Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Data Graham posted:

Lol this seems like a real dumb name for a flag

yeah they’re going to add more things to newcursor.dylib all controlled behind that flag and there will no longer be a good choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Whats the software to disable trackpad acceleration?

I already have steermouse but it doesn’t work for trackpads, and i also have better touch tool but i don’t think it can manage acceleration

the anaswer to this question was cursorsense. Yeah its :10bux: but it's real good aand worth it for that single feature

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FMguru posted:

5pm PT is an odd time for a product announcement.

Maybe Tim will do it with a flashlight under his chin to make it all SpOOoOokY

1700 PT equals 0200 CEST. Whoever picked it wants to send a message to APAC and ignore EMEA.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SlowBloke posted:

1700 PT equals 0200 CEST. Whoever picked it wants to send a message to APAC and ignore EMEA.

New macbooks that charge from a lightning port

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hey thanks for all the recommendations for search stuff. I like Find Any File and it saved my rear end during class the other day.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Grassy Knowles posted:

New macbooks that charge from a lightning port

New macbooks with only ADB and ADC ports.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

lord funk posted:

Hey thanks for all the recommendations for search stuff. I like Find Any File and it saved my rear end during class the other day.

Cool, it’s a nice little program and wasn’t expensive at all IIRC.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Sonoma 14.1, Ventura 13.6.1, Monterey 12.7.1 have dropped :siren:

The release build is exactly one number higher than the RC on Sonoma so it's worth it to install.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
After a brief fling with a MacBook Air around 2014 I’m back using an M2 16/512 Air and adore it. Currently my plan is also to get a baseline M2 Studio before long, which is likely to be delightfully more than I need for at least five years. But I’ll confess: I’ve been using Windows since 3.1 and have been handy with Linux for nearly a quarter of a century, but most of my in-depth experience with macOS has been in academic setting or is so old it doesn’t reflect anything contemporary.

So what are some apps and tools I should familiarize myself with, the things that really play to the platform’s strengths? I’ve been pretty happy cobbling together a workflow that’s mostly platform-agnostic on the Air, but the Studio’s beefy enough that I don’t wanna miss something cool if I haven’t heard about it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's insane to me that even after a new version number release of macOS it still has this dumb "Login Item Added" notification showing up every single time I login.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hasturtium posted:

After a brief fling with a MacBook Air around 2014 I’m back using an M2 16/512 Air and adore it. Currently my plan is also to get a baseline M2 Studio before long, which is likely to be delightfully more than I need for at least five years. But I’ll confess: I’ve been using Windows since 3.1 and have been handy with Linux for nearly a quarter of a century, but most of my in-depth experience with macOS has been in academic setting or is so old it doesn’t reflect anything contemporary.

So what are some apps and tools I should familiarize myself with, the things that really play to the platform’s strengths? I’ve been pretty happy cobbling together a workflow that’s mostly platform-agnostic on the Air, but the Studio’s beefy enough that I don’t wanna miss something cool if I haven’t heard about it.

Honestly the real strength of the OS is how well integrated all the bundled apps are. If there's a specific app you are using, it might be worth giving the Apple version a go and seeing if it better fits in with how you work. Obviously, this is the opposite of platform-agnostic. But if you have other apple gadgets, especially the phone, then using those native apps can be a real joy.

In that same sense, most of the cool things that really differentiate it are more to do with hardware. Things like airpods or apple TV all play really nice.

That said, Arc browser is currently mac only and is really, really good. It had a lot of problems with battery consumption but those seem mostly solved. It fundamentally changes the way you use the internet, for the better, imo.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What's the current recommended copy and paste app? I have a few things that I know I always want to keep in 'storage' to paste onto documents when I use them a few times per month but I don't want to open Notes or TextEdit and go searching for them.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

What's the current recommended copy and paste app? I have a few things that I know I always want to keep in 'storage' to paste onto documents when I use them a few times per month but I don't want to open Notes or TextEdit and go searching for them.

I just use text replacements since I don't have a lot of them and it's already built into the os

this is also how I got it to stop replacing loving with ducking

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I moved to alfred since built-in snippets don’t support line breaks (at least as of my version of MacOS)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Grassy Knowles posted:

I moved to alfred since built-in snippets don’t support line breaks (at least as of my version of MacOS)

yeah that's fair. if you're doing anything with really long multi-paragraph text it's not good for that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I use stickies for this.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah that's fair. if you're doing anything with really long multi-paragraph text it's not good for that.

you have galtspeech too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Grassy Knowles posted:

you have galtspeech too

just the first paragraph :shobon:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

Alfred like the old Sherlock alternative? The search engine thing?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Alfred like the old Sherlock alternative? The search engine thing?

Yeah it got snippets somewhere between v2 and v4 and I have the lifetime license, otherwise I’d be using atext.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Alfred has a clipboard history which is awesome because you never have to worry about pasting somewhere else, it's just always there in your history. To see your history, you just do "CMD+SHIFT+C" and you can scroll through the list.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The app "Tot" is a little text editor designed to do pretty much what you're describing. You get seven buffers and that's it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

The app "Tot" is a little text editor designed to do pretty much what you're describing. You get seven buffers and that's it.

Seconding Tot. Also a great place to drop text you want to strip formatting from.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah Alfred and Raycast both have really great clipboard managers that it seems unnecessary to reach for anything else since you should already be using one of those anyway.

I use Keyboard Maestro for my snippets since I'm already using that for other things anyway, but I know Raycast at least has them for free if you don't want to pay for an Alfred licence (I also think Raycast is just better nowadays)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’ve got some snippets setup in macOS natively (great since it syncs across your devices, convert things like “cmd” to ⌘, (r) to ®), some in Alfred (current date, email addresses), and long form templates and markdown + bbcode snippets in Snippety, since it lets me do more advanced things like setup cover letters and automatically replace variables with a company’s name and such.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 28, 2023

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Was looking at trying Safari as my web browser again, but does anyone have a solution (that isn't disabling them) for Twitter/X embeds losing your position on the page once they load? It's maddening.

I know SALR has settings that help with this but afaik there hasn't been a Safari version of that in about a decade.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

101 posted:

Was looking at trying Safari as my web browser again, but does anyone have a solution (that isn't disabling them) for Twitter/X embeds losing your position on the page once they load? It's maddening.

I know SALR has settings that help with this but afaik there hasn't been a Safari version of that in about a decade.

Greasemonkey? Well tampermonkey for Mac.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I know you’ve all been wondering but I think I’ve finally figured out my beef with Apple.

The software peaked years ago. MacOS peaked years ago. Like maybe 10.6 even. There hasn’t been a huge cool new thing added in forever.
We have so much hardware power now, but the software side is just a complete snooze. The best example is porting the unusable nightmare of Settings from iOS to MacOS.

Maybe that’s the issue, the iOS team is running all the software development so it’s just generally poorly aimed dogshit.

Just wish the software and hardware cycles aligned. Id like to see what Snow Leopards dev team could do with this much juice.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Are you saying that the operating system is a piece of poo poo?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I mean go use windows for a week and come back and tell me how you feel (especially if you use edge). Sometimes restraint can be a good thing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Honestly there's a lot of issues with Windows, but I wouldn't say current Edge is really one of them...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I alternate between Mac and Windows on a daily basis at home and Windows just feels like a mishmash of things into one thing that doesn't exactly work very well. And this Windows 11. I had Windows update on its own because I wasn't using it for literally five minutes. Then it wanted me to make Edge my default browser when it finally finished with a window that you could not close or minimize until you made a decision. Copilot is interesting for like a good 30 minutes though. I'm glad they finally updated how File Explorer uses tabs and lets you rearrange them now.

The Mac is just...there. You put your programs on it and it doesn't bother you. Unless you don't have Time Machine set up properly and then it'll give you a notification about how long you've gone without backing up. I'm wondering when they'll just drop Time Machine and let you back your Mac up directly to iCloud+ since they have up to 12TB of storage now. I do not like Finder though.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I know you’ve all been wondering but I think I’ve finally figured out my beef with Apple.

The software peaked years ago. MacOS peaked years ago. Like maybe 10.6 even. There hasn’t been a huge cool new thing added in forever.
We have so much hardware power now, but the software side is just a complete snooze. The best example is porting the unusable nightmare of Settings from iOS to MacOS.

Maybe that’s the issue, the iOS team is running all the software development so it’s just generally poorly aimed dogshit.

Just wish the software and hardware cycles aligned. Id like to see what Snow Leopards dev team could do with this much juice.

I never had a mac before they changed the settings so I guess I don't really know what I'm missing on that front, but 'unusable nightmare' seems like a very goonesque exaggeration. It's.. fine?

But yeah to me after being a lifelong Windows user it does feel a bit more focused. I think it's aligned with iOS in that it's always basically been just a tasteful looking app launcher - just now all those apps have the same icons as the apps on your phone. I don't really know what constitutes poorly-aimed dogshit. I really like all its gesture-based stuff, how close hardware and software feel to one another, and how fast even the new base model air (which is what I have) is.

Also - and I know this isn't purely software but it is a combination of software and hardware - I use my laptop all day every day for work, and I only have to plug it into a wall every two days, which is just the greatest. I don't know whether more software bloat would diminish that?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Canned Sunshine posted:

Honestly there's a lot of issues with Windows, but I wouldn't say current Edge is really one of them...

when was the last time you used it? It’s godawful. It has poo poo everywhere. Unless you go to a lot of trouble disabling poo poo it’s like being in 2006 again and dealing with your grandma’s toolbar ridden IE6

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

I swear iCloud’s spam filtering has been not existent.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Lord Bude posted:

when was the last time you used it? It’s godawful. It has poo poo everywhere. Unless you go to a lot of trouble disabling poo poo it’s like being in 2006 again and dealing with your grandma’s toolbar ridden IE6

I used it today. It's fine. This isn't a ton of stuff to have visible:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The operating system is there so you can get your work done, it doesn't need new bells and whistles every six weeks. MacOS is unobtrusive and that's fine.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been monkeying around in Windows 11 for the first time in ages thanks to a new gig, and I really miss MacOS's top menubar the most. Every app's UI is different, there's no consistency, no easy way to quickly review keyboard shortcuts.

Microsoft PowerToys gets me halfway to where I need to be on a Windows device, but it's just not the same. Funny how the Windows start menubar has slowly transformed into looking exactly like the MacOS dock over the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Lord Bude posted:

I use it every single day for work. It's fine.

Basically:

Kibner posted:

I used it today. It's fine. This isn't a ton of stuff to have visible:

I still prefer Safari by quite a bit, and I honestly prefer Firefox over Safari, but Edge is fine.