Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Oh hey looks like when you return after being away a while you get 14 free premium days and a mission line unlocking a bunch of xp/credit discounts for tech tree tanks? Finally Wargaming doing something for the filthy casuals among us who aren't grinding 6hrs+ per day of this mediocre game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Vando posted:

Playing perfectly into the hands of the T110E3 line :getin:

:hmmyes:

Good point. E3, as always, ends up winning :unsmith:.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wargaming throws so many free premium days at you that you should never run out. I have over 1000 days of premium time and I haven't paid for any for years.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

McGavin posted:

Wargaming throws so many free premium days at you that you should never run out. I have over 1000 days of premium time and I haven't paid for any for years.

You run out if you play like half a dozen sessions per month, that's for sure.

Orv
May 4, 2011
With the changes Top of the Tree mostly seems useful for the 2m discount on the T10 so I'm not super compelled to make use of it but the Italian TDs are cool so gently caress it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I decided to play some tanks again, can I get an invite back to 2pac? IG name is the same as here.

I thought I was really good in my first game, but it turns out you get bot matches when you return now :negative:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

With the changes Top of the Tree mostly seems useful for the 2m discount on the T10 so I'm not super compelled to make use of it but the Italian TDs are cool so gently caress it.

I play the Italian TDs like heavy tanks. They are great bullies :hist101:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

4 friendly tanks dead before my gsor clip had loaded for the first time

world of tanks

e: four wins over 3 hours, one of which was me doing a t2 shitter game just to feel something

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 31, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

doing a t2 shitter game just to feel something

Disappointment?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mesadoram posted:

I play the Italian TDs like heavy tanks. They are great bullies :hist101:

Yeah that's how to do it. They're not great at sitting on the A line sniping at poo poo, but they are incredible at being in people's faces, abusing their bullshit frontal armour and clipping motherfuckers out.

E:

My Vipera stats are lagging behind the others because I played it a bunch before I realized these are actually heavy tanks with a triangle symbol. Definitely a blast all the way to the 9th tier, and I don't even have the top gun yet. I can't see why the Minotauro would be any worse, either.

Definitely recommend to people who like to be active and aggressive. Just probably get that turbo on them from the SMV CC-56 onwards because they are not terribly fast.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 31, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/xeOEamY.mp4

Extremely realistic tank simulator World of Tanks.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

https://i.imgur.com/xeOEamY.mp4

Extremely realistic tank simulator World of Tanks.

:allears:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I bounced 6k damage in the M-III-Y just by side-scraping a rock. Pussies were too scared to push me. I would have done HT-12 for the Obj. 260 with honours if I had had it active.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

McGavin posted:

Disappointment?

no i got to send some dipshit with multiple thousands of games in the fcm pak 40 straight to hell. it was great

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
An interesting read about the dynamic map stuff:
https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2023/10/31/wot-next-gen-maps-with-random-events/

Orv
May 4, 2011
I dunno how you even manage this with something as low slung as the E25

https://i.imgur.com/B04Vnu0.mp4

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

I decided to play some tanks again, can I get an invite back to 2pac? IG name is the same as here.

I thought I was really good in my first game, but it turns out you get bot matches when you return now :negative:

So in other words, just like regular matches but with slightly more bots.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So for the most part I'm pretty whatever about bad teams. Random matchmaking in video games is always going to stick you with at least one idiot/racist/rear end in a top hat or whatever, I did my time in the MOBA mines it's whatever.

Jesus loving christ.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's me, but I'm top damage and XP in a light tank or arty. Then I get chirped at by bottomfeeders with 0 or 1 shot of damage after the match.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's especially galling because half the team went down to the beach on Overlord, died while bouncing off the AMX which gave them all that XP, then I fought the AMX, the Black Prince and the 152 for five minutes with all of two arty shots at them. First time I've been genuinely annoyed at a team.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Going beach on Overlord and valley on Lakeville are legitimate reasons to be angry at a team.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Overlord needs a dynamic event of a boat crashing onto the beach and physically blocking it across the middle so it's impassable. Maybe that will teach people it's a mistake 99% of the time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

sushibandit posted:

Overlord needs a dynamic event of a boat crashing onto the beach and physically blocking it across the middle so it's impassable. Maybe that will teach people it's a mistake 99% of the time.

Or, artillery shells crashing down because the Nazis had every grain of sand on the beach zeroed.

Honestly, if they wanted to truly make things dynamic they'd punish people for languishing, and things like "control of the map" would spawn things like air cover and off-map indirect artillery fire on tanks that don't want to move.

Sure, that'd be tough poo poo for SPGs, but...tough poo poo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Finally got past the tier 6 brit wheelie.

Now the stock grind begins on the tier 7.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Are the brits race cars, race cars or something very bad?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Are the brits race cars, race cars or something very bad?

They're snipers. If you use them to light you will die.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
They handle like boats for some reason too.

Balance

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Balance

And the wheels take like 30 seconds to repair.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Despite their many problems I’ve had fun with them so far. Purportedly that will eventually stop but it hasn’t yet at just about done with rank 6.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I can certainly see why they called it WORLD OF TANKS

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Looking at the T9 Italian TD, I basically need to freexp at least the first gun upgrade right off the bat, yeah? Running with turbo + hardening + iau or vents?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

sushibandit posted:

Looking at the T9 Italian TD, I basically need to freexp at least the first gun upgrade right off the bat, yeah? Running with turbo + hardening + iau or vents?

You're going to have a real bad time without the top gun. The pen on the top tier Italian TDs is much worse than equivalent tier TDs, so you need to get the top gun ASAP. I would use vents, optics, IAU for open maps and IRM, hardening, turbo for city maps.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Fuuuck, that's like 130k free xp total after acquiring the base tank.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's playable, not great, with the first unlockable gun so long as you only shoot gold

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

Going beach on Overlord and valley on Lakeville are legitimate reasons to be angry at a team.

Agreed, but it's still solely WG's fault for building the maps that way. They go to the 3-lane DotA school of map design, except not all of the lanes are viable. If Lakeville valley wasn't also a swamp for some reason, it could be a viable shortcut between bases that's nevertheless easy to defend at either end. Overlord beach is just like another version of Lakeville valley, without the swamp, but an even longer path that's still isolated from the rest of the map. (If the cap circles were on the beach at the corners, that would change the dynamic; you'd still have to fight across the rest of the map but going to the beach or the overlooking cliffs would be a far more significant part of the strategy.)

Mesadoram posted:

Balance

I played one of them (I think the tier 5, the AEC?) and noticed that it handled exactly like any tracked vehicle - just with wheels on the visual model. It's pretty clear that it isn't actually a proper wheeled vehicle, with steering axles, but a straight-up pseudo-tank with differential steering. I swear it even pivoted in place like a TD, which a car most certainly can't do.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sushibandit posted:

The first gun wasn't TERRIBLE. It's a bit more accurate than the others but doesn't have big pen or big alpha, so you have to hang back and not exactly snipe but second line support with it. The second gun allows you to brawl pretty well, so if you want that style of play you can free XP to it.

But you don't have to, it wasn't terrible at all IMO. It was a pretty pleasant stock grind overall, the bigger problem is that until you get the engine and tracks, you are slow as poo poo and maneuver like a brick, so a turbo is necessary.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 3, 2023

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

sushibandit posted:

Fuuuck, that's like 130k free xp total after acquiring the base tank.

pocket change :smuggo:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Why my winrate is in the shitter today"

Presenting my team's only scout

City map btw.

I get that not everyone is a pro at this game, but when literally 10 of our team go to one flank, get absolutely loving TURBO CREAMED by four enemy tanks in a minute, what the gently caress can you do? Or when all three of your light tanks are dead within 30 seconds on Malinovka, you can just go gently caress yourself. These players are just so loving awful.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 3, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

XXX

Thanks for the update Wargaming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy gently caress they're doing a crossover with the hot Vin Diesel classic from 2002?!