Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nodosaur posted:

We should be allowed to criticize media of franchises we're fans of.

Honestly, the only thing that makes me an actual "miserable nerd" is other nerds who act like I'm somehow doing something wrong by being critical of things.

Saying a thing they don't becomes a "problem for the franchise as a whole" isn't criticism isn't someone being weirdly invested in the honor of their multimedia corporate toy commercial and they sound pretty miserable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Yo, they’re making Callismon real now too like Dominimon. Gonna be on the nightmare soldiers pendulum color.

It's such a good time to be a V-Tamer fan. I hope we get Regulumon and the Super Ultimates too. The full Arkadimon line getting into the DRB would be nice as well but they're still used relatively often, the rest just went ignored for so long, I had given up hope they'd ever appear again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Saying a thing they don't becomes a "problem for the franchise as a whole" isn't criticism isn't someone being weirdly invested in the honor of their multimedia corporate toy commercial and they sound pretty miserable to me.

Wanting an ongoing story to remain consistent has nothing to do with honor, you knob. Wanting them to keep consistent the basics of storytelling. This isn’t a decades old comic book crushing under the weight of its own continuity. It’s a series with only four prior installments. That’s manageable. I want them to respect the basics of their story, I don’t care about “honor” or whatever bullshit you’re ascribing me.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's such a good time to be a V-Tamer fan. I hope we get Regulumon and the Super Ultimates too. The full Arkadimon line getting into the DRB would be nice as well but they're still used relatively often, the rest just went ignored for so long, I had given up hope they'd ever appear again.

Are those the only missing digimons left from V-Tamer? I know they added Dominimon recently.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Marluxia posted:

Are those the only missing digimons left from V-Tamer? I know they added Dominimon recently.

There's a few others. Unless I'm forgetting someone, the V-Tamer Digimon that haven't been added to the DRB as of now are:
-Arkadimon Baby, Adult, Perfect, Ultimate and Super Ultimate (all of which have full profiles thanks to Hacker's Memory and would be very easy to add, especially odd since Child is in the DRB)
-Callismon (who will almost definitely get in now that it's appearing in the Digimon Pendulum Color)
-Demon Super Ultimate
-Hermmon, Panimon and Lykamon (which never got to appear in V-Tamer and only exist as unused designs for the manga, but still)
-HolyAngemon Priest Mode (by far the biggest missing one, it got a cameo in Adventure: and it's outright mentioned by HolyAngemon's DRB profile yet, it was never added)
-Metamormon (from the Frontier crossover)
-Parallelmon (from the 02 crossover, and also mentioned in the Adventure: crossover)
-Regulumon
-Ulforce V-dramon Future Mode (got a recent appearance in the Adventure: crossover)

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

There's also Petit Mamon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having read the manga for the first time recently I kind of wish anime Taichi was more like his V-Tamer counterpart as well

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

-Hermmon, Panimon and Lykamon (which never got to appear in V-Tamer and only exist as unused designs for the manga, but still)

Hey now, those three showed up in the background of one panel, they totally appeared in V-Tamers.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Omnicrom posted:

Hey now, those three showed up in the background of one panel, they totally appeared in V-Tamers.

yeah their story arc got cut (they were gonna be followups to the chapter with callismon) but they still showed up in an army shot in the background...

And yeah PetitMamon needs to be included too.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Marc of With the Will got to see the 02tB Dub early and wrote a lengthy write up about the film. Spoilers, of course.

https://withthewill.net/threads/dig...thoughts.30201/

Really hate that the closest theater to me showing this is over an hour away, but who knows when the blu-ray will be out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The stream today had a timeline of events in Adventure. It confirms that Lui met Ukkomon slightly after Digimon Adventure (movie), but more importantly, that the often-ignored 02 movie is canon, but funnier, it completely ignores Tri. No one wants to acknowledge that happened.

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1717530422564036742?t=3hzCkX5QHzaoyhavPC7tLg&s=19

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
hold on a second, did they make an error on the second slide, or did the kids beat Apocalymon again in DA:LEK?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Yeah, looks like they accidentally copy-pasted the second paragraph from the 1999 section. Meicoomon was technically Apocalymon but these slides ignore Tri's events.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Meicoomon was technically Apocalymon but these slides ignore Tri's events.

Wait, is that for real?

I never finished Tri

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, is that for real?

I never finished Tri

Nor you should, just stop at movie 3. But yes, Meicoomon is a shard of Apocalymon that obtained life on its own. That's why she's a corrupting influence on any Digimon that gets close to her.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think she was a normal digimon whose egg was infected by a shard of apocalymon rather than a shard that gained sentience

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Nor you should, just stop at movie 3. But yes, Meicoomon is a shard of Apocalymon that obtained life on its own. That's why she's a corrupting influence on any Digimon that gets close to her.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think she was a normal digimon whose egg was infected by a shard of apocalymon rather than a shard that gained sentience

wow that sounds like awful writing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I remember getting really mad about how Mei is somehow both a nothing character and also totally wasted.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's just a timeline of stuff that matters to the movie. Tri. is still part of their more involved timeline and acknowledged.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ukkomon profile:

quote:

Level - Child
Type - Ancient Fairy
Attribute - Free
Special Move
・Whirlpool Spin
・Liar Dream

An ancient phantom Digimon whose activity records remain in the ancient Digital World. Rumors suppose that Ukkomon can grant the wishes of others, which is why it is said that many other Digimon gathered around it, flourished, and formed villages. However, as records of Ukkomon were cut off with the catastrophic destruction of the ancient Digital World, this Digimon is thought to have been wiped out.

For its special move, Whirlpool Spin, Ukkomon spins its body like a top, then crashes into foes. Liar Dream is a technique in which it hijacks an enemy's consciousness after locking eyes with them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

girl dick energy posted:

I remember getting really mad about how Mei is somehow both a nothing character and also totally wasted.

I seem to recall the movies saying that Maicoomon being partnered with someone was so it would reign her in and keep her from being an apocalyptic threat. Boy howdy that plan turned out great now didn't it? Like, in fairness there was the outside context of a different villain trying to use Maicoomon as a weapon, but it's extremely notable how incredibly easy it was to do that!

I continue to remain very confused at what the production was intending to do with Meiko (and quite a lot of other things in Tri frankly), because I'm enough of an optimist to believe what we got on screen could not have been the intended minute 1 outcome for the character. I just can't believe someone would intentionally introduce a character who was that useless and bad without any seeming malice. It's baffling.

Hoping to actually see 02 The Beginning soon. The early spoilers make it sound very dumb, but in a way that might vibe with Digimon in the way the previous 7 movies didn't? Here's hoping.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

I can think of at least three Original The Character crests off the top of my head that fit Meiko's role in the plot and would've given her at least a modicum of personality,

Crest of Trust/Faith! Sees the best in everyone and has a hard time accepting that anyone is beyond saving. This causes conflict in the plot because she doesn't internalize that someone might want to trick her or use Meicoomon's powers for evil.

Crest of Charity! Gives too much of herself to other people, gets herself in trouble because she doesn't know how to say no if someone's in need. Not really that distinct from Kindness, but Tri didn't care about 02 anyways.

Crest of Unity! Believes that any problem can be solved by people working together. Bad at accepting that some people are selfish and nothing can change that. Different from Friendship because it extends to all people, different from Love because it's more about the what than the who.

There's probably other, actually good ideas. I just wanted to give some examples of how easy it would have been to give her something, anything, to make this 'everygirl' character actually compelling.
Found it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFO4BYtiQV8

It's definitely gonna be a manga, right?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Specifically mentioning the card game makes me wonder if we’ll be seeing some sort of online client with a story to it. Wouldn’t put it past Bandai to just put out another manga (considering the contest they held earlier this year) but we also know that the Dragon Ball game is getting a refresh with a digital client as well. Also putting “metaverse” in the teaser screams some sort of online venture.

Whether or not that’s true remains to be seen of course but the scrambled text in the YouTube visual screen cap seems to say “Digimon Liberation/Liberator” which could fit if they’re going a digital card game route.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 30, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Seiyal posted:

Specifically mentioning the card game makes me wonder if we’ll be seeing some sort of online client with a story to it. Wouldn’t put it past Bandai to just put out another manga (considering the contest they held earlier this year) but we also know that the Dragon Ball game is getting a refresh with a digital client as well. Also putting “metaverse” in the teaser screams some sort of online venture.

Whether or not that’s true remains to be seen of course but the scrambled text in the YouTube visual screen cap seems to say “Digimon Liberation/Liberator” which could fit if they’re going a digital card game route.

Yeah, absolutely. I'm mostly just trying to avoid getting my hopes up in case it winds up being nothing. Given the way Digimon as a franchise works, the splash screens they had could be referring to anything.

I think, considering this is an announcement for an announcement, it's probably not just a manga. The problem is it could just be a manga, and that would be really disappointing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of manga, has there been any word as to when Dreamers is coming back (it's apparently just on hiatus currently)?

Also you guys weren't kidding about D-Cyber, it's super rushed, we barely have any time to get to know the characters, and the only female character only shows up in the penultimate chapter as a damsel in distress and gets maybe one or two lines total.

V-Tamer was good though and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing an anime version of it (also it has probably the best version of Tai), Next wasn't bad but kind of recycles a few plot points from Tamer

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Larryb posted:

Speaking of manga, has there been any word as to when Dreamers is coming back (it's apparently just on hiatus currently)?

Also you guys weren't kidding about D-Cyber, it's super rushed, we barely have any time to get to know the characters, and the only female character only shows up in the penultimate chapter as a damsel in distress and gets maybe one or two lines total.

V-Tamer was good though and I honestly wouldn't mind seeing an anime version of it (also it has probably the best version of Tai), Next wasn't bad but kind of recycles a few plot points from Tamer

Did you read the Xros Wars manga? It's worth it IMO

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Golux posted:

Did you read the Xros Wars manga? It's worth it IMO

I’m getting to that next, I just wanted to do the original stuff first

Also apparently someone’s been translating the Appmon manga as of late (last I checked we’re 9 chapters in currently). Is it any different than the anime out of curiosity?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I haven't found the appmon manga yet but I think it's at least somewhat different.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Can’t wait to start seeing 3-color Agumon/Gabumon and their evos so they can splash into even more decks. :sweatdrop:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Red/Blue/Black/Purple/White Omegamon is on the horizon!

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 30, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
We got official art for Callismon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Also apparently someone’s been translating the Appmon manga as of late (last I checked we’re 9 chapters in currently). Is it any different than the anime out of curiosity?

It's essentially the same thing as Xros Wars, it takes the same characters and setting and writes a different story around them. I haven't read much of it yet, but I really should start now that we're getting translations.

It should be noted that this isn't just Magnamon X again. This is Magnamon X's Gold Digizoid mode which we haven't ever seen before. The DRB profile said it existed, but it took until now to get a proper view of it, and it does look cool for an overdesigned X-Antibody

thetoughestbean posted:

We got official art for Callismon

It's such a good time to be a V-Tamer fan. Now give me HolyAngemon Priest Mode.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

It should be noted that this isn't just Magnamon X again. This is Magnamon X's Gold Digizoid mode which we haven't ever seen before. The DRB profile said it existed, but it took until now to get a proper view of it, and it does look cool for an overdesigned X-Antibody

Here's some concept art for it. It looks decent, all things considered.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Here's some concept art for it. It looks decent, all things considered.
You can't fool me, that's just the Gundam Phenex!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
something about carcinization but it's wargreymons all the way down

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

girl dick energy posted:

You can't fool me, that's just the Gundam Phenex!

At least three other people I know online made that exact comparison.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think it looks worse without the blue skin underneath the armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It is 2015, I am watching a movie about a chosen child who didn’t understand their digimon.

It is 2020. I am watching a movie about a Chosen Child who didn’t understand their Digimon.

It is 2023…