Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

RBX posted:

Ehhhhhh let's calm down. This isn't like actual devs got laid off. Yes Bungie is bad at deadlines as usual but we will have to........*sigh* wait and see.

Art, narrative and QA are devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
A combat design guy got the boot too.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Gonna be a fun this week in destiny because they sure as hell were not planning on talking about this but now they kinda have to. Doubly so that the people that write them got fired lol.

Might just not be a TWID anymore.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

look at the CEO’s Twitter account and you start to see why lol
Don't have twitter, what he do? Spoiler if it's really that bad.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

The amount of content hasn't just decreased over the last three years; the quality of said content has also been drastically reduced.
Has it really?

Forsaken was certainly the biggest xpac, and hasn't been matched content wise, but basically everything after that feels pretty debatable. Forge/Drifter/Opulence feel roughly comparable to the modern Season? Forge was like, one activity with 4 areas, and like one or two exotic missions?

Shadowkeep year's seasons were pretty mid - Dawn had some nice guns, the corrodors of time thing, but Undying and Worthy were pretty lame seasons content wise.

I feel like the content has gotten very stale, but I cannot agree that's reduced in quality or quantity. I feel like the stories are a bit more engaging then the Forsaken era. Seasonal activities have been roughly consistent in terms of like, how much is there?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 30, 2023

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Has it really?

Forsaken was certainly the biggest xpac, and hasn't been matched content wise, but basically everything after that feels pretty debatable. Forge/Drifter/Opulence feel roughly comparable to the modern Season? Forge was like, one activity with 4 areas, and like one or two exotic missions?

Shadowkeep year's seasons were pretty mid - Dawn had some nice guns, the corrodors of time thing, but Undying and Worthy were pretty lame seasons content wise.

I feel like the content has gotten very stale, but I cannot agree that's reduced in quality or quantity. I feel like the stories are a bit more engaging then the Forsaken era. Seasonal activities have been roughly consistent in terms of like, how much is there?

Yeah, I quit from 3 months after launch then started back in Shadowkeep so I don't have rose tinted glasses for Forsaken: They just very slowly iterate on the same concept. Nothing from the Forsaken/shadowkeep years are above anything recent. The recent stuff just not different enough from the past.

Firebert posted:

Art, narrative and QA are devs

I didn't know about the rest before I posted.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

The template got extremely stale but the details of the individual seasons got better over time (for the most part)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Don't have twitter, what he do? Spoiler if it's really that bad.

oh he’s just posting Zionist stuff without any regard for the reality of the past 80 years in occupied Palestine lol. typical rich guy poo poo.

since I posted that though he made a statement about the layoffs and is getting lit the gently caress up in the replies and the quotes, it’s pretty funny

https://twitter.com/pparsons/status/1719083847680459207?s=46&t=Lil8vLMPVkfPh80ODFeUGg

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

oh he’s just posting Zionist stuff without any regard for the reality of the past 80 years in occupied Palestine lol. typical rich guy poo poo.

since I posted that though he made a statement about the layoffs and is getting lit the gently caress up in the replies and the quotes, it’s pretty funny

https://twitter.com/pparsons/status/1719083847680459207?s=46&t=Lil8vLMPVkfPh80ODFeUGg

Wow, what a super emotional and well thought out cookie cutter statement he gave. He seems to really care.

Unionization needs to happen, this bullshit keeps happening year after year across the industry. It's disgusting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He also encouraged other studios to simply hire them

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Iwata cut his own salary in half. This dude wrote a tweet. :|

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone still at bungie time to unionize because lol if this is the guy steering the ship

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe it’s a more charitable view than it should warrant, but it sounds like the firings was coming down from Sony rather than the Bungie CEO

Otherwise you’d come off as a huge rear end in a top hat if you decided on the firings and then tweet that, but then again I’m not a heartless ghoul C-Suit executive

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Firebert posted:

The real takeaway is that the game is actually done after TFS, despite what they told us. Or their ‘modular content’ or whatever the hell they called it is going to be threadbare or written by machine learning.

I pointed this out during the showcase reveal and folk were really upset about this. Which I get, the content looks great and hype happens. Bad timing. But yeah it's pretty clear Destiny has aggressively been put on maintenance and now it's about wringing blood from the stone.

It's a real shame. After the Witch Queen I -genuinely- believed the hype that "Destiny's best days are ahead of us". All the problems of the game at that point were clearly fixable. Seeing all this happen is extremely disappointing. Destiny deserved better.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
2 years tops until Bungie buys themselves out from Sony for <$1B

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cool.

Well, I'm out. Peace.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

2 years tops until Bungie buys themselves out from Sony for <$1B

I'm still trying to figure out what Bungie wants. From MS to Activision Independent to Sony??

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBX posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what Bungie wants. From MS to Activision Independent to Sony??

This unfolded over literally 20 years. Bungie wants different things at different times and when different people run it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
All of the shittiest doomsayer gimmicks showing up to victory lap on a bunch of people getting fired really sucks rear end.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
IMHO they're hating on Bungie which very specifically excludes the people recently fired by Bungie

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

IMHO they're hating on Bungie which very specifically excludes the people recently fired by Bungie

still not under the impression they give a poo poo about the people who were fired

you do not gotta hand it to them

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MJeff posted:

All of the shittiest doomsayer gimmicks showing up to victory lap on a bunch of people getting fired really sucks rear end.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm not Online enough to know what a doomsayer gimmick victory lap is. Is this a thing happening in this thread right now, or it is a reference to a thing on twitter, bungie forums, etc?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not Online enough to know what a doomsayer gimmick victory lap is. Is this a thing happening in this thread right now, or it is a reference to a thing on twitter, bungie forums, etc?
I'm not sure you need to be "online enough" to recognize posters showing up to go "this proves me right when I said the game was dying"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't think that's how quotes work

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Also imagine laying these people off right before the holidays. These ghouls like Pete Parsons should be ashamed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't think that's how quotes work

im not online enough to know how quotes work

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not sure you need to be "online enough" to recognize posters showing up to go "this proves me right when I said the game was dying"

I am taking a victory lap, about being right. Sure. That doesn't mean I don't think this loving sucks, which I kind of made clear? Destiny deserves better. And it deserves high quality employees like Liana Ruppert edit: and everyone else fired today to make that vision a reality. But these incompetent loving executives are objectively ruining a fantastic product that realistically could have no competition with more investment chasing short term profits.

It's not a gimmick or doomposting to simply point out I see the quality is rapidly decreasing, the price is increasing, the monetization is the worst it's ever been, player numbers are explicitly half of what they were at the same time last year, and Bungie is clearly in a loving tailspin.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Firebert posted:

Also imagine laying these people off right before the holidays. These ghouls like Pete Parsons should be ashamed.

Parsons assured his employees that the Sony acquisition would not result in layoffs and barely a year later, he's laying off a bunch of them, right before Christmas. It's loving horrible and I kind of want to cancel my TFS preorder. The dude just fuckin' lied to his people and to all of the players, how could you possibly respect him as a leader if you're still working there after today?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sony is doing this. It's above him

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Source that Pete Parsons tried and was unable to save their jobs?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RBX posted:

good of him to cut all executive salaries to keep employees around, real stand up leadership in the face of totally unexpected business decisions by their new owner

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RBX posted:

It's his company. He's the one who made the decision to sell to Sony.

What did that 3.6 billion even do if they're having to do a giant bloodletting less than two years later.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/destinytrack/status/1719128088636805335?t=afCZ5-i3HRrJN7NjjyY1HQ&s=19

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
having been a part of a layoff after an acquisition, the company being acquired has very little say in personnel at that point. if anything it means that nobody except maybe the c-levels has any standing with the acquiring company, and everyone not an executive should be ready to be fired with no notice, no matter what time of year it is.

i also agree it probably was sony's decision and not parsons', but the timing plus the delay announcement looks like absolute dogshit.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I won't front, I'm going to play The Final Shape, but any interest I might have had in sticking around (with anything Bungie) beyond that just died.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Well, that seems needlessly mean of them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This is by far the scariest one, he's as close to a day 1 employee as they've got over there, he's scored basically everything Bungie's ever done. If he's not safe, what the actual gently caress is going on over there.

When is a score typically completed in game development anyway? Is this a situation where TFS is gonna have little-to-no Salvatori or is it more like, thanks for the score, now get the gently caress out. Both of those options loving suck by the way!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Oh it’s OVER over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

jesus christ