Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

credburn posted:

My grandfather married a woman from Costa Rica before I was born and I grew up thinking that made me half Mexican

Close enough. I’m about 1/4 Mexican American Indian and the rest European but born in the States so I’m basically just a dirty beaner to vast majority of people who care about these things.
I’d never identify as French even if most of me comes from that old shithole.
Humans will try to figure out any way possible to elevate themselves compared to the next guy for status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Canada's very own Rachel Dolezal

And Iron Eyes Cody, and Sacheen Littlefeather, and

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Sound:

https://i.imgur.com/RUPtIBV.mp4

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

canyoneer posted:

It happened again
https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/buffy-sainte-marie

Indigenous Canadian celebrity turns out to be Italian American

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Canada's very own Rachel Dolezal

"Eh"chel Dolezal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Really Rachel Dolezal is American's own pretendian. Probably the most stolen ethnic identity in the Americas.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

zoux posted:

Really Rachel Dolezal is American's own pretendian. Probably the most stolen ethnic identity in the Americas.

quote:

Rachel Dolezal (born 1977)[53][54] – Although Dolezal is better known for claiming to be African-American, she began her career claiming to be Native American, telling people that she was born in a tipi and grew up hunting for food with bows and arrows.

Did not know this about her.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hippocrass posted:

Did not know this about her.

Did she start her career in 2nd grade? Cause that's the kind of bullshit we'd tell each other on the bus and even then didn't believe it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I asked my dad when I was a little kid how old he was when he could grow a full beard, he said "I don't think I could grow a full beard today, we have too much Indian blood" and so for years I thought I was partially Native American. I didn't do anything about it, it was just something I took as a fact until some years when I got older and thought about it and determined he was either wrong or loving with me. But the idea that people might in good faith think that they have some quantum of indian heritage isn't that outlandish for me. Of course building an entire career on it and speaking from a position of authority, and taking resources and grants set aside for native americans exceeds that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

My grandpa was native and he never tried to pass on anything cultural at all. He would barely acknowledge it.

Like one of my aunts did a genealogy thing to try and figure out where abouts he came from cause he'd never talk about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zoux posted:

Not even Canadian

The Reverse Zodiac

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/qJxnsLc.mp4

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

canyoneer posted:

It happened again
https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/buffy-sainte-marie

Indigenous Canadian celebrity turns out to be Italian American

Every time this happens I have to wonder how the hell people get away with this for so long considering how easy it is to discredit. Most of the time all someone would have had to do was talk to like one family member who would tell them "Nah, she's Italian as hell".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

zoux posted:

I asked my dad when I was a little kid how old he was when he could grow a full beard, he said "I don't think I could grow a full beard today, we have too much Indian blood"

Strange! Indian beards are pretty Sikh!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

But the idea that people might in good faith think that they have some quantum of indian heritage isn't that outlandish for me

I've heard that darker skinned white people in the US used to claim Indian heritage because it was seen as less shameful than African American or Latino. Like a few generations later your 1/4 black grandma might tell you that your great grandma was a Cherokee princess or some poo poo.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
My grandpa had me convinced we had a black member of the family growing up. I was in college and still telling people I was an octoroon (no, I know! That’s what my grandpa said, it’s crazy right?) when I finally figured it out

He just thought octoroon was a funny word and enjoyed using it. He was also fond of telling waitresses he was the TITular head of the family.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

What a strange spätzle

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

deoju posted:

I've heard that darker skinned white people in the US used to claim Indian heritage because it was seen as less shameful than African American or Latino. Like a few generations later your 1/4 black grandma might tell you that your great grandma was a Cherokee princess or some poo poo.

That's pretty much the exact story of filmmaker Rebecca Hall
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Hall

Her Pretendian ancestor performed in wild west shows as a "Sioux chief".
Learning about her family's concealed Black heritage is part of what interested her in adapting the book Passing into an excellent movie.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

deoju posted:

Okay but why did my hella white hella dead grandmother pretend to be Native American? Nowadays I just let people lie about it but from grade school on through high school I would straight up call kids liars about being Native American. It's such a popular lie it's mind boggling

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

deoju posted:

My grandmother was showing me pictures of a bunch of my ancestors and she pointed to a distant grandparent saying "she's so dark, she must be Italian!". I didn't have the heart to tell more than likely that's where that high percentage of African came from in her DNA test.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Push El Burrito posted:

My grandmother was showing me pictures of a bunch of my ancestors and she pointed to a distant grandparent saying "she's so dark, she must be Italian!". I didn't have the heart to tell more than likely that's where that high percentage of African came from in her DNA test.

She’d be delighted to know that she’s a descendent of Scipio Africanus.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

bossy lady posted:

Every time this happens I have to wonder how the hell people get away with this for so long considering how easy it is to discredit. Most of the time all someone would have had to do was talk to like one family member who would tell them "Nah, she's Italian as hell".

If you read the story, multiple family members did! Other people noticed, too. She ran into her (light haired) brother while with a PBS executive, and the PBS exec later contacted her brother to ask if they were full blood siblings.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If you read the story, multiple family members did! Other people noticed, too. She ran into her (light haired) brother while with a PBS executive, and the PBS exec later contacted her brother to ask if they were full blood siblings.

And then her lawyers sent a threatening note to her brother about it, so the family decided not to make any noise about it so she wouldn't sue them.

And back in the 1960s her uncle wrote a letter trying to set the record straight that was published in a local paper, but never got picked up or noticed as she became more popular nationally.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.io/y3nXuvd.mp4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My wife's grandmother had an "indian princess" story in her lineage, but when she was younger in the 50s or something she had her own great aunt set the story straight. Gommie's great-great grandmother was Nipmuc, but she was a prostitute who got pregnant from the scion of a hoity-toity old-money family and they raised the kid. Never actually claimed to be Native, it was more of a "even old money has dumb stories they're ashamed of" thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/wIOtts6.mp4

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Where's the shade? That's just a badass dog

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Dogs are so fuckin rude, let the bear eat

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

derp posted:

Where's the shade? That's just a badass dog

The schad is on the bear, friend.

The shade is back under the trees.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Literally why siba inu were bred

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Food Boner posted:

Literally why siba inu were bred

To be eaten by the bears, surely.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The local Texas Roadhouse has a giant Iron Eyes Cody painting on their wall.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Baron von Eevl posted:

"even old money has dumb stories they're ashamed of" thing.

I...
Um

Where do I start?

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/sC3zStI.mp4

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jeebus bob posted:

I...
Um

Where do I start?

Yeah, what's even the point of being old money if you don't have a web of family secrets that you have to conceal, like a possessed cousin kept behind hidden doors in the tower of your old gothic mansion whose nightly howling is the reason why the villagers think your family is cursed and haunted.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

lmao

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, what's even the point of being old money if you don't have a web of family secrets that you have to conceal, like a possessed cousin kept behind hidden doors in the tower of your old gothic mansion whose nightly howling is the reason why the villagers think your family is cursed and haunted.
It's also like... how do you think old money became old money? Fairy wishes?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Took me a few loops to see what was happening here. Did a dog just shoot across the road? Did someone toss out a stuffed dog at an inopportune moment?

No, doggo just seen too much Mission: Impossible.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Aaaaaaaaand gently caress......

You! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The members of the Brotherhood would call that an air assassination.