Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Shastahanshah posted:

I don't get it, which is the Char option..?

the first option will probably lead to a lot of charred things :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

biosterous posted:

the first option will probably lead to a lot of charred things :v:

So just to be clear, all the "burn it with fire" votes are specifically requesting that Bisby uses a Firebat/Hellion/Perdition Turret force, right? :flame:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
On the one hand, fear the alien.

On the other hand, purge the unclean.

As an answer, I refer you to the First Book of Indocrinations:

To be Unclean
This is the mark of the Mutant
To be Impure
To be Abhorred
To be Reviled
To be Hunted
To be Purged
To be Cleansed
This is the mark of the Mutants

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

man, emperor mengsk got into some pretty hosed up poo poo huh

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Kith posted:

man, emperor mengsk got into some pretty hosed up poo poo huh

Mengsk rebuilding Korhal into Trantor in four years stretches belief enough without us claiming he's also gotten into a serious 40k habit, do you know how expensive that stuff is?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I vote to help Hanson. Selendis sounds so excited to go head to head against Raynor, let's not deprive her of that opportunity.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

bladededge posted:

Mengsk rebuilding Korhal into Trantor in four years stretches belief enough without us claiming he's also gotten into a serious 40k habit, do you know how expensive that stuff is?

Rebuilding Korhal like that is just the investment. Now he can afford his little armies in perpetuity off of a city-planet's tax base.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
While SC2's constantly oscillating scale is clearly inspired by the idiocy of warhammer, the pablum of optimism is at least preferable to the pablum of fascist purge stories. Help Hanson.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

honestly selendis is seriously hosed up if you think about it for a moment. like... different game, but awkward zombie put it better than i ever could:

sure marines are brainwashed murderers so their deaths don't matter and zealots teleport home upon receiving a grievous wound so they'll be fine (and possibly upgraded to Sweet Robot Body), but there's still a ton of other manpower and materiel that would be lost in such a clash. this isn't a friendly sparring match between ryu and ken, this is hundreds of casualties at the absolute minimum, and selendis is hype about that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IIRC, the Protoss can’t make dragoons any more, and all of the already existing ones got retrofitted into Immortals (with no indication that they can make new wounded warriors into Immortals), so any Zealots getting killed or maimed here would be doing it for absolutely nothing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Kerrigan has a line on Fenix's death at the end of SCBW that went something to the effect of "He died gloriously in battle like every Protoss wants to, don't player hate on me for giving him what he wanted." Kerrigan may not be the most reliable narrator, but he was always pretty gung-ho about fights before that so it's a line that rings true. Might just be that most warrior Protoss have no issue throwing their lives away if it's a good fight.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty sure any of the protoss that would hypothetically die in the battle against Raynor would be just as stoked to do that as Selendis is. Reminds me a bit of the Varl from The Banner Saga who have this as kind of a theme - there's no indication they ever die of old age, but that doesn't mean you're going to live forever. Might as well make sure that when you do go out you're doing something cool.

Of course, this doesn't apply to the terrans who would die in this fight, but that's why Selendis is offering him the choice to not have it.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure any of the protoss that would hypothetically die in the battle against Raynor would be just as stoked to do that as Selendis is. Reminds me a bit of the Varl from The Banner Saga who have this as kind of a theme - there's no indication they ever die of old age, but that doesn't mean you're going to live forever. Might as well make sure that when you do go out you're doing something cool.

Of course, this doesn't apply to the terrans who would die in this fight, but that's why Selendis is offering him the choice to not have it.

All he has to do is butcher his own people.

It would make a lot of sense to try doing the cure while preparing for a purge if it doesn't work; and it would make for a much better, more engaging story.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

To be fair, post-infestation they're not really his people anymore and in the few voice lines infested terrans have had "kill me" was one of them. :(

Also we have given doc as much time as is possible to cure it and she still hasn't. The protoss are surprisingly impatient given their long lifespans.

But since we have collected these artifacts that can somehow save Kerrigan we should be able to use that to save everyone else who also got infested no problem. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 30, 2023

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
He also doesn't really have to do it. Raynor-the-character has an option that we aren't given, as players, which is just to let the Protoss handle it like they were going to before he showed up. He and his troops could just leave right now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

He also doesn't really have to do it. Raynor-the-character has an option that we aren't given, as players, which is just to let the Protoss handle it like they were going to before he showed up. He and his troops could just leave right now.

Arguably we have in fact been taking that option for most of the campaign. I guess if we actually did go to Char without touching Haven then in-story the protoss would just glass the planet.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Poil posted:

But since we have collected these artifacts that can somehow save Kerrigan we should be able to use that to save everyone else who also got infested no problem. :)

One-use only.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wologar posted:

One-use only.

More like "MacGuffin that does what the plot needs it to do at a specific point in time, no more and no less." It's probably the most emblematic piece of Blizzard not thinking this through all the way before they started writing. :v:

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Aren't the zerg a form of parasite that infest larger organisms to control? And not a virus at all? It sounds like Dr Scientist is bigging up one small part of zerg infestation by making it seem like a cureall so she can get extra funding. I bet her results are like "In 44% of mice treated with Zerganol formation of zerg tissue proceeded 11% more slowly after infestation". Which isn't to say what she's doing isn't important but I'm not sure it's human test subjects with live zerg important.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the idea of a contagious zerg virus is meant to be a new development - possibly some weapon Kerrigan is testing out. Zerg were initially worm-like creatures with extremely volatile DNA, able to assimilate DNA of other creatures and mutate into their forms (helped in major ways by the Xel'naga - this will be on the test).

That said, they were able to infest other creatures and change them as we saw with infested terrans, so I suspect they did develop some viral mechanisms for this kind of hostile takeover. I'm not entirely clear if Kerrigan was a special case when it came to assimilating a living creature, but I think it's something they were hoping to do to a living protoss.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Tenebrais posted:

I think the idea of a contagious zerg virus is meant to be a new development - possibly some weapon Kerrigan is testing out. Zerg were initially worm-like creatures with extremely volatile DNA, able to assimilate DNA of other creatures and mutate into their forms (helped in major ways by the Xel'naga - this will be on the test).

That said, they were able to infest other creatures and change them as we saw with infested terrans, so I suspect they did develop some viral mechanisms for this kind of hostile takeover. I'm not entirely clear if Kerrigan was a special case when it came to assimilating a living creature, but I think it's something they were hoping to do to a living protoss.

It's a little weird and not entirely clear, but I believe the general canon is that the process in SC1 and the process seen here in SC2 are different. Expanded universe books make it clear that Kerrigan is either trying to figure out the process that created her or trying replicate it for some unknown purpose. As for being a 'special case', to speak more on that would be spoilers for future content so I will avoid too much, but the answer is 'yes'.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look, I understand you all have a lot of questions about the Zerg virus and the artifact, and I'm here to...

[glances at notes, which consist of one crumpled up sheet of paper covered in scribbled-out nonsense with the word "XEL-NAGA!(?)" written at the bottom in crayon]

uh,

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

megane posted:

Look, I understand you all have a lot of questions about the Zerg virus and the artifact, and I'm here to...

[glances at notes, which consist of one crumpled up sheet of paper covered in scribbled-out nonsense with the word "XEL-NAGA!(?)" written at the bottom in crayon]

uh,

It's worse than that, there are actual answers.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

[shakily turns the paper over to find it's completely covered in incredibly-dense handwriting in blood-red ink]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

megane posted:

[shakily turns the paper over to find it's completely covered in incredibly-dense handwriting in blood-red crayon]

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CheeseThief posted:

Aren't the zerg a form of parasite that infest larger organisms to control? And not a virus at all? It sounds like Dr Scientist is bigging up one small part of zerg infestation by making it seem like a cureall so she can get extra funding. I bet her results are like "In 44% of mice treated with Zerganol formation of zerg tissue proceeded 11% more slowly after infestation". Which isn't to say what she's doing isn't important but I'm not sure it's human test subjects with live zerg important.

The SC1 canon is that the Zerg are basically like the Annelids from System Shock 2. You've got a lil' worm parasite that climbs into the victim's spine and lives off their nutrients while also being able to mutate them and tell them what to do(the two latter were, I think, post-Xel'naga fuckery with the species). There's no virus or anything of the sort going on.

But uh, Heart of the Swarm will teach us some new things about the Zerg that will make everyone sad.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

What was with 90s sci fi and worms that control hosts? We have the Zerg, the Many, the Yeerks, probably more I am forgetting.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
How dare you overlook the gou’auld? And the trill I guess?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

PurpleXVI posted:

The SC1 canon is that the Zerg are basically like the Annelids from System Shock 2. You've got a lil' worm parasite that climbs into the victim's spine and lives off their nutrients while also being able to mutate them and tell them what to do(the two latter were, I think, post-Xel'naga fuckery with the species). There's no virus or anything of the sort going on.

But uh, Heart of the Swarm will teach us some new things about the Zerg that will make everyone sad.

Yeah I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what Heart of the Swarm thinks "a Zerg" is. But that's for another time.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

gohuskies posted:

Yeah I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what Heart of the Swarm thinks "a Zerg" is. But that's for another time.

Everything that's "revealed" about Zerg biology in Heart of the Swarm is (MAJOR SPOILERS!!!) Stetmann's Red Bull-induced scientific fever dream and none of it actually happened and therefore absolutely no retcons occurred in the making of this game but I'll let Bisby cover that in more detail on their own time.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

idonotlikepeas posted:

Sure we can.

We can ignore it and go to Char. I'm sure our homie Selendis has this under control.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

aniviron posted:

What was with 90s sci fi and worms that control hosts? We have the Zerg, the Many, the Yeerks, probably more I am forgetting.

there is an old line in philosophy that 90% of all Western philosophy is footnotes to Plato. it has a corollary we, as people in the Starcraft 2 thread on an internet forum that was last relevant in the mid-2000s, are painfully familiar with: 90% of sci-fi while we were growing up was footnotes to Star Trek: The Next Generation.

and they had an episode where a bunch of scary mind control worms show up, threaten everybody, and then that entire plotline gets dropped like a sack of hammers on the grounds the worm sfx were too expensive, leaving an entire generation of nerds to be like "man I wish they did something with that"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

aniviron posted:

also the bone leeches from Blood 2

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

And the brain worms in Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Turns out having your body turned into a puppet for a malicious force while all you can do is scream inside your own mind is good for horror.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, sure, but why worms? Lots of things can do that. Babylon 5 did it with weird centipede things at least.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

centipedes are just edgy worms

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

aniviron posted:

Yeah, sure, but why worms? Lots of things can do that. Babylon 5 did it with weird centipede things at least.

cheaper on the special effects budget

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
:siren: Spoiler is (mostly mechanical?) post finishing the Wings of Liberty storyline, so don't hover unless you mean it. :siren:

Experiment done. I had no idea that after the final mission, loading the victory save puts you directly into the mission archives, and if you close them it pops out to campaign selection screen. Bye bye Hyperion and even Char battle zone. I had thought that there might be some post-game play, but it's really not designed for that, huh? The important answer is that no, skipped missions cannot be done afterward without loading a save before the point of no return. Or at least not Haven, at any rate; might be different with non-splitting missions, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It has to be small, because it's subverting you insidiously rather than overpowering you. It should be creepy, so picking something relatively insectile is a good bet. It needs to be able to burrow because that's the analogy being used to get it into your body even if it enters through an opening, and that's something that worms are clearly designed for and good at. Not to mention the more subtle association that worms will devour your body after death. (Among other things, but worms are the one we use as a metaphor for this.)

It's convergent evolution; there are just a lot of things to recommend a worm-like creature if you've already settled on "thing that invades you and takes over your brain".