Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is having sex genocide

Yes, it's also like a million abortions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

"Are Palestinians going to die happier knowing that you are proudly astride your high horse" is that premium-grade poo poo

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

1glitch0 posted:

Biden will put the entire force of the United States government behind Israel in their genocide in Gaza and there is zero chance he will stop. Trump would probably do the same. But it's not 100%. There's always a chance that some perceived slight would set him off and he'd gently caress over Israel. So Trump is actually the correct vote to stop genocide.

also lets not forget this time trump may actually jail some democrats which would be great because at least some justice would be served lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It is my dying wish that you vote for the guy who sent these bombs to be dropped on my family.

No! No! Don't sit on your high horse with some insufferable moral purity! You must support my killer back into office so he can possibly maybe think about doing some symbolic act to help LGBTQ people three years from now if it doesn't cost too many swing votes.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Have you read any human history?

Prehistoric genocide

Homo sapiens ethnically cleansed every other remotely peer hominid before we even had written language. The "I want zero genocide" is an extremely recent development in human social evolution like the last hundred years recent.

Origin of the term genocide.

Think about that for a moment, we didn't have a term for it until halfway through the 20th century it was just how poo poo was done.

So yeah at this point "I want zero genocides" is an aspirational goal that is very far from being actualized. Also as has been pointed out Gaza is far from the only ongoing genocide taking place, it's just the most visible at the moment because Ukraine has become a stalemate and the media is bored with it and others involve brown on brown genocide so our corporate media gives no fucks about covering them.

Now I've yet to see either of these two things come out of the Accelerationists.

First an answer to if voting doesn't matter then why do the Fash spend so much time, effort and money to prevent people from doing it?

Second show me one historical example where the collapse of a government has ever resulted in a more humane and progressive society?

Incrementalism through electoralism has a demonstrated history of successfully shifting society to a more progressive and tolerant state, accelerationism has not. Also electoralism is more than just voting, it also includes organizing, protesting, boycotting etc etc etc all of which is done to shift the views of the public which is ultimately manifested in election outcomes.

At no time in my life have the very real and substantial differences between the two parties been more clearly obvious.

There are two choices and one of them is going to win. One party has mixed feelings about the Palestinian conflict and the other is pro extermination. One party supports the continuation of democracy and a secular civil society and the other wants to establish a white "Christian"* ethnostate. One wants the erase trans people (and you can bet all LGBTQ+ folks when that's done) and the other doesn't.

Voting blue no matter who isn't going to fix things in the short to mid term, but at least it keeps the possibility of doing so alive. The GOP's goal is to literally shut that possibility down forever.

*Supply Side Jesus edition .

nixon voice "jesus christ"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

'So yeah at this point "I want zero genocides" is an aspirational goal that is very far from being actualized' sounds like something SS men would be telling each other at the Wannsee Conference to steel themselves against any pangs of conscience over what was about to go down.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Y’all, we gotta RETVRN

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

both parties are not the same.

Ans a third party vote is just like not voting .

Again read project 2025. It is important that we do everything we can to not have republicans in charge.

Biden is doing a good job. A tone of accomplishments .

Give it time. This is a very precarious and volatile situation that needs to be navigated carefully to avoid a larger war . I want this entire thing to end it’s horrific.

It is important that we do everything we can to not have Republicans in charge except opposing their policies in any way.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's a year until the election

The scolding will only rise, exponentially

stumblebum
May 8, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
which election is going to be the one where a vaguely-not-super-unreservedly-pro-capitalist candidate gets >10% of the vote and causes the democrats and republicans to drop the act and bring back the democratic republican party?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

stumblebum posted:

which election is going to be the one where a vaguely-not-super-unreservedly-pro-capitalist candidate gets >10% of the vote and causes the democrats and republicans to drop the act and bring back the democratic republican party?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

dnd doesn't hold a candle to the succ that is DU right now:

https://democraticunderground.com/100218411301
https://democraticunderground.com/100218411850
https://democraticunderground.com/100218409428

didja know "genocide" is russkie hyperbole? that jayapal & tlaib should surrender citizenship? that whatever israeli officials say is the stone truth?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I also like DU bc I come across stuff like this over there.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1719073906391220528

lolol that the gop is putting conditions on the money to israel.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Increasing government expenses while cutting the agency that levies taxes seems to be a problem over the long term.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
so if this project 2025 poo poo is so awful, then surely the dems have their own long-brewing plan to use the federal government to achieve their own policy goals, right? let me see that plan. surely competent political operatives wouldn't have been sleeping at the wheel this whole time

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Is having sex genocide

It’s the opposite actually

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

so if this project 2025 poo poo is so awful, then surely the dems have their own long-brewing plan to use the federal government to achieve their own policy goals, right? let me see that plan. surely competent political operatives wouldn't have been sleeping at the wheel this whole time

Oh so you want Democrats to be more like MAGA Republicans, is that what you're saying you Trump-loving chud?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

That’s fascism

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

Alternatively: they do!! It’s called “trust us we are your betters and we know what to do”

Why would it be smart for the transportation exports and climate scientists to lay out their plans on a website? You wouldn’t understand it and would keep complaining anyway!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
People who orient themselves as "anti-genocide" as opposed to being something more materially useful, like "anti-Israel" or "anti-United States", will invariably be talking about white South Africans getting clapped off the land they stole or the 100 million Uygur Muslims whose organs were harvested and fed to rats the Chinese communists trained for that express purpose. Like even if they concede a genocide is happening in Palestine they'd much rather talk about the hypothetical genocide of whites as a result of global decolonization than they would the material factors that led to the situation in Palestine to begin with.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

dnd doesn't hold a candle to the succ that is DU right now:

https://democraticunderground.com/100218411301
https://democraticunderground.com/100218411850
https://democraticunderground.com/100218409428

didja know "genocide" is russkie hyperbole? that jayapal & tlaib should surrender citizenship? that whatever israeli officials say is the stone truth?

Why do you do this to yourself?

I mean it's entertaining to us but at some point the psychic damage has got to add up

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

docbeard posted:

Why do you do this to yourself?

I mean it's entertaining to us but at some point the psychic damage has got to add up

Eh, the entire reason I joined SA was bc of dnd's wide range of opinions (at that time).

But I do find stuff on DU that I don't see elsewhere (bc I don't spend time on twitter et al.) and it's a good way to see what the current talking points & zeitgeists are (like LL's posts in dnd are).

My own arguments & opinions become sharper when I can hone them against others'.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is having sex genocide

No, Patrick, having sex is not genocide

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I also want to push back a little more on the framing of this as a "whether to vote for the lesser evil" which I actually think is disputable and does a grave disservice to the many policy achievements Dems have done that we've basically not seen since the 1940's or 1960's. It's not "New Deal" levels of transformative but that's maybe an excessively high standard before we allow ourselves to admit that maybe just maybe "Dems... Good?"

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

I also like DU bc I come across stuff like this over there.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1719073906391220528

lolol that the gop is putting conditions on the money to israel.

do I gotta hand it to republicans on this one? I don't care why or how they do it as long as money going to Israel is disrupted.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Andorra posted:

I've been told that not voting/voting third party is a vote for the republicans. But I've also been told that not voting/voting third party is a vote for the democrats. Somebody help me with this, I'm bad at math

Every time you vote, an uncountable amount of quantum realities are formed... and all of them lead to Biden losing Michigan and Trump becoming POTUS again.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Oct 31, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

quantum succ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ahh, the democrats

https://x.com/jaredemoskowitz/status/1719103456089129257?s=46

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

*strangles every possibility in politics until the only options "more of the same" and "gently caress you, dad!!"*

Why are large swaths of the country saying gently caress you, dad???

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I like how the ante has been upped to not just an election between two rapists WHO YOU MUST CHOOSE FROM to now genocidal rapists. Definitely a sign that Voting Matters.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

imagine a fairy whispering in your ear everytime you criticize Biden “Trump would be worse”

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

and I meant a literal fairy like tinkerbell btw

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The funny thing about this "well, I have no choice but to vote blue because republicans will put LGBT people in jail" is the implicit acceptance that the filibuster is just a convenient excuse.

Yeah, the filibuster won't protect you from republicans but is the reason why democrats cant preemptively protect you.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I think the point here is I'm broadly addressing the larger issue, which is how broadly speaking especially considering domestic politics but also broadly regarding foreign policy the Dems do a lot of good things; their policies regarding Israel with the current ongoing tragedy is at best incredibly disappointing but I think it says something that this is what you have to focus on to say that they aren't "good" for whatever that means and however its quantified. A nuanced and hollistic assessment should I think consider everything else, and also foreign policy regarding other issues, like the Kurds, or support for Ukraine, confronting China, and so on.

If this is the only issue you care about and no other issue you do you, but I don't think its fair to dismiss that other people ultimately need to consider a wider range of policies and outcomes and when considering these other outcomes maybe they aren't actually bad; or maybe as I said earlier, sometimes politics is disappointingly messy and a lot of sucky awful things are going to happen, and there's a gap between ones ideals and ones reality.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1718620911257964980

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

I think the point here is I'm broadly addressing the larger issue, which is how broadly speaking especially considering domestic politics but also broadly regarding foreign policy the Dems do a lot of good things; their policies regarding Israel with the current ongoing tragedy is at best incredibly disappointing but I think it says something that this is what you have to focus on to say that they aren't "good" for whatever that means and however its quantified. A nuanced and hollistic assessment should I think consider everything else, and also foreign policy regarding other issues, like the Kurds, or support for Ukraine, confronting China, and so on.

If this is the only issue you care about and no other issue you do you, but I don't think its fair to dismiss that other people ultimately need to consider a wider range of policies and outcomes and when considering these other outcomes maybe they aren't actually bad; or maybe as I said earlier, sometimes politics is disappointingly messy and a lot of sucky awful things are going to happen, and there's a gap between ones ideals and ones reality.

incredible the amount of terrible stuff that gets laundered and implemented by dismissing anything against it as childish, fantasy, or "not being realistic"

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

wasn't the Afghanistan pull out mostly negotiated by Trump/his people and Biden just finished it? From that perspective Trump was -1 wars and Biden is +2 wars. If that trend continues a second Trump term would at least get us out of Yemen or Syria.

Wars and genocides are a pretty decent single-issue voting redline.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So the deportations have stopped under biden, right?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

So the deportations have stopped under biden, right?

don't let perfect be the enemy of good