Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Also some food for inspiration: the various islands in the Netherland's Zeeland or the Waddenzee.

Maybe Cadiz in Spain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Long Island New York? If you want the main city on the island that's probably going to be pretty rare, since you'd need some kind of reason for things to be on the less convenient mass. Hong Kong?

Port Aransas Texas is almost a pretty close fit. or probably some barrier island along the carolina coast.

Hong Kong's urban growth was heavily influenced by the geography (mountains) of the island, the barrier island map is pretty much flat.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 30, 2023

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Quays and canals and etc. aren't currently in CS2 hiding in a menu that I'm not seeing, right?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

death cob for cutie posted:

Quays and canals and etc. aren't currently in CS2 hiding in a menu that I'm not seeing, right?

The best I can find is raised roads that produce a wall instead of a pillar. Getting them to run around water is a bit tricky, but doable.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Port Aransas Texas is almost a pretty close fit. or probably some barrier island along the carolina coast.

Hong Kong's urban growth was heavily influenced by the geography (mountains) of the island, the barrier island map is pretty much flat.

Port Aransas seems similar to Galveston, which was another one I had in mind, but they both seem pretty.......un-dense, which works against what I want (maximum density).

You have to hack it with slightly raised roads: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17j642x/an_easy_way_to_make_quays/

You can get some really good results with it like: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17jq7aw/amsterdam_inspired_city_i_made_using_retaining/

but its a lot of manual work, and not an actual placeable seawall.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

oh gently caress that looks hot

I liked the look of building islands/canals in my cities but it could look a little hacky sometimes in CS1 - I especially hated how quays couldn't act as like, pedestrian/bike paths. But now that those are a default feature, and with how good this looks, I could ring my islands in pedestrian paths. Especially nice now that terraforming is free/unrestricted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh I probably missed this discussion but I didn't realise that the Dev Ui toggle let you just arbitarily drop props:

As well at the whole arbitrary ground surface paint zones.

I'm wondering if they just went 'yeah let's leave that in on purpose for all the bonsai people while not actually having to officially support it and make it bug-free'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 30, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

piratepilates posted:

Port Aransas seems similar to Galveston, which was another one I had in mind, but they both seem pretty.......un-dense, which works against what I want (maximum density).

Yea if your looking for density Port Aransas and Galvesont aren't it. Maybe Miami? Has some decently dense islands and peninsulas. Only other off the top of my head whose geography is similar to the barrier island map is Ocean City, slightly more dense than Port Aransas but not by much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Oh I probably missed this discussion but I didn't realise that the Dev Ui toggle let you just arbitarily drop props:

As well at the whole arbitrary ground surface paint zones.

I'm wondering if they just went 'yeah let's leave that in on purpose for all the bonsai people while not actually having to officially support it and make it bug-free'.

I assume it will probably see some modded interfaces for it if it doesn't come through DLC.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

piratepilates posted:

You have to hack it with slightly raised roads: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17j642x/an_easy_way_to_make_quays/

but its a lot of manual work, and not an actual placeable seawall.

Until a mod like Road Anarchy or similar comes out itss a giant PITA to put down, the game will often prevent you from placing such quay roads on a shore because of "water" and its a lot of pixel hunting to find where you can or can't place a raised road/quay that doesn't turn into a non-zoneable bridge.

Edit: That is to say, there are two "quay" roads. One is zoneable, the other is not and is basically just a bridge with a wall. The road can have trees/etc added, but the bridge version cannot. The zoneable version is the one that's a pain in the rear end to get working

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The way the game decides "continuous road" seems kind of ridiculous at times.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean... I guess.... technically you can...

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

The way the game decides "continuous road" seems kind of ridiculous at times.

I have one that goes from one end of the map to the other, then turns 90 degrees and goes to another side of the map. Really curious what the logic with this was

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

bagmonkey posted:

I have one that goes from one end of the map to the other, then turns 90 degrees and goes to another side of the map. Really curious what the logic with this was

Canadian Logic, look up Yonge Street

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nielsm posted:

First, they have the fundamental flaw that they're built around splines, instead of circle arcs

That's for reticulating purposes you rube

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

That's for reticulating purposes you rube

some people have no respect for tradition

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfLBzKdup0
:colbert:

What even was Simcity 5's music? I don't remember it at all.

It kinda reminds me of the Sims but more atmospheric/grand.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1tFM4hAoC6XmxjQP2PBwL-UGwal6JiQm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnCRPBdOGS0

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fishstick posted:

Until a mod like Road Anarchy or similar comes out

You can already disable the collision check in the TAB dev menu, it's one of the options under Simulation. Works pretty much the same as Anarchy when it started out as a standalone.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

oh gently caress that looks hot

I liked the look of building islands/canals in my cities but it could look a little hacky sometimes in CS1 - I especially hated how quays couldn't act as like, pedestrian/bike paths. But now that those are a default feature, and with how good this looks, I could ring my islands in pedestrian paths. Especially nice now that terraforming is free/unrestricted.

Found another one on reddit that's also pretty crazy: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17jz084/i_created_a_huge_harbor_with_some_roadtricks_and/

Even has a video supposedly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emG3PtCGQTo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wow Biffa has a video going through the dev menu stuff and got like a 20 FPS boost by turning off the hair on sims. Turning them off entirely more than doubles the FPS. Seems like the game should run fine once they fix whatever is up with how sims are being rendered.

Also there are different layers you can turn off separately so you can make them just floating eyeballs and teeth, or ghost clothes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Tangling myself into a pretzel over how I should be playing this game. I’m trying to play it as intended by leaving progression turned on, but so many things being behind certain city sizes means im making gimped cities and I have to retrofit parks and space for larger roads and such way later on. I tired a city with progression off and I get 61 gazillion dollars to start with, which feels a bit too cheaty.

Also, are sims much more reluctant to take public transport this time around? I wouldn’t say im the best at laying down bus lines, but im getting a pretty poor showing vs CS1 where I had much better luck.

Also also, I know how to disable radio ads, how do I disable radio news reports? The game radio music is actually really well done, I just don’t want it talking to me.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Wow Biffa has a video going through the dev menu stuff and got like a 20 FPS boost by turning off the hair on sims. Turning them off entirely more than doubles the FPS. Seems like the game should run fine once they fix whatever is up with how sims are being rendered.

Also there are different layers you can turn off separately so you can make them just floating eyeballs and teeth, or ghost clothes.

There was a reddit post I saw earlier that showed that even just turning off pedestrians entirely doubled the FPS: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17julc6/why_bigger_cities_and_lod_setting_are_having_such/

In the screenshots they linked you can't even see pedestrians before or after, yet they're having a huge performance impact.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Grand Fromage posted:

they should definitely be pulling teeth and hair then :haw:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

buglord posted:

Tangling myself into a pretzel over how I should be playing this game. I’m trying to play it as intended by leaving progression turned on, but so many things being behind certain city sizes means im making gimped cities and I have to retrofit parks and space for larger roads and such way later on. I tired a city with progression off and I get 61 gazillion dollars to start with, which feels a bit too cheaty.

For me, I did one long play of CS1 with progression and will do the same here. After that future cities are heavily modded and unlocked all/progression unlocked.

You can tamper your gazillions a tiny bit by buying a ton of land at the founding. I like doing this anyway because it tends to be more fun to have multiple small cities and then more organically sprawl them into each other to create density.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

buglord posted:

Also also, I know how to disable radio ads, how do I disable radio news reports? The game radio music is actually really well done, I just don’t want it talking to me.

Turning off ads also disables news reports.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

TorakFade posted:

they should definitely be pulling teeth and hair then :haw:

What a boring solution. They should instead integrate this with gameplay. Reward players who can maintain a healthy hair care industry while limiting Cims' access to dentistry.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

On my knees begging Mariina to let me toggle on/off warning icons. I very much want to know about fires. I'm fine knowing about things like crime scenes, waiting corpses, and labor shortages, those are useful to know about over time. I do not give a hot gay gently caress about someone's rent being high, and I actively want to tell people in air pollution to cope.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hearing that turning off cims has such a huge impact makes me hope they just add an option to replace them with cardboard cutouts. That's good enough to see something akin to movement from a distance.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nielsm posted:

Hearing that turning off cims has such a huge impact makes me hope they just add an option to replace them with cardboard cutouts. That's good enough to see something akin to movement from a distance.

those would be LODs and im amazed that i was actually right about the citizen models just not having any

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

piratepilates posted:

There was a reddit post I saw earlier that showed that even just turning off pedestrians entirely doubled the FPS: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17julc6/why_bigger_cities_and_lod_setting_are_having_such/

In the screenshots they linked you can't even see pedestrians before or after, yet they're having a huge performance impact.

Well this is kind of no brainer in how things are rendered, and also a big "eh". The City sim runs better with no people and cars? Well, yeah, but also lol.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Well this is kind of no brainer in how things are rendered, and also a big "eh". The City sim runs better with no people and cars? Well, yeah, but also lol.

In regular games that were made well and not rushed out the door, pedestrians that you can't see when you're zoomed out (with high LOD settings enabled) wouldn't be rendered at all and it wouldn't impact rendering performance. Same with things like teeth and hair in pedestrians when you're zoomed out, smart LOD in your renderer would make it so small details like that wouldn't be rendered and wouldn't impact performance.

If you do a bad job implementing LOD in your renderer, or don't create different LOD models for different zooms, then you get what happened to C:S2

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could literally replace pedestrians with coloured rectangles at far zoom levels.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

e: nm im not reading

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

piratepilates posted:

In regular games that were made well and not rushed out the door, pedestrians that you can't see when you're zoomed out (with high LOD settings enabled) wouldn't be rendered at all and it wouldn't impact rendering performance. Same with things like teeth and hair in pedestrians when you're zoomed out, smart LOD in your renderer would make it so small details like that wouldn't be rendered and wouldn't impact performance.

If you do a bad job implementing LOD in your renderer, or don't create different LOD models for different zooms, then you get what happened to C:S2

they do cull pedestrian details at a distance, they lose their hair and some other details if you're too far away but they should really be switching over to sprites or something with 1/100th of the detail instead of getting rid of maybe 10% of the poly count

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Are cargo harbors bugged? I never seem to get any cargo ships. I was thinking they require the harbor storage to be full but that's staying at the same low level. (I guess everything is getting exported out by road).

edit: And I did setup a route for the ship that goes to the edge of the SF map.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AceRimmer posted:

Are cargo harbors bugged? I never seem to get any cargo ships. I was thinking they require the harbor storage to be full but that's staying at the same low level. (I guess everything is getting exported out by road).

yes. i think that almost every system in the game is broken in some way at the moment

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

piratepilates posted:

why do pedestrians in my city builder need individually modeled high-poly teeth though?

the way they did pedestrian models in CSL1 was fine, yes it was limited and repetitive but they're ants. ants! it doesn't matter if senior citizen 01 looks the same as senior citizen 8675309.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I'd be fine with sprites or low poly stuff even close up, who cares about how good the little people look in a court building game. Make them simple so you can show tons

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

why do pedestrians in my city builder need individually modeled high-poly teeth though?

the way they did pedestrian models in CSL1 was fine, yes it was limited and repetitive but they're ants. ants! it doesn't matter if senior citizen 01 looks the same as senior citizen 8675309.

They don't, they used some third party tool to generate them, which created them with teeth.

On the other hand, when CO was asked to comment, their reply did include:

https://www.gamesradar.com/cities-s...e%20characters. posted:

Characters feature a lot of details that, while seemingly unnecessary now, will become relevant in the future of the project.

So uh, can't wait for the upcoming close-up teeth-based DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CS2 got weird when they released the Vore DLC.