Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

do get a smart charger for them if you don't have one, the dumb chargers that just run on a timer aren't good for the longevity of the batteries

panasonic sells bundles of a smart charger with 4 eneloops together
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JHKSMJU/
I assume this is one of those? (It's what I just ordered)

njsykora posted:

Yeah the basic charger can also only do charging in pairs, which isn't that useful if the use case is a single battery device like Quest controllers.
I mean, the controllers tend to run through in a similar time frame, if you just swap both batteries at the same time, they'll remain in a pair.

Homeless Friend posted:

people still use regular batteries makes sense if you need a billion items powered but household is rechargable all the way. you just get to never think about it again. you have to go bonkers to kill em in a reasonable timeframe
I think my quest controllers are really the only thing in my house running on double As. An 8 pack of energizers lasted me like a year or so, and was like 10$. 4 Eneloops and the charger was like 40$, so it's basically 4 years till the eneloops actually end up cheaper, but it's also much less wasteful. (And, yeah, if I do need AAs for other stuff, rechargeable gets better.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

AzureSkys posted:

I'm loving the clarity of the Quest 3. I don't know, though, if I'm over the wow factor of VR or if the Q3 makes 3D depth feel less noticeable.
I feel like I'm just looking at a cool 360° screen rather than in a 3D space compared to when I played the same stuff on the Q1 or Q2. Not sure if it's just me or if others are feeling the same.

My usual quick test is Aircar and I remember being so impressed with feeling I was inside a vehicle, but now it all feels very flat. Not sure how to explain it. Things are super smooth and clear, though, which is nice.

I've felt this way since switching from Q1. The contrast provided by OLED really makes a big difference when it comes to feeling depth and presence. Q2 and Q3 with their washed out black levels just don't feel nearly as dimensional.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

A Quest 3 is optional spending, so is Lasik, and they go well together. That's all I said. If you still can't swing the money or don't want to for whatever reason, hell even if you just have a phobia of robots wielding lasers, I'm not judging. My privilege is like, totally checked buddy.

Thats not all you said.

What you said is if you can afford 500 dollars you can afford lasik. We're also in the VR thread and like multiple people have said Lasik isn't for everyone.

Newflash my guy. Poors are allowed to have fun and 100$ lens inserts are better for almost every single loving quest owner out there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Have to say I've warmed up to the Quest 3 a bit after getting a dedicated router, I do miss some parts of the WMR and the better/lower-latency/less demanding graphical fidelity of the Reverb G2, but the passthrough, tracking, software support, lenses, wireless and such are really nice.

e: Most importantly it's stable unlike WMR these days :(

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 29, 2023

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I showed my wife the Encounters video and now she is talking about getting a Quest 3.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

I'm thinking about getting some rechargeable double AAs for my quest controllers - while regular disposable AAs last pretty dang long with these things, still feels maybe a bit wasteful. Anything I should look for for rechargable AAs? I heard Eneloops are what I want? Anything secondary on that to look for?

I ran into an issue with rechargeable batteries I had for my Q1 that were 1.2v not working well with the Q2, so I then had to get some 1.5v ones that I now use with the Q3.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally got a fine-tuned DIY lens insert for my Q3 modeled up and done. I had something functional a while ago, but I wanted to shave down that last millimeter.... Even so, it's still not entirely flush but I'm through loving with it.

Just get the Zenni inserts if you can is my recommendation. They fit great and snap right in.

But it's a pain to DIY because the interface for doing so is super thin and fine, and there's not a lot of wiggle room. Making things worse is that it's not even "flat". Just get the Zennis (unless they can't do your prescription, like for me, in which case either fire up your workshop poo poo or just stick with glasses.)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

Thats not all you said.

What you said is if you can afford 500 dollars you can afford lasik. We're also in the VR thread and like multiple people have said Lasik isn't for everyone.

Newflash my guy. Poors are allowed to have fun and 100$ lens inserts are better for almost every single loving quest owner out there.

My first post said "consider budgeting" and my second post said "if you've got $500 something as frivolous as a Quest 3 then it's not unreasonable to think you can do the 3-5k." Not unreasonable, as in, "it's reasonably possible". I never said everyone can automatically afford it or that it was for everyone, I never said people who can't afford it don't deserve to have fun. But I did go on to explain there's a return on the investment of not needing to buy these lens inserts or any other lens inserts or glasses and contacts in the future. Which does help offset the initial cost, on top of the QOL.

My boyfriend was scared shitless about it, but wound up thrilled that he mustered the courage and went from not wanting to touch VR to playing daily. Some people in the thread were pleased with it. We can extrapolate that it's a bit more than "almost every single loving quest owner" from that. It's totally OK if it's a bad choice for some or that they aren't compatible with it. I can see why people would be touchy about someone suggesting an elective surgery.

But you just couldn't drop it until you typed out your "this guy did a microaggression on the poors!!" straw man. OK, we have noted that Lasik is now one of those goon unmentionables like circumcision topics. People are sensitive about their eyes and genitals (because they're sensitive parts, get it?!). Let's loving move on please. Don't put words in my mouth next time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My God shut the gently caress up

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:drac: Gerania!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Lol your boyfriend is going to have bad up close vision as he ages because you wanted him to play VR.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Lol your boyfriend is going to have bad up close vision as he ages because you wanted him to play VR.

Hey.

Hey.

Shut up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Clearly, you guys need to put the Apple Headset. To improve your mental health

https://www.uploadvr.com/apple-vision-pro-could-detect-mental-health-issues/

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Thank you for teaching me that Five hundred dollars and five thousand dollars are pretty much the same amount of money. Going to ask for a raise now. Wish me luck!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Kwolok posted:

That sounds great honestly, I'm not getting any prettier.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Private Speech posted:

Is there a good way to use a wired connection with PCVR outside of the oculus app? I thought virtual desktop would do it but it seems to be only over wifi.

Wifi is not really ideal for a long laundry list of reasons, mainly I have a lot of wifi traffic due to having >20 high bandwidth devices as I work on embedded hardware from home.

It still works okay but is not really great. Also the compression load on the GPU is more than I expected.
Streaming over wired USB is just running network-over-USB and then otherwise doing the exact same thing as over WiFi so your GPU compression load isn't going to change with a wire.

As for WiFi performance, there's a reason many people in this thread have a dedicated wireless access point solely for VR and most of the people like myself who have good results on a shared network are running higher-end WiFi systems with multiple APs being actively coordinated. At minimum you can push your unimportant stuff off to the 2.4GHz band and try to free up 5GHz for your gaming.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

tango alpha delta posted:

Thank you for teaching me that Five hundred dollars and five thousand dollars are pretty much the same amount of money. Going to ask for a raise now. Wish me luck!

Also buying electronics is the same level of decision making as surgery. It’s just that easy! Time to go get my eyeballs lasered so I can play Beat Saber more effectively.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

LASIK SUCKS and anyone who has GOOD EYESIGHT is A HITLER

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm gonna put Pepto Bismol in my eyes or whatever the gently caress so I can better see the screen door effect on my headset while I play games with no textures and 3 polygons per asset.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

bla bla bla clown poo poo

Shut the gently caress up. Nobody cares. Go post in a lasik thread or some poo poo.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 31, 2023

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Hey everyone, sorry to post about VR in the proletarian-LASIK thread, but I wanted to share my experience with the Quest 3 so far. After some consideration, I decided to pick one up, going from a Quest 2 which I only use for Steam VR, and without even mentioning the new graphical fidelity and lenses, the thing is lightyears ahead of the 2 simply for all of the quality of life improvements. Set up is infinitely easier now that you can see flat screens with passthrough, and I thought to myself "Wait, is there anything stopping me from creating a space in the backyard?" It loving worked! After experimenting, I decided to go from the fixed 200 mbps airlink rate to the variable rate capped at 200, and just after the initial testing with a couple quickly drawn, but large boundaries, I had very little issues, and tonight I'm going to see just how big I can make the boundary before it becomes unusable.

I was able to walk around entire rooms in Pavlov without even having to use the sticks, and could literally run at people. Not having to worry about running into a wall and being able to naturally move about for the most part is something I've fantasized about since I was a kid watching TNG and The Lawnmower man. I utterly loathe Meta, but I have to give it props, and honestly, for my own usage, I'm not sure if whatever Valve is doing with Deckard will be enough to convince me to switch, simply for the seamlessness of moving through VR spaces.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
It's really nice that this thing tracks hands so I don't have to unplug my controllers if I'm not going to be gaming.

Getting a lot more use out of the passthrough camera than I thought I would. I tend to pop it on now while setting up my play area and didn't even think about it. Can see and grab my drink without the weird wobbly feeling I'd get with the Q2. I've responded to a few texts, but anything more complex, I need to take it off.

Into the Radius looks great in this, and with a 4090 and Airlink, it's smooth as butter.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Duck_King posted:

Hey everyone, sorry to post about VR in the proletarian-LASIK thread, but I wanted to share my experience with the Quest 3 so far. After some consideration, I decided to pick one up, going from a Quest 2 which I only use for Steam VR, and without even mentioning the new graphical fidelity and lenses, the thing is lightyears ahead of the 2 simply for all of the quality of life improvements. Set up is infinitely easier now that you can see flat screens with passthrough, and I thought to myself "Wait, is there anything stopping me from creating a space in the backyard?" It loving worked! After experimenting, I decided to go from the fixed 200 mbps airlink rate to the variable rate capped at 200, and just after the initial testing with a couple quickly drawn, but large boundaries, I had very little issues, and tonight I'm going to see just how big I can make the boundary before it becomes unusable.

I was able to walk around entire rooms in Pavlov without even having to use the sticks, and could literally run at people. Not having to worry about running into a wall and being able to naturally move about for the most part is something I've fantasized about since I was a kid watching TNG and The Lawnmower man. I utterly loathe Meta, but I have to give it props, and honestly, for my own usage, I'm not sure if whatever Valve is doing with Deckard will be enough to convince me to switch, simply for the seamlessness of moving through VR spaces.

Is there no risk of sunlight damage for the quest 3 lenses?

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

johnny park posted:

:shrug: It's on my face the entire time I walk in and out of the house, and I cover the unit when charging/not in use, so I'm not entirely worried, and besides, I'm fine risking it being able to play that way to be honest.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

johnny park posted:

There is, but I believe the cameras are fine, right?

The lenses you'd definitely have to be careful with, they could roast those screens pretty quick if exposed to direct sunlight.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

johnny park posted:

If its on your head and the suns not blasting into the lens, yeah its fine. Just treat it carefully and think about how a magnifying glass will fry ants and realize thats how poo poo fucks up and you're good.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

More like LASUC.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

EbolaIvory posted:

If its on your head and the suns not blasting into the lens, yeah its fine. Just treat it carefully and think about how a magnifying glass will fry ants and realize thats how poo poo fucks up and you're good.

Wait that's the only issue with outdoors? All this time I thought "oh the cameras must be really sensitive for controller tracking" i need to take the Quest Pro outside

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thinking of taking my Quest 3 to my local gym, and use the big open area to play Thrill of the Fight with no boundaries. Mixed Reality mode so I can see everyone staring and giggling at me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh yeah should I get Thrill of the Fight or Knockout League, or "other"

I am learning boxing stuff "irl" but I would also want a fun game in addition to any workout/simulation aspects

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh yeah should I get Thrill of the Fight or Knockout League, or "other"

I am learning boxing stuff "irl" but I would also want a fun game in addition to any workout/simulation aspects

Thrill of the Fight seems to be more applicable to irl boxing while also being the most brutal cardio out of all the VR games in existence. And it's half the price of Knockout League and Creed. Knockout League is more of a polished Punch-Out style pattern game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Snackmar posted:

Wait that's the only issue with outdoors? All this time I thought "oh the cameras must be really sensitive for controller tracking" i need to take the Quest Pro outside

Sunlight puts out absolutely stupid amounts of IR, which is more than enough to wash out stuff like tracking LEDs on controllers. The tracking cameras have no IR filters which allows them to pick up IR really well and work great for machine-vision type applications, but there's a reason why "camera" cameras block IR. Using the quest outdoors should be fine if it's overcast or dim, but if the sun's out and shining then I'd expect some tracking difficulties.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ChocNitty posted:

Thinking of taking my Quest 3 to my local gym, and use the big open area to play Tea For God

There ya go

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Thrill of the Fight whoops my rear end. Very engaging, very active.

Luckily the silicon face cover I have for Quest 2 fits on my 3 because I hate how sponges the foam feels when sweaty.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Sunlight puts out absolutely stupid amounts of IR, which is more than enough to wash out stuff like tracking LEDs on controllers. The tracking cameras have no IR filters which allows them to pick up IR really well and work great for machine-vision type applications, but there's a reason why "camera" cameras block IR. Using the quest outdoors should be fine if it's overcast or dim, but if the sun's out and shining then I'd expect some tracking difficulties.

not with the quest pro, the pro controllers are self tracking in the same way as the headset

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Snackmar posted:

Yeah, that and IR can get blasted out by direct sunlight. Won't hurt the hardware though. Just don't get light into the lenses and you're gangbusters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Beastie posted:

Thrill of the Fight whoops my rear end. Very engaging, very active.

Luckily the silicon face cover I have for Quest 2 fits on my 3 because I hate how sponges the foam feels when sweaty.

Zero VGS posted:

Thrill of the Fight seems to be more applicable to irl boxing while also being the most brutal cardio out of all the VR games in existence. And it's half the price of Knockout League and Creed. Knockout League is more of a polished Punch-Out style pattern game.

lol it being so cheap made me just impulse purchase based on this.

Giving stats on your punches by type and hand seems really useful. Also this is a really great application for MR lol, the last time i tried a melee combat game in VR i was constantly paranoid of whether i was going to run into something or hit something in the real world but being able to see those surroundings while playing feels so much better and I can focus

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If anyone is curious I found wired ALVR to be the best compromise between latency/fidelity/reliability for sims on the quest 3.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I use wireless with Virtual Desktop, and any latency or compression artifacts are imperceptible to me. Not having a cord tugging at my head is a huge immersion and QOL up lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0E0ovEVeN4

Another Sniper Elite. After the mediocre scores of the previous one, I didn't expect a new one.