Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Did something very, very stupid while trying to liquidate my stock of legendary shards.

I'm still not sure of the order I did it in, but I spent most of last night trying to get rid of legendary shards converting it to glimmer, so I upgraded a bunch of crafted weapons to L16 to get all the perks, and masterworked a bunch of old exotics in the vault, then rebought the ascendant shards and prisms, not noticing it costs you a few cores to buy prisms each time.

By the time I realised there was a problem I had burned through my entire stash of over 1000 cores.

It gets worse though, because I found a guide online that said you could buy blues from collections, upgrade them to 8 energy, dismantle them and you get twice the cores back. So I did that a few times, feeling very clever every time until the game informed me I was now out of prisms.

The core duplicating trick costs you a prism each time. That's fine if (like most people) you have too many prisms and not enough cores, and is probably why Bungie never bothered patching it. So I went back to Rahool and refilled my prisms until he complained I didn't have any cores left and that's about when I realised how astoundingly stupid I am.

It costs 3 cores and a prism to upgrade the blue, and you get 6 back, so you get 3 cores doing it. However it costs 10 cores to buy a prism. I hadn't noticed. Twice. I was just going back and forth between collections and Rahool assuming I'd hit on a way of stocking up on materials that was only costing me glimmer and legendary shards.

Instead, I burned through a full stack of prisms and about a thosand cores, and now only have about 60 cores left because I was not paying attention.

I'm going to be visiting Rahool daily and actually paying attention to Banshee's dailies until the end of the season, but gently caress me. Just thought a little schadenfreude might give someone a laugh.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol just cleared Crota. We died in last stand to his oversoul. I did 6 million damage to him, fired everything, killed him with the last shot in my hand cannon. Someone else did 300k. It was a rough first time through since D1 lmao, still fun though

I didn't get Necrochasm but someone else did :v:

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Goondolences.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

downgraded to bobby common i see

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol just cleared Crota. We died in last stand to his oversoul. I did 6 million damage to him, fired everything, killed him with the last shot in my hand cannon. Someone else did 300k. It was a rough first time through since D1 lmao, still fun though
I don't want to call out people who do low damage to bosses (because most of the time the damage isn't what wipes you), but some times you wipe and see someone did like 200k while everyone else did several million and you have to wonder if they just stand there shooting their primary all the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe they were using uh…. Divinity

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am at the point in the season when I am just picking random exotics and making builds around them. Here is one I've been enjoying, built around Lorentz Driver and Gyrfalcons: https://dim.gg/r32g24y/Gamma

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Usually it can be explained by Divinity or Tractor Cannon (although there's plenty of ways to do respectable damage to Crota on Tractor Cannon) but yeah sometimes you see someone just did really terrible damage with no utility weapon as an excuse and it's pretty much just what it seems like, they're just bad at doing damage and don't know or care to get better.

Usually it doesn't matter but really bad damage can extend the fight by a phase which gives a whole host of opportunities for things to get hosed up and people who are doing 300k to a raid boss aren't usually aceing the rest of the encounter.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 30, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I did a thing

This was not as hard as I had initially thought it was going to be. I've been dipping my toes into Trio's for a while doing different low man encounters with various goons like Squirellord, Kilranin and Yahiko mostly because I like raiding and why not make it harder? I enjoy completing difficult content and having a cute little button on my raid report motivates me as stupid as that is.

I started off with Kil duo-ing RoN because RoN is stupid easy and can be solo'd using the mechanics you already know from six manning it. Duo RoN 1 was a great introduction to dealing with all the adds and engaging in mechanics in a lowman space. Messed around VoG and stalled out at Templar with Squriel and Kil because we didn't really understand how to keep the damage going after you run out of ammo. I decided to try and take the plunge with Squirel and request a teacher/sherpa in the lowman server. One guy wanted to help but gave us to his friend who (whose name I forget but its one of the guys above) to sherpa us through a trios. Squirel unfortunately had to bail so teacher guy got a friend and off we went.

We were flawless until homie got negated during templar but we cleared everything first time through. For Templar, if you're flaw, you do rockets, if you're flawless, you use briars with Surrounded. The ammo economy was solved by using tangles and aeons to make heavy bricks during the previous encounters off champs and using scavs during templar to pick up the old bricks. Short of getting the ammo off, you can go to ability spam which is viable but just takes longer. You only get a certain number of cleanses so its sort of dealers choice if you want to do oracles or eat the negation and cleanse.

Gatekeepers you use stasis, blind or tractor to push the pretorian off and send ageis through the other side to sit there forever and kill everything. Pretty easy.

Atheon, you can do the warlock floaty thing to not get teleported which seems annoying, but a requirement if you want a flawless. if you don't care, you can just have someone die after DPS and pop the revive after you see the text about the timestreams or whatever. I think I would stall sherpa-ing on Atheon because I don't really understand how to get Verity's Brow set up and running but it was an easy two phase with the nade spam.

We gave flawless trios a few shots but got messy with stupid jumping/physics deaths so decided to call it.

This was overall alot of fun and really breaths some life into normal six man raids, particularly the older ones where the add density is a joke now or where you just kind of hang out unengaged. I'm looking forwards to learning RoN and probably GoS or KF next or possibly shooting for a flawless trios VoG.

The lowman server is running a bounty/activity to grow the community to help people get into lowmans so they're tracking trio/duo and flawless sherpa for their members right now. its a good time to try

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Getting negated shouldn't take away your flawless for everyone else in the raid. It's not like they were ever there to die :v:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Maybe they were using uh…. Divinity

He was not lmao. There were only two of us with above 60 res too, amazingly. Ir Yut was painful.

For a nice cooldown I got owned in Team Scorched real bad. How the gently caress are people getting the rockets to go at 90 degree angles into my scrotas

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 30, 2023

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Getting negated shouldn't take away your flawless for everyone else in the raid. It's not like they were ever there to die :v:

He was not lmao. There were only two of us with above 60 res too, amazingly. Ir Yut was painful.

For a nice cooldown I got owned in Team Scorched real bad. How the gently caress are people getting the rockets to go at 90 degree angles into my scrotas

If you hold down the trigger, the rocket will explode when you release it. It will even stick to walls when you do this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ponzicar posted:

If you hold down the trigger, the rocket will explode when you release it. It will even stick to walls when you do this.

I know, the rocket would be in mid-flight then go straight down onto me or take a hard left lmao

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Absolute bloodbath of layoffs at Bungie today (rip Hippy and SM lead Griffin Bennett, among others) and uhhhh TFS is delayed until JUNE. https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1719049303564386486?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Absolute bloodbath of layoffs at Bungie today (rip Hippy and SM lead Griffin Bennett, among others) and uhhhh TFS is delayed until JUNE. https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1719049303564386486?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

The Witness winnowed us again

Really though that sucks bad, gently caress

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmfao how long of a final season is that?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

yeah im thinking it's joever.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlapYoJacks posted:

Lmfao how long of a final season is that?

If they don't change anything else (and it's probably far too late for them to do so), season 23 will start at the end of November. 6-7 months depending on exactly when in June TFS ends up dropping

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Season of the Lost Pt II

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Well that is some depressing news :smith:.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

between layoffs (despite getting a billion dollars for employee retention) and not making any statement about the genocide in Palestine even though they put out a Ukraine emblem (lmfao) I’m mad at them. they’re posting cringe and they’re likely to loose subscriber

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That Sony deal sure worked out great.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

This seems really bad for a company that's supposed to be maintaining a live service game, especially one that should theoretically be paying for itself. Any idea if they just weren't pulling in enough money between the seasons/microtransactions of is this a case of they were making money, just not a Texas$$ amount and Sony decided to cut costs in an otherwise-profitable company?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No one knows more than what's in that article. There'll probably be a blog post about it in a few days now that the delay news leaked but they aren't going to post internal business projections

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

haveblue posted:

No one knows more than what's in that article. There'll probably be a blog post about it in a few days now that the delay news leaked but they aren't going to post internal business projections

I figured they wouldn't comment directly on that, but given the delay and layoffs I had been wondering if there were rumblings that they weren't doing well for one reason or another.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

The last couple seasons were the part of the plot where Bungie was stumbling and cussing during the gunfight, and this is the scene where they pull back their jacket to reveal the bullet wound.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but Bloomberg wording it as "Sony's Bungie division announced cuts" does make me wonder if it's Sony telling Bungie they need to cut back.

Then again the working atmosphere there has never been a shining example of healthy working life balance.

I mean also I'm reading Schrier's book at the moment and it does sadly seem like the usual thing for companies to fire a ton of people between projects.

Just for clarity, I think this is a horrible thing to do but it seems to be a reflection of the extreme financial pressure these companies are under nowadays.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, don't think it's too hard to read inbetween the lines what with the Last of Us MP game or Hyenas just getting outright cancelled.

Decisions made a few years back didn't pan out, and the economics for a bunch of multiplayer live service games doesn't look so hot now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jeeeeeeesus, that stings a lot.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

between layoffs (despite getting a billion dollars for employee retention) and not making any statement about the genocide in Palestine even though they put out a Ukraine emblem (lmfao) I’m mad at them. they’re posting cringe and they’re likely to loose subscriber

They haven’t said anything about the genocide happening in Palestine? What the gently caress.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

look at the CEO’s Twitter account and you start to see why lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

look at the CEO’s Twitter account and you start to see why lol

Oof. That’s really hosed up. :smith:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I did a thing

This was not as hard as I had initially thought it was going to be. I've been dipping my toes into Trio's for a while doing different low man encounters with various goons like Squirellord, Kilranin and Yahiko mostly because I like raiding and why not make it harder? I enjoy completing difficult content and having a cute little button on my raid report motivates me as stupid as that is.

I started off with Kil duo-ing RoN because RoN is stupid easy and can be solo'd using the mechanics you already know from six manning it. Duo RoN 1 was a great introduction to dealing with all the adds and engaging in mechanics in a lowman space. Messed around VoG and stalled out at Templar with Squriel and Kil because we didn't really understand how to keep the damage going after you run out of ammo. I decided to try and take the plunge with Squirel and request a teacher/sherpa in the lowman server. One guy wanted to help but gave us to his friend who (whose name I forget but its one of the guys above) to sherpa us through a trios. Squirel unfortunately had to bail so teacher guy got a friend and off we went.

We were flawless until homie got negated during templar but we cleared everything first time through. For Templar, if you're flaw, you do rockets, if you're flawless, you use briars with Surrounded. The ammo economy was solved by using tangles and aeons to make heavy bricks during the previous encounters off champs and using scavs during templar to pick up the old bricks. Short of getting the ammo off, you can go to ability spam which is viable but just takes longer. You only get a certain number of cleanses so its sort of dealers choice if you want to do oracles or eat the negation and cleanse.

Gatekeepers you use stasis, blind or tractor to push the pretorian off and send ageis through the other side to sit there forever and kill everything. Pretty easy.

Atheon, you can do the warlock floaty thing to not get teleported which seems annoying, but a requirement if you want a flawless. if you don't care, you can just have someone die after DPS and pop the revive after you see the text about the timestreams or whatever. I think I would stall sherpa-ing on Atheon because I don't really understand how to get Verity's Brow set up and running but it was an easy two phase with the nade spam.

We gave flawless trios a few shots but got messy with stupid jumping/physics deaths so decided to call it.

This was overall alot of fun and really breaths some life into normal six man raids, particularly the older ones where the add density is a joke now or where you just kind of hang out unengaged. I'm looking forwards to learning RoN and probably GoS or KF next or possibly shooting for a flawless trios VoG.

The lowman server is running a bounty/activity to grow the community to help people get into lowmans so they're tracking trio/duo and flawless sherpa for their members right now. its a good time to try

hell yeah man

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean let's be honest, the Final Shape delay is the least surprising thing in the world - they can't really afford to crap out another Lightfall-quality campaign for the closing chapter of their 10 year saga, or their reputation is going to be in the shitter even worse than it already is.

Beyond that, there's plenty of reason to think that Sony's big strategic bet on live service games landed with a dull thud and may not survive the upcoming leadership transition. With Bungie, in particular, I still can't imagine that Marathon as pitched is going to come anywhere close to capturing the mindshare that Destiny did. I've never seen how the suits could imagine Tarkov-likes/escape shooters are going to capture a mass audience. Their other in-development project, similarly, sounds kind of mediocre.

The layoffs suck rear end, though. These companies are raking in more revenue than ever and the execs are arguably less deserving of their inflated salaries than they've ever been.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The real takeaway is that the game is actually done after TFS, despite what they told us. Or their ‘modular content’ or whatever the hell they called it is going to be threadbare or written by machine learning.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also, Halo 5 is starting to scratch the D2 itch concerning PvP. They are listening to criticism and investing a lot of resources into the game, and it has consistently become better with each passing season.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I feel like the chances of Bungie repeating what they did before, finishing what they set out to do with their series (Halo/Destiny), then handing it off to get out of the ownership deal with their new baby intact (Destiny/Marathon) just got a lot higher.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Firebert posted:

The real takeaway is that the game is actually done after TFS, despite what they told us. Or their ‘modular content’ or whatever the hell they called it is going to be threadbare or written by machine learning.

Ehhhhhh let's calm down. This isn't like actual devs got laid off. Yes Bungie is bad at deadlines as usual but we will have to........*sigh* wait and see.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gonna be a fun this week in destiny because they sure as hell were not planning on talking about this but now they kinda have to. Doubly so that the people that write them got fired lol.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RBX posted:

Ehhhhhh, let's calm down. This isn't like actual devs got laid off. Yes, Bungie is bad at deadlines, as usual, but we will have to........*sigh* wait and see.

The amount of content hasn't just decreased over the last three years; the quality of said content has also been drastically reduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Firebert posted:

The real takeaway is that the game is actually done after TFS, despite what they told us.

That was pretty obvious yeah