Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The folks at the USDA pork inspection program aren’t happy with me. Oh well, I’ll keep eating that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

Americans overpay for shittier quality food in general, our quality of life is bullshit. At least we have a hundred different selections of toothpaste in the grocery store

some lib at a party was trying to tell me that china didn't actually lift hundreds of millions out of poverty, they just lie about it. when I visited in 2007 it was already better than america for normal people and has only gotten better and better. libs are such a bunch of cucks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The folks at the USDA pork inspection program aren’t happy with me. Oh well, I’ll keep eating that garbage.

please, it's called the New Swine Inspection System

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Maed posted:

some lib at a party was trying to tell me that china didn't actually lift hundreds of millions out of poverty, they just lie about it. when I visited in 2007 it was already better than america for normal people and has only gotten better and better. libs are such a bunch of cucks

The mask off nationalism and sinophobia among libs over the last five or six years has really been something to behold. It's always been there, but pretending that you're not a nationalist freak was a core part of American liberalism barely twenty years ago.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Justin Tyme posted:

Americans overpay for shittier quality food in general, our quality of life is bullshit. At least we have a hundred different selections of toothpaste in the grocery store

narrator: it's all the same toothpaste

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Justin Tyme posted:

I've been in Mexico for the past week or so and it's absolutely nuts how the stuff you buy from a tamale cart would easily be $10-20 at a decent Mexican place at home

All our food is poison lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

I've been in Mexico for the past week or so and it's absolutely nuts how the stuff you buy from a tamale cart would easily be $10-20 at a decent Mexican place at home

All our food is poison lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Re6pZri8Gw

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

loquacius posted:

The whole thing with Robinhood literally forbidding people from buying Gamestop or whatever should have acted as proof that the house always wins and the market people will break their own rules whenever they feel the need to but I see redditors are still throwing their money away at get-rich-quick schemes
Not only that but the reddit stonk guys
1) Know that Robinhood banned buying Gamestop, and
2) Believe that this was to rig it against the little guy and protect the hedge funds' short positions and keep GME from going to the moon
And then they still all believed there's in an infinite money glitch so if you buy and hold a crumbling retailer's stock, the rules will force hedge funds to pay you a trillion dollars even though the last time this happened the hedgies just said "lol. no."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's what happens when you acknowledge reality but reach the wrong conclusions, so you end up thinking "the game is rigged but I can outsmart it."

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If you don't, then you have to admit that the game is hopelessly rigged and that there's nothing you can do about it. And that directly contradicts the central myth holding American society together

MMania
May 7, 2008
Isn’t the correct response to finding out our system is rigged to impoverish as many people as possible excitement? That means someday you will definitely be able to buy a 6th mansion while your employees die hungry and homeless!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the 'correct' response, in that it is the response you are intended to have as a rational actor, is "okay well if i just keep my head down and fly under the radar for 45 years maybe i can keep a few of the nice things I like"

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Paradoxish posted:

It's what happens when you acknowledge reality but reach the wrong conclusions, so you end up thinking "the game is rigged but I can outsmart it."
I think its more like Sovereign Citizen thinking. Not being able to accept at a fundamental level that rules can just be broken by the powerful, so instead dreaming up an elaborate set of alternative rules that you somehow expect others to adhere to.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The short squeeze thing was basically true, but this is the stock market, favorable conditions like that never last very long, this is a thing people try to game by shaving off milliseconds of response time any way they can. You're not going to sit on something that long in a financial market.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nothus posted:

If you don't, then you have to admit that the game is hopelessly rigged and that there's nothing you can do about it. And that directly contradicts the central myth holding American society together

Well, that’s not really true, is it? There’s nothing you can do without confronting the sociopolitical order the game is part of, but paradoxically even these discontent Americans still believe in the socioeconomic system it emerges from, they would just like to reshuffle where they, specifically, stand in it.

It’s very similar to the “compromise” worked out in 1968 where America saw cultural and social liberalization while leaving all structures intact. More women in boardrooms, black millionaires, gay people on TV, but nothing really changed.

It’s like those medieval upheavals in say the 11th century where peasants would revolt, as a compromise a small group of them would be ennobled, and 200s years later the descendants of whatever great peasant leader were just as inbred and corrupt because shuffling the deck of the feudal order does not address its problems.

It happened in the Arab world so much a muslim historian developed a theory of decadence explaining the dynastic cycle. A lot of what we “know” about decadence comes from this book being translated by 18th century liberals who spouted it to justify why monarchies needed to be replaced with republics, where they would be in charge. It’s a theory you hear alt right people today talk about, hard times, hard men and all that, but without a basis in materialism and without any intention to change the system it’s just romanticism.

Weren’t there whole Chinese Imperial Dynasties that started with peasant revolts? Yes you can say a particular ruling dynasty was decadent and the game was rigged under them, but then if you replace them with another dynasty… well same thing happens because the exploitation of the peasantry is systemic, not characterological.

So the whole WSB thing was that American capitalism, reliance on stock valuation and all, would remain, but (some) people would join the investor class without going to Yale.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Not only that but the reddit stonk guys
1) Know that Robinhood banned buying Gamestop, and
2) Believe that this was to rig it against the little guy and protect the hedge funds' short positions and keep GME from going to the moon
And then they still all believed there's in an infinite money glitch so if you buy and hold a crumbling retailer's stock, the rules will force hedge funds to pay you a trillion dollars even though the last time this happened the hedgies just said "lol. no."

people had a real opportunity to make money on both Gamestop and BBBY, but rather than selling for 5x or 10x gains they held on forever and lost all their money

I'm not sure there's a real moral lesson about the little guy or the system or any of that, it's just idiots who kept putting it all on black until they eventually lost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

people had a real opportunity to make money on both Gamestop and BBBY, but rather than selling for 5x or 10x gains they held on forever and lost all their money

that was the best part

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not sure there's a real moral lesson about the little guy or the system or any of that, it's just idiots who kept putting it all on black until they eventually lost

For every person who made money there's a bag holder on the other side of that transaction. The current BBBY/superstonk/ppshow audience are serial bag holders who probably bought in when GME was $50+

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder what those kids think of being on that show now that they are adults

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Probably whatever you still think about your 5th grade program. Which is to say, not at all.

Although their parents probably forced a few of them into some commercials so who really knows.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mustached Demon posted:

narrator: it's all the same company

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
watching my company fall apart in real time because of interest rates is so funny. im gonna be unemployed. thousands of ppl are gonna be unemployed. but its just so loving stupid.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

watching my company fall apart in real time because of interest rates is so funny. im gonna be unemployed. thousands of ppl are gonna be unemployed. but its just so loving stupid.

funemployment ftw

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
yeah it was super clear from how RH and other brokerages acted that the house always wins, idk why you'd stick with it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

anime was right posted:

will the shareholders be ok?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

i think most (at least on reddit) were self-aware that they're dumb, can't outsmart the system, and going to be eating out of a wendy's dumpster, but it's also a YOLO because there's very little ways to escape wage slavery. either go big or go broke.

basically it's all treated as a lottery for people with slightly more money than the people who buy scratchers, with marginally higher chances of Going Big

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah crypto is basically the same. The idea on any of this stuff is that you're gonna get a huge return on a one time investment for like the majority of people getting into it. But it's also a lotto you can check in with every day (not anymore for the Bed Bath and Beyond guys but crypto still going strong)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Xaris posted:

i think most (at least on reddit) were self-aware that they're dumb, can't outsmart the system, and going to be eating out of a wendy's dumpster, but it's also a YOLO because there's very little ways to escape wage slavery. either go big or go broke.

basically it's all treated as a lottery for people with slightly more money than the people who buy scratchers, with marginally higher chances of Going Big

You can win the lottery.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It is funny how they have intuitively grasp the importance of solidarity but the only unified action they can imagine is buying a product.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Like the odds of winning the lottery aren't really comparable to the odds of BBBY issuing magic new shares in Gmerica, a merger of BBBY and GME formed by Ryan Cohen and Carl Ichan.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
still glad I sold my Rivian stocks the day they vested at $36

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Salt Fish posted:

Like the odds of winning the lottery aren't really comparable to the odds of BBBY issuing magic new shares in Gmerica, a merger of BBBY and GME formed by Ryan Cohen and Carl Ichan.

they're pretty loving close for all normal plebian purposes. you can dump tens of thousands on scratchers or powerballs and end up with precisely $0 that you can't even write off as losses. or you can spend tens of thousands on crypto or MRNA or NVDA or TSLA and have a higher chance of going to da moon. at least you don't have a total loss on tsla or buttcoins

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Salt Fish posted:

yeah, it’s gonna be called Teddy, and it’s 100% guaranteed. have you not seen the tweet about the texas rangers? don’t know what more you could need.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Vox Nihili posted:

hey you still left tankbuster on probation for a week

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

hey you still left tankbuster on probation for a week

I asked FD to undo it, I can't do admin stuff like removing probes myself.

Oct 30, 2023
so like a 4 day bankruptcy?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

anime was right posted:

no recession though. soft landing achieved.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

no recession though. soft landing achieved.

A soft landing is when the rich land on a giant pile of
Poor/ middle-class corpses

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

anime was right posted:

yeah i'm on the unemployment phase of that myself, and it owns

Believe it or not, the company is circling the drain, even though they canned everyone that previously made it profitable and fast growing! You'd think that would have worked, huh?

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 30, 2023
the recession of the last 9 years has been insane. what's the wealth floor at these days? 50 million in savings? 10,000 versus 9 billion?