking but the movie failed because it just had a weird stupidly meta concept but didnt do anything with it. like its supposed to be the movie andy watched so its movie of movie in a movie.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It doesn't have to be any more sinister or deeper than just the plain fact that the villains are usually cooler and almost always have the best theme music, almost everyone knows the imperial march and even the songs name but you'd probably have a harder time trying to think of iconic "star wars good guy" tune and the name of it, besides cantina song or "the one with the horns that goes doo do do de de do doo"

its also just the villians are more interesting. like you have stuff like andor that makes both sides more interesting and etc, but i kinda like how disney has done the empire as slow creeping evil that took a decade to get full power. like the obvious evil is obviously their but its more British empire evil where it has "nuances" but is still evil as gently caress mixed with the nazi poo poo. i mean lucas based it off nixon and the US in vietnam mixed with nazis. i think monsters are more interesting then out and out good guys because their is more room for growth and poo poo either as redemption or just sliding down the path.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably joking but the movie failed because it just had a weird stupidly meta concept but didnt do anything with it. like its supposed to be the movie andy watched so its movie of movie in a movie.

its also just the villians are more interesting. like you have stuff like andor that makes both sides more interesting and etc, but i kinda like how disney has done the empire as slow creeping evil that took a decade to get full power. like the obvious evil is obviously their but its more British empire evil where it has "nuances" but is still evil as gently caress mixed with the nazi poo poo. i mean lucas based it off nixon and the US in vietnam mixed with nazis. i think monsters are more interesting then out and out good guys because their is more room for growth and poo poo either as redemption or just sliding down the path.

I still don't really get what about Lightyear would be appealing to a little kid even in-universe (I believe the Buzz Lightyear cartoon from the 90s was better though)

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Fictional things aren't real don't cha know. No one is becoming an actual nazi because Darth Vader has a kickass helmet and I want one.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

And it's STILL not loving broadcast here in in the UK. They need to fix that. Hasn't got many reviews on IDMB either which does suggest not many people are watching.

Feel like they really botched the distribution of this, only being on one of the lesser-subscribed services and in only one country. I feel like a lot more people would be into Scavangers Reign if they could get their eyes on it. It might show up elsewhere later, but it loses the zeitgeist of the initial release.

Oh and in case anyone was worried that zombie simpsons was going anywhere, last night was zombie as hell.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Waffle! posted:

Luke's theme when he's watching the two setting suns is pretty iconic, but I think the Imperial March happens before that and is more bombastic.

A New Hope doesn't have the Imperial March anywhere in it (unless that's another thing Lucas changed on me), John Williams wrote it for The Empire Strikes Back

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

I still don't really get what about Lightyear would be appealing to a little kid even in-universe (I believe the Buzz Lightyear cartoon from the 90s was better though)

lightyear would have worked better if it made in homage to old 70s/80s scifi movies and poo poo, instead its just utterly generic and boring. the 90s cartoon ruled because it knew what is was and played to that.

Phy posted:

A New Hope doesn't have the Imperial March anywhere in it (unless that's another thing Lucas changed on me), John Williams wrote it for The Empire Strikes Back

they are talking about the force theme which is in new hope and through out the movies.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My pet theory is that Disney merchandises the Empire harder because it’s cheaper when you don’t have to pay likeness rights for the actors. I’m probably wrong about this, but most SW merch I see these days centers around masked/puppet characters like Yoda, R2D2, Vader, etc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah that movie was toast wayyy before anything came out about that kiss (unless Disney did their whole "first gay character" press release stunt again, I might have missed that). Just a poor idea with a poor execution to boot.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the various big disney shows like amphibia and owl house have the same issue. there is very little oficcial merch of either

I feel like Disney has always focused more on merch for movies before they even think about stuff for their shows. Which makes sense, it's a lot easier to gauge interest from ticket sales than TV ratings. But it is still a pain.

Splint Chesthair posted:

My pet theory is that Disney merchandises the Empire harder because it’s cheaper when you don’t have to pay likeness rights for the actors. I’m probably wrong about this, but most SW merch I see these days centers around masked/puppet characters like Yoda, R2D2, Vader, etc.

Probably that and probably because a lot of the good guys just aren't as visually appealing? Like don't get me wrong, but like Darth Vader looks cool, Luke Skywalker just looks like a dude. Like, describe Poe Dameron to me without actively looking at a picture.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 30, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
edit: double post

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah that movie was toast wayyy before anything came out about that kiss (unless Disney did their whole "first gay character" press release stunt again, I might have missed that). Just a poor idea with a poor execution to boot.

I feel like Disney has always focused more on merch for movies before they even think about stuff for their shows. Which makes sense, it's a lot easier to gauge interest from ticket sales than TV ratings. But it is still a pain.

Probably that and probably because a lot of the good guys just aren't as visually appealing? Like don't get me wrong, but like Darth Vader looks cool, Luke Skywalker just looks like a dude. Like, describe Poe Dameron to me without actively looking at a picture.

i mean yeah pretty much but the sequels suffer bad from that by making alot of the bad guy arcs more interesting then the good guy ones.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they are talking about the force theme which is in new hope and through out the movies.

I know. Waffle said the Imperial March happens before it, which it doesn't in ANH, because it wasn't written yet.

If they were talking about chronological order rather than filmed order, that's another story, because I don't remember where the Force/Luke's theme was used in the prequels, but I do clearly remember the March. (Especially as a creepy little part of Anakin's theme in Phantom.)

eldomtom2
Oct 13, 2021

SlothfulCobra posted:

But it's also old hat and feels pretty hacky to me at this point to make a big thing of the eccentricities of children's entertainment being surreal and scary.
I know people keep comparing TADC to "warped kids' media" stuff like DHMIS etc. but I genuinely don't see it. Pretty much none of the horror in TADC comes from warping or playing with the aesthetics and/or themes of children's media.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

My bad. The bad guys always have the better uniforms. Those white Imperial capes are dope!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's awesome when the villains are cool. Bad guys are fun. Playing with/as the monster is not cause for alarm. And Disney has a lot worse to answer for than facilitating that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eldomtom2 posted:

I know people keep comparing TADC to "warped kids' media" stuff like DHMIS etc. but I genuinely don't see it. Pretty much none of the horror in TADC comes from warping or playing with the aesthetics and/or themes of children's media.

yeah. i dont really see it. its alot more a straight weird adventure with some creepy poo poo thrown in mixed rather weird super meta stuff like DHMIS. DHMIS is all meta and surialism. this more weird homestar type humor mixed with some vizipop and its own thing.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://twitter.com/gfaqs_txt/status/1366357300617895940

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'd say Digital Circus does use some aesthetic and framing of childrens' media in the character designs and likely intended audience for whatever digital product they are trapped within along with the "adventures" concept. However the show itself doesn't really intend to play with any of that because it just threw that whole aspect out the door within the first minute and shows all its cards on what is going on, then hammering home "yeah this is hosed up" over and over. There is no easing into it, no rugpull.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I'd say Digital Circus does use some aesthetic and framing of childrens' media in the character designs and likely intended audience for whatever digital product they are trapped within along with the "adventures" concept. However the show itself doesn't really intend to play with any of that because it just threw that whole aspect out the door within the first minute and shows all its cards on what is going on, then hammering home "yeah this is hosed up" over and over. There is no easing into it, no rugpull.

i mean i think the problem is everyone else HAS done the rugpull and played with it, your going in expecting it to be hosed up because ever since five nights at freddys and DHMIS thats been a big thing. i kinda like that its upfront with "yeah its creepy" and then moves on to a degree and now about either escpaing or living with it. the "twist" i like is that cain doesnt appear to be genuinly malicious or a mad god or any of that. he is clearly corrupted and kinda of hosed up but he is trying to sorta help everyone their but because he is a kids/family game/show/whatever character/ai whatever, he is kinda limited.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TwoPair posted:

I've always thought Rey had a pretty cool design because she's basically a Disney princess that's allowed to kill people.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Data Graham posted:

I'm only a little ways ahead of you. Right around mid-S5 and into S6 it seems like the "lore" stuff just ramps way the hell up and everything is some deep significant poo poo. I've had to go looking the episodes up in the wiki right after and see what the reference nerds have mined out of them. This wasn't necessary earlier on

Some of the experimental concept episodes work real well, some are baffling

I'm at about the same point in the run, having not watched these episodes basically since they were new. I remember people getting into huge arguments about whether a lot of these episodes were secretly brilliant or just the writers absolutely disappearing up their own asses. I leaned more toward the former when finding animation with interesting themes and world-building was still the exception, but looking back I find myself leaning more toward the latter as I find the execution of the ideas often just doesn't land for me anymore. A lot of these episodes don't elicit much of a reaction from me, just sort of an "okay I get it, can we please move on?" It's a shame, because the early seasons remain as fun and energetic as I remembered and were a real treat to revisit. If I weren't doing this re-watch to eventually bridge into the sequel series then I'd seriously consider skipping a lot of these episodes.

And good lord I want to just mute every Lemongrab episode now. I don't want to skip them because the plots tend to be weird and interesting, but the constant screaming is just miserable to my ears.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Classy Devil posted:

I'm at about the same point in the run, having not watched these episodes basically since they were new. I remember people getting into huge arguments about whether a lot of these episodes were secretly brilliant or just the writers absolutely disappearing up their own asses. I leaned more toward the former when finding animation with interesting themes and world-building was still the exception, but looking back I find myself leaning more toward the latter as I find the execution of the ideas often just doesn't land for me anymore. A lot of these episodes don't elicit much of a reaction from me, just sort of an "okay I get it, can we please move on?" It's a shame, because the early seasons remain as fun and energetic as I remembered and were a real treat to revisit. If I weren't doing this re-watch to eventually bridge into the sequel series then I'd seriously consider skipping a lot of these episodes.

And good lord I want to just mute every Lemongrab episode now. I don't want to skip them because the plots tend to be weird and interesting, but the constant screaming is just miserable to my ears.

i feel like thats what happened with me and regular show. i loved when it was two teenagers doing stupid poo poo and having wacky adventures, and then it turned into mordicais sad love life adventures.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

TwoPair posted:

Like, describe Poe Dameron to me without actively looking at a picture.
he look like Moon Knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm I'm confused about what doesn't land because I also rewatched all of Adventure Time and month or so ago and I liked it more as the lore deepened. Talking of season 6, Wake Up and Escape from the Citadel are incredible, Evergreen is really interesting, Gold Stars contains one of my favorite endings ever, and the comet stuff provides some cool forward momentum to the season. But along the way there are plenty of great self contained episodes like Jake the Brick and Graybles 1000+.

Maybe i just crave the continuity because its so rare in american cartoons, but I loved seeing the world get wider and more interconnected.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 31, 2023