Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

worm girl posted:

No such chance exists. A grab is easily broken and not life threatening. Even multigrabs aren't too bad as long as you react to them instead of pretending they aren't happening. This idea that you could somehow get infinigrabbed by a couple of weak zombies and roll snake eyes enough times that they just kill you is a fabrication. The game plays about the same as it ever did except you get hit a little more often and now if you get surrounded you're in more trouble than you used to be.

Did something change with crushing / suffocation, because last time I played that was potentially a death sentence. Yes, you have to be mashing your face into a horde in order for it to be a problem, but that's kind of the point; the strategy required to safely deal with a huge horde of weak zombies is very simple and easy and tedious to carry out, or you can just hold down tab for a while and maybe get a bad roll of the dice and get put in a bad position or die.

Having tedious but trivial optimal solutions to common problems is something CDDA has in spades so this isn't exactly a new problem, but this is one example which has recently got worse so I thought it was worth mentioning; and if combat was the only part of the game which suffered from it, it would be far more bearable. Zombie games seem to be very susceptible to this issue (Project Zomboid is if anything much worse) as are many more old school roguelikes so it's clear that it's nowhere near a dealbreaker for some people, but it still puts me off playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Oh yeah the intent is that you can't mindlessly faceroll hordes, which I consider to be a good thing. But that's different from what you said before.

I consider mindless facerolling a lot more tedious than dealing with positioning and strategy, and I think what you're calling tedium is actually the point of the game. It's like when people say that fishing is boring because you never catch anything.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The game definitely has a lot of recipes and items that will never be useful to anyone, because they're either immediately outclassed in a normal playthrough or too late to matter in an innawoods setting, so they're really just there for completion, and that's fine I guess. But the most standout example is one I remember seeing when I first started playing, where you can stick two metal spikes through a bowling pin to make an incredibly terrible weapon.

Was this like a meme or someone's favorite pet design or what

E: Checking now it appears both the 7-10 Split and the Lobotomizer have a +1 to hit, which I could swear did not used to be the case, but maybe I just misremembered for years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The "preparation to hit" thing from brawling seems like a decent addition, lets you stay put to get an accuracy bonus to your next hit. Still overemphasises the focus on stepping back but hopefully might allow more unwieldy weapons to be more useable.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
How the hell can anyone get into the sciences? It seems like the whole thing requires an actual chemistry degree. I'm still trying to find all the tools required.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Started playing more for the first time in a few months and was doing an Innawoods run when I met a survivor with asthma. Was pleased to see he could accept spurge tea instead of an inhaler (since there's no way I could get that) but he then spilled it on the ground, probably because the container wasn't watertight and he had no pockets anyway.
However, now that he's joined me, the game's follower/basecamp systems and mechanics are suddenly very daunting. There are so many options. I'm not sure how well most of them work, and some are phrased unintuitively, but I recognize it's mostly my own confusion and unfamiliarity causing the problem.

This guy keeps having asthma attacks but I can't seem to give him anything for it. I tried telling him "use this" with a clay bowl of spurge tea but he went "no, my current weapon is better". I have no NPC needs turned on but he's starving + emaciated. I guess he just spawned that way?
I wanted to make a basecamp but even sending him to chop trees takes like 46,666 kcal which is an insane ask for a wilderness survival run, and a lot of the calorie-expensive activities I can assign him don't seem worth it. The game also hit a huge error when I told him to fish in a fishing zone with a fishing rod because he couldn't find the fishing rod (on the ground, in the zone) and I had to put it in his hands myself. On the bright side I did figure out how to use zones to make blueprint constructions.
I don't know. I'm just completely overwhelmed by all this and the sudden complexity of having to look after someone else is a lot. I might just command-kill him and go back to being a lone wolf. I guess I just do better in this game running it solo.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So the basecamp system is a bit weird in some ways. As you noticed, getting jobs done requires calories in the stockpile. However, you can also just have folks work outside of the camp system so long as they're in your reality bubble and you're willing to handle the associated lag. There are zones you can set up for things like farming, chopping logs, etc. If your npc is assigned to a camp and to those chores and the items are in the correct zone, they'll go over and chop wood for you or whatever.

In order to have stuff work outside of the reality bubble though, you do need to do the basecamp thing and provide calories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ingame self, if I tell you to disarm a bear trap, I would appreciate it if you would not use your leg to do so

i have only seen them in cartoons but i am fairly sure you can just poke it with a stick

A4 Steak Sauce
May 9, 2016
Disarming a bear trap safely is easy. I am more terrified to setting one up and losing my fingers because I am a clumsy idiot

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

A4 Steak Sauce posted:

Disarming a bear trap safely is easy. I am more terrified to setting one up and losing my fingers because I am a clumsy idiot

This is a good point.

There are low-tech ways to disarm some traps. My favorite one is throwing rocks at land mines. Driving or pushing vehicles over traps also sets them off in most cases, so that's one option, though sticks should definitely be a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a tool which can cut through metal doors? I tried an angle grinder and a circular saw and neither seem to work, I found a strange door in a restaurant with a security card reader, couldn't open it or bash it down, would have thought that an angle grinder should do it but seemingly not. I might have an acetylene torch somewhere but they're harder to lug around.

Failing that I can try demolishing one of the walls if I can find a sledgehammer.

I do have to gripe about the anvil changes however. You can't make an anvil without a full set of forge tools, which require an anvil to make. There is a "crude anvil" but the only way to make that is to find railroad tracks of all things which I have no idea if they're even in the game. There is also a bronze anvil which can be cast, but that requires bronze which you also can't make, presumably I need to find a metallurgy book somewhere.

It seems pretty silly to be honest when you've got things like vehicle armour plates lying around. You don't need a bespoke anvil to do forge work, you can tie down a lump of hard steel to a log and it would work, it just needs to be hard, thermally massive, stable, and have some rudimentary forming capability.

Armour plating does have level 2 anvil quality but you can't really make anything with that. I dunno, just seems like a silly change rendering a bunch of crafting ability pointless because you basically have to find all your tools now. Why can't you cast an anvil out of iron? That's what they're normally made of.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 30, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

welding torch it. or climb up the drainpipe and bash in a window

anvil-wise, you are encouraged to go loot some light industry or garages. seems a dumb change

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Presumably subways would have railroad tracks?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

seems a dumb change

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 30, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been to about five light industries, there's a lot here and none of them have anvils or even a metalworking chisel or tongs, I've found two smithing tools total.

I raided a museum just for bronze items that I could break down but I would need like, two or three museums worth with the damaged condition to salvage enough bronze for an anvil, and that might only get me the ability to make tools to make a normal anvil.

I don't even know if a crude anvil will provide anvil level 3 because you can't see the anvil quality because the items no longer have them, you have to place them first which also seems like a kind of silly change? Is the danger of mobile anvilling that high?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think I got most of my smithing gear from that black/gun smith duo you can find out there, with some of it bought out of the Refugee Center store. I do remember finding my chisel in a hardware store though.

I ended up debugging the crude anvil in though since for the life of me I never figured out how I was supposed to dismantle subway tracks into the half meter segment the recipe wanted. You used to start banging it all out on a big rock.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

welding torch it. or climb up the drainpipe and bash in a window

anvil-wise, you are encouraged to go loot some light industry or garages. seems a dumb change

People will not shut the gently caress up about this but it's such a minor thing.

You can make a bronze anvil and that has anvil 3. You can find train tracks anywhere - they've been added to the overworld, they spawn in subways, and you can also get them from caves and mines. Steel anvils also spawn in craft shops, or you can pay some merch to rent the space that the two craftsmen (Cody and the other one) have, which contains everything you need to make an anvil of your own.

The reason it's like this is because the game recently started modeling different grades of steel, and IRL anvils can't just be made of cast iron, which is essentially what was going on with the old recipe. A high quality anvil, which is essential for making high quality items out of steel, needs to be made of a material that will stand up to that kind of pounding.

This being experimental, the change is not finished yet. Anvil spawns are planned for other locations, and more anvil crafting recipes are also planned.

You can also craft your own bronze out of copper and aluminum, which are everywhere. Or you can make copper or bronze weapons, which in many cases are still quite good (bronze spear is literally 2 less damage), and now have a reason to exist. Copper weapons don't seem to need anvils at all, bronze looks like it only needs anvil 2.

quote:

Is there a tool which can cut through metal doors? I tried an angle grinder and a circular saw and neither seem to work, I found a strange door in a restaurant with a security card reader, couldn't open it or bash it down, would have thought that an angle grinder should do it but seemingly not. I might have an acetylene torch somewhere but they're harder to lug around.

It's easier IIRC to bash the wall down with a sledgehammer or other high damage blunt weapon. If it's reinforced concrete, use a jackhammer, then an angle grinder or acetylene torch to cut through the rebar. I believe you can also use an electrohack to hack card readers in most cases.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 30, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be easier to use a sledgehammer but I haven't found one of those either and I can't make one because despite having very high fabrication, I can't make an anvil, and I also can't make bronze because again, the recipe doesn't show up, presumably it requires a specific book which I also haven't found. You might think it would be in "welding and metallurgy" but it does not appear to be.

There are rail tracks in the mine I explored but they do not seem to produce rails when demolished. And I would still apparently need a chisel to make it into a level 3 anvil, which I can't make without a level 3 anvil, which I would need the chisel to make...

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

OwlFancier posted:

It would be easier to use a sledgehammer but I haven't found one of those either and I can't make one because despite having very high fabrication, I can't make an anvil, and I also can't make bronze because again, the recipe doesn't show up, presumably it requires a specific book which I also haven't found. You might think it would be in "welding and metallurgy" but it does not appear to be.

It's in Alloying Reference Manual. It could definitely stand to be in a few other places, especially the historical books. It wasn't needed before so unsurprisingly nobody took the time to add it.

A homewrecker will do the job and is autolearned at fab 0.

Or you can just drive a car into the side of the building, or bait a hulk over to it, or shoot it with a .50.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 30, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aha, the displayed anvil quality is located in the "build furniture" menu. so it actually is visible in-game without having an anvil to hand, which is a bit less dumb

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Sledgehammers are just ideal but there's no special trait to it. All you need is something with very high bash and weight to break down doors/walls/etc. Higher strength helps too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The wood axe works on wooden objects but I don't think I have anything that would work on normal walls, I will see if a homewrecker is any good. Not even sure if the heavy crowbar I found would do it which you would think it would, given that I've used one of those to break concrete before IRL, that's basically what they're designed for. They seem to have a surprisingly poor bash damage rating though for a giant steel rod.

I do have a masonry saw but I don't know if the game models those having an actual use.

Mostly my concern is trying not to collapse the entire building on the staircase, I'm assuming it leads to some sort of underground bunker or something because it's a 1 tile internal volume behind the door, we will see.

On the plus side the lack of heavy wrecking tools has encouraged me to develop the ability to lockpick, which is nice for getting into gun stores quietly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 30, 2023

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

you can sometimes find halligan bars on zombie firefighters, which should also be able to break through concrete.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Funnily I have the firefighter crafting book and the halligan bar is one of the things I would very much like to use the anvil to make for precisely that reason, I recall it being a quite capable melee weapon and also very good for getting into places.

E: looking it up the heavy crowbar should serve but mine might be underperforming because it is damaged, will see if I can repair it with the welder.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Big halligan fan. Very versatile.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't know how long it's been like this but the experimental I updated to a few weeks ago has introduced a curious change to the way way your calories work between Tiny-Small-Normal-Large-Huge sizes. They have different thresholds for weight classes now, and somebody whose just overweight at base when mutating into a mouse might find themselves suddenly morbidly obese when becoming tiny, in the zone where the health and encumbrance penalties start coming up.

It's also hard to fix without debugging because your calorie expenditure seems to just be based on height, so you get more more underweight the bigger you grow and need more food to binge your way back to a healthy weight class, and the smaller sorts need to spend way more time at the gym even with something like rabid metabolism in play since they just don't use as much energy. Even really the really big burner activities like forging or extended workouts only burn about 3k calories a day for my character.

Ironically, this means my diminutive character is both fat as hell and has incredible amounts of stamina from all the time at the punching bag.

Also Mind over Matter is fun, I like this one. The mental disciplines are a bit more interesting to develop then the magiclysm spells and not quite as overpowered, plus it gives me a reason to stand outside in portal storms outside of a HUB 01 paycheck.

I think i did flub developing pyrokinesis though, and it give me a scorching fever or something for like 3 days that probably would of killed me if I hadn't already been a vitakinetic and leveled the poo poo of Revitalizing Meditation to keep up with the damage.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 30, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dandywalken posted:

Big halligan fan. Very versatile.

My best Innawoods game was as a firefighter lost in the past/crazy forest who arrived with nothing but her bunker gear and a halligan bar. That thing was a savior.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so, uh, are zombies supposed to use stairs, or what

got a very promising basement to investigate that's full of survivor zombies, but they're all surrounding the staircase. i'm standing at the top of the stairs hooting and hollering and firing my gun in the air but they prefer their basement party. i long to roll a grenade downstairs but i know it will simply sit at the top, killing me

definitely seen them use z-levels before, so slightly confused.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They do but it isn't consistent. I think there is an option to turn on greater Z level simulation but I don't know if that has to be done at the world setup.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I don’t know if it can handle a secured metal door but the Pipe Great Mace (or whatever the twohander is called) is a favorite of mine for bashing safes open. It needs 2 pipes and 2 pipe fittings to make with minimal tools, so it’s easy to procure and assemble on site.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Caidin posted:

I don't know how long it's been like this but the experimental I updated to a few weeks ago has introduced a curious change to the way way your calories work between Tiny-Small-Normal-Large-Huge sizes. They have different thresholds for weight classes now, and somebody whose just overweight at base when mutating into a mouse might find themselves suddenly morbidly obese when becoming tiny, in the zone where the health and encumbrance penalties start coming up.

It's also hard to fix without debugging because your calorie expenditure seems to just be based on height, so you get more more underweight the bigger you grow and need more food to binge your way back to a healthy weight class, and the smaller sorts need to spend way more time at the gym even with something like rabid metabolism in play since they just don't use as much energy. Even really the really big burner activities like forging or extended workouts only burn about 3k calories a day for my character.

Ironically, this means my diminutive character is both fat as hell and has incredible amounts of stamina from all the time at the punching bag.

It has been like this forever. Some work needs to be done on how these mutations operate - they should probably happen over several days (using EOCs) and involve a lot of body horror. If you're shrinking, you should probably be sloughing off extra tissue and/or burning up with fever, and if you're growing rapidly you should have to eat insane amounts of food. This is all doable now but nobody's gotten around to it.

Some maps don't correctly align up/down stairs. When Z levels were first introduced like a decade+ ago, it wasn't considered necessary for whatever reason. Monsters can't path up and down stairs if they don't line up. There's an ongoing project to find these misaligned stairs and fix them.

Stairs that do line up will only let zombies through one or two at a time, which is intentional as they break line of sight and stuff. It can sometimes be hard to tell which thing is happening.

Speaking of Z levels, a recent change made it so that if you're on a roof, you're not automatically visible to everything on the ground when you have Z level vision on. It actually calculates the angle that an enemy would have to be at to see you up there, and in addition to moving to the middle or opposite side of the roof to break LoS, you can do things like crouch or go prone to get even more concealment. So if you're in trouble, getting up on the roof to hide might actually be a decent idea now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh that is a nice change. The way vision in a roof previously worked was something I had definitively noticed, to my survivor’s dismay.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

worm girl posted:

It has been like this forever. Some work needs to be done on how these mutations operate - they should probably happen over several days (using EOCs) and involve a lot of body horror. If you're shrinking, you should probably be sloughing off extra tissue and/or burning up with fever, and if you're growing rapidly you should have to eat insane amounts of food. This is all doable now but nobody's gotten around to it.

Mutation mechanic changes have always felt like sort a niche project that rarely sees a lot development. The mouse line in particular has had the conflict between it's size requirements and mutation restrictions keeping them out of a gas mask without tanking your mouth encumbrance for as long as it's been in the game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Maybe a weird question but... what's the meta for organizing your stuff these days?

As someone who mostly used the advanced inventory screen to loot, I'm having a hard time adapting to even just picking up gear when it's nested in multiple containers and increasingly hard to be sure I've got everything off a dead zombie. The "get" menu is a lot better at this but feels less organized.
But storing loot is what's throwing me. I'm usually pretty precise about my storage, and I notice that since the stacking change, granular items like flour, sugar, salt, italian seasoning, etc., all get treated as individual items and thus take much longer to move and sort unless they're in containers. This change makes sense realistically, keeping your sugar in a bag instead of sorting it pinch by pinch on the floor. But it feels more daunting to sort and store it this way. Previously a single inventory tile would say Sugar(9215) or whatever. Now I end up with 50 paper bags of sugar each with different quantities contained and they don't stack or display well on any screen where I might be trying to take inventory at a glance. Now multiply that by every single item in the game that stores by quantity like this and my storage is an ever-increasing disaster zone.

Basically just trying to figure out a neat and tidy, visually appealing and easily-tracked way to store stuff that doesn't involve spending 6 hours dropping sugar grain by grain.

Unless this was changed recently, stairs don't always align. Stairs down on level 2 might be on a different tile than stairs up on level 1 and so hooting and hollering at the top might actually be drawing them to a totally unrelated spot on the lower level.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's not the absolute solution, but you can reload and unload items in your inventory and they'll go into appropriate containers where possible. so if you got a stack of 5 bags of 10 sugar, unloading four of them will leave you with one bag of 50 sugar and four empty bags

generally it's handy to do this as-and-when, rather than having one insanely depressing inventory management batch job.

i mostly just dump stuff on an appropriate square, use it as needed without ever interacting with the individual items, and occasionally chuck away the empty things like bags and wrappers

and re: stairs; piss. pissss

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Caidin posted:

Mutation mechanic changes have always felt like sort a niche project that rarely sees a lot development. The mouse line in particular has had the conflict between it's size requirements and mutation restrictions keeping them out of a gas mask without tanking your mouth encumbrance for as long as it's been in the game.

Mouse was intended from the jump to pretty much be able to not use any gear at all - they get phenomenal dodge and near-infinite stamina, so it was like one of those high speed low durability builds. This was walked back a bit when dodges were limited to a set number per turn, so XS gear was added, but it's been pretty piecemeal and IMO poorly done. One major problem is that currently the "oversized" trait is what determines if someone with a muzzle or tail or w/e can wear an item, but that isn't being applied to things like the XS survivor mask when it probably should be.

I'm still working on a dungeon location, but once I'm done I'm going to go through and fuss with survivor gear, so I'll try to hit that when I do. In the meantime, you can get a tracheal filter CBM. These filter out poison gas now even though I don't think they should.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

worm girl posted:

Mouse was intended from the jump to pretty much be able to not use any gear at all - they get phenomenal dodge and near-infinite stamina, so it was like one of those high speed low durability builds. This was walked back a bit when dodges were limited to a set number per turn, so XS gear was added, but it's been pretty piecemeal and IMO poorly done. One major problem is that currently the "oversized" trait is what determines if someone with a muzzle or tail or w/e can wear an item, but that isn't being applied to things like the XS survivor mask when it probably should be.

I'm still working on a dungeon location, but once I'm done I'm going to go through and fuss with survivor gear, so I'll try to hit that when I do. In the meantime, you can get a tracheal filter CBM. These filter out poison gas now even though I don't think they should.

I mostly just play with magiclysm and do my best to hunt down the wind spell that let's you keep a bubble of clean air on your head. Sealed System is a new biokinetic power from the Mind over Matter mod which I thought would do that, it lets you hold your breath and fight for a unnaturally long time, but I immediately got poisoned walking into a cloud after activating it so I have no idea what it's used for!

But yeah Mouse was absolutely an example of being able to tab it's way though a dozen zombies at a time if they didn't have a shocker or some other counter play type of enemy that targeted mouses lack of special defenses. You could get a dodge rating of well over 30 by the time mutations were down. They were very weak to ferals back when they plain just hit you in the chest whenever they threw a rock though instead of that being a thing you can dodge.

They also eventually made it so that tiny mutants were between 1'9 to 2'7 feet tall instead of being 3 feet something which was a mostly cosmetic change that means those characters only use massive weapons twice their height and with the weight thing clearly mostly operate like pint sized spherical anime swordsmen.

It's pretty great.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 31, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Caidin posted:

They also eventually made it so that tiny mutants were between 1'9 to 2'7 feet tall instead of being 3 feet something which was a mostly cosmetic change that means those characters only use massive weapons twice their height and with the weight thing clearly mostly operate like pint sized spherical anime swordsmen.

It's pretty great.

Now I want a Redwall mod for this game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the cooking recipes alone would take years...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Wheres the best place to hunt for rubber cement and kevlar sheets, some of the recipes won't let you use the patchwork kind for some reason. I've only found the cement in some auto garages but it's rare and the kevlar sheets I've only located in those little craft area's in some basements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the true food endgame of cataclysm is just eating lard by the bucket loads.