Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Cutting back on the loving days sounds puritanical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Zantie posted:

Cutting back on the loving days sounds puritanical.

Also covid is already doing that.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
stealing this from the cursed thread

this is why masks should be mandatory

https://i.imgur.com/daz6vYw.mp4

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
wonder what he's saying.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
"pffth! thbhbhb pthhf thbhbhb! bth!"

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

"pffth! thbhbhb pthhf thbhbhb! bth!"

what nameless god does this summon

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Psycho Society posted:

what nameless god does this summon

hes nameless how do u expect anyone to answer this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean sadly, 'early January 2022' it was probably impossible to go to a hospital at all without being repeatedly exposed to omicron.

This would be somewhat more of a consolation if standards of infection control were any better now than they were then.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
So I went to a 4-day work conference, in-person, small airless rooms, lots of people, and close contact with at least 1 person confirmed covid positive before they went to the conference. I trusted my respirator and guess what happened lol

I didn't get sick, only trust your respirator

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This isn’t COVID‐related, but at the same time it’s totally COVID‐relevant.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1718462090115957242

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ham Cheeks posted:

So I went to a 4-day work conference, in-person, small airless rooms, lots of people, and close contact with at least 1 person confirmed covid positive before they went to the conference. I trusted my respirator and guess what happened lol

only tup your respirator

good job :)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Panic Restaurant posted:

Love to live in this GameMaster Anthony’s birthday-rear end Pandemicene

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Platystemon posted:

This isn’t COVID‐related, but at the same time it’s totally COVID‐relevant.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1718462090115957242

[insert a series of giant growing ironicat memes with the runtime of a feature-length film here]

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
CO2 1600 in here with the windows cracked, all vents on, and oven on

you cold climate people, how the hell do you heat a home and ventilate it at the same time?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This paper seems worth linking given the topic of “is there a chance of a sterilizing vaccine?”

Respiratory mucosal immune memory to SARS-CoV-2 after infection and vaccination

quote:

Respiratory mucosal immunity induced by vaccination is vital for protection from coronavirus infection in animal models. In humans, the capacity of peripheral vaccination to generate sustained immunity in the lung mucosa, and how this is influenced by prior SARS-CoV-2 infection, is unknown. Here we show using bronchoalveolar lavage samples that donors with history of both infection and vaccination have more airway mucosal SARS-CoV-2 antibodies and memory B cells than those only vaccinated. Infection also induces populations of airway spike-specific memory CD4+ and CD8+ T cells that are not expanded by vaccination alone. Airway mucosal T cells induced by infection have a distinct hierarchy of antigen specificity compared to the periphery. Spike-specific T cells persist in the lung mucosa for 7 months after the last immunising event. Thus, peripheral vaccination alone does not appear to induce durable lung mucosal immunity against SARS-CoV-2, supporting an argument for the need for vaccines targeting the airways.

The thing is that we are in no rush to develop vaccines targeting the airways.

We are on the “fusion never” timeline.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

This paper seems worth linking given the topic of “is there a chance of a sterilizing vaccine?”

Respiratory mucosal immune memory to SARS-CoV-2 after infection and vaccination

The thing is that we are in no rush to develop vaccines targeting the airways.

We are on the “fusion never” timeline.

I'm not an immunologist, but do you want long-term t-cell activation like that? What's the over-under on that being "ultra good super immunity" vs "immune dysfunction and/or viral reservoirs driving persistent immune activation and inflammation"? Given that people can be infected and then re-infected in a matter of weeks, that doesn't seem to be an obvious slam dunk to me that there's a better form of immunity available.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

maxwellhill posted:

you cold climate people, how the hell do you heat a home and ventilate it at the same time?

Gas oven? Do you have a range hood with external exhaust?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
the exhaust sucks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tragic lockdown on puppers prevents Canada from paying down its immune debt with a mild endemic lyssavirus

OR

Rabies hitched a ride to Canada in dogs flown from Iran. Scientists caught the spread just in time

New review paper highlights importance of surveillance for new strains of viruses, bacteria

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Rolling Stone: Kiss Guitar Tech’s Widow Sues Band for Wrongful Death

Suit acts like preventing COVID matters, which is delightfully quaint, but the real thrust of the issue is they abandoned this guy to quarantine in a hotel room with COVID as he just got sicker and sicker and by the time they got somebody to check in on him it was too late.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

1.2 lol :ok:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

From above?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Ham Cheeks posted:

:hai:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:canada: (okay, Alberta) doing the old: with not of, while hospitalizations double in a month, as cases show exponential growth and hospitalizations currently 3 times as high as publicly stated. Anyways, I am sure :tif:
"Alberta doctors, nurses call on province for more transparency amid discrepancies in COVID-19 hospitalization data"

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-...-data-1.6620692 posted:

An internal Alberta Health Services document obtained by CTV News indicates that the number of patients hospitalized provincially with COVID-19 has surpassed 900, despite available public data revealing just a third of those numbers.

As of Friday, the province's respiratory virus dashboard showed 320 hospitalizations for SARS-CoV-2, indicating the data was up-to-date as of Oct. 21.

However, an internal document obtained by CTV News shows there were actually 898 COVID-19 patients province-wide as of Oct. 21, with an average of 912 COVID-19 patients in hospital over the previous seven days.

The internal document also shows among major medical centres in Calgary, Edmonton and Lethbridge, 273 patients ended up testing positive for COVID while in hospital for something else as of Oct. 26.

To have upwards of 900 hospitalizations for COVID-19 would mean that these types of hospitalizations have roughly doubled in about a month.
(..)
Alberta's COVID-19 data has not been publicly available for months because of changes made in how the provincial government reports its statistics.

Rather than tracking the number of people with COVID that are taking up hospital beds, the province now reports weekly COVID-19 admissions.

As of Friday, the dashboard showed 742 hospital admissions since Aug 27, which is defined by Alberta Health as ‘the start of respiratory virus season.'
(..)
‘STEEP INCREASE' IN POSITIVE CASES
Craig Jenne, a researcher with the University of Calgary's Biology, Immunology and Infectious Disease Department, says that with the data that is available, there has been a "pretty steep" increase in positive cases over the last couple of weeks.

"If we look at that, we're still pretty early in the respiratory virus season, we're not even out of October yet, and we're starting to see this exponential growth," he said.
(..)
Others, like Dr. Eddy Lang, the department head for Emergency Medicine in the Calgary Zone, say an increase in infections is also expected as more Albertans stay indoors due to colder weather.

"The problem is that the hospitals are operating at well over 100 per cent capacity," Lang said.

"We're operating at such a high level of occupancy that there's no place for patients to go, and when our emergency department is so full, that's what exerts the primary pressure on the wait times and prevents our paramedics from getting back on the road and doing the job that they were meant to do."
(..)
CTV News has reached out to both AHS and Alberta Health for comment in regards to the apparent discrepancy between Alberta's publicly available COVID-19 data and the numbers on the internal documents.

A statement sent on behalf of both AHS and Alberta Health confirmed that AHS' internal COVID-19 hospitalization data is different than what is posted on the Alberta government's respiratory virus dashboard(opens in a new tab).

"There are a few different ‘currently in hospital’ definitions that are used in the province for specific purposes," the statement reads.

"The two that are most commonly used are below:
  • Patients admitted due to COVID-19 - Includes all patients where COVID is the primary or contributing cause of hospitalization. This is useful for understanding the admission rate due to COVID versus incidental cases. This is often referred to as ‘in hospital due to COVID-19’ and provides an estimate of the burden of disease.
  • All patients that ever had COVID-19 - Includes all patients that have tested positive shortly before an admission or during a visit. This includes the time from their admission until their discharge. This number can include COVID-19 cases who were never admitted or treated for COVID-19 but happened to test positive for COVID-19 (incidental). This is useful for bed capacity planning because all patients affect how beds are utilized. This is often referred to as ‘in hospital with COVID-19."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Novavax crew: beware these hustling ladies.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Couple of news items concerning strokes in India:

"Post-Covid World: 72% Indians Have 1 or More Close Connections Who Suffered a Stroke in Last 3.5 Years"

https://www.news18.com/india/post-c...rs-8637991.html posted:

According to a survey, conducted by social media community platform LocalCircles, 72 percent Indians have one or more individuals in their close network who experienced heart or brain stroke or cancer acceleration in the last three-and-a-half years since Covid.

While the root cause of such conditions is yet to be established, over 20 percent more people had such cases in their close network in the last year itself.

The survey established that 15 percent of the respondents indicated that seven to 10 close connections have experienced several medical conditions related to brain or heart stroke or cancer acceleration since Covid. Only 28 percent said they did not know anyone with any severe medical condition.

The survey’s aim was to understand if instances of severe medical conditions are continuing to occur in close networks like family, friends, colleagues and neighbours.

The first question asked was about the number of people in close social networks (family, extended family, friends, neighbours, colleagues), who have had medical conditions like brain stroke, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer acceleration after March 2020.

It was found that 72 percent of respondents indicated that they have one or more individuals in their close social network who experienced medical conditions like brain stroke, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer acceleration in the last 3.5 years.

What is disturbing is the percentage of people in this category, which has risen from 51 percent as established by a similar survey conducted in October 2022
. Given that India has not had a major Covid wave after this time period [ed. I doubt this is true and I really hope it isn't, considering the next sentence], the rise is more concerning and may indicate that the events of 2020 and 2021 are the likely cause of this increase in the onset of severe medical conditions.

RISE IN HEART, BRAIN STROKES AFTER COVID
The Global Burden of Diseases (GBD) study shows that India bore most of the burden of stroke with 68.6 percent of incidence, 70.9 percent deaths and 77.7 percent disability adjusted life years (DALYs) lost. Another alarming finding of the stroke project is that 5.2 million, or 31 percent, strokes were witnessed in children under the age of 20.
(..)

"Heart attack among youth: Mansukh Mandaviya cautions severe Covid patients, warns against hard labour and strenuous exercise"

https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/ahmedabad/mansukh-mandaviya-heart-attacks-rise-covid-9005492/ posted:

Mansukh Mandaviya cited an ICMR study to warn against hard labour amid a surge in heart attacks among the youth recently.

Amid a surge in heart attacks among the youth in recent months, Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Mansukh Mandaviya advised those who had suffered from severe Covid-19 infections not to exert themselves too much while doing exercise and stay away from hard labour for some time.

Talking to the media on the sidelines of an event in his native district of Bhavnagar in Gujarat on Sunday, Mandaviya said that the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) had done a detailed study on the subject and advised that those who had recovered from severe Covid infections should not exert themselves. “The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has done a detailed study recently. That detailed study has recommended that those who had severe Covid should desist from extra labour; that they should stay away from continuous labour, laborious running, exercise, etc., for a specified short period, meaning a year or two, so that heart attacks can be prevented,” Mandaviya said.
(..)
Incidentally, more and more cases of people in their 20s and 30s dying due to heart attacks have been reported since late 2022 and many people are linking these deaths to Covid or its treatment.
(..)

Annoyingly I cannot find the report itself, but either way lol at the notion that a year or two is a short time. It should be noted that "severe COVID" is defined like this in India (though naturally he could be using it colloquially):

https://www.icmr.gov.in/pdf/covid/techdoc/COVID_Clinical_Management_19032023.pdf posted:

(..)
Any one of:
1.Respiratory rate >30/min, breathlessness
2. SpO < 90% on room air
(..)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Why Am I So Tired posted:

This deadly, disabling vascular disease is really disrupting my schedule!

it's quite annoying tbh

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Holy poo poo I got Novavax last wednesday and I've never felt more sick Saturday-Monday, what the hell. I thought I'd be over it after a couple days but I didn't even start to feel bad until Friday.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Fansy posted:

Gas oven? Do you have a range hood with external exhaust?

oh my god do not do this what the gently caress

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

maxwellhill posted:

I was investigating this too. Basically your options are:

A) Install a energy recovery ventilator (ERV) system into your whole house HVAC.
B) Crack windows/ run bathroom fans/ etc.... and just waste a certain amount warm/cold air.

The tradeoff in cost between A&B and the payoff time for an ERV depends on a lot of things, most importantly probably how long you plan to stay in the house and what your energy costs are.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I don't think they were saying 'heat your house using your oven' they were wondering if the CO2 levels being high was caused by a gas oven and insufficient ventilation in the kitchen.

Rescue Toaster has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Oct 30, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

poster wasn't suggesting heating the house via oven they were curious whether the oven might be the source of the additional CO2

ERV-posting: I have a small house that's sprayfoamed pretty tightly, and I've got soundproof inserts in our bedroom windows.

without the ERV on, the CO2 gets noxious in the bedroom pretty quickly. even with the ERV chugging, it hovers around 1000 with two people and two cats sleeping at night. the intakes for the ERV are not in the room with us, however.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

PerniciousKnid posted:

Holy poo poo I got Novavax last wednesday and I've never felt more sick Saturday-Monday, what the hell. I thought I'd be over it after a couple days but I didn't even start to feel bad until Friday.

I hate even suggesting this, but have you taken any tests? Could it be a case of getting infected in the process of getting vaccinated since society still hasn't figured out "maybe don't vaccinate people in cramped, poorly ventilated, unfiltered rooms where sick people congregate"?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

In a couple days expect to wake up in a cocoon, then your metamorphosis can begin.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

wasn't it over 2 million ?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

ERV-posting: I have a small house that's sprayfoamed pretty tightly, and I've got soundproof inserts in our bedroom windows.

I'd be very interested in what soundproofing you're using actually, although that's a little off topic.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

wasn't it over 2 million ?

I'm pretty sure we stopped counting for the most part in 2022 and the total official death toll leveled off at like 1.1 million or so, so this is just the official toll climbing slowly.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'd be very interested in what soundproofing you're using actually, although that's a little off topic.

We use Indow Window Inserts.

They were extremely effective when we lived in NYC given that we had like 14 inch deep windowsills in an old pre-war building.

Less so here in a stick built house with thinner walls because the air gap that they create in standard frames is smaller, but they still make a substantial difference.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

maxwellhill posted:

Do you have an HVAC system? When it's hot or cold enough to run the HVAC often the CO2 levels stayed under 1000 in my house, but they would spike if it wasn't needed to run the system. I recently got a new thermostat that runs the fan a minimum amount of time every hour that keeps the air fresh even when it isn't doing any heating/cooling.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I hate even suggesting this, but have you taken any tests? Could it be a case of getting infected in the process of getting vaccinated since society still hasn't figured out "maybe don't vaccinate people in cramped, poorly ventilated, unfiltered rooms where sick people congregate"?

I haven't had a fever, just the symptoms of one, same as other vaccinations, so I haven't tried.

If I did get infected I'm sure it's from my kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm not the OP, but the city of Chicago made a wonderful home noise reduction booklet intended for people who live near the Chicago airports. It covers all sorts of approaches.

This sort of thing immensely helps with noise and improves energy efficiency, but it does make it more difficult to manage air circulation. I live near a busy street and got heavy-duty storm windows from one of the recommended manufacturers. That was expensive, but totally worth it IMO.