Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

demonstrations on Zoom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1719033959516922112

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How'd they do after 9/11

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Thanks for introducing me to yet another smug Twitter nerd, I guess!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's got main character syndrome

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
He's dedicated to having a poo poo take applicable to every CSPAM thread

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

He's dedicated to having a poo poo take applicable to every CSPAM thread

He is a proud member of 'do-something Twitter'

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

demonstrations on Zoom

lol they did this at NGP VAN for something, i don't remember what though

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

lol they did this at NGP VAN for something, i don't remember what though

was it for a free Cuba

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

was it for a free Cuba

lmfao it very well might have been, i do remember rolling my eyes extra hard because that poo poo was all over soflo news

happyhalloween23_4
Oct 31, 2023
everyone enjoying this month's news story?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1719476488980795594?s=20

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A mere $800 billion... chicken feed, when you come right down to it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A Nobel Prize winner:

Wikipedia

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

FuturePerfect VideoGames posted:

A Nobel Prize winner:

Wikipedia

I also endorse horseshoe theory.

My theory is that if it was legal to throw horseshoes at centrists the world would be a better place

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

What if generative AI is illegal? The technology, which exploded into the public eye in November 2022 with ChatGPT's release, has been a boon for the stock market and talked up as a revolutionary breakthrough, but it has been in an uneasy truce with media organizations ever since. Now, almost a year later, the biggest newspaper alliance, with key members including The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, has weighed in, and it is scathing.

Everyone from Hollywood actors to famed authors has been scrambling to safeguard their work against the unbridled use of artificial intelligence, and news publishers have been arguing that developers such as ChatGPT’s parent company OpenAI and Google have been illegally using their copyrighted work to train chatbots.

The News Media Alliance, a trade group representing over 2,200 media organizations, released a 77-page white paper on Tuesday arguing that some of the most popular AI chatbots, like ChatGPT and Google’s Bard, heavily rely on news articles to train its technology. And because of the way these chatbots are trained, the answers they generate can be nearly identical to the copyrighted content.

“GAI [generative AI], while holding promise for consumers, businesses, and society at large, are commercial products that have been built—and are run—on the backs of creative contributors,” the report said.

Large-language models, or LLMs, are a type of AI that understands and generates written text. They are trained by analyzing massive amounts of data and mimicking writing patterns while dispatching a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge. However, since many developers do not publicly disclose what content is fed into their models to train them, it’s impossible to know for certain what data is being cited or replicated. The Alliance thinks that it knows.

By analyzing a sample of datasets believed to be used to train LLMs, the News Media Alliance found that content from news, magazine, and digital media publications were used five to 100 times more frequently than open web data, like that from Common Crawl. The report argued that this is a violation of “fair use” laws, which allow copyrighted material to be reproduced or copied without license for limited purposes.

“It genuinely acts as a substitution for our very work,” Danielle Coffey, president and CEO of the News Media Alliance, told the New York Times. “You can see our articles are just taken and regurgitated verbatim.”

The white paper argues that AI developers’ “anthropomorphic claim” that they are only using published written material to train their models is “technically inaccurate and besides the point.”

It is inaccurate because models "retain the expressions of facts that are contained in works in their copied training materials (and which copyright protects) without ever absorbing any underlying concepts,” the report said. “It is beside the point because materials that are used for ‘learning’ are subject to copyright law.”

Coffey added that the news group would “have a very good case in court” against developers.

The rise of generative AI has been the sword of Damocles hanging over the media’s head. If a chatbot can distill large amounts of information and summarize it in readable, accurate text, then it could theoretically put reporters out of the job.

And the Alliance says this possible future wouldn’t just be harmful to the journalism industry, but to society: “If the Internet becomes flooded with the products of GAI, then GAI itself will have nothing left to train on.”

It’s not just the media bracing itself, either. Authors such as John Grisham, Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin, and 17 others filed a class action lawsuit in September against OpenAI for training ChatGPT on their copyrighted books. And the lack of guardrails surrounding the use of the still-developing tech was at the center of the dual Hollywood actors’ and writers’ strikes, as they feared that studios would use the technology to replicate their likenesses without their permission or replace them altogether

“This evidence demonstrates that the fruits of human creativity are the essential fuel sustaining the GAI revolution,” the report said.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

. If a chatbot can distill large amounts of information and summarize it in readable, accurate text, then it could theoretically put reporters out of the job.

AI will never do that but they will still lose their jobs

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I think the actual job of reporting is more than just summarizing information

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Yeah ai will never be able to have nice lunches with state dept careerists.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
They should have named them Artificial Generative Intelligences to really muddy the waters.

In Training posted:

Yeah ai will never be able to have nice lunches with state dept careerists.
Just make state dept careerist AIs first...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

*Literally spend more money on the military than the rest of the world*
Paul Krugman : IT'S NOT THAT MUCH.
At this point, he should just take the KRIEGman name.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Nov 1, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

brugroffil posted:

someone tell that to every journalist trained after sept 11, 2001

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
not reading the article, I will agree with the premise that we don't actually spend all the money you think we do on defense because 98% of it is getting grifted to military industrial failsons and the US doesn't have the defense we pay for

I'm sure that's not what the article says

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

$80 billion could give every homeless person in america $150,000, enough to pay rent for years. if that's a pittance to the us government why are we not doing it?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

DrPossum posted:

not reading the article, I will agree with the premise that we don't actually spend all the money you think we do on defense because 98% of it is getting grifted to military industrial failsons and the US doesn't have the defense we pay for

I'm sure that's not what the article says

I'm not reading it either, so I'm guessing the article is just several photographs of Asian people in military uniform with "CHINA = NU RUSSIA (COLD WAR 2??)" scrawled over it in red ink a la Pepe Silvia

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maed posted:

$80 billion could give every homeless person in america $150,000, enough to pay rent for years. if that's a pittance to the us government why are we not doing it?

the people who control that money don’t see homelessness as their problem

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DrPossum posted:

not reading the article,

drat horror queefs posted:

I'm not reading it either,

Well I did and drat Horror Queefs is closer to correct. 3/4ths of it is bullshit hand wringing about horseshoe theory and the positions the Ultra Left and Ultra Right agree upon: Anti Semitism and wanting to kiss Putin on the lips.

here's the only relevant part about military spending

quote:

So, do we have a hugely bloated military budget? No doubt the Pentagon, like any large organization, wastes a lot of money. But recent events have made the case for spending at least as much as we currently do, and perhaps more.

First, one of the revelations from the war in Ukraine has been that those expensive NATO weapons systems, from Javelin anti-tank missiles to HIMARS, actually do work.

More important, it turns out that the era of large-scale conventional warfare isn’t over after all, and there are real concerns about whether our weapons production capacity is large enough to deal with the potential threats.

By all means, let’s have good-faith arguments about how much America should spend on its military. But repeating 60-year-old clichés about the military-industrial complex doesn’t help the discussion.

his argument is that the % GDP of our country that comes from the military is a small fraction of what it once was. We spend 4x as much on Medicare and Medicaid! Maybr we should cut those to ship more F35s to the south China sea. Food for thought.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

the people who control that money don’t see homelessness as their problem

Homelessness is an industrial byproduct of a wealth extraction mechanism that the rich will never, ever allow to be shut down. You can't have abusive, extractive, exploitative rents without people falling out of that machine into unrecoverable poverty, but on top of being an unavoidable byproduct of the rent extraction apparatus, it's also an incentive to ensure people pay and a justification to continuously reify and superfund the police state. All good things.

It's not that homelessness isn't their problem it's that it is their solution.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
lol at looking at the last 6 months in ukraine and thinking the lesson is expensive NATO weapons system actually do work

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zohar posted:

lol at looking at the last 6 months in ukraine and thinking the lesson is expensive NATO weapons system actually do work

quote:

By all means, let’s have good-faith arguments about how much America should spend on its military. But repeating 60-year-old clichés about the military-industrial complex doesn’t help the discussion.

He's right, 60-year-old cliches about the MIC are worn out, just right for the wrong reasons. Because the MIC has gotten so fat on selling precision strike digital network bullshit to credulous military idiots that it can't produce bullets, artillery shells, tanks, ships or planes in the kinds of quantities needed to wage a peer war anymore. Triple the funding, it won't help; the machine's broken.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zohar posted:

Hmm we invested in insanely expensive high tech equipment and found actual peer conflicts require huge amounts of stock. What this means is we need to produce huge amounts of insanely expensive high tech equipment

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Hmm we invested in insanely expensive high tech equipment and found actual peer conflicts require huge amounts of stock. What this means is we need to produce huge amounts of insanely expensive high tech equipment

ok, i know we gave the MIC 20x the money and all that did was make the cost of basic artillery shells go up 20x BUT

hear me out

what if we gave them 50x the money

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

brugroffil posted:

When I worked in local news there was a story I read that didn't make any sense but the producer said "that's what the wire said :shrug:" and so that was that and that's what we aired.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
we should get more money to the part of the government that failed three times to tell us how they’re spending the money.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

ok, i know we gave the MIC 20x the money and all that did was make the cost of basic artillery shells go up 20x BUT

hear me out

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Oldest Man posted:

hear me out

*Congress pases bill that gives them 100x the money

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
'The purpose of a system is what it does' is incomprehensible to mainstream politicians, and it's all the more lol how they keep on feeding money into the machine designed to devour endless amounts of money and wonder why it can't do the thing it hasn't had any reason to do for 40 years.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'The purpose of a system is what it does' is incomprehensible to mainstream politicians, and it's all the more lol how they keep on feeding money into the machine designed to devour endless amounts of money and wonder why it can't do the thing it hasn't had any reason to do for 40 years.

You're saying that like politicians aren't integral arms of that machine.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The fact that you posted this means you don't truly comprehend it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

The Oldest Man posted:

You're saying that like politicians aren't integral arms of that machine.

Yeah but they're too stupid to even know that