Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Who thought it would be a smart idea to do the exact same jump scare dozens of times until the player is sick of them

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I think Alan Wake 2 is very fun, and only a little scary.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Yeah the jump scares are a major negative. It gets annoying after a point

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
is there a good video to catch up on the events of quantum break? that one's the only huge gaping hole i have in my lore knowledge

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I think the increased jump scares in that section make sense narratively as there’s more charged emotion from the antagonist, but there was still too much of it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Al! posted:

is there a good video to catch up on the events of quantum break? that one's the only huge gaping hole i have in my lore knowledge

I think you're good without it tbh, Remedy doesn't own QB iirc so they can't tie it in. See also Max Payne

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

I think you're good without it tbh, Remedy doesn't own QB iirc so they can't tie it in. See also Max Payne

normally id go oh, ok, except alex casey is max payne, alex even makes references to it, if obliquely. no way id know if i hadnt played the poo poo out of max payne.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Barudak posted:

Depending on however the gently caress the dark presence's stupid made up bullshit powers work those two guys shot an innocent woman then covered up the murder

Isn't that part of the edit too? I'll have to reread the page but my guess is that originally it was going to be them fighting the Taken and Scratch was like "lol no you shot an innocent woman. Enjoy being everything wrong with small town fucks"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Isn't that part of the edit too? I'll have to reread the page but my guess is that originally it was going to be them fighting the Taken and Scratch was like "lol no you shot an innocent woman. Enjoy being everything wrong with small town fucks"

it’s not said outright but yeah Milligan/Thornton and especially Cynthia feel like Scratch spitefully loving them up as payback for the help they gave to Alan in the first game

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

it’s not said outright but yeah Milligan/Thornton and especially Cynthia feel like Scratch spitefully loving them up as payback for the help they gave to Alan in the first game

Cynthia just felt mean too, she didn't even do anything wrong. Just "whoops I stole your lamp and your taking a bath which basically gives me power over you, haha." I think it mentions she'd let her fear and age get the best of her but still, drat.

Probably a bit character sidenote but is there a reason nobody likes Vlad Blum? Everyone around the rest home but Ahti sort of dislikes him, Ahti still takes his stuff, and as near as I can tell Vlad is dead in the basement with a knife in his eye and no pages around explain his situation. I think he just joined the cult of the tree to try to be cool, and I felt bad for him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Al! posted:

normally id go oh, ok, except alex casey is max payne, alex even makes references to it, if obliquely. no way id know if i hadnt played the poo poo out of max payne.

It's the same kind of deal with Mr. Hatch from Quantum Break and Mr. Doors in Alan Wake 2.

Near as I can tell, a version of Quantum Break is canon to Alan Wake and Control, but like Max Payne and Alex Casey it's a version where names and likenesses were switched around for legal reasons cause they don't own the IP.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Al! posted:

There's a few summaries on Youtube but they all seem to have pretty awful narration from the uploader, couldn't find a decent one. TBH I'd either go for a text summary or just watch an LP or something if you really don't want to play it. A big part of what is special about QB is the presentation, so if you aren't interested in that side of it then you can probably just skip it entirely and leave the few callbacks that pop up in Control & AW2 as mysterious Remedy-isms. I'd just grab it for a few bucks when it's on sale or play it on PC/Xbox Gamepass when you have the time to spare and at least give it a few hours to see if you hate it or not.

Ppl seem to despise it but IMO Quantum Break is a really solid game that has some really neat setpieces and some satisfying combat once you get a better grasp on what it is and isn't trying to do with it. It's Remedy doing a straight-faced sci-fi action thriller and mostly pulling it off IMO, though it does definitely feel like the most restrained game they've done when it comes to the typical Remedy style. It seems like the combat is what is most divisive, but honestly the combat in every Remedy game that isn't Max Payne always seems to piss some significant part of the playerbase off one way or another. Even Control (imo) shits the bed by the last third with the level/scaling stuff, along with having a really half-baked RNG loot system that serves only to be almost completely pointless and introduce busywork the game sorely did not need.

Once you get the shifter powers pretty early and start playing way more aggressively QB started to click for me. By the mid-point of the game it just felt like playing a more fleshed out version of the Vanguard from Mass Effect, while sitting back in cover and trying to play slow & high-precision was mostly either boring or punished mechanically outside of a handful of big maps where the long-distance rifle serves more of a purpose. Once I just decided to play super aggressively always, everything worked a lot better. The boss battles are still kinda poo poo, but no more poo poo than they often were in Alan Wake or Control.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The quantum break connection isn't that hard.

Tim(e) Break.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think quantum break is mainly interesting as a look at ideas they implemented much better in Control

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I still think Control is their best game but mostly because I found the combat in AW2 to veer between 'fine' to 'boring.' Control isn't exactly mind-blowing but being a cool psychic magic space lady is a lot more compelling when you're fighting as often as you do, whereas I honestly think I'd have enjoyed AW2 more if it was just a spooky adventure game.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The jump scares in this game are cool fun different to any other game I've played and get my motor running

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This game is fun and all but it'd be great if I could loving save

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I still think Control is their best game but mostly because I found the combat in AW2 to veer between 'fine' to 'boring.' Control isn't exactly mind-blowing but being a cool psychic magic space lady is a lot more compelling when you're fighting as often as you do, whereas I honestly think I'd have enjoyed AW2 more if it was just a spooky adventure game.

i took someone's advice to just turn down the combat to the lowest difficulty in alan wake 1 and it was the right decision. i did the same for alan wake 2. on control i play on the highest difficulty because fully upgraded she can throw chunks of concrete that can kill god

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm liking Alan Wake 2's combat a lot more than Control's just because it's more side dish than entree. Control's combat is definitely more engaging but I didn't think it was well executed enough to support all the weight it had to bear. Whereas Alan Wake 2's combat is pretty basic but it's just there to support a much better overall package. I'm at least not letting out deep sighs of resignation every time an encounter starts like I did with Control.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I needed to play on Hard in AW1 to keep myself from dozing off mid-combat and foolishly assumed that trend would continue

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the combat is OK except for boss fights where its either just a more annoying version of the in-game combat, or it takes a total dive into a glitchy mess (mainly the third boss)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Control also does not have Mayor Setter and is therfore the inferior game.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

acksplode posted:

I'm liking Alan Wake 2's combat a lot more than Control's just because it's more side dish than entree. Control's combat is definitely more engaging but I didn't think it was well executed enough to support all the weight it had to bear. Whereas Alan Wake 2's combat is pretty basic but it's just there to support a much better overall package. I'm at least not letting out deep sighs of resignation every time an encounter starts like I did with Control.

Yeah I suspect if I hadn't turned it down to story difficulty I would have gotten frustrated again and just quit. Remedy does a lot of things that are amazing but...combat and encounter design isn't really one of them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Here is a spoiler for "when the best time to mop up the collectables" is.

do it before a mission where you have to meet up with a federal agent at the sheriff's office. You do get free time after that but by then the game turns to night and makes exploration harder. Also when it's that point in the game you can get the Mayor Setter charm which shows all collectables near you on the map

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Control also does not have Mayor Setter and is therfore the inferior game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Here is a spoiler for "when the best time to mop up the collectables" is.

do it before a mission where you have to meet up with a federal agent at the sheriff's office. You do get free time after that but by then the game turns to night and makes exploration harder. Also when it's that point in the game you can get the Mayor Setter charm which shows all collectables near you on the map

is there a ng+ where i dont even have to think about collectables? im maybe halfway done and already want to go in and experience some of the set pieces again (and also look closer at the dialogue)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think they said they'd add NG+ (and new story stuff?) post-release.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I really like the original music they made for the game. I think so far the Chapter 2 ending theme, "Wide Awake" is my favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpVTMGTWdH0

i do too, it's weird how you can't have the music play while you look at other things in the memory palace though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lawman 0 posted:

How does this run on pc?

I have a middling cpu (5600x) and 16 gig ram and a nice video card (4070ti) and it's gorgeous and locked 60fps with everything on max.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

ImpAtom posted:

I'm in complete agreement. I was itching to get into fights in Control because gently caress you, I'm a Jedi with a magic gun and I say it's time to eat a forklift. In AW2 I've been mostly sighing at the boss fights because I know I'm going to die to some bullshit, probably a few times, before I figure out what the trick is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

site posted:

oh jeeze, i thought it meant the beach lol thanks

i spent ages on the beach too lol, you need to go up the path and start exploring.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a recommended order to do the chapters in?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Is there a recommended order to do the chapters in?

I think it is best to just alternate.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. Alternating between chapters is best.

You can change the character mid-chapter, but that would be narratively jarring.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just hit the most terrifying section Finnish singing coming from inside a janitor's office :ohdear:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd recommend that when you first get access to Alan you play him for about... twenty minutes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Issaries posted:

Yeah. Alternating between chapters is best.

You can change the character mid-chapter, but that would be narratively jarring.

When we say chapters we mean everything the song/credits play, right?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

PriorMarcus posted:

When we say chapters we mean everything the song/credits play, right?

That works. You can do post credit exploration of the 'solved' areas before changing, but not recommending going to next area.

Both characters have to explore:

3 areas.
Wake got 3 murder scenes
Saga got 3 Map areas
Completing each is a natural break point.

Or you can just do whatever feels natural break point in story.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Imagine if they made Alan Wake a video game designer, and Nightingale called him American McGee and Richard Garriot and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just hit the most terrifying section Finnish singing coming from inside a janitor's office :ohdear:

not terrifying, hes always a friendly face