Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I dont think there is any such thing as a "cheap" fullframe mirrorless, just certain cameras are cheaper than others.

You can get cheaper fullframe DSLR's. MPB.com has Canon 5D MK 1's for like $180 and MK 2's for $300-ish

If you don't mind the weight the 1Ds Mk II is still a wonderful camera. Killer autofocus and a great sensor.

Just saw 1D Mk IV are cheap now too. 1.3x crop but still a crazy good wildlife camera if you stick a decent lens on it. I used one with a 500/4 + 1.4x for a long time and it loving delivered every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Photography dollars aren’t real. Just buy that gear. You only have so many days on earth to take photos.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you ever worry photography is too expensive a hobby, ask a Warhammer fan how much they spend a year.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was unaware of MPB and it's sent me down a rabbit hole. I haven't seriously refreshed my gear in over a decade. Looking covetously at some of the Z6s/Z7s now.

It also made me check out the shutter count on my venerable D90. A breath away from touching 200,000; which is probably not a lot for some of you, but feels pleasing to me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I don't think GAS would allow me to get a camera up to a 200k shutter count.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't think GAS would allow me to get a camera up to a 200k shutter count.

Yeah, you are supposed to take 15-20 test pictures of your cat, analyze them carefully at 200%, then put the camera away and start browsing the rumor sites reading about the next one which will definitely be the one you need.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
You're also supposed to buy 10 bundles of the same body + lens combo, test all of them to find the pair with the smallest manufacturing variations, and sell the rest at a loss on eBay.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Being bad at taking photos so your keeper rate is abysmal plus acquiring a 10fps camera via GAS is a great way to rack up the shutter count, I've put 20k on my D500 since July :v: nvm I badly mis-remembered the specs on my MPB order, I'm barely at 8k

FBS fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 28, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve already told myself I’m gonna shoot the 5d classic for a couple years before I look at a newer 5d, mainly so the prices can come down a bit

We’ll see how well that works….

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I collected pennies in my savings account during Canon's dark age where they were the butt of everyone's joke because I felt they'd eventually turn it around. Then the R5 hit and I bought it and I'll be keeping that thing until it can't camera no more. Ideally it'd make it 10 years but I'm not kidding myself, after the 5 year mark the GAS sets in bad.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

DanTheFryingPan posted:

You're also supposed to buy 10 bundles of the same body + lens combo, test all of them to find the pair with the smallest manufacturing variations, and sell the rest at a loss on eBay.

I know a guy who went through at least four of the Sigma 35 1.4 art lenses when they first came out. He finally got one that met his standards and then promptly sold it six months later because he wanted something else.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The photography circle of life

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Brrrmph posted:

I know a guy who went through at least four of the Sigma 35 1.4 art lenses when they first came out. He finally got one that met his standards and then promptly sold it six months later because he wanted something else.

Thank god for dudes like this

I love buying their poo poo

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

For a while back in the early 2000a or so buying Sigma lenses was really playing Russian roulette. I went through a number of Sigma 50/1.4 copies in hopes of finding the magic combination of accurate focusing and sharpness. Ended up giving up in the end; one copy that frontfocused at portrait distances went to Sigma and after their calibration it backfocused severely at longer distances. A shame since it was sharp as all hell when it did nail focus. Which was rarely.

I honestly don’t know how Sigmas are these days on DSLRs since going mirrorless has pretty much made the focusing inaccuracies irrelevant.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

FBS posted:

Being bad at taking photos so your keeper rate is abysmal plus acquiring a 10fps camera via GAS is a great way to rack up the shutter count, I've put 20k on my D500 since July :v: nvm I badly mis-remembered the specs on my MPB order, I'm barely at 8k
There's always focus stacking--that lets you efficiently take 150 shots per shot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Thank god for dudes like this

I love buying their poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/EERIKRF.mp4

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Buying used stuff from dentists owns

I bought my gfx for like 2000 dollars off and it still had firmware 1.0 and had taken fewer than 100 photos

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My 5D classic arrived today, after MPB.com said it wouldn’t be here till Wednesday, so that’s nice.

Holy crap is this thing chunky and solid. I’ve never held a canon pro camera before but this is dense as hell compared to my t3i and previous rebel xs.

And the shutter sound, that solid *thunk* is so good and feels like my ME Super in that regard.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

My 5D classic arrived today, after MPB.com said it wouldn’t be here till Wednesday, so that’s nice.

Holy crap is this thing chunky and solid. I’ve never held a canon pro camera before but this is dense as hell compared to my t3i and previous rebel xs.

And the shutter sound, that solid *thunk* is so good and feels like my ME Super in that regard.

I have to say, marvelling at my 5D2 and having a screen and all masked the fact that nothing ever touched the joy of that OG 5D.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I honestly don’t know how Sigmas are these days on DSLRs since going mirrorless has pretty much made the focusing inaccuracies irrelevant.

I shoot the 35mm 1.4 art on Nikon DSLR. The lens is just lovely when it hits. The sacrifice is a higher percentage of out of focus shots, so I overshoot during portrait sessions to make sure I’m getting some in focus. But that lens is also over 10 years old at this point and I’ve read that the newer released lenses are more reliable.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

One of the best sounds in the world.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

One of the best sounds in the world.

Just wait until you hear a Hassy or Mamiya RB :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So, I sort of went in to this 5D Classic not really believing the hype from everyone saying they shoot phenomenal JPEGS out of the camera, but.............wow. Just the throwaway garbage JPEGS I've taken while learning the camera have a look that I'd struggle to hit with my T3i and some serious Lightroom work.

drat, the hype was real

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’m not Canon user. Is the 5D classic the Mark I?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep, the OG from 2008

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Just wait until you hear a Hassy or Mamiya RB :D

Chunkiest shutter sound is the Bronica S2

https://i.imgur.com/Aibau1V.mp4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't be using that camera around any presidents, jeez.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yep, the OG from 2008

Nice. Those older full frames are still great cameras.

Megabound posted:

That is dense sounding. Kind of reminds me of the Nikon D3.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Megabound posted:

Is it possible to shoot a sharp image with a 5lb shutter flapping around? Sheesh

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is it possible to shoot a sharp image with a 5lb shutter flapping around? Sheesh

The design on these shutters is very interesting. The main clunk is actually the mirror returning, and it's a descending mirror, pivoting at the front and going down instead of up. Once the mirror drops down a cover plate shoots over putting all of the force at a right angle to the film plane instead of tangential. This actually reduces shutter shake, and I can handhold this camera comfortably as 1/30th and still get sharp photos.

The descending mirror allows for a shorter flange distance, so you end up with a more compact camera. This was Bronica's answer to the Hasselblad 500CM and imo it's a better camera.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 30, 2023

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

you need a polarizing filter and a chill pill
I have chill pills, I'll go with a polarizing filter and continue only taking the smallest possible dose of Xanax to quell anxiety and panic attacks.

On a completely different subject, what's the best way to capture paper stop-motion animation without getting shadows on the background? Will a ring flash alone do it or should I use lighting from the sides to eliminate shadows?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
You need to independently light the backdrop from behind/ to the side of the subject.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone have recommendations for gloves to wear while shooting? Its starting to get cold here in Wisconsin, especially at night, and I still wanna shoot outside. Plus the 5D Mk1's magnesium body gets cold as an ice cube outside.

I need something that can keep my fingers warm but also still allow me to use the camera. Thankfully the camera is too ancient to have a touchscreen, so touch-gloves are not a requirement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If money is no object, vallerret goves are what you look up.

If you just want cheap and good enough, I've worn these for like 6 years and they're just about perfect: https://www.amazon.com/FoxRiver-Layer-Glomitt-Brown-Medium/dp/B000V57ENU/r

Keeping in mind I tend to run hot in the cold, they've worked well for me into negative Fahrenheit temps.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for gloves to wear while shooting? Its starting to get cold here in Wisconsin, especially at night, and I still wanna shoot outside. Plus the 5D Mk1's magnesium body gets cold as an ice cube outside.

I need something that can keep my fingers warm but also still allow me to use the camera. Thankfully the camera is too ancient to have a touchscreen, so touch-gloves are not a requirement.

Golf mittens.

https://www.amazon.com/FINGER-TEN-W...yY2hfYXRm&psc=1

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

xzzy posted:

vallerret

Holy poo poo why are these so expensive.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
Not sure if these actually exist, but is there such a thing as a programmable led flash that can ramp up and down smoothly rather than just firing off in one sharp burst? For example, if I wanted to take a long exposure shot that had motion trails before and after a main flash burst, rather than just first or second curtain, does a flash exist that could be programmed with brightness/power levels over time that looked like a bell curve with a spike in the middle to achieve such an effect?

Like so:

Am I dreaming, or is this possible?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s probably possible with a DMX controller and light, but that’s also probably $$$$

I’m sure you could do this with an arduino/raspberry pi and an appropriate light array

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Probably easier to do it with two lights, one that ramps up and down, and one timed to fire in the middle. Probably some sort of led panel for the gradual phase, and a flash for the … well, flash. Make sure their color temps match. I know nothing of how to control it, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just tell an AI to add the effects to your photo afterward :mrgw: