Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zarin posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from a spray bottle for putting apple juice/acv/etc. on during the cook.

I can't see any reason why this sprayer wouldn't be food-safe, especially if the liquid is in the tank for less than 24 hours and cleaned between uses:
https://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-190612-gal-Manual-Sprayer/dp/B09TB9TJSL

Anything I should be looking out for here?

When you say upgrade I guess my question is why?
A plastic spray bottle is dishwasher safe and a fraction of the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from a spray bottle for putting apple juice/acv/etc. on during the cook.

I can't see any reason why this sprayer wouldn't be food-safe, especially if the liquid is in the tank for less than 24 hours and cleaned between uses:

This is pretty much what they use in my dads USDA plant :shrug:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

HootTheOwl posted:

When you say upgrade I guess my question is why?
A plastic spray bottle is dishwasher safe and a fraction of the price.

Mostly because the last few times the spray bottle action over the course of the day was aggravating my wrists.

That, and I'm expecting to start doing even larger cooks soon.

For what it's worth, given the narrow opening of the nice glass spray bottle I have, I wouldn't trust a dishwasher to clean it properly anyway; those end up hand-washed.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Looking for some reassurance that I won't poison my family if I combine sous vide and my smoker. If I sous vide some pork chops up to 146 for 3 hours-ish, chill them with an ice bath/refrigerator, take them out, dry them, season them, toss them on the smoker at 225 until they reach 120 or so, then sear them, will I be ok?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

cerebral posted:

Looking for some reassurance that I won't poison my family if I combine sous vide and my smoker. If I sous vide some pork chops up to 146 for 3 hours-ish, chill them with an ice bath/refrigerator, take them out, dry them, season them, toss them on the smoker at 225 until they reach 120 or so, then sear them, will I be ok?
That 225 until 120 step is only dicey because your going to be spending an hour plus of time in the danger zone

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Why do both steps? I'd use the smoker for a reverse sear and not bother with the sv honestly. Especially for a cut like chops/steak.

Smoke to 145, then sear as desired.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agreed. I think you're overcomplicating it for little gain.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zarin posted:

As long as you don’t get the one that I filled with DEET and then returned because it kept clogging

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I have one of those dead-simple masterbuilt small electric smokers and it says to only use wood chips and not pellets but doesn’t explain what the risk is. I have a big bag of pellets that I stupidly bought before I read the manual and I just ran out of chips.

Is there some way to safely/effectively use pellets or is just a bad idea all around?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Farten Barfen posted:

I have one of those dead-simple masterbuilt small electric smokers and it says to only use wood chips and not pellets but doesn’t explain what the risk is. I have a big bag of pellets that I stupidly bought before I read the manual and I just ran out of chips.

Is there some way to safely/effectively use pellets or is just a bad idea all around?

Don’t use the tray at all and instead get a smoke tube or maze on Amazon.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bird with big dick posted:

As long as you don’t get the one that I filled with DEET and then returned because it kept clogging

Joke's on you, it kept clogging because I used it to spray BBQ sauce and then returned it

Seriously though, I would probably look for something intended for food and maybe go a little smaller. Maybe find a restaurant supply store that carries something like this? Personally I would definitely avoid anything with brass in the nozzle or pump assembly (but then I'm paranoid about lead) and make sure any gaskets get re-greased with something food safe.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Kaddish posted:

Don’t use the tray at all and instead get a smoke tube or maze on Amazon.

This! Also you need to buy a cheap propane torch,(not a lighter) to light them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Effort-post incoming, brace yourselves.

After my last post, where I had planned to bring my vertical smoker to my parents for my belated birthday and leave it there before replacing it with its successor, a couple of events have transpired:
a) I brought the smoker back home because "hell, you never know when you might need a vertical smoker"
b) My new smoker has presented me with an entirely different set of issues in a "residential area smoking while flying under the radar"-situation

Here's the new smoker I grabbed. I've wanted to go back to an offset-stickburner for about 8 years, so after a couple of weeks of weighing my options as an unwashed Eurogoon, I pulled the trigger on a model with 3mm of cold-rolled steel (high-quallity models with quarter-inch steel start at around 2000 USD over here, the market for offset-stickburners is being saturated with cheap-rear end smokers at around 1mm/0.03" thickness).

The overall usable grate-space is higher than with my vertical smoker, but due to the difference in temperature zones, the main-grate-space is quite a bit lower.
The three levels of grates do give me a bit of an option to kinda "assembly-line" things like ribs, or throw some sausages on the bottom grate for the slow-burn-flavor.

I was initially very happy that I could now fire up my energy-dense coconut-shell-briquettes inside the firebox

I quickly realised the main problem with this new smoker in combination with my "energy-dense-fuel"-strategy: The majority of the heat was getting radiated off and pretty much just heating up my firebox to ungodly temperatures instead of going to the benefit of the actual cooking chamber.
(in case you're saying "well duh, you're operating an offset-stickburner without sticks, what where you expecting", then yes, you are absolutely correct, and I could have seen this coming, but - again - I unfortunately cannot burn actual wood on account of being in a highrise residential area)

The temperature-curve also illustrates one of my problems very well, barely over 105°C/225F on the main grate:

Not deterred by the issues, I planned a "maiden-smoke" for some guests, and threw on 6lbs of coarse sausages, 5lbs of beef, and 4lbs of Leberkäs (bavarian-style meat loaf)

You can see my inexperience/mismanagement of the whole assembly-line-strategy for the sausages here

I compensated the temperature issue with a shitton of lump coal (that threatened to ignite the drywall on my balcony, see my countermeasures below), and the guests were extremely happy with their servings:

I even managed to employ my guests to harvest my chili plants after they were in a food-coma and happy enough to fulfill my wishes

So all was well for the maiden-voyage, but the problem remained: energy-dense fuel was getting wasted in my firebox, the heat-radiation was putting the hollow drywall on my balcony at risk, and I couldn't hold temp to save my life.
To combat these issues, I attempted a two-pronged approach: a) insulate the firebox b) use "reasonably" smoke-less fuel that actually burns instead of just radiating heat

My plan for a) was fireclay-plates (bonus heat-resistant tarp behind the firebox to keep my windowsill from melting)

My plan for b) was extremely expensive japanese-style lump coal that ends up radiating a lot of heat, but yields a lot of fire/airflow as it gets to temp

Turns out I invited a new problem because the fireclay-plates I grabbed fit like absolute rear end inside the firebox, so the most efficient course of action was to cut them down to size.
I'm a very DIY-kind-of-guy, but I underestimated the effort to cut fireclay-plates, so I bought babby's-first-anglegrinder

Close e-loving-nough:

I'm sorry for triggering some OCD, but here's the result of my insulation-effort:

So here goes my first attempt to fire up the smoker after all of my comical DIY-efforts with some sexy-rear end lump coal:

tl;dr: drywall no longer at risk of catching fire, temps are in a range where I need them (although keeping them constant is going to be an entirely new challenge)

Now pray for me to not get an HOA-tier complaint for having a blatant-rear end chimney-pipe visible from almost everywhere in the residential area.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
On the one hand, I may have overshot the target just a wee bit, but on the other hand, I may currently have the most efficiently-insulated firebox of any offset-stickburner in the EU.
(let's not talk about insulating your firebox defeating the entire purpose of habing an offset-stickburner)

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

First time making short ribs. Smoked around 250 til about 160 internal (3ish hours) and then covered and basted them in drippings, a can of Guinness, bit of red wine, some beef stock, and veggies (carrots and onions). Took out at 205 internal. Using leftovers for some chili tomorrow!

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Shorts ribs have become chili. Tomorrow they become chili dogs!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
gently caress yeah frito pie is the best way to chili. Good job.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

JSmithOTI posted:

That is some delicious lookin bean stew.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Thank you!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

JSmithOTI posted:

Hell yeah man

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Making short ribs into chili is a crime.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

no, it isn't.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
For five dollars more you could have had chili and short ribs

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

What about short ribs into chili and then into chili dogs?

I've loved each version and have no regrets

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

At least you're not a Texan whining about the beans in the chili I guess. He is using leftover short ribs.

JSmithOTI posted:

Man that looks good.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Hell yeah it was delicious! Air fryer is a good way to heat the dogs and toast the buns, too

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

JSmithOTI posted:

Hell yeah it was delicious! Air fryer is a good way to heat the dogs and toast the buns, too

I boil them outa habit. My dog likes the hotdog water as a rare treat.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

JSmithOTI posted:

That looks insanely good. Now I want to make chili cheese dogs. Might not get the smoker out for it, but I'm sure I can get my hands on some short ribs.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Had my first big cook on my new toy this weekend. That's a rack of spare ribs and a turkey breast taking a Franklin's-style butter bath.

So much less fuss than my kettle, even with an SnS (which I'm keeping because it still owns). Had guests over and besides occasionally temping the meat I completely ignored the smoker.

Strong words from the famed beef criminal.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Made two pork butts for Halloween. It was one of those smokes that goes two hours faster than expected, and turns out perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krskoir5fYo

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I like that bigass front tray.. my pitboss doesn't have that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Discussion Quorum posted:

Had my first big cook on my new toy this weekend. That's a rack of spare ribs and a turkey breast taking a Franklin's-style butter bath.

So much less fuss than my kettle, even with an SnS (which I'm keeping because it still owns). Had guests over and besides occasionally temping the meat I completely ignored the smoker.

Strong words from the famed beef criminal.

I prefer beef outlaw.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

tater_salad posted:

I like that bigass front tray.. my pitboss doesn't have that.

Coming from a kettle where all I had was a little folding table the size of my new side tray, it's such a game changer that I forget I have it.

Literally, as in I end up holding all of my stuff and being clumsy as hell because I forget I can just put it all down. It folds down out of the way, too, which is nice.

My only complaint so far is that the air temp probe reads almost 70 degrees cool out of the box. It's at least consistent, so with a good grate probe, you can still hold your target temp. Apparently, a bad probe out of the box isn't super uncommon, so if it continues, it looks like Pit Boss usually just sends a new one.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Has anyone smoked a whole turkey recently? Do you feel spatchcock is necessary? What about brining?

I kind of feel if I was going to spatchcock it I'd just go all the way and cut it into two halves, which would be way easier to brine if I was going to do that, too.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

Has anyone smoked a whole turkey recently? Do you feel spatchcock is necessary? What about brining?

I kind of feel if I was going to spatchcock it I'd just go all the way and cut it into two halves, which would be way easier to brine if I was going to do that, too.

I will never go back to whole bird cooking - spatchcock is the best smoked turkey(and chicken) I've made and possibly eaten. Cutting it in half would create the same effect(cooks faster and less moisture lost). You could even divide it further into drums, breasts, wings, and thighs.

I also recommend dry brine and a wet rub.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah I pretty much just go by Meathead’s guide and spatchcock. My best results came with dry brining and wet rub. People like it. I’m doing one next week for an early thanksgiving.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah I pretty much just go by Meathead’s guide and spatchcock. My best results came with dry brining and wet rub. People like it. I’m doing one next week for an early thanksgiving.

umm that's a lot of reading htere..
I'm doing a spatchcock tomorrow as a trial run for turkey day.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

speaking of Meathead

how safe/unsafe does this bacon look? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I. M. Gei posted:

speaking of Meathead

how safe/unsafe does this bacon look? :ohdear:

Looks pretty cooked to my colorblind rear end, what did the probe say?
Also isn't bacon so full of salt it basically can be eaten raw