Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Manoueverable posted:

DK really is incredibly overrated, maybe the most overrated player in the whole league, and I hope a team out there is dumb enough to offer a high pick for him so the Hawks can make him someone else's problem.

I don't think he is that bad, but it really does seem like his game has seen no improvement and he really just leans in to "be bigger than the other guy" a lot of the time. This could partially be the offensive scheme though because the Seahawks have plenty of good route runners and he provides a unique challenge for DBs. I don't get the feeling he is on the trade block so someone would have to offer a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

seiferguy posted:

Shanahan seems to have an issue when star players are hurt (either they're out or on the field & dealing with something nagging), he cannot adjust to work without it. Like Purdy is clearly not 100%, and without Deebo he's just all over the place.

When everyone is good, he's on fire, but it is the NFL and you gotta adjust better for injuries.

Very much this. Like the other recievers cannot get seperation and yet he keeps trying to pass. Ayuk/Kittle are the only ones who are consistent and that is not enough.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Lifespan posted:

I don't think he is that bad, but it really does seem like his game has seen no improvement and he really just leans in to "be bigger than the other guy" a lot of the time. This could partially be the offensive scheme though because the Seahawks have plenty of good route runners and he provides a unique challenge for DBs. I don't get the feeling he is on the trade block so someone would have to offer a lot.

They need a new QB fast, and if dumping DK would help with that?

He also throws tantrums that result in penalties, which is a perfect fit for the Seahawks.

... I wish I could find someone that loves me as much as the Seahawks love penalties.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Seattle is a mediocre team catching some good variance.

I myself look forward to another classic Seahawks season of making the playoffs then immediately losing the wild card.

I also look forward to losing more games in the back half of the season to really stifle any hype. Seahawks have lost more in the second half of the season compared to the first half of the season in; 2022, 2020, 2019, 2017. Note that 2021 and 2018 had the same amount of losses in the back half as the front half.

At this rate Seattle is going to do well enough that PCJS get to come back and the draft pick is going to be high enough that the team can't draft an elite QB prospect. Mediocrity doldrums continues.

I thought I left Good to Great behind when I left my job but the Mariners and Seahawks are determined to remind me of it and I hate them for it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

seiferguy posted:

Shanahan seems to have an issue when star players are hurt (either they're out or on the field & dealing with something nagging), he cannot adjust to work without it. Like Purdy is clearly not 100%, and without Deebo he's just all over the place.

When everyone is good, he's on fire, but it is the NFL and you gotta adjust better for injuries.

i mean he made the nfccg last year with their third string qb

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Christ, pump the brakes a little on the "Seahawks are frauds and should blow everything up" thing. I don't think Geno's a good longterm solution to QB either, but trading DK Metcalf while 5-2 and leading the division for the hopes of getting a better solution is insane.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1719060572484915346

I don't really know anything about this guy but I like the idea of trading some picks to try and boost the team now. Feels like a slight overpay for a guy with 1.5 sacks so far but w/e.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Failson posted:

They need a new QB fast, and if dumping DK would help with that?

There are no QBs on the market better than Geno right now and moving DK alone will not be enough to get a draft pick high enough to get a high level QB prospect. Geno is definitely QB1 for the season (curious if he continues to fall off when they might bring Lock in) and very likely the next.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Looks like Hawks are trading for Leonard Williams from the Giants for picks. :hawksin:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Pungry posted:

Christ, pump the brakes a little on the "Seahawks are frauds and should blow everything up" thing. I don't think Geno's a good longterm solution to QB either, but trading DK Metcalf while 5-2 and leading the division for the hopes of getting a better solution is insane.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1719060572484915346

I don't really know anything about this guy but I like the idea of trading some picks to try and boost the team now. Feels like a slight overpay for a guy with 1.5 sacks so far but w/e.

As long as homeboy isn't like 32 years old coming off an injury, I'm happy with this.

Y'all freaking out over the Seahawks getting stifled by one of the best defenses in the NFL are wild. Geno still does Geno stuff from time to time, but he's good enough to punch your ticket into the playoffs. Only need to win a few in a row at that point. Getting hot at the end of the season got Eli Manning a bunch of rings so dare to dream, baby.

edit: ooh, the Giants eat most of his salary. That's kind of nice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leonard Williams is a 29 year old nine-year vet with 39.5 sacks and 239 tackles in 132 games. He's fine, not a pro bowl guy but certainly not a liability either.

e. actually he was pro bowl 2016-17 season, so that's not bad but a long time ago.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 30, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I didn't want to trade Metcalf for a QB or QB-level pick, I just wanted to trade him for a starting caliber DL. Which I guess we just got. So now we can trade him for the 2nd round pick we just paid to get a DL.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DeimosRising posted:

i mean he made the nfccg last year with their third string qb

mhm and what happened in that game? :)

edit: probably should have refreshed before I saw the Leonard news, neat.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

seiferguy posted:

mhm and what happened in that game? :)

the 4th stringer also got hurt and there's no such thing as a 5th stringer that can throw the ball

feller
Jul 5, 2006

He should have gone wildcat though that was a mistake

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

DancingMachine posted:

I didn't want to trade Metcalf for a QB or QB-level pick, I just wanted to trade him for a starting caliber DL. Which I guess we just got. So now we can trade him for the 2nd round pick we just paid to get a DL.

In what world is a 2nd round pick better than DK Metcalf as far as winning a Super Bowl goes? The man has put up 900 yards receiving at least in every year of play. Some bad undisciplined penalties doesn't immediately invalidate all that production. And, again, the Seahawks are currently 5-2 and winning their division. Getting a 2nd by giving up Metcalf hurts the team's Super Bowl chances in a year they have a shot at one (I don't care if you think they're frauds, they do have a legit shot this year). It's just not a good idea to get rid of Metcalf for a 2nd for any reason.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

seiferguy posted:

Nah. We're seeing several things that have little (directly) to do with Shanny. Along with Purdy being young and still dealing with elbow recovery, this is partially what happens to all teams that depend on a patchwork and mediocre offensive line, and partially what happens to all teams that depend on a DC who thinks it's still 2003.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Coldforge posted:

and partially what happens to all teams that depend on a DC who thinks it's still 2003.

This is the big problem. Looking at the defenses, Wilks does a terrible job disguising coverages. Even his d line pressure schemes are super obvious. If a non professional person can read his coverages, pros are going to have a field day which is what happened in the past two games.

Edit: There was also an insightful conversation on KNBR this morning too, apparently Wilks sits in his booth and is not on the sidelines at all. So he doesn't get any feedback or input from his players which I feel is really bad. He should listen to his best in the league players at not just play chess upstairs.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 30, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Pungry posted:

In what world is a 2nd round pick better than DK Metcalf as far as winning a Super Bowl goes? The man has put up 900 yards receiving at least in every year of play. Some bad undisciplined penalties doesn't immediately invalidate all that production. And, again, the Seahawks are currently 5-2 and winning their division. Getting a 2nd by giving up Metcalf hurts the team's Super Bowl chances in a year they have a shot at one (I don't care if you think they're frauds, they do have a legit shot this year). It's just not a good idea to get rid of Metcalf for a 2nd for any reason.

I'm fine with waiting to the offseason to trade him now that we have secured a DL. He is not going to be worth the contract he is going to demand in 2025 so gotta get rid of him at some point while you can get some value back.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I wonder if this means guys like Brian Burns are untouchable OR carrying a huge asking price. I thought they might try and raid Carolina for him. Ah well, more DL is always a good thing and we've likely got a reasonably high pick in the third.

DK is cool and pretty good but always a step away from top-flight WR status IMO. I like having him on the team. He is handsome and large.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
DK is gonna make some great plays then make some dipshit play that gets him flagged for 15. It's just what you accept with the kind of guy he is.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

OGS-Remix posted:

This is the big problem. Looking at the defenses, Wilks does a terrible job disguising coverages. Even his d line pressure schemes are super obvious. If a non professional person can read his coverages, pros are going to have a field day which is what happened in the past two games.

Edit: There was also an insightful conversation on KNBR this morning too, apparently Wilks sits in his booth and is not on the sidelines at all. So he doesn't get any feedback or input from his players which I feel is really bad. He should listen to his best in the league players at not just play chess upstairs.

The biggest problem imo is that they cannot stop the run whatsoever this year. The last few years they were able to get teams in 2nd/3rd and long and that's when guys like Bosa can tee off, this year they're allowing over 4 ypc. I agree about the d-line rush being very vanilla, you don't see many stunts or games up front to target certain o-linemen. Someone said missed tackles are a problem so far this year, 100% agree.

As far as Wilks being up in the booth, I don't know how big of a deal that is, he can call down to the sidelines. I don't get the impression that he's a big rah-rah guy like DeMeco is anyway. Also look at someone like Vic Fangio, he's always in the booth and he is one of the best defensive coordinators in the league. I don't think Wilks is the right fit, but I can't see him getting fired unless the season totally falls apart.

Edit: The 49ers have had struggles in October the past few years so this might just be a thing that they do.

https://twitter.com/jonnydels/status/1718776097699938473?s=20

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I think DK is a good WR, hot take, and I also don't think it's a coincidence that Lockett suddenly looked more open this week with DK back in the lineup.

Leonard Williams is a good player and will provide really valuable rotation for a fairly thin DT unit. A 2nd is steep but the Giants picking up his salary leaves a lot of flexibility. Seems like a win/win.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

seiferguy posted:

DK is gonna make some great plays then make some dipshit play that gets him flagged for 15. It's just what you accept with the kind of guy he is.

Love&Love2Hate my big fast stronk dumb WR2.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Williams contract ends this year so whether or not that’s a good trade will depend to a degree on what they end up having to pay him.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

DancingMachine posted:

I disagree, DK is supposed to be one of those receivers who is always open 1:1 regardless of how close the DB is. But he actually sucks at contested catches and didn't even try on a couple of those that looked like "bad throws" but should have been at least something he could make a play on.

Geno threw a LOT of bad throws. Like he threw maybe 6 times where I said "that was a good throw."

PJ Walker got maybe a handful more out of me which is saying something about Geno.

Our offense is good. Geno keeps turning into a pumpkin though.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

nollij posted:

Geno threw a LOT of bad throws. Like he threw maybe 6 times where I said "that was a good throw."

PJ Walker got maybe a handful more out of me which is saying something about Geno.

Our offense is good. Geno keeps turning into a pumpkin though.

The tweet by the punter in your Av is :discourse:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pungry posted:

Do you think Seattle will win the nfc west this year?

They do not have a legit chance at winning a Super Bowl this year.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Man, just get to the playoffs and maybe some magic will happen. Teams league wide are struggling with red zone offense so it makes anything more of a crapshoot.

Certainly better than the Mariners approach of being cheap and 'maybe these AAAA prospects might work out' strategy year over year.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

seiferguy posted:

Man, just get to the playoffs and maybe some magic will happen. Teams league wide are struggling with red zone offense so it makes anything more of a crapshoot.

Certainly better than the Mariners approach of being cheap and 'maybe these AAAA prospects might work out' strategy year over year.

Maybe the seahawks are doing us fans a favor and only trying to win 54% of the time (and only make the playoffs once in next 8 years)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

seiferguy posted:

Seattle is likely to make the playoffs because NFC strength, expanded playoffs, and Seattle’s starting record.

That doesn’t mean they are likely to make substantial progress in the playoffs. Carroll has a history of losing wildcard games when he has the more talented team, much less when facing roughly equally talented trams.

The question for evaluation the Williams trade is whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze. The contract and draft compensation are such that it plausibly only makes sense if this acquisition gets us substantively more chance of super bowl success. I’d argue that a solid but not great defensive tackle is not going to do that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
"Seattle might not go far in the playoffs, may as well not do anything at all" is a pretty bad way to approach team building.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I am okay with my team being aggressive when they think they have a chance, and the fact that they basically sold a pick for salary relief on Williams' contract is not terrible, so I am in favor of this move esp if they think they can sign him in the offseason.

fe: the joke about SEA not getting to draft an RB in the second round of the 2024 draft is also hilarious to me

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

That doesn’t mean they are likely to make substantial progress in the playoffs. Carroll has a history of losing wildcard games when he has the more talented team, much less when facing roughly equally talented trams.

This part here is absolutely not true, the only game I can think of where this was the case was the Cowboys game (and that was the year Bobby was injured). The last 2 years we did not have the more talented team, the offense was totally cooked for all of December before facing the Rams and last year was the Niners buzzsaw.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 31, 2023

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Maybe they will make it to the NFCCG and the opponent will have to start their punter as QB after all their other QBs get injured.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

I don't know how the hell you look at every other team in the league look as mortal as they have and think this. Every team has looked extremely beatable. Yes, this includes the Seahawks, but so what? You make it in, you can beat (and lose to) anybody.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

seiferguy posted:

"Seattle might not go far in the playoffs, may as well not do anything at all" is a pretty bad way to approach team building.

Actually, “don’t make bad trades” is a good way to approach team building.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Manoueverable posted:

This part here is absolutely not true, the only game I can think of where this was the case was the Cowboys game (and that was the year Bobby was injured). The last 2 years we did not have the more talented team, the offense was totally cooked for all of December before facing the Rams and last year was the Niners buzzsaw.

Yes he also loses when he has a roughly equally talented team or a worse team. As I noted.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yes he also loses when he has a roughly equally talented team or a worse team. As I noted.

Your right, we should dump Pete for the better coaches on the market like

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Peachfart posted:

I know of a DC that's ready for a head coaching job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Peachfart posted:

Belichick and to lesser extent Reid have broken everyone's brain as to what constitutes a successful coach