Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, the main reason they have a pretty good grasp so quickly is that there's so little to grasp.

Voyager is really kind of amazing in the sense that the characters become less developed as the show goes on, with Janeway in particular becoming so scattershot in her writing that her defining character trait becomes "uh, kind of crazy and erratic, I guess?" She's always fun at least, and Kate Mulgrew is always good. Kim also starts as a flavorless ball of nothing before somehow becoming even less, and Chakotay devolves from a bunch of racist stereotypes into a nondescript background character which is at least an improvement.

Honestly, Chakotay is the saddest of the bunch because he gets maybe like 4-5 legitimately good character moments through the whole series and you can see a hint of him becoming a good character. His relationship with Janeway is also really nice and underutilized.

edit- The Doctor and Seven get legitimate character development, though. And Tuvok remains in a steady state of being pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Paradoxish posted:

Honestly, Chakotay is the saddest of the bunch because he gets maybe like 4-5 legitimately good character moments through the whole series and you can see a hint of him becoming a good character. His relationship with Janeway is also really nice and underutilized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eax1l0WvqfA

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Paradoxish posted:

Chakotay devolves from a bunch of racist stereotypes into a nondescript background character which is at least an improvement.

My jaw dropped at some of the language Tom Paris was using when talking to Chakotay during Caretaker. "Can't you turn into a bird or something?" Yowzas.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Worst voyager is yet to come in season 3

also season 6

arguably 7 as well

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought Voyager S3 was the best of Voyager 1.0 before it kind if got retooled into the Janeway and Seven show

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

If you go back to very early Voyager, it seems to me like Beltran is emoting "I do not like or trust any of you Starfleet people but have no better options" in the background. Then you can watch him slowly give up over time into generic Starfleet XO as the script gives him nothing to work with.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I like the Odyssey: the remodel and re-detail they did before using it in Picard matured the design and sorted out some of the old issues with it (various little things, like they flared the end of the tapering nacelles slightly to reduce the foreshortening effect the taper was prone to cause) and the greyer hull they used in the show version look nicer than the starker white and black hull they use in STO.

The Odyssey remodel is better but I've always been partial to the Verity variant, which is much closer to the original fan submission from the contest that resulted in the Odyssey getting made in the first place. I never liked the triangular forward hull aesthetic or super-stretched nacelles, so Cryptic's version was always a step in the wrong direction.

Now that's a space whale I'd plant the flag on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the Verity's pretty great. One of the nice things that these angles don't really show is that the Odysseys have a secondary hull that's very much its own distinct physical object, unlike the Sovereign or Intrepid, and that's something I really missed. It's a hull and a saucer connected with a neck. (Albeit a very divisive neck.)

While I don't really like as an Enterprise per se, I also love the design of the Sojourner Odyssey variant, it's applying a lot of the Galaxy proportions to the Odyssey and just making it broad and the whaliest whale to have ever whaled.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 30, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote/edit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

The Odyssey remodel is better but I've always been partial to the Verity variant, which is much closer to the original fan submission from the contest that resulted in the Odyssey getting made in the first place. I never liked the triangular forward hull aesthetic or super-stretched nacelles, so Cryptic's version was always a step in the wrong direction.

Now that's a space whale I'd plant the flag on.

It looks like that secondary hull is a flat launching surface for smaller craft.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

It looks like that secondary hull is a flat launching surface for smaller craft.

Not really (and that spinal red banner is actually pretty common on starfleet ships) but it does actually launch a smaller craft at the very end, that's a docking port where it poops out a support ship, a super-runabout that can run its own independent missions.

https://twitter.com/_Pundus_/status/1709199936565522455

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 30, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, a spinal red double line is on what, the TMP Connie Refit? Or is it just the A?

Either way it also poops a smaller ship out of its butt. THANK YOU STARFLEET

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

Yeah, a spinal red double line is on what, the TMP Connie Refit? Or is it just the A?

Well all starfleet ships have a double line red banner somewhere, often on the nacelles, but I think specifically a spinal double red line was on the E and Voyager. The D had a single red line down its spine.

Honestly, it makes sense to have a mid-size deployable support ship, there's a lot of times in TNG where they're doing something that feels like they're just holding up this ship of a thousand people but it's too big for a runabout mission.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 30, 2023

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Thinking about all the times Keiko trolls O'Brien by making him eat atrocious food, you'd think he could walk 5 steps and replicate himself whatever he wants but she is simply too powerful for him to stand against.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

Thinking about all the times Keiko trolls O'Brien by making him eat atrocious food, you'd think he could walk 5 steps and replicate himself whatever he wants but she is simply too powerful for him to stand against.

Replicators murdered the family dinner.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I mean the post you're quoting is evidence that they didn't?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the Verity's pretty great. One of the nice things that these angles don't really show is that the Odysseys have a secondary hull that's very much its own distinct physical object, unlike the Sovereign or Intrepid, and that's something I really missed. It's a hull and a saucer connected with a neck. (Albeit a very divisive neck.)

While I don't really like as an Enterprise per se, I also love the design of the Sojourner Odyssey variant, it's applying a lot of the Galaxy proportions to the Odyssey and just making it broad and the whaliest whale to have ever whaled.

Forgot about the Sojourner, that one's pretty great too! I think Sojourner hull with Verity nacelles and TNG detailing was my main endgame cruiser for a while, actually.

MikeJF posted:

Well all starfleet ships have a double line red banner somewhere, often on the nacelles, but I think specifically a spinal double red line was on the E and Voyager. The D had a single red line down its spine.

The D's double banner livery was on the ventral secondary hull, which obviously made it difficult to see from most shooting angles, but it was on the model:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 30, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ah, yeah, I forgot about that one: it also has more obvious ones on top of the nacelles.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

MikeJF posted:

When Miles is fondly remembering home cooked dinners that his mother made him back in the day and Keiko is like "she touched raw meat with her hands!?!" Surely even with sonic showers we still have hand washing technology in the future.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

about to see a whole lot of Galaxys get blown up, just getting to the end of S6E5 of DS9

good poo poo

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Foxfire_ posted:

If you go back to very early Voyager, it seems to me like Beltran is emoting "I do not like or trust any of you Starfleet people but have no better options" in the background. Then you can watch him slowly give up over time into generic Starfleet XO as the script gives him nothing to work with.

The scene where he decks the Maquis dude that's acting up is low key pretty great and does a lot to establish Chakotay as someone who understands that he's straddling two worlds and needs to make it work.

...and there probably aren't even three scenes in total like that throughout the entire series because the writers just utterly gave up on him. Although, I guess it's kind of a mercy killing given the alternative.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Feldegast42 posted:

The main appeal of Voyager nowadays is that it's comfort food trek
It's a show that never becomes more than the sum of it's parts, but said parts themselves range from fine to occasionally great.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh drat, wasn't expecting Ziyal to bite it :(

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

akoocheemoya

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

Welcome to "Gul Dukat's Super Slide Into Oblivion". The ride never ends.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Aces High posted:

Saved them the trouble of finding a fourth actress to play her.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Paradoxish posted:

The scene where he decks the Maquis dude that's acting up is low key pretty great and does a lot to establish Chakotay as someone who understands that he's straddling two worlds and needs to make it work.

...and there probably aren't even three scenes in total like that throughout the entire series because the writers just utterly gave up on him. Although, I guess it's kind of a mercy killing given the alternative.

every Voyager character basically has two "things", Chakotay's were "Maquis leader" and "kinda Mayan", and you could tell that the writers got sick of both ideas really early on

even in the Seska episodes in season 3, Chakotay was mostly just there to frown and feel betrayed rather than have any active role in the plot

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like how by season 6, sometimes Chakotay doesn’t even have any lines.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s bizarre how he’s almost written out of the show at the end, until they throw him into that weird ‘relationship’ with Seven out of nowhere

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

My jaw dropped at some of the language Tom Paris was using when talking to Chakotay during Caretaker. "Can't you turn into a bird or something?" Yowzas.

Starfleet Intelligence discovered that if you ask a Changeling if they can turn into a bird, they're compelled to do it in order to show off. Paris was surreptitiously testing Chakotay.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s bizarre how he’s almost written out of the show at the end, until they throw him into that weird ‘relationship’ with Seven out of nowhere

Eh, not really, given how Beltran loving hated the role and being on the show but couldn't get out of his contract so he just stopped giving a poo poo and started phoning in nearly every episode. Even a writers room as dense as Voyager's would have to realize eventually "Uuh, let's just kinda stop giving this guy stuff to do..."

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Chairman posted:

every Voyager character basically has two "things", Chakotay's were "Maquis leader" and "kinda Mayan", and you could tell that the writers got sick of both ideas really early on

even in the Seska episodes in season 3, Chakotay was mostly just there to frown and feel betrayed rather than have any active role in the plot

...And the actor there to collect bigger and bigger paycheck to not do much. He for whatever reason kept getting raises, even if he didn't have that much to do and actually wanted to be kicked out because of his ridiculous salary demands so he would be free to do something else.

And yes I know Beltran is a MAGA shithead or something, but gotta respect his attitude on that.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
If the show went on for another season Chakotay would have started doing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA90rOwmkJ4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

...And the actor there to collect bigger and bigger paycheck to not do much. He for whatever reason kept getting raises, even if he didn't have that much to do and actually wanted to be kicked out because of his ridiculous salary demands so he would be free to do something else.

And yes I know Beltran is a MAGA shithead or something, but gotta respect his attitude on that.

Yeah, Beltran is like right on the dividing line between "wow what a shithead :hmmno:" and "you know, he's actually got a point :hmmyes:". It's weird as poo poo, but that's human nature for ya.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn't the rumour they did that because he didn't particularly got along with Ryan / was upset about 7o9 pretty much taking his second main character role?
I know Mulgrew had her own issues with it at the time, but at least she did keep her spotlight, she just had to share it more.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zedd posted:

Isn't the rumour they did that because he didn't particularly got along with Ryan / was upset about 7o9 pretty much taking his second main character role?
I know Mulgrew had her own issues with it at the time, but at least she did keep her spotlight, she just had to share it more.

I think Beltran got along with and to this day is still well-liked by the whole cast, I'd only heard that it was Mulgrew who had the issue with Ryan and it was because she had a bunch of poo poo going on in her private life and took it out on Ryan in her work life.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Zedd posted:

Yeah, she had issues and was really assholish about it, flubbing lines causing reshoots and stuff because she knew Ryan was really uncomfortable in her outfit, but I think Mulgrew and Ryan made up later and fixed their relationship.

Both have done voice-overs on Star Trek Online later on so if it indicates anything, they at least can live with it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Beltran got along with and to this day is still well-liked by the whole cast, I'd only heard that it was Mulgrew who had the issue with Ryan and it was because she had a bunch of poo poo going on in her private life and took it out on Ryan in her work life.

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, she had issues and was really assholish about it, flubbing lines causing reshoots and stuff because she knew Ryan was really uncomfortable in her outfit, but I think Mulgrew and Ryan made up later and fixed their relationship.

Both have done voice-overs on Star Trek Online later on so if it indicates anything, they at least can live with it.

Right, I know Mulgrew was an rear end in a top hat about it and she did apologize later on and they are cordial/fine now.
But yeah in that case no Idea why they did Chakotey and 7 except cause why the gently caress not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think I read somewhere that one of Beltran’s increasingly and intentionally stupid demands was for Chakotay to get with Seven.

Naturally, the producers also handed him that, much to his bewilderment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

FuturePastNow posted:

akoocheemoya

I watched this episode yesterday and it's very much an episode of Star Trek that was made.