Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont think anyone even stopped to think for a moment if you can even snipe witches

ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oftimes I think about how, on the first video broadcast decades, Quistis tells Squall that has permission to deviate from his mission parameters and save her.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Weird IPv6 address.

Gonna spoof my MAC address to BD:1F:F5:BD:2B:D1

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Meowywitch posted:

is it an officially licensed product?

Yep! Part of NTT's licensed series from the mid-90s, so things that definitely got access to art/planning docs and had a review pass by Square.

There's rather a lot of writing on the JP wiki at https://wikiwiki.jp/ffdic/%E6%9B%B8%E7%B1%8D/%E3%80%90NTT%E5%87%BA%E7%89%88%E3%80%91 about the whole series, including lists of where that review process broke down.

shoeberto posted:

Was this a Japanese thing with the original release or something with FFA?

OG, it's dated '92/11/20 so actually a couple weeks before as a hype-builder. (It kept selling even after, though, the printing date of my copy was '93/2/12.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont think anyone even stopped to think for a moment if you can even snipe witches

I can't believe Cid "go into crippling debt to fund a school to murder my wife" Kramer didn't think things through

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*A giant blob monster in a mechanical shell screams at Cid because he’s behind on his loan repayment schedule for his wife-murder school*

*record scratch*

Cid: Yep, that’s me. I bet you’re wondering how I got into this mess.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cid: Here Squall take this cursed lamp maybe you can use it?

*Game over via Diablos*

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Headmaster Cid is a great man! The game told me so many times. Sure, it showed me the opposite every single time he was around, but you know.

If only this was a WRPG and I could have truly sided with NORG.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 30, 2023

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Headmaster Cid is a great man! The game told me so many times. Sure, it showed me the opposite every single time he was around, but you know.

You can't backstab Robin Williams.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So Nomura did some artwork for the FFX Kabuki stage play and I think it's neat

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

it is neat! thanks :)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NikkolasKing posted:

Every time Squall says "..." you would get a popup that everyone didn't like that

Mega64
May 23, 2008

"Go talk to a wall."

Quistis will remember this.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

What conversation choices unlock the NORG romance?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair to FF8 Cid:

Cid did not set out to create an army of mercenaries. He knew that Squall was destined to defeat a sorceress so he set out to create a support structure for that, but he had no money so he had to ally with Norg. The plot makes it pretty clear the current state of Garden was not actually his choice. NORG had all but usurped power from him and if you talk to the various NPCs and such it becomes clear that Norg's employees all treat Cid like absolute poo poo and Cid's power basically revolves around training SeeD and nothing else.

Cid's issue is that he has almost no information besides "Squall is destined to defeat an evil sorceress" and the best he can do is try to arrange things so he has the highest possible chance of success, so the literal only thing he knows is that Squall needs to be prepped for battle.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 30, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about NORG is how he explains his fight gimmick to you.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FF8 would have been better when it was actually revealed that Squall would have to defeat the sorceress... in Triple Triad.

*Shuffle and Boogie plays in stereo HD as Ultimecia sets up Random/Plus/Same/Elemental/Sudden Death*

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

With Latin lyrics . :colbert:

WaltherFeng posted:

Irvine 360 noscope

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

FF8 would have been better when it was actually revealed that Squall would have to defeat the sorceress... in Triple Triad.

*Shuffle and Boogie plays in stereo HD as Ultimecia sets up Random/Plus/Same/Elemental/Sudden Death*

We still have a chance to recapture that magic

FFVII Remake series might still end in challenging Sephiroth to a game of Fort Condor

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

quote is not edit

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The space station we're on is about to suffer cataclysmic destruction from a lunar monster glob but there's *always* time for a little TT.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Clearly Squall should've settled differences with Ultimicia through triple triad

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

lulu's kimono doesn't have a single belt on it. is nomura okay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EightFlyingCars posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBeuDEN0jAo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lulu's kimono is very cute and I hope that's her new outfit in X-3.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

EightFlyingCars posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU3el-Kk8Fw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like that her kimono incorporates the collar fur

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You can't fool me, that's just Undertale

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Do they pronounce his name correctly in the play or do they say TEEDUS?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

You can't fool me, that's just Undertale

Final Fantasy is Undertale for old people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Do they pronounce his name correctly in the play or do they say TEEDUS?

well its a japanese play so they say ティーダ (teeda) because

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Final Fantasy is Undertale for old people.
i think plenty of young people are into final fantasy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endorph posted:

i think plenty of young people are into final fantasy

This was something I was thinking while playing FF16... much of my love for the franchise was cemented in childhood memories of playing 4 and 6, and although those stories went to dark places it was still pretty broad in its approach and also abstracted enough in pixel art.

I wonder what kids today think, like if FF16 is the one that comes out when they're 8 or 9, for some reason I think starting with a kid graphically splattered with his disemboweled father's blood and then being mercilessly beaten to death in a three minute sequence is a bit different, also the plot's focus on geopolitics and grim brutality of everyday life was interesting to me as an adult, but...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, there’s something to someone’s first FF being the one that kinda sets expectations.

VIII was my first, so FF feels most “natural” to me when it’s just rolling around gleefully being weird as gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This was something I was thinking while playing FF16... much of my love for the franchise was cemented in childhood memories of playing 4 and 6, and although those stories went to dark places it was still pretty broad in its approach and also abstracted enough in pixel art.

I wonder what kids today think, like if FF16 is the one that comes out when they're 8 or 9, for some reason I think starting with a kid graphically splattered with his disemboweled father's blood and then being mercilessly beaten to death in a three minute sequence is a bit different, also the plot's focus on geopolitics and grim brutality of everyday life was interesting to me as an adult, but...

I think it's worth remembering that it doesn't exist in a vacuum. FF16 is more realistic than FF7 but it's also surrounded by a lot of other things that are as well and which set a baseline.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i mean kids right now are exposed to a lot of incredibly violent content nearly every day because american culture for the most part is insanely libertine about violence. and its not like you need to fully grasp and immerse yourself in every single theme or aspect of a work to enjoy it lol, plenty of people enjoyed final fantasy tactics or 12 as children without getting every nuance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if ff6 had turbo realistic graphics it would basically read pretty similarly to ff16. celes's intro scene is her getting beaten while tied up, there's a scene where she attempts suicide, the entire world gets blown up, there's a scene of cyan's family slowing dying in front of him, etc.

obviously there are differences in tone but its not like ff16 is the first ff ever to have dark content in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Realistic FF6 would be just like loving horrifying.

The opening would be these horrible metal monsters burning through the helpless defenders of a village, a glassy-eyed Terra at the controls.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want to know what color hair Terra has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Realistically jamming entire fish into Cid’s mouth