Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SpeedFreek posted:

I looked at the CAT phones and they seemed way overpriced for obsolete hardware, I'd be more worried about the coatings on an IR lens getting damaged from being in a pocket.

It's 100% this, plus the phone is only going to get a year or two of OS updates and then it's obsolete no matter how rugged it is.

My knowledge could also be obsolete and all this is no longer the case, but in my experience a decent phone case and tempered glass screen protector is way better than any "ruggedized" phone with fake screws and the slimmest of rubberized bumpers. Plus the older rugged phones used a plastic laminated screen coating that absorbed every abrasive and got scratched to hell and back. Having an IR camera built in is a useful thing if you need a thermal camera on you all the time to inspect things on the jobsite, but as a home hobby schmuck, I'd much rather just get the adapter or a standalone imager for the odd occasions I need one. Tempered glass screen protectors are fantastic and so dang cheap now, I just buy a three pack for six bucks and pop a new one on whenever I drop my phone facedown onto the concrete.

Re: rugged phones in general, I had every generation of the S4 - S7 Galaxy Active, and they really weren't any more durable than the regular version of the phone, especially with a decent case. Ever since I switched over to iOS, my phones just last much longer now anyways, but that might be more of a reflection on modern flagship phones and true across the board :shrug:.

I just wish new phones were built with repairability in mind... heating up or slicing adhesive just sucks when prying them open, and after loving up a home button cable on an iPhone 8+ screen replacement by bumping it with my fingernail, I just don't even want to bother working on new phones anymore. I just swapped a battery on a samsung s10 for a friend, and I thought for sure I was going to gently caress it up trying to get the adhesive under the battery off

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
This special tool for assembling rugged ethernet cables looks very familiar

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/505986-neutrik-hx-cat6a-parallel-press-tool-for-ethercon-cat6a

The boss bought one :lol:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shameless. You almost have to respect the grift.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

This special tool for assembling rugged ethernet cables looks very familiar

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/505986-neutrik-hx-cat6a-parallel-press-tool-for-ethercon-cat6a

The boss bought one :lol:

At least it's Knipex? That's only like... 50-100% overpriced.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

solarNativity posted:

At least it's Knipex? That's only like... 50-100% overpriced.

lol nope its the tiny one that is less than 20

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

In other pliers wrench news: got a Wiha 10" pliers wrench a while ago, love the concept. Then the release spring thing for adjusting (opening) it broke, and now they're just small pliers. Replaced with Knipex, which was a bit more expensive but has a much more robust adjustment mechanism.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hello tool thread, today I found the perfect tool for installing threaded studs on things like cylinder heads and I’m posting about it because I have been looking for a solution like this for years! . https://kokenusa.com/products/impact-stud-bolt-setter-3-8sq-dr-10mmx1-25mm

Not something you need everyday but drat is it so much nicer than the ‘ol two-nut trick or the roller style tool that squishes the threads slightly. Only downside is you need one for each size you need.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

Anything better than This lisle 8 qt dispenser for oil changes? One car takes about 7 quarts so the larger one is probably necessary.

So this thing works great. Highly recommended if you have a car or cars that don't take exactly 5 quarts of oil.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally had a chance to break in my new Wagner 3500. Even on a windy day it made short work of the fence parts I replaced a couple of months ago. No trouble at all spewing out the thick cabot solid stain.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We have the same gun. Made staining our rough saw fence a dream. Literally took the work down from days to a couple hours. The most time intensive thing was masking.

I never checked if there was a way to pull directly from a larger container (or the pail of stain?) but if it could, it would be awesome.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Looking at that, looking thoughtfully at my ratty mismatched fence :toot:

devmd01 posted:

Finally had a chance to break in my new Wagner 3500.

I’d love to see how it looks finished if you feel like it, not seen much of the solid stain stuff that I can recall

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the yeti posted:

Looking at that, looking thoughtfully at my ratty mismatched fence :toot:

Paint, especially when you have a way to easily prep for (pressure washer) and apply it has a way of kicking the can down the road for fence maintenance of this type. We should consider this "conserving resources" because of getting the most out of the materials that are already there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gonna have to invest in one of those in about three years when our 6 month old fence stain stops looking sparkly new

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Motronic posted:

Paint, especially when you have a way to easily prep for (pressure washer) and apply it has a way of kicking the can down the road for fence maintenance of this type. We should consider this "conserving resources" because of getting the most out of the materials that are already there.

Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with the lumber in this fence(installation, another story), it’s just patchy cause a PO replaced some bits and spray painted in the driveway against others. I don’t wanna replace it as long as it’s upright supposing it can be made to look okay.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Since we were talking about phones with thermal cameras built in, here's a review of a new Doogee V31. He doesnt' go into too much detail on the imager itself but it seems to have the same IniRay sensor as the one I linked earlier, and has this feature where it overlays the shape outlines from the visible spectrum cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3qP41k9m0

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm debating picking one of these up in a few weeks when they're released but $430 seems expensive. I've wanted a borescope for awhile but it seems there are much cheaper options. I wouldn't be spending my own money on it, I have a gift card and some credit card points I was planning on spending on it but those could just as easily go to something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S3YKgHNKRo

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I use this borescope with my phone or a tablet
https://www.oasisscientific.com/store/p314/VA-400-USB-Airplane-Engine-Cylinder-Borescope.html
I really like it. Image quality is good. Easy to control the camera, turn all around the cylinder, even rotate the camera around to see the valves. Two issues: it's rigid so you need a straight shot to whatever you're trying to scope, and if you get the locking one you need to remember to unlock before pulling it out of a sparkplug hole.

I have the older M12 scope and don't like it. That camera is too big to fit in a sparkplug hole. The cable is flexible, which I've found useful very few times. I've used it maybe twice, every other time I just use the USB scope.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only dedicated borescope I'm interested in is the Vevor one that FarmCraft101 just reviewed/used in this video - timestamped to the appropriate bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0mKRO8hCpA&t=587s

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only dedicated borescope I'm interested in is the Vevor one that FarmCraft101 just reviewed/used in this video - timestamped to the appropriate bit.

See that one is only $120 and there's a coupon in that video description for :10bux: off. It has a lot of the same features as the Milwaukee plus an articulating head. The Milwaukee has a smaller camera diameter (a bit over 5mm vs 6.4 for the Vevor) but the Vevor articulates which seems way more useful (and cooler). I guess the Milwaukee is better for close spaces because of the side camera (if you don't have room to articulate the head of the Vevor) but other than the M12 battery I'm not seeing what's worth the extra price. Maybe warranty/serviceability but I could buy three Vevors now and if they all die in a year, odds are good that there will be better tech in a year and a half anway and I'm still well ahead of the Milwaukee.

boxen fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 25, 2023

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
There is usually little point to buying tool brand stuff when they are doing things outside their wheelhouse, it always ends up overpriced and disappointing.

Note : From the home user perspective anyway. If you're running a worksite it's probably worth it to have just one supplier to have to deal with.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I asked my dad for a 12” compound sliding miter saw for Christmas probably 8 years ago, and he got me a Chicago Electric, which, lol. Used it *maybe* once a year at most, and finally today the inevitable happened when it comes to harbor freight, the drop stop completely broke off. It’s still usable, I just have to be careful not to push all the way down otherwise it starts cutting the base.

The quality of the casting is just incredible.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

devmd01 posted:

I asked my dad for a 12” compound sliding miter saw for Christmas probably 8 years ago, and he got me a Chicago Electric, which, lol. Used it *maybe* once a year at most, and finally today the inevitable happened when it comes to harbor freight, the drop stop completely broke off. It’s still usable, I just have to be careful not to push all the way down otherwise it starts cutting the base.

The quality of the casting is just incredible.

If you have not used the sliding feature I'd just replace it with a non slider.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/depthsofwiki/status/1718404632362254612?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
This is the guy posted earlier who was reverse engineering the protocol used between Milwaukee M18 batteries and the charger.

His latest has him do the same for the protocol (if you can call it that) between the tools and the batteries.
https://youtu.be/q7spzrIbdKY

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The genius of this comic is we probably at some point looked at a couple of those items to get us out of a jam as we prayed to whatever entity.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure which thread to put this. Probably going to order a 56x22 roller cabinet + top chest. I think I want a bunch of long shallow drawers

I went down the rabbit hole of watching most of adam savage's workshop focused videos where he's rebuilding/replacing various chests of drawers and I've kind of come to the conclusion that while he's very successful, it has nothing to do with his ability to organize his workshop in any usefully emulatably(sp?) way so I'm probably looking in the wrong place for inspiration

What do you use for storing fasteners? I have the old coffee can for random one-offs. Right now I'm going through a lot of 1/4 and 5/8 bolts and related hardware. And then I have a collection of smaller M1-5 stainless hardware for 3d printed stuff that lives in an organizer right now, plus an alarming number of zerks for some reason. Would be really nice to give everything a permanent home in the new garage

Is this the thing I'm looking for? I have the harbor freight version of this thing and I hate it. The largest drawers are just large enough to store some of my 4" abrasives, and I have a stack of 5" sandpaper that needs a permanent home.

And then I have a lot of stuff that comes in a "kit" with a carrying case and all the accessories inside. Do I... just explode these out into my roller cabinet, or put them on a shelf on the wall, well labeled?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 30, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Is this the thing I'm looking for? I have the harbor freight version of this thing and I hate it. The largest drawers are just large enough to store some of my 4" abrasives, and I have a stack of 5" sandpaper that needs a permanent home.

Maybe?

I keep mostly just metric hardware in mine. I have separate plastic bins that close, including bins that came with the poo poo I bought like my assortment of metric zerks and another one that is an assortment of SAE zerks. I'm working on adding more shelving to store all of those other boxes. Then I have things like abrasives stored in my toolbox.

I don't think there's a one size fits all solution of all of that stuff.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Any recommendations for door opening tool kits. You know the wedges, air shims and whatever you call the stick thing you press the unlock button with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

coathat posted:

Any recommendations for door opening tool kits. You know the wedges, air shims and whatever you call the stick thing you press the unlock button with.

If you want a one and done kit I've carried this one for years: https://zips.com/parts-detail/access-tools-contractor%27s-lockout-kit-actacs You'll end up making some extra parts/bends whatever but as far as kits go this is pretty complete.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hadlock posted:

What do you use for storing fasteners? I have the old coffee can for random one-offs. Right now I'm going through a lot of 1/4 and 5/8 bolts and related hardware. And then I have a collection of smaller M1-5 stainless hardware for 3d printed stuff that lives in an organizer right now, plus an alarming number of zerks for some reason. Would be really nice to give everything a permanent home in the new garage

I'm also on team closable plastic tray. I have about a dozen of them of various sizes and each one has a general class of fastener or hardware in it e.g. drive screws in one, metric machine screws, nut and washers in another, parts specific to car X in another, etc.

This size is nice because it fits in a standard kitchen wall cabinet: https://www.stanleytools.com/product/stst14021/sortmaster-light

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

And then I have a lot of stuff that comes in a "kit" with a carrying case and all the accessories inside. Do I... just explode these out into my roller cabinet, or put them on a shelf on the wall, well labeled?

Space is my big issue. My wishlist is to pick up a few assorted kits and metal organizers from boltsandnuts.com, eg this stainless assortment. I bought an assorted fasteners set in a plastic drawer kit, but the fasteners are cheese grade and the drawers are just waiting on a good spill before being relegated to the miscellaneous fasteners of doom bucket. The harbor freight assorted bolts are pretty awful quality, but they work for light duty fixes.

For stuff like high quality deck screws I buy by the pound, I've been using the small Packout organizers after picking up half a dozen for 20$ a pop during holiday sales. I like these because they're pretty sturdy and clear, and stack/slide apart pretty well. There's thin ones as well if you don't have a huge quantity, and they're on pretty decent sale right now if you buy 150$ or 300$ worth of stuff in the packout system

I've also got an assortment of akro-mils drawers for all my electronics and soldering parts, which work great for that purpose with a labelmaker. Soldering equipment and tools at my desk are just an old kennedy machinist chest and a desk shelf I built awhile back. The Akro Mils stuff are a bit sturdier than the cheap bins, and their stackable drawers are a far sight sturdier than the hazard fraught version. I also really like these sorts of mobile bases for the stackable bins, but I don't have the floor space to justify one currently.

With toolchests, I actually just bought a 41" Masterforce Cabinet (made by Montezuma I believe). The drawers in my 80's craftsman chest are way too thin, and suck at accommodating stuff like battery tools, or even an assorted pile of pliers. Great for organized mechanics tools, not great at general home stuff. The chest I just bought has much deeper drawers with latching handles, and I'm pretty excited, if a bit overwhelmed by the task of completely reorganizing my tools from the ground up.

I've got a bunch of blow molded cases for tools and miscellaneous stuff that I just use a wire shelving unit for, and the real heavy ones like socket sets just get chucked on the bottom shelf under the 2x4 toolbench I cobbled together ages ago. The hardboard pegboard on that diy bench sucks, but as I reorganize I might try french cleat style organizer rails instead of a pegboard. I've also used slatwall panels for organizing my synth gear, but that's another potential option. I think French cleats would be a lot more heavy duty for tools or fasteners.

New to me, Milwaukee has wall organizers for packout that seem pricey but nice for a very organized set of tools. I'd probably do French cleats vs that though, but it's potentially anther option to look at.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 30, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah after additional contemplation I remembered these things, very similar but slightly larger, and I guess has just enough "tabs" on the sides that they act as drawers that can slide in and out; "Stanley Tools and Consumer Storage 014725R 25-Removable Compartment Professional Organizer". They also make a double-tall "Stanley DEEP PRO Organizer"

customer image from amazon: probably overkill but very nice

superfastmatt had good things to say as well. he calls them "bonus drawers"

timestamp is 6:07 if the timestamped link doesn't work for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96RADFjK-U&t=367s

coathat
May 21, 2007

Motronic posted:

If you want a one and done kit I've carried this one for years: https://zips.com/parts-detail/access-tools-contractor%27s-lockout-kit-actacs You'll end up making some extra parts/bends whatever but as far as kits go this is pretty complete.

thanks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Catatron Prime posted:

Space is my big issue.\
I've also got an assortment of akro-mils drawers for all my electronics and soldering parts, which work great for that purpose with a labelmaker. Soldering equipment and tools at my desk are just an old kennedy machinist chest and a desk shelf I built awhile back. The Akro Mils stuff are a bit sturdier than the cheap bins, and their stackable drawers are a far sight sturdier than the hazard fraught version. I also really like these sorts of mobile bases for the stackable bins, but I don't have the floor space to justify one currently.

On a scale of "generic chinese brand on amazon" to "snap-on" where does Akro-Mils sit on the quality scale? I have this 12 drawer "storehouse" harbor freight one and i'll charitably call it a 4 out of 10 and if I'm going to buy another like this, would really like to get a better quality one

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/parts-storage/12-drawer-storage-organizer-99896.html

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Akro-Mils is the Kleenex or the Band-Aid of small parts organizers. Probably an 8 on the quality scale, where anything greater than that is bespoke and wildly more expensive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

On a scale of "generic chinese brand on amazon" to "snap-on" where does Akro-Mils sit on the quality scale?

These things you're posting and that I posted are widely known as "akro bins", because of them. They are the kleenex/xerox of this space.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I use the HF version of those Stanley boxes at home for fasteners, and we have a big 6' tall/4' wide metal cabinet full of akro bins in the doors at work. I like the compartment trays for small quantities of lots of lengths of the same size fasteners (one tray for M6x100, one for M8x125, etc) but the bins at work are great for bulk quantities of the common nuts/bolts and other consumable crap at work that I order multiple bags at a time from McMaster or Grainger.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I have a couple bags and boxes of nuts, washers, rivnuts I'd like to get out of one of my "primary drawers" on my workbench. I have two big bags of 5/8" washers because I lost the first bag under some other stuff in a drawer.

Finally finished unpacking all my "project" stuff I've been hauling around for years and years moving from place to place and now that I have a secure garage + proper shed would like to get it all out where I can get at it, rather than digging around in the bottom of a five year old moving box. Especially all the arduino and breadboard stuff. So far I've found three voltmeter and two complete soldering iron sets and I think there's more yet in another box. So much random crap I've bought over and over and in low quality because I couldn't find it and knew "my good one" was lurking in another box.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PitViper posted:

I use the HF version of those Stanley boxes at home for fasteners, and we have a big 6' tall/4' wide metal cabinet full of akro bins in the doors at work. I like the compartment trays for small quantities of lots of lengths of the same size fasteners (one tray for M6x100, one for M8x125, etc) but the bins at work are great for bulk quantities of the common nuts/bolts and other consumable crap at work that I order multiple bags at a time from McMaster or Grainger.

I have some HF parts organizers and a couple of the Stanley versions and the Stanley ones are worth the premium to me now. When you're at HF and you see something cheap, the first thought I have is "ok how can they make this cheaper that ends up being worse and does that matter". Plastic storage bins, to my inexperienced eye, are so simple they couldn't be done poorly. The plastic overall is of a lower quality and flexes quite a bit, which means it can be difficult to seat properly if it's not flat, or something gets caught all cockeyed inside and causes a contained mess. I've had some latches break as well. Overall, I wish I had a full rack of matching sets rather than cheap out like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If you have access to a 3d printer you could look into gridfinity for modular storage