Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't appreciate Steve calling me a liar tho. The very first time I started the game, I found myself into a diashow of a main menu. The very first thing I disabled was DOF and everything got smooth.

Steve calling you out specifically is very rude of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Perhaps the game needs to stop rendering so much teeth.

https://x.com/tombomp/status/1717641500891238536

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

Can't they just render a country with terrible dental care, fewer teeth!!! :yooge:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

No, I don't want to see Mr. Beast ever again.
Does "don't recommend channel" not work for you?

I don't see any of the garbage-poo poo people mention here, and I blocked them years and years ago.

(the shorts and search poo poo can gently caress off though)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Don't recommend channel is basically a 3-6 month mute that eventually shoves things back in your recs. The BlockTube extension actually does block channels from appearing anywhere in the interface and you can block individual videos with it too.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Is that true? Because I GTFO'd turds like the 8-bit Guy years ago and with my interests I'd expect to see his poo poo again by now if so.

BlockTube is cool, though. I used it when I didn't watch on a phone as much.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I literally cannot remember the last time I actually opened my subscriptions page. I watch a lot of youtube, and it is 100% through home/recommended/search.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tracecomplete posted:

Dear <every social media platform that isn’t TikTok>,

You are not TikTok, you will never be TikTok, please stop trying to be TikTok.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Dear <every social media platform that isn’t TikTok>,

You are not TikTok, you will never be TikTok, please stop trying to be TikTok.

*sad Vine noises*

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

A British friend talking about the game said "it's full of teeth and knickers" and I thought they were using a weird Britishism until I saw the news

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

tracecomplete posted:

Is that true? Because I GTFO'd turds like the 8-bit Guy years ago and with my interests I'd expect to see his poo poo again by now if so.

There's either a time limit or a block cap because I've had to reblock youtube's favorite content for babies (SSSniperWolf, MrBeast, Dhar Mann, etc) and bigots (PragerU, Jordan Peterson, Joe Rogan, etc) multiple times over

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I literally cannot remember the last time I actually opened my subscriptions page. I watch a lot of youtube, and it is 100% through home/recommended/search.

This is me too and might be why youtube keeps shoving insane garbage at me, because like 2/3ds of my views are cooking shows and 1/3 are tech news but I also don't use subscriptions or likes or notifications at all so my recommendation algorithm must be a mess

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've never, ever had any of the mainstream (SSSniperWolf, MrBeast, etc) or right wing (JP, Rogan, etc) poo poo appear on my feed. Occasionally something I watch will taint the results a little bit, not in a harmful way but just weighting it towards something I am not that interested in, but if I just ignore those things or choose "Not Interested" they go away after a day or two. You can also filter the feed using the little labels at the top which I find quite useful and is also a bit of a clue as to why certain things might be appearing.

I use subscriptions (but mostly I interact with it through new videos appearing in the feed, as opposed to using the subscriptions page) but I never use likes, playlists, watch later, or anything like that. I imagine regularly interacting with your front page by clicking on the videos you like and not clicking on (or dismissing) the videos you don't over the course of many years is the best way to get a feed that works for you and is resilient to bullshit.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 29, 2023

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

In fairness my recommendations have been weird lately too, but it's weird on the "you watch one particular Rimworld content creator, so here's a parade of let's plays of similar games from people with 200 views".

I guess I'd rather that than whatever low opinion of you the algorithm has for y'all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

While we're talking about youtube, recently when I watch new content creators and they instruct me to hit subscribe and to ring the bell I have been wondering if it is common knowledge on "why" everyone started asking people to hit that bell in the first place, and by now we have so many younger folks who came on the platform after that whole thing bubbled up and I wonder what the accepted justification for asking that is now.

omething like 6, maybe even 8 years ago YouTube had a "bug" in it that was preventing certain videos from appearing in subscribers' sub box of the creators they're subbed to. After a lot of back and forth prodding from youtube and people comparing screenshots, youtube went from saying it was a bug, to eventually admitting that this was being done on purpose and that youtube found that it retained users on the site longer if certain videos by creators were not presented to everyone's sub feed when the video is published. This is absolutely fuckin bonkers and, to get dramatic, breaches the trust of having a fuckin sub in the first place imo!!! So anyway, the solution at that point was to click the notification bell because the notifications never missed anything. Who knows if this was actually 4D chess on youtube's part (prob not) to content creators telling their creators to actively make the app send notifications, but regardless, the part about vids being unpredictably excluded from a sub box, by design, is pretty fuckin awful.

I haven't heard anyone mention this debacle in many, many years so if you didn't know about this please say so because I'm curious.

I don’t know about any of this. I do know it’s impossible to use my subscription list to tell when the channels I want to watch have new videos. There’s a section of highlighted channels at the top where I have no idea how it gets populated, since it never shows the channel I watch religiously every week when there’s an update. I have to search for that channel manually or scroll through the lengthy subscription list that appears to be randomly sorted.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Volte posted:

I've never, ever had any of the mainstream (SSSniperWolf, MrBeast, etc) or right wing (JP, Rogan, etc) poo poo appear on my feed. Occasionally something I watch will taint the results a little bit, not in a harmful way but just weighting it towards something I am not that interested in, but if I just ignore those things or choose "Not Interested" they go away after a day or two. You can also filter the feed using the little labels at the top which I find quite useful and is also a bit of a clue as to why certain things might be appearing.

Yes but the point some of us are making is that we don't watch anything even peripherally related to these channels (I have never watched any reaction videos but will still get SSSniperWolf recommended, I have never watched a sniveling racist sob on camera but will still get Jordan Peterson recommended, etc) and will get them recommended again months later even after explicitly telling youtube to not recommend their channels by name. There's either a time limit or block limit on "don't recommend" so I'll get my homepage pruned to nothing but content I like, but then within a few months there'll be a tidal wave of videos with oversaturated thumbnails of a dead-eyed presenter next to the word "FAKE?" or "WOKE" where apparently I won't BELIEVE what happens next!!

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Disable inline playback, it puts poo poo into history and thus simply hovering over a video for two seconds will mark it as watched. Killing it made recommendations a lot more predictable for me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm not doubting that it's appearing for you against your wishes, but it could be appearing either because of something else you're watching that the algorithm erroneously thinks is related to those things (which you might be able to figure out by filtering by the labels at the top to see what category it's basing the recommendation on) or because you're not engaging with your feed enough for it to not dip into the "What's popular on YouTube in general?" well to fill it out. I've been using the YouTube feed almost exclusively as my portal to YT videos for like 5 or 6 years and have never once had any of that stuff appear. I've never even told it to never show it to me, it just doesn't show it to me, and the list of categories it does show me are all sensible based on what I've been watching. I don't know what the difference is between our usage habits, but I think the answer lies there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The MrBeast not appearing, that I cannot believe. There has to be something remotely adjacent, that you're watching, that will eventually trigger his poo poo to appear.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
On my life I've never seen a single MrBeast video on my feed

edit: I do occasionally get a random video that, when I click it, all the comments are like "Hello algorithm, why was this 70 view video recommended to literally everyone", but I've never gotten any huge mainstream videos recommended to me outside of my normal feed stuff

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Volte posted:

yeah, the only time I’ve seen his face is when other YouTubers that I do follow (various breadtubers, etc) make videos about him or inspired by him, but never anything from him directly

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I noticed after youtube started blocking ublock and I had to get ads is it clearly thinks I shoot guns and am conservative. I am neither.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Volte posted:

I'm not doubting that it's appearing for you against your wishes, but it could be appearing either because of something else you're watching that the algorithm erroneously thinks is related to those things (which you might be able to figure out by filtering by the labels at the top to see what category it's basing the recommendation on) or because you're not engaging with your feed enough for it to not dip into the "What's popular on YouTube in general?" well to fill it out. I've been using the YouTube feed almost exclusively as my portal to YT videos for like 5 or 6 years and have never once had any of that stuff appear. I've never even told it to never show it to me, it just doesn't show it to me, and the list of categories it does show me are all sensible based on what I've been watching. I don't know what the difference is between our usage habits, but I think the answer lies there.

I mean you got it on the head, the answer is you're not engaging with your feed enough for it to not dip into the "What's popular on YouTube in general?" well to fill it out basically. I have maybe three or four channels I watch with any regularity, maybe a dozen more sporadically and that's about it, and since they only update here and there my feed only gets a couple new videos a day to show me - and because I don't feed the algorithm anything it can work with it just keeps insisting this time, this time I might like Popular Thing even though I said I don't repeatedly. It has been better lately, I've also been seeing a lot more sub-100 view videos which I'll take any day of the week over the alternative, but I do miss the days where Mr. Bean compilations and local news bloopers were the go-to recommendations for blank slates instead of, well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FlapYoJacks posted:

Paving the way for an eventual re-skin / mod for StarFleet Dental Total Conversion.

Hey, has Linus been called to account for his crimes against accuracy and letting his staff harass themselves yet?

I suspect not, nor will he ever be, he will just keep dropping CPUs onto the floor and sheepishly stare into the camera while saying 'still good'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 29, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Volte posted:

edit: I do occasionally get a random video that, when I click it, all the comments are like "Hello algorithm, why was this 70 view video recommended to literally everyone", but I've never gotten any huge mainstream videos recommended to me outside of my normal feed stuff

I’m in the same boat. I assume I blocked Mr beast eons ago. The closest I get is other YouTubers doing Mr beast-adjacent stuff every once in a while, to which I just hit “not interested”

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Binary Badger posted:

Hey, has Linus been called to account for his crimes against accuracy and letting his staff harass themselves yet?

I suspect not, nor will he ever be, he will just keep dropping CPUs onto the floor and sheepishly stare into the camera while saying 'still good'

Saying anything about an ongoing investigation is a surefire way to get obliterated by lawyers so I'm sure he's had everybody around him tell him to shut the gently caress up. We probably won't hear anything for a long time and the most likely outcome will be a quiet "settled out of court" type thing. Hopefully that will be followed by an update of their policies or whatever but who knows.

For the accuracy? Yeah I doubt that's ever gonna happen.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

TheCoach posted:

Disable inline playback, it puts poo poo into history and thus simply hovering over a video for two seconds will mark it as watched. Killing it made recommendations a lot more predictable for me.

Oh, sweet! :tipshat:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Youtube did serve me a couple of right-wing ads after I turned off adblock a couple weeks ago, one from jorp and a 5 minute trailer for some anti-trans movie. I reported the latter as a bad/harmful ad and haven't seen anything like it since. Don't see too many midroll ads, most are at the beginning and end of videos and those are easy to skip.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

tracecomplete posted:

Does "don't recommend channel" not work for you?

I don't see any of the garbage-poo poo people mention here, and I blocked them years and years ago.

There is a whole pile of channels I've set to 'don't recommend' and they still show up every few months. I'm constantly swatting flies with in that god forsaken platform.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The most likely reason people think the remove channel button is temporary (it isn't) is because they're pruning their Google/YouTube activity and/or have a limit on how long Google keeps your data set.
If you ignore a channel, like, watch or interact with a channel/video in any way on January 1st with a 6month retention policy, it'll treat it like it never happened on 1st July.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I have no data retention rules set up for google / youtube so it isn't that when it's happened to me :shrug: it's not like it's an uncommon problem, there's hundreds of hits on google of people bitching about the same thing

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just let Youtube feed me whatever it wants that week. Sometimes the algo decides that I'm into cigars so for the week I'll just watch cigar videos until it stops.

I truly live for the madness.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

it's 15 bucks a month for premium why are people acting like it's some human rights violation lol

everyone just expected that everything would be "free" (paid for by the fed's infinite free money printer) until inflation started kicking up and they had to shut it off

It was 10 bucks a month. $10/mo is my limit for paying for a website that does not result in me getting more money from using it, so I ended up canceling the moment the price hike was announced.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Skeezy posted:

I just let Youtube feed me whatever it wants that week. Sometimes the algo decides that I'm into cigars so for the week I'll just watch cigar videos until it stops.

I truly live for the madness.

I wonder if CONRADCIGARSPIPES is still alive

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flagrama posted:

It was 10 bucks a month. $10/mo is my limit for paying for a website that does not result in me getting more money from using it, so I ended up canceling the moment the price hike was announced.

VPN to India and pay like $3 then :shrug:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
No price is too high if it means I don't have to watch political ads for the 2024 cycle.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Everyone has a different use case for YouTube, and there is only one paid option that doesn't satisfy everyone's requirements. Premium is valued ~$15 and includes YouTube Music, and stand-alone YouTube Music is competitively priced against Apple Music and Spotify Premium (all at $11/month). I think if you're a YouTube Music user, then it's easier to justify the cost of paying for YouTube Premium. You're paying $15 ($11 for YouTube Music plus $4 for ad-free/background play YouTube) If you're not using YouTube Music, I think you'd have to watch a lot of YouTube videos to justify the cost, and for a lot of people that's going to be the case why they don't want to pay the $15. It'd be better if there was a YouTube Premier lower tier that was like $3-4/month that didn't include YouTube Music, but Google has essentially merged their music service into YouTube so who the hell knows if that would work.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I will simply continue to block ads. Also its funny that I'm now getting video recs talking specifically about how to get around the message, though I also haven't seen that message in a while so Youtube's probably lost this fight.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, I was already a YouTube Music user, and I already had the family plan since my folks use it as well. The extra few bucks a month to be sure I don't see ads and can listen to the audio stream only from videos on my phone is worth it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

njsykora posted:

. Also its funny that I'm now getting video recs talking specifically about how to get around the message,

Big "use LimeWire free to download LimeWire pro" energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MarcusSA posted:

VPN to India and pay like $3 then :shrug:
I don't see much of a difference firing up a VPN or taking 5 seconds to update ublock before hitting Youtube :shrug:

Google/Alphabet will be ratcheting the price up guaranteed. They have to. That sweet, sweet monthly revenue is irresistible and after the profits flat-line (or don't rise enough) they will have no choice but to raise them again because of ~shareholder value~

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 31, 2023