Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Looks like it did when I played a human back on launch. We also had a dying GPU which caused the darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Malaria posted:

I made a Druid on Quarm. I don't know if I can handle this old client. I'm too used to modern TLPs. :(

Seems fun though.

edit: also this super dark mode that they have going is awful. It's like on p99 Green. The game was never this dark. It looks terrible. I can't even imagine how dumb it must be if you are a human.

haven't actually logged in on quarm yet but youre probably wrong, i played a erudite on classic and you could barely see ANYTHING at night in toxx forest unless you had a light source

probly gonna try it out at least for a bit, kind of sick of the TLP race to endgame and profit driven farming, a server where people just hang out doing exp camps could be cool. raiding will obviously be loving garbage so no need to worry about that part at all

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Played an Erudite when Live launched and night time meant sitting at the Qeynos gate waiting for dawn. My first prized possession was a light stone.

I had a go at creating a character on Quarm but the UI is terrible, it's some post Luclin poo poo which won't let me move or resize windows. Took me a while to change the resolution as well.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah original EQ was dark as hell, especially if you were one of the human races. I remember needing a torch to find my way into blackburrow

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I tried to fart around on Quarm today, but the client runs terribly. It stutters like crazy whenever I look around and it gives me an awful headache.

I tried the latest files and locking the FPS. No difference.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The client is pretty miserable. I have to run it inside a VM to stop it from running like a puppy on sugar.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Not sure about the stuttering etc but I recommend DuxaUI or QQ. They come bundled with the TAKP client so you should be able to “ /loadskin qq” etc

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Ehud posted:

I tried to fart around on Quarm today, but the client runs terribly. It stutters like crazy whenever I look around and it gives me an awful headache.

I tried the latest files and locking the FPS. No difference.

Did you edit the .ini file to specifically tweak the mouse look fps? Setting mouselook FPS to the same as max FPS doesn't erase the jank, but does change it to something I find more tolerable.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PrinnySquad posted:

Did you edit the .ini file to specifically tweak the mouse look fps? Setting mouselook FPS to the same as max FPS doesn't erase the jank, but does change it to something I find more tolerable.

The FPS settings right now are set like:

MaxFPS=60
MaxBGFPS=30
MaxMouseLookFPS=60

I tried MaxFPS=30 as well. No change.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Yeah that's unfortunately as "fixed" as things can get currently as far as I know. There's simply no escaping some degree of jank with the older TAKP client.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I’m leveling a new necro if anyone wants to game. On p99 green, lvl 21. Look for Zixti Nyne

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Nothing like a little anxiety to get your morning started.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I’ve been farting around on a Bard. My plan was to just solo content and go on a nostalgia trip whenever I have some spare time. I want to try swarm and charm kiting.

Starting to think I should have just rolled a necro. Takes forever to get where I want to be as a bard.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
4:30AM, lower guk, the people camping frenzy left after 16 hours.... I got the camp... guess no sleep tonight lmao - Quarm FTW

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Ehud posted:

I’ve been farting around on a Bard. My plan was to just solo content and go on a nostalgia trip whenever I have some spare time. I want to try swarm and charm kiting.

Starting to think I should have just rolled a necro. Takes forever to get where I want to be as a bard.

I can't got 20ft in a zone without tripping over a Bard doing shenanigans half the time.

https://i.imgur.com/vpqvVL3.mp4

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

PrinnySquad posted:

I can't got 20ft in a zone without tripping over a Bard doing shenanigans half the time.

Found footage of me in 2001 leveling a Bard. Same zone, same mobs! :v:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PrinnySquad posted:

I think it might just be too active for me right now. I find myself wanting to just chill and watch a youtube video while I'm playing and the Bard is so...not that.

Thinking either a Gnome or Erudite Necro. I wish the Warrens was in the game. I love going from Paineel to the Warrens.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
crocs are bad to do that because they are fast

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Ehud posted:

I think it might just be too active for me right now. I find myself wanting to just chill and watch a youtube video while I'm playing and the Bard is so...not that.

Thinking either a Gnome or Erudite Necro. I wish the Warrens was in the game. I love going from Paineel to the Warrens.

Go Gnome, level exclusively on skeletons in Steamfont, collect 100 bone chips, turn them all in for sweet sweet XP and cash.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PrinnySquad posted:

Go Gnome, level exclusively on skeletons in Steamfont, collect 100 bone chips, turn them all in for sweet sweet XP and cash.

That’s probably what I’ll do. Steamfont is one of my favorite newbie zones.

Which bone chip quest are you referring to?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

The ratio of people playing their millionth time to people having a novel experience boggles my mind.

Addicts. lol

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Ehud posted:

That’s probably what I’ll do. Steamfont is one of my favorite newbie zones.

Which bone chip quest are you referring to?

As a Gnome NEC, you should be able to use the one in Freeport at the Necromancer guild. Here's the related NPC from the P99 wiki.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Assist_the_Great_Xelha

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
This run through is forcing me out of any pretense of going through golden path leveling route. I'll probably never hit the raiding scene, but we've got a solid 4-man group of mostly pet classes with a somewhat flaky 5th playing a shaman.

We did the western most wall of WC for 8+, then did Lavastorm for ~11-13.
Tried Highpass but the orcs are a bit too much for us and it's too much of a shitshow with every level 6 person running through there trying to move to Freeport.
Gorge of King Xorbb was OK but we ended up in EK for most of the night last night.

Finally hit 14 on my DRU so I've got Bind and SOW, thank god. What's working really well is to play the DRU like a Necro sans pet. Pull red-con animals into camp, snare + panic animal and let the 2 necros and mage do their thing.

Took a stab at killing an Evil Eye that we saw was 55% HP and roaming. Turns out that it charmed a random MAG as its pet and we saved his bacon :lol:. That's the kind of poo poo I come to this game for.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
I've been having a good time, currently my enchanter is level 33 and mostly trying to solo level up with a few groups sprinkled in. My playstyle is usually "med while I do things at work, kill some things once in awhile" which doesn't really work for a chanter in a group where you'll have to babysit a pet actively the whole time.

I stagnated a bit around 20ish after the crocs started greening out in Oasis, but found some good groups and a little tucked away room in Upper Guk that always spawns melee frogs to murder. Once I hit 31 I headed over to South Karana to do gnolls and Splitpaw. The amount of bards is ridiculous, even with the deep nerfs they've been given. Sometimes I'll find the gnolls outside uncamped, start killing them, then within ten minutes a bard will start gathering them up for a swarm kite.

So far I've gotten the GBS, jboots, and a manastone. As a chanter I'm going to feel guilty about grabbing a Guise of the Deceiver but whatever, I want it. I'm thinking of making a shaman or monk to level up to 30 and grab some of those goodies before they're gone or harder to obtain.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Quarm got an article in PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/why-the-original-1999-version-of-everquest-is-still-one-of-the-best-mmos-to-play-today/

Secrets has further lowered dungeon respawn times from 8 to 5 minutes "in anticipation of new player influx" which seems a little aspirational lol. Good time to farm for your Paw of Opolla though

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I’m level 50 and bored already lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
thats with 90% BIS and 11k plat in the bank already too lol

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Made a necro with a friend to see if we could level on Odus, been a week and the fast respawns in newbie zones had me what I thought was swimming in cash from cracked staves and rusty weapons until level 8 rolled around and the spells are 5pp each - which I thought was going to be 4 gold or whatever. Also, Odus pre-Warrens is a bitch.

There's some event on that lets you port around Norrath though so that's cool I guess. Very little info on stuff like that if you're unguilded and playing in Toxx though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Meatgrinder posted:

Made a necro with a friend to see if we could level on Odus, been a week and the fast respawns in newbie zones had me what I thought was swimming in cash from cracked staves and rusty weapons until level 8 rolled around and the spells are 5pp each - which I thought was going to be 4 gold or whatever. Also, Odus pre-Warrens is a bitch.

There's some event on that lets you port around Norrath though so that's cool I guess. Very little info on stuff like that if you're unguilded and playing in Toxx though.

How does the porting event work?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

There's PoK books all over Norrath which lead to a zone called Shard of Decay which is a copy of one of the Plane of Power dungeons, where you can click on the coffins/dirt mound in the entrance area to be ported out to other locations with those PoK books. There's one at Paineel, one in WK near the Qeynos zoneline, one in Inno swamp and one in Lesser Faydark as far as I could tell.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Meatgrinder posted:

There's PoK books all over Norrath which lead to a zone called Shard of Decay which is a copy of one of the Plane of Power dungeons, where you can click on the coffins/dirt mound in the entrance area to be ported out to other locations with those PoK books. There's one at Paineel, one in WK near the Qeynos zoneline, one in Inno swamp and one in Lesser Faydark as far as I could tell.

dang I wish I knew before I ran from Qeynos to Freeport on my way to Faydwer.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I've been playing quarm and it's fun as poo poo. Currently got a 32 necro and plan to remake my shaman from blue so I can get a guise. I'm just missing rubi arms and I'm good to go

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

its cool and really fun but coming from p99 it's extremely strange seeing so much rubi and gbs and other stuff. I guess it's all 100% drops or close to it?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Sankis posted:

its cool and really fun but coming from p99 it's extremely strange seeing so much rubi and gbs and other stuff. I guess it's all 100% drops or close to it?

Think they are turbo increasing spawn times and drop rates for the legacy items.

If it was just guise it'd be one thing but it's with all of them. Them doing this will completely destroy balance on the server long term IMO.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Whats a manastone cost there now?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

insider posted:

Think they are turbo increasing spawn times and drop rates for the legacy items.

If it was just guise it'd be one thing but it's with all of them. Them doing this will completely destroy balance on the server long term IMO.

The alternative is that the game becomes lawyer quest, which they dont want I assume. Because gently caress putting ones name on a list for the king room or whatever and the room being 3+ days long list.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

insider posted:

Who cares, p99 is miserable

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I'm not some goblin who is ready to put in 40-80 hrs for a manastone. I'll gladly take my casual loot

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I like p99, but I don't have a manastone there. The raid scene is alright, it's very classic (lots of staring at walls, CH chain, etc) and everyone is old now so it's kind of chill. On Green at least.

Quarm seems like a better 'touring' server, play a little, check all the boxes, get all the stuff. P99 has a lot of influence just because it's so stable. You can still sell bone chips in the EC tunnel and buy your starter weapons with them, a fungi tunic still costs an arm and a leg, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

an iksar marauder posted:

I like p99, but I don't have a manastone there. The raid scene is alright, it's very classic (lots of staring at walls, CH chain, etc) and everyone is old now so it's kind of chill. On Green at least.

Quarm seems like a better 'touring' server, play a little, check all the boxes, get all the stuff. P99 has a lot of influence just because it's so stable. You can still sell bone chips in the EC tunnel and buy your starter weapons with them, a fungi tunic still costs an arm and a leg, etc.

its stagnant and too top heavy, one of the nice things about Quarm is the devs opinion on removing bottlenecks, which is appreciated. Also, as a HC player, I gotta say its certainly a new way to play EQ doing SSF-HC