Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

accepted reality and uninstalled this game today.

was thinking maybe i'd keep it around until official mod support lands and see where that takes the game, but nah, can't imagine mods are going to save this junk.

i unsinstalled this game back on poage 15 or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I never installed it

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

MrMidnight posted:

I never installed it

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I never bought or installed it either. I watched Vinny play it beforehand and he seemed bored playing it for 2 hours and took my cue from that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's garba
The hugubif the initial space game is gone and all that's left is the egg faced Bethesda virgin being beaten by the chad SA first day "it's bad", poster

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's garba
The hugubif the initial space game is gone and all that's left is the egg faced Bethesda virgin being beaten by the chad SA first day "it's bad", poster

It's apparently bad enough to wreck your cognitive functions

Shame on Todd

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Punkinhead posted:

I've been having a blast playing Fallout 4 as a knock off Tank Girl by the name of Scary Jane

She kills bad guys and saves hunks/babes while doing every drug she finds.

Y'all got any jet?

found this yesterday and its pretty funny
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/62255

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i never installed it either. i played it via cloud streaming on gamepass for the first three or so days after it came out and got bored and that was it

the only aspect of the game i liked was the shipbuilder, but even that is kind of dumb because you can't design the interiors and no matter how cool of a ship you make, there's nothing fun to do with it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm replaying Morrowind and it still owns but goddamn is it apparent to me that Bethesda has been extremely bad about game design all along. Within an hour of starting I had extremely good equipment and enough money to buy anything I want, just from doing the first few Fighter's Guild quests in Balmora. The dialog is riddled with typos and every quest is just "go to [place] and kill [thing]".

It's showing me that unique, explorable worlds are really the only thing Bethesda does particularly well and ever has done well, which is extra damning about Starfield not having one.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 30, 2023

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm replaying Morrowind and it still owns but goddamn is it apparent to me that Bethesda has been extremely bad about game design all along. Within an hour of starting I had extremely good equipment and enough money to buy anything I want, just from doing the first few Fighter's Guild quests in Balmora. The dialog is riddled with typos and every quest is just "go to [place] and kill [thing]".

It's showing me that unique, explorable worlds are really the only thing Bethesda does particularly well and ever has done well, which is extra damning about Starfield not having one.

Yeah, I've been playing it too. It's very much a game that loses its charm once you know how everything works.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Morrowind is very much a game that's better to read about than to play. Like even story-wise, there's all this conceptually interesting lore, but the way the game dumps it at you in paragraphs of monotonous bullshit makes it miserable to experience first-hand

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The fact that every conversation can turn into a wiki for the whole worlds lore, but only for poo poo that person knows is not ideal, but at least there's a world they thought about enough to have that much written for it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Morrowind is very much a game that's better to read about than to play. Like even story-wise, there's all this conceptually interesting lore, but the way the game dumps it at you in paragraphs of monotonous bullshit makes it miserable to experience first-hand

Play the game without reading, then read about it later.

All I did in Morrowind was screw around. I don't think I ever finished the main quest.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

i would only say that applies to morrowind. there's nothing particularly unique about the worlds of skyrim, oblivion, fo3, or fo4, they are all very generic takes on their respective genres

daggerfall had some interesting stuff but i wouldnt call it a particularly unique world either

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oblivion was going to be unique but then they were like "what if generic fantasy woodlands instead."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Oblivion was going to be unique but then they were like "what if generic fantasy woodlands instead."

what was the original idea?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
IIRC it was Cyrodil was supposed to be dense, lush jungle for the most part. At least around the city.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

steinrokkan posted:

Game was amazing when I played it but I would hate it now as it's a QOL desert.

Oblivion may be the most visually dull game I have ever played. Stopped playing after the 5th copy/paste boring as gently caress Oblivion Gate.

Feeling pretty stupid about picking up Starfield and I won't make the same mistake again with Bethesda.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jelly posted:

Oblivion may be the most visually dull game I have ever played.

i guess you didnt play FO3. at least oblivion had a color palette

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Earwicker posted:

what was the original idea?

Freaky dense jungles surrounding a more roman inspired culture living and settling along the rivers.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Earwicker posted:

Pretty sure they suffered from the same ordeal, and that palette was brown, or red if you're in the gates.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Jelly posted:

Pretty sure they suffered from the same ordeal, and that palette was brown, or red if you're in the gates.

dont forget Cyan in the Elf Temple Taliban Ruins

i used to hate those back in the day for being boring and samey lol
and now we got this

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 31, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Earwicker posted:

fallout 3 was pretty great visually. i think it’s their best game since morrowind. it wasn’t a masterpiece, new vegas out shines it in every aspect, but it still had enough good and fun stuff going on to be worth playing. mostly because they were just copying the setting and style of something that was already good.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bethesda makes bad games for idiots!!!!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Being an idiot rules since it means I get to enjoy a big stupid space game.

I stole a ship, abandoning a group of settlers on a scorched husk of a moon, and then sold it to a space pirate for a pittance. Life is cheap in this field of stars, my friends.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I watched a video where somebody played a mission to find out the fate of the crew of your companion's former ship that had been marooned on an uninhabited planet like 20 years ago. The player discovered everybody had died, except for a girl that had been born on the planet and never saw anything but her Robinson cave, and her parents had been killed by wildlife or something. So now you have to convince her to leave with you and introduce her to society and convince your companion to take responsibility for her etc.

Real heart wrenching stuff. Except like 300 meters from the hovel of the stranded and doomed crew, the game generated not just one, but multiple busy outposts with traders and researchers.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

I watched a video where somebody played a mission to find out the fate of the crew of your companion's former ship that had been marooned on an uninhabited planet like 20 years ago. The player discovered everybody had died, except for a girl that had been born on the planet and never saw anything but her Robinson cave, and her parents had been killed by wildlife or something. So now you have to convince her to leave with you and introduce her to society and convince your companion to take responsibility for her etc.

Real heart wrenching stuff. Except like 300 meters from the hovel of the stranded and doomed crew, the game generated not just one, but multiple busy outposts with traders and researchers.

yeah several of the mysterious starborn temples spawn within sight of active human bases, just never got round to having a look i guess.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Look if we got bored of their chunk of galaxy within a few hours then imagine how bored they must be of it after living whole lives there. They went through a phase of exploration, realized there were only 12 things to see out there and just stayed in the cities where they have drugs and TV and videogames.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe the kid had bad vibes, and the local researchers just didn't want her bringing that gloom over to their outpost.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

Look if we got bored of their chunk of galaxy within a few hours then imagine how bored they must be of it after living whole lives there. They went through a phase of exploration, realized there were only 12 things to see out there and just stayed in the cities where they have drugs and TV and videogames.

So Starfield is the most realistic game ever?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i uninstalled after six hours, thanking christ god jesus i did not pay money for starfield. pretty excited at this point to see with the thread what sort of updates bethesda will begin fumbling with, their obligated dlc, and the exact day they finally throw their hands up and announce theyre done, get ready for skyrim 6!!!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

cumpantry posted:

i uninstalled after six hours, thanking christ god jesus i did not pay money for starfield. pretty excited at this point to see with the thread what sort of updates bethesda will begin fumbling with, their obligated dlc, and the exact day they finally throw their hands up and announce theyre done, get ready for skyrim 6!!!
I think I did something like 20 hours. Uninstalled 2 days ago. It made me want to revisit cyberpunk which I thought was a little bland when I first played, but is comparatively some full featured immersive experience. Kind of enjoying it now. We’ll see how long I last. And yeah, happy this came with my processor instead of shelling money for it. I think it would have been a decent game 10 years ago, but it’s just such an uninspired forgetful experience today.

I get the impression this game sold well, even if a lot of people hate it. That leaves me to believe TES6 is gonna be even worse and less inspired since there’s probably no lesson to be learned here as far as the decision makers are concerned…unless Bethesda is holding back some S+ tier team.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have a friend who absolutely loves starfield. He said "it it's just Skyrim in space I'll be happy." Apparently it's close enough to Skyrim that he's got hundreds of hours in it.
Glad he's happy but goddamn what's he doing? There's so much nothing in this game.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Im just back at my usual fallout 4 shenanigans collecting arms and legs and heads to graft onto the DLC robots that you can build

People saying mods cant save starfield are dreamers tho, too bad we have to wait half a year

e; also replaying sim settlements 2 without cheating all the building materials and garbage in this time

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 1, 2023

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

its all nice on rice posted:

I have a friend who absolutely loves starfield. He said "it it's just Skyrim in space I'll be happy." Apparently it's close enough to Skyrim that he's got hundreds of hours in it.
Glad he's happy but goddamn what's he doing? There's so much nothing in this game.

press him on this because i cant wrap my head around it. if it literally was "just Skyrim in space" then i'd at least be satisfied on some level, but what the hell is he getting out of starfield's exploration? how on earth is it even remotely satisfying to wander ugly desolate rocks with randomly generated pregenerated fallout 4 buildings scattered around like dice? i guess having dragon shouts in space is what he meant?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao starfield is nothing like skyrim

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

wrong, skyrim is also bad

did skyrim have an adoring fan ? [the best SF companion by a mile]

i cant believe theres no adoring fan backport for fo4 yet

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 1, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

heard u like girls posted:

wrong, skyrim is also bad

did skyrim have an adoring fan ? [the best SF companion by a mile]

i cant believe theres no adoring fan backport for fo4 yet

they had one in oblivion and copy pasted him into Starfield and then did a promotional behind the scenes video about it showing some employees being extremely pleased with themselves for copy pasting this character as a surprise for players.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bethesda designs games like lovely parents buy gifts.

You liked this that one time we gave it to you so now you get it every year forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fallout 3: it's just oblivion with guns, booo
Starfield: I wish this were Skyrim with guns :(