Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Panfilo posted:

Because Stan Edgar adopted her and he has major PR control.

I love how you have some MAGA supe kid laser a flag in half above Neumann and the other dude blames it on Supe hating Democrats.

Actually thinking about it, chuds would love the idea of this group of ubermensch exercising the freedom to do whatever the gently caress they want and would absolutely rally behind them to destroy their enemies. Sam seemed to drink the Kool aid a little too quick, though-I'd figure his time with Emma would soften him but some rear end in a top hat is pulling the whole "we're better than these mud people!" gimmick and he's just chugging it down. I get that his trauma is going to severely distort things but I didn't know he'd swing this hard.

I wonder if Jordan's male form is immune to Cate's powers? It was implied they do it to" make a point" but I could also see it as a genuine defense mechanism.

I wish they gave Sam a more interesting power set because simply being able to rip people in half while disassociating into seeing them as puppets doesn't really feel terribly original. "Ohhh this person is super strong but has crippling plot shackles in the form of being mentally shattered to ensure they can't solve the story's problems too easily!". Maybe it will turn out his power can drain/strengthen other supes by augmenting the V in their blood somehow and this is the basis for that virus, that would be a lot more interesting (imagine overcharging Cate's powers to the point she basically Wanda visions the entire country, for instance!)

It'd be nice if they didn't vilify the guy with mental illness by putting him immediately on the side of supe supremacists literally the instant he is introduced to the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Sheltered, ignorant white kid with anger management issues and a chip on his shoulder immediately joins hate group when they show him just an ounce of friendship and warp his preexisting hatereds.

Just completely unrealistic imo

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Panfilo posted:

Sam seemed to drink the Kool aid a little too quick, though-I'd figure his time with Emma would soften him

He’s known Emma for all of like 2 nights lol

Meanwhile he’s been tortured and held captive by non supes for what seems to be the better part of his life

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really liked this shot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The only thing I find silly is all the MAGA supes crying that neuman is a cop. They love those guys!!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PostNouveau posted:

I don't really like Sam, and I don't know what Emma sees in him.

Lost puppy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The only thing I find silly is all the MAGA supes crying that neuman is a cop. They love those guys!!!

They use "cop" but a more accurate slur would be "fed", because they see Bureaucrats like Neumann as these out of touch petty tyrants that exist only to deny Supes their freedom.

They love cops, sure, but it's cops on a very local level like sheriff's departments since these types of cops tend to exert a degree of autonomy separate from the typical learned attorney generals or federal judges.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Rufus must have super healing powers because he has shrugged off a dick explosion and hedge trimmers through the shoulder like a champion. Still in full dirtbag mode.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
If Newman got a drop of Edison's blood on her, could he have been a carrier for the anti-supe disease? Is that going to be enough to potentially make her sick? I realize that isn't what fluid exchange actually means, but the choose to draw attention to that drop of blood on her.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Even if not that droplet, what about all the infected people in the Woods? Were they killed/cremated off-screen? Any of them could serve to spread it around if they get out/get rescued by Marie and the others.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
As if unchecked free market capitalism would somehow produce a privately run illegal bio-weapons lab that exposes the public to a plague because the containment systems were designed by the lowest shady bidder. Preposterous.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 29, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shyrka posted:

Even if not that droplet, what about all the infected people in the Woods? Were they killed/cremated off-screen? Any of them could serve to spread it around if they get out/get rescued by Marie and the others.

Yeah it requiring direct fluid transfer means it would need to be at a place where people transfer fluids with lots of other random people and disregard the warning signs of getting sick to really spread.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pik_d posted:

If Newman got a drop of Edison's blood on her, could he have been a carrier for the anti-supe disease? Is that going to be enough to potentially make her sick? I realize that isn't what fluid exchange actually means, but the choose to draw attention to that drop of blood on her.

That's the one aspect of the virus subplot that didn't gel for me. That and Vicky not asking if he'd developed a cure to cover his own rear end before she took possession of the virus and popped his head.

If COVID taught people anything about viruses, it's that they don't tend to "behave" or "play nice." Superpowered people might be altered at the genetic level by Compound V, but they still have a human genetic base. So it would stand to reason that a virus that's haphazardly let out into the world wouldn't just infect those it was designed to after it had a chance to get into a few million Supe petri dishes, and any virologist/geneticist would know that.

If there's anything believable about the virus subplot, it's how someone who knows nothing about viruses but holds the reins/purse strings would keep "feature creeping" the end product.

TL;DR: She shouldn't have much to worry about from the speck of dude she got on her arm (not even the Rage Virus from 28 Days/Weeks Later had through-skin infectivity), but when she blows up a guy's head, it's probably going to aerosolize particles of his tissues/blood, even if she doesn't get any on her.

Claudia Doumit's too good of an actress and too much of an asset to the main show to write her off so easily, so she'll probably be fine.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

They're not going to kill off a major character from The Boys in this sideshow, so she has plot armour. I'm wondering if this plotline was planned out after covid started - we've all seen that airborne viruses are really hard to contain, and widespread viruses mutate unpredictably.

Other than Dr. Cardosa drunkenly explaining the plan where the main characters could conveniently overhear, I liked this episode. But that was really contrived.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chamale posted:

. I'm wondering if this plotline was planned out after covid started.

Yes, definitely.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

BlackIronHeart posted:

I know, I know, I shouldn't expect them to be smart about the media they consume but geez it's frustrating.

Coming to such a realization would require self awareness, ergo they will never get the joke

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TIP posted:

magneto (at least in the movies) was never able to control blood, he was only able to rip metal out of that security guard because mystique injected a bunch of poo poo into him ahead of time

Magneto also doesn’t actually just have magnetic powers most of the time, he often has telekinesis over any metals.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

For a series that loves to mock the MCU, they really did fall into the same Marvel villain trap of "oh this character has very compelling ideals... but we need to make them a villain so let's make them want to commit genocide."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean we've known she's imprisoning and torturing kids since like episode 1 or 2 so I don't think there was a villain turn on that reveal.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

imprisoning and torturing supes to trying to find a way to kill them in The Boys universe is usually more indicative of being a protagonist lol

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

imprisoning and torturing supes to trying to find a way to kill them in The Boys universe is usually more indicative of being a protagonist lol
She is literally compared to Butcher by Butcher's boss.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It was dumb to try to give Shetty a sympathetic backstory when absolutely everything about her character and actions would have worked 1000% better if she was just another willing cog in the system, and the viral research was entirely under Vought's direction as another method of control and a panic button to get rid of supes if things got out of hand. With the ethnicity and accent I thought she might have been a sort of Suella Braverman expy, the sort who gleefully joins with the oppressor if it means they can take a turn wearing the boot for just a half second.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It was dumb to try to give Shetty a sympathetic backstory when absolutely everything about her character and actions would have worked 1000% better if she was just another willing cog in the system, and the viral research was entirely under Vought's direction as another method of control and a panic button to get rid of supes if things got out of hand.

It would have been a bit weird. Homelander is essentially in control of Vought through Ashley now. If Gen V took place during Stan Edgar's reign, they could have easily made it part of his plan to get Vought out of superheroes and into temp V pharma sales.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It could still work as a holdover/legacy from Edgar's run, held so tight to his chest that Ashley didn't know about it (yet). Some tension in the season could have come from the core cast trying to break Sam out before losing him forever as the lab makes plans to move/go way underground (for fear of Homelander finding out).

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I never got the impression that Ashley has much control or even knowledge of what the various arms of the company do. It actually seems like a purposeful narrative demonstration of institutional rot, leading to extremely cruel organizations basically working on inertia and autopilot.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Deep is in charge of that part and he got rid of all the competent staff

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The thing that I think worked in the first season of Dexter was the way that they shot the killings like a horror movie from the perspective of Dexter's victims. It created this sort of uncomfortable dissonance between the part of your brain that kind of wants to root for the protagonist to catch the pedophile being at odds with the part of your brain that understands the language of film and feels sympathy for the person being hunted and murdered

I was really hoping that Gen V was going to try and play in that same space. By sort of reframing this universe from the perspective of a like a coming of age superhero story where the kids stumble onto some really dark poo poo, the viewer should be slowly realizing that they're actually at odds with the protagonists of the other show and be left to stew in that tension. The show clearly recognized that dissonance was there but, rather than embracing a more compelling perspective, decides "uh oh, this tension needs to be resolved!" and has a goofy scene where Shetty calls up The Boys so that they can say "no thanks Mrs Hitler, too evil for us!"

To me it was a disappointing cop out that just left Shetty feeling like not much more than a standard comic villain with a splash of The Boys™️ dark edginess

Not to get too backseat writer or whatever but really just like:

Vought researching ways to suppress/control supes -> Shetty realizes this can be made contagious to shut down superpowers worldwide -> contacts The Boys for help -> The Boys worry it's not enough for Homelander, needs to be more powerful -> oops, now we have a genocidal supervirus

gets you to basically the same place, but having a more compelling tension with the themes of The Boys, Cate's actions making a lot more sense, Shetty being a more tragic figure, and the kids being a lot more conflicted about Shetty's death and feeling disillusioned with the superheroes vs villains poo poo they grew up on

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

has a goofy scene where Shetty calls up The Boys so that they can say "no thanks Mrs Hitler, too evil for us!"

No way Butcher wouldn't jump on the supe-killing virus were it not for Ryan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Not to get too backseat writer or whatever but really just like:

Vought researching ways to suppress/control supes -> Shetty realizes this can be made contagious to shut down superpowers worldwide -> contacts The Boys for help -> The Boys worry it's not enough for Homelander, needs to be more powerful -> oops, now we have a genocidal supervirus

gets you to basically the same place, but having a more compelling tension with the themes of The Boys, Cate's actions making a lot more sense, Shetty being a more tragic figure, and the kids being a lot more conflicted about Shetty's death and feeling disillusioned with the superheroes vs villains poo poo they grew up on

Why would you want Shetty to be a more tragic figure? She thinks that killing supes is good because they are supes, and that is the full-on Hitler argument - no amount of nurture can make them good because their very nature is corrupt.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Jedit posted:

Why would you want Shetty to be a more tragic figure? She thinks that killing supes is good because they are supes, and that is the full-on Hitler argument - no amount of nurture can make them good because their very nature is corrupt.

I mean I think I explained why I felt that it would make for more compelling television in the section of the quote you deleted. To expand on things a bit more though:

The second episode of The Boys has the protagonists capturing, torturing, experimenting on, shoving a bomb up the rear end of, and killing a superhero as part of their plan to eradicate superheroes. I'm not really sure how the spinoff of a show that spends so much time dealing with the internal conflict of characters struggling to walk that path can conclude, seemingly without introspection, that actually Shetty is Just A Hitler. Clearly the creators of the show also recognized this, or they wouldn't have included the scene with Mallory

Beyond that I think it just kind of contradicts a lot of the The Boys' take on the superhero genre in general, especially the whole narrative around superheroes vs villains being a fiction meant to sell a product. In Gen V you have a group of kids who grew up watching Vought News, seeing Vought superhero movies, literally having a superhero dad, and have probably completely bought into the superheroes vs villains narrative. When they experience their own origin story however, it's horrible, traumatic, and not at all in line with what they've been led to believe a hero is supposed to be, and so they keep it hidden away. Then they stumble onto their own little Nancy Drew mystery where they finally get to play real superheroes trying to catch the villain, but in the process discover that their parents lied to them, the school isn't what it seems, Vought is doing bad poo poo, they all have horrible origin stories, and maybe all this superhero poo poo is completely hosed. What's the resolution to the mystery though? That the concept of villains they learned from watching movies was basically spot on?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

There Bias Two posted:

Or give them a massive blood clot in their brain/heart/etc.

Really she's just remarkably unimaginative in how she applies her power.

Honestly I felt this when the senator exploded the guy's brain.

Like, it felt gratuitous and also out of character for what had been built up — I got the sense she would have gone for blood clot over anything else.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

To me it was a disappointing cop out that just left Shetty feeling like not much more than a standard comic villain with a splash of The Boys™️ dark edginess

What bothered me is that "supes killed my family, therefore I want to kill every last one" is just Butcher with a coat of paint. They didn't even change the country of origin, they just slapped a pair of headlights in front.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think Sam has plenty of reason to be a super supremacist. He literally sees everyone as puppets. In the tunnel scene, he effortlessly defeated crack swat team of normals.

Sam has fought the rest of the group twice (three times if you include the pilot), he’s probably gonna be the villain of the last episode. Which they did a fair job of building towards.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

PostNouveau posted:

No way Butcher wouldn't jump on the supe-killing virus were it not for Ryan.

Nah, he'd still jump on it just so every other member of the Boys could look on horrified and call him a maniac while doing very little to actually stop him.

Then Hughie'd jump in and flush it all down the toilet or something equally dumb.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I doubt the supe killing virus would kill all supes, or even most of them.

After the initial outbreak they'd disperse and have a low enough population density to put the R value below 1. They would have to be careful about people trying to infect them, but normal people can be killed with guns so eh.

This all goes out the window if normal people can carry the disease without symptoms.

Im not a virologist but I lived through a pandemic so that makes me an internet expert.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Outrail posted:

I doubt the supe killing virus would kill all supes, or even most of them.

After the initial outbreak they'd disperse and have a low enough population density to put the R value below 1. They would have to be careful about people trying to infect them, but normal people can be killed with guns so eh.

This all goes out the window if normal people can carry the disease without symptoms.

Im not a virologist but I lived through a pandemic so that makes me an internet expert.

counterpoint: as soon as A-train gets infected he's going to run around deliberately coughing on everyone who ever offended him

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Car Hater posted:

counterpoint: as soon as A-train gets infected he's going to run around deliberately coughing on everyone who ever offended him

Oh, yeah. Disregard my post.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cate went from 0 to Magneto pretty loving quick.

I can understand not wanting innocent people to get hurt, but lmao at Marie saving the board of directors from Vought. Also her big moment was a huge letdown. All that just to shoot some blood daggers?

That finale was loving bad.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Alchenar posted:

It's been like 5 days.

You say that like minorities don't already bond this fast IRL.

When you're part of the same social category and that social category is one associated with a shitton of stigma, isolation, trauma, etc. you tend to bond a fuckton faster than normal. It's so much easier to splurge every detail of your life to someone you've met at a bar if they're one of the few people you've met in your life that will absolutely "get it". There's a reason why "U-Haul Gay" is a term lmao

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cool ep.