Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is kind of a niche question. I am working on the Sororitas Combat Patrol, and I didn't finish it originally because I'm not really taken but the non-Sisters units. I am converting the Penitent Engine to remove the weird tortured dude and make it something like a Sisters dreadnought with someone wired in, but I don't know what to do a bout the arco-flagellants. Maybe make them some sort of even-crazier version of Repentia? Because the Combat Patrol has both units, I'm trying to come up with something that will be clear on the table but makes them seem more like a Sisters unit.

If I ever get beyond the main units to add Crusaders I'll probably convert some either from Sisters of Silence or possibly Stormcast. Those look beefy enough to be distinct and not confused with the Sacresants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Ashcans posted:

This is kind of a niche question. I am working on the Sororitas Combat Patrol, and I didn't finish it originally because I'm not really taken but the non-Sisters units. I am converting the Penitent Engine to remove the weird tortured dude and make it something like a Sisters dreadnought with someone wired in, but I don't know what to do a bout the arco-flagellants. Maybe make them some sort of even-crazier version of Repentia? Because the Combat Patrol has both units, I'm trying to come up with something that will be clear on the table but makes them seem more like a Sisters unit.

If I ever get beyond the main units to add Crusaders I'll probably convert some either from Sisters of Silence or possibly Stormcast. Those look beefy enough to be distinct and not confused with the Sacresants.

For arco flagellants maybe combine repentia with flagellant bits? They’re old warhammer fantasy minis that used to fit on 20mm squares so their arms might be tiny on modern sisters though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished a BSF Kroot tracker after some idleness. Second one I've painted so far and this one is also a gift to a friend and their Kroot Kill Team.
Sadly no 'fancy' lightbox pictures because the hard drive with all my photos are dead atm.

I'm a bit annoyed that the Stormshield ended up a bit too glossy, should've tinned it a bit more I think.

Although half the holdup was me looking for the material for a the base. Turns out these days mosquito nets are more nylon cloth than plastic mesh. But I persevered and found what I wanted, and the results were pretty good in the end for being so simple.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Why did 40K Imperium stop painting all of their weapons red? Did someone look at them and think "We need to make this look a lot more boring"?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
they based with green so it contrasted well, and it was still striking with the color separations they used for packaging and white dwarf

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

Why did 40K Imperium stop painting all of their weapons red? Did someone look at them and think "We need to make this look a lot more boring"?

u control the paints u put on ur minis

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

The STCs for red weapon housings were lost when the Forgeworld of Cladicus VII fell to Hive Fleet Behemoth, now we're all stuck with other colors until some brave soul can find another copy.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

u control the paints u put on ur minis

Yes, but I'm boring and unimaginative. Even though I don't like the new Cadian color scheme for guards, the best I can come up with in one of those painting templates is:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Meanwhile I can't imagine lasguns being anything than in military green.
Bolters is poo poo the same, but to me lasguns should just be green. Or at least Cadian pattern lasguns.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Green lasguns are fine, but I just liked the idea of a more unified look for weapons across the empire.

And red goes so much better with a chainsword or anything bolt.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

Yes, but I'm boring and unimaginative. Even though I don't like the new Cadian color scheme for guards, the best I can come up with in one of those painting templates is:

I whipped up something in IMPCat

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/30/a-new-necron-overlord-phases-into-reality/

New Necron Overlord model revealed.

quote:

Now, we know what you’re thinking – “Warhammer Community, aren’t those swirls of dematerialising matter remarkably similar to an as-yet unsolved Rumour Engine image from nearly two years ago?” – and as usual you’re spot on.

:v:

And a little rules, as a treat.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Lostconfused posted:

Dunno; they issued yellow ones to my Blood Angels.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

:hellyeah: that owns

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I wish he had the ability to telefrag people

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AnEdgelord posted:

I wish he had the ability to telefrag people

*Orikan from off-screen* MONSTER KILL

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

That lasgun looks so good, I really do like darker tones even if they're not as eye-catching.

I'll need to mess around with this app a bit, I think I prefer lighter uniform and darker armor contrast.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Expecting a lot more Necrons soon given every Lychguard box was out of stock as soon as 10th hit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Two new Necrons is 100% more models than I expected from "at least one new model with each codex" so I'm cautiously optimistic for future codex releases.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
how is it that generic overlords get a cool rear end magic trick model while IMHOTEP just looks like a nerd

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

This looks sick, but I would go with a darker shade on the boots, either dark brown or black.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
What a great time to return to the hobby as a Necron player :unsmith:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

^burtle posted:

Expecting a lot more Necrons soon given every Lychguard box was out of stock as soon as 10th hit.

Crossing my fingers hard that we can finally banish the green rods from the range with a new lokhust destroyer kit

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

I feel maybe I'm alone here, but I don't like this model.

The pose is cool, but I hate the digital swirl poo poo. I know they're trying to make it look fluid and dynamic, but it just... doesn't work for me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

3 Action Economist posted:

I feel maybe I'm alone here, but I don't like this model.

The pose is cool, but I hate the digital swirl poo poo. I know they're trying to make it look fluid and dynamic, but it just... doesn't work for me.

Cool.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

ok so maybe I *don't* want to sell my Necrons after all...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

impcat is kind of cheating, those presets and automated color pickers do so much work.

Almost anything looks good if you pick natural light shades.

Anyway, main point, red lasguns still good. The new guard models are a lot more detailed and you can make them look really nice with extra work. Just need to pick the right shades of green and brown.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

That chocolate bar looks hosed up.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

3 Action Economist posted:

This is a good exception to the typical GW models with swirly bullshit on. The Necron dude looks a lot less fragile (and more practical) than other designs, plus the partially phased-out figure is a neat effect.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It looks better from other angles.

where the lower legs are more clear and you can see the separation.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya that's a cool as hell sculpt. Great 'Eavy Metal paintjob too. The haters are whack.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

That lasgun looks so good, I really do like darker tones even if they're not as eye-catching.

I'll need to mess around with this app a bit, I think I prefer lighter uniform and darker armor contrast.

Ashcans posted:

This looks sick, but I would go with a darker shade on the boots, either dark brown or black.

Lostconfused posted:

impcat is kind of cheating, those presets and automated color pickers do so much work.

Almost anything looks good if you pick natural light shades.

Anyway, main point, red lasguns still good. The new guard models are a lot more detailed and you can make them look really nice with extra work. Just need to pick the right shades of green and brown.

It's certainly a lot faster than painting a test model. I'll try not to flood the tread with screenshots but it's fun to play around with.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
That Necron looks cool, but it's too much of a diorama for me. I prefer models that are a bit more static, as I think the tabletop looks a bit silly when everyone looks like a freeze frame.

Or maybe I'm just salty that I'll never have the painting skill to make that effect look good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

it begins

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
That new Necron mini rules so hard.

I'm really excited to see what they do with the rumored Orikan update

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

AnEdgelord posted:

Crossing my fingers hard that we can finally banish the green rods from the range with a new lokhust destroyer kit

:mad:

Some year when I get done with my Tyranids I want to make a Necron army that uses those green rods everywhere. I think they look really distinct and cool on the table.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Wait, why do people dislike the green rods?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They look bad

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bad rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

https://warhammer.com/
New shop is up, I'm in queue just to check it out but apparently FW has been rolled into the main site now.