Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

To go back to treat talk from a while back what is the best dollar to minutes of chewing ratio in a product that is available in multiple single serving pieces among the various animal genital and organ products?

My dog has decided her jaw isn't getting enough exercise and has been taking it out on various non-edible things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yak Milk treat bones :shrug:

That or filled bones.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You might also consider Kong wobble toys. You fill them with kibble, and then the dog has to knock them around to get the kibble out.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
My dog is a dainty chewer but she has enjoyed the yak cheese previously mentioned in the thread, as well as bully sticks. She never understood how to chew a Kong, and I doubt she even has the jaw strength to do it. They're strictly for licking in her book.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gangringo posted:

To go back to treat talk from a while back what is the best dollar to minutes of chewing ratio in a product that is available in multiple single serving pieces among the various animal genital and organ products?

My dog has decided her jaw isn't getting enough exercise and has been taking it out on various non-edible things.

Get another dog, have them chew on each other until tired.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gangringo posted:

Toby is a hella tough chewer and he really likes the beef tendon and braided collagen chews. They don't last forever, but they're pretty reasonably priced here and they will last a couple days each.

Also, I don't think I've ever posted Toby in here. We've had him almost a year now. :kimchi:

He's a big dumb idiot baby

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 31, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is Pavlov, my 11-year-old baby.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Here's the culprit

AtomikKrab posted:

Funny you should say that, she's had another dog here for the past week. Unfortunately he is the laziest lump of a Labrador you'll ever meet.

[Edited out for visible phone number, you're welcome - Roborodent]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 31, 2023

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

AtomikKrab posted:

One of my dogs favorite chew toy is another of my dogs ear - strangely dog number 2 is not as happy about this as he could be.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Casu Marzu posted:

He's a big dumb idiot baby

...Correct.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

We just adopted an 8 week old German shepherd puppy. We already had a 2 year old Jack Russell chihuahua mix. First 2 days have been fine, lots of sniffing and playing between them, a mild growl here or there from the 2 year old.

Today I gave the puppy a teething bone to deter him from chewing blankets and stuff and the Jack Russell took it from him. Puppy obviously thought this was a game and went after her and she got really nasty and snapped. It happened a second time which was worse, he has a small cut on his cheek.

They are back to playing with toys together like normal now. Fine outside chasing each other around like nothing happened.

Any advice on what to do with the Jack Russell going forward? We are definitely separating them at feeding times for the foreseeable future.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Douchebag posted:

We just adopted an 8 week old German shepherd puppy. We already had a 2 year old Jack Russell chihuahua mix. First 2 days have been fine, lots of sniffing and playing between them, a mild growl here or there from the 2 year old.

Today I gave the puppy a teething bone to deter him from chewing blankets and stuff and the Jack Russell took it from him. Puppy obviously thought this was a game and went after her and she got really nasty and snapped. It happened a second time which was worse, he has a small cut on his cheek.

They are back to playing with toys together like normal now. Fine outside chasing each other around like nothing happened.

Any advice on what to do with the Jack Russell going forward? We are definitely separating them at feeding times for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like the JRT may be guarding a little bit. Separating meals and treats is a good start but there is also some other training you can do.

Firstly desensitize each dog to the other getting treats. To do this you need to work with both dogs, but to start with its good if there is a barrier between them (like a stair gate etc). You basically are liberal with treats but deliver from hand to mouth rather than scatter. Each dog gets a treat in turn with a verbal cue - "DOGS NAME treat" hand treat to dog "DOG 2 NAME treat" hand treat to dog. Basically after doing this for a while each dog should learn that when you name the other dog the treat is not for them but its ok because they will get a treat too. After a while you can do this without a barrier between them.

The second thing you can do is work with the JRT on guarding. Its a longer process but start with a barrier that separates them but they can see each other. You give the JRT a chew or toy that is lowish value. Every time the GS approaches the barrier you reward the JRT with a higher value treat until the GS approaching is a good thing for the JRT. Takes time to work though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cool fall weather has finally arrived and Pickwick has 3x more energy than his usual fuckton of energy. We played tugofwar for an hour last night after an hour walk and he was still runnin around the house like crazy :negative:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Cool fall weather has finally arrived and Pickwick has 3x more energy than his usual fuckton of energy. We played tugofwar for an hour last night after an hour walk and he was still runnin around the house like crazy :negative:

Ours is like that. Lots of kongs and puzzles helped us. The mental and puzzle stimulation really can help.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Took Pongo to a county park that used to be logged property so it has a lot of good paths. We encountered a deer and I let Pongo sprint / stop / listen / sprint as he desired to track it down. (drat I’m out of shape)

We probably ran at a full tilt for at least a 1/4 mile, and drat if he didn’t get us within 50ft of the deer before it took off again.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Will third the yak chews, I got them on the threads suggestion and the pup loves them, they last much longer than bully sticks so they work out more cost effective.

Shes also been working away on an ostrich bone I got her a week or so ago and it's amazing value. It was like £16, so the price of 2 yak chews here, but it's lasted her so bloody long so far. She will be getting another when she's done with that one as it keeps her very occupied when needed.

Worth mentioning my wife got the pup, what I think, is a rams horn. It stinks like a farm yard and makes a racket on the hardwood floors as she's throwing it around and chasing after it, but she loves the drat thing too and goes nuts for that as well, she doesn't get that very often though because she goes "too nuts" over it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's my dog's birthday on Sunday, he will be 4.

To what extent is it safe to feed him a whole roast chicken? Or do I need to pick all the meat off the bones?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Cooked chicken bones are pretty notorious since they're brittle and the shards can gently caress up dogs internally. I'd definitely recommend cleaning the meat off and giving that to him instead.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Do we breed boneless chickens yet?

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

To what extent is it safe to feed him a whole roast chicken? Or do I need to pick all the meat off the bones?

Not safe at all.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

H13 posted:

If you want to see my tiny fluffy puppy grow into a tiny fluffy puppy, here's a link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GRslFM9

Amazing post-ad combo.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Prob better off giving him a raw, uncooked chicken tbh. The bones are very unlikely to cause him any issues uncooked and he's gonna enjoy it just the same.

If he's not a regular raw eater, he will prob have soft poop for the next day or so though.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I just found out that desexing your puppy involves 10 days in the cone of shame.

So I'm gonna have 10 days of my tiny good boy walking around the house looking sad with the cone of shame on his head.

And I'm expected to cope with this?

Good boy is gonna get so many goddamn hugs and treats.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Buy a soft cone or a donut cone.

It’s absolutely worth it.

They have vests you can buy as well depending on your dog.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
When Freja had her eye surgery we had both a soft cone and a doughnut for her and I recommend both.

The soft comes great for still feeding normally etc and allowing pupper to have a pretty unobstructed experience, but the doughnut, my god, if your dogs anything like mine, he will love the drat thing and use it as a permanent inflatable pillow to sleep in all kinds of weird spots.

(I think she's also going to have to have surgery on her other eye soon too which sucks)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the donut was so much more comfortable for mine too. She definitely used it as a pillow whenever she could.

It also makes it so drat much easier for them to eat and drink.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Andoman posted:

Sounds like the JRT may be guarding a little bit. Separating meals and treats is a good start but there is also some other training you can do.

Firstly desensitize each dog to the other getting treats. To do this you need to work with both dogs, but to start with its good if there is a barrier between them (like a stair gate etc). You basically are liberal with treats but deliver from hand to mouth rather than scatter. Each dog gets a treat in turn with a verbal cue - "DOGS NAME treat" hand treat to dog "DOG 2 NAME treat" hand treat to dog. Basically after doing this for a while each dog should learn that when you name the other dog the treat is not for them but its ok because they will get a treat too. After a while you can do this without a barrier between them.

The second thing you can do is work with the JRT on guarding. Its a longer process but start with a barrier that separates them but they can see each other. You give the JRT a chew or toy that is lowish value. Every time the GS approaches the barrier you reward the JRT with a higher value treat until the GS approaching is a good thing for the JRT. Takes time to work though.

So thank you for this. We separate them for feedings now, no high value treats in each others presence, tightly supervised playtimes together, and things have been pretty much perfect for the last 2 days.

My JRT hangs out primarily with my wife in her office so she got fence like barrier to block that off and it’s reduced a lot of stress.

As for treats, she (the JRT) only gets a training treat at the same time as the puppy does while they are outside for potty breaks, or of the puppy responds to something positively. But took your advice and it’s like you said, Dogs Name Treat, Dog 2 Name Treat. It’s been working well for 2 days so we feel it’s a good system for now.

The JRT is a manipulative little brat though LOL. She knows we will praise her if she gives a little nudge to the puppy with her nose, or if she gently paws at him to play. So now she goes out of her way to do that, immediately looks at us and sits and expects the reward (which we give of course). But it’s rubbing off on the puppy as he will in turn sit and look at us as well.

Started night time crate training tonight. Two days later than we should have but gave him a few nights to settle in. He’s sleeping in my sons room and he was nervous he couldn’t handle it. Puppy passed out after whining for about 30 minutes. So far so good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

H13 posted:

So I just found out that desexing your puppy involves 10 days in the cone of shame.

So I'm gonna have 10 days of my tiny good boy walking around the house looking sad with the cone of shame on his head.

And I'm expected to cope with this?

Good boy is gonna get so many goddamn hugs and treats.

Oof we gotta do that fairly soon. They are very much inside dogs so it's not like either of them are gonna go out on the town, but they're also littermates and the idea of him humping his sister weirds me out enough that they're getting fixed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The e collar is what we use because when he hits us with it we deserve it for keeping him get sick/ injured

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

goferchan posted:

Oof we gotta do that fairly soon. They are very much inside dogs so it's not like either of them are gonna go out on the town, but they're also littermates and the idea of him humping his sister weirds me out enough that they're getting fixed.

Fun fact, getting them fixed doesn’t mean they won’t just hump things or each other anyway.

Our Jack Russell/Chihuahua cross has been fixed since he was about a year old, and now pushing 9 he still can regularly be found after a period of “why is the dog being so quiet and where has he gone” looking confused and ashamed after humping his bed to completion.

Someone has to clean that up and it’s never him.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Our Female has started humping, normally me, when she gets overexcited etc. I was thinking about getting her neutered to curb it, I didn't realise it doesn't always fix it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We had a female Jack Russell when I was a kid and even after she was fixed she would regularly try and hump our giant lazy Maine Coon cat whenever he’d be sprawled out on the floor trying to sleep lol.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Evolution worked hard on those behaviors, and isn't going to let you get rid of them that easily!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hump them back

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My dog was a pediatric spay (because she was a rescue). No sex hormones since she was 10 weeks old and she still humps a leg if she gets overstimulated playing. I doubt she has any idea why she’s doing it because she gets this confused look on her face, but the instinct is there.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

cailleask posted:

My dog was a pediatric spay (because she was a rescue). No sex hormones since she was 10 weeks old and she still humps a leg if she gets overstimulated playing. I doubt she has any idea why she’s doing it because she gets this confused look on her face, but the instinct is there.

That's exactly what she does tbh, she's only 7 months old, so she's not even a teen by dog standards yet. She looks confused but happy and excited at the same time, like she doesn't get why she's SO excited. It's generally only with me though as I'm the only person that will play reasonably rough with her, I don't mind her biting and getting a bit mouthy with me as shes still teething a little bit and I know it's gotta feel nice for her and she's nice enough to not hurt me at the same time.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Following advice here I picked the meat off.

That's half of it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

AtomikKrab posted:

My 7 month old Pomsky was really enjoying all the playtime he got outside with other dogs and I felt he as missing that at home.

While contemplating if it was a good idea to get another dog I was made aware of a rescue dog who was rehomed unsuccesfully twice. I was a bit (well more than just a bit) weary but decided to go meet the dog and breeder, together with my dog and went on a 2 hour walk / play date.

Breeder was really nice and open and the story about rehoming checked out. First owners had a small child which got afraid so the owners figured it was a good idea to keep their dog in the crate when the child was awake (10+ hours a day…) :argh: :mad:

Second owner was away to work all day and figured his older dog, who was used to being alone a lot, would take care of raising the puppy. He didn’t take any time off of work either to train the pup and oversee how the old dog would take to the pup. Obviously this is not how it works and on top of that, the older dog didn’t like having a young active puppy around. Owner number 2 was a relative and returned the pup to the breeder once again :(

The play date went really well, doggo had all vaccinations, seemed perfectly fine but had no training in obeying commands or leash walking. He was good natured and got along perfectly with my dog, hardly any getting used.

Long story short: I now live with 2 good boys who chew on eachother until they’re tired.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Following advice here I picked the meat off.

That's half of it.

Happy birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Been having some house training struggles with the puppy lately. He’s not yet 9’weeks old so maybe my expectations are too high. He goes when he’s outside, no problem. What’s driving us nuts is when he wakes up for a nap or we turn our eyes for a few seconds, he pees.

He is learning to go with us outside, and he follows the other dog, but sometimes he’s up and pissing before I can even jump off the couch.

Crate training has been fine. He had an accident last night in the crate because he didn’t whine or make a sound to alert us. For the next few days/weeks we are going to set an alarm just to make sure he’s successful and doesn’t mess the crate. But, overall he loves his crates.

Pup pic: