Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Maybe after the Giants whiff on Ohtani and Zaidi has to justify his extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Then is there a viable path forward for them besides "run it back with a minor tweak or two"? I only asked about a hypothetical trade because I was struggling to see how the Yanks could surround Cole/Judge with sufficient talent before they're both out of their prime.

Of course if STAC is right and they are ready to pay a huge tax bill and end up the highest bidder for Ohtani, or Soto next year, then the discussion is moot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Can’t imagine why Mookie’s experience might have been different
I thought he had better like... personal brand awareness than this. He doesn't have to say poo poo about Bauer, and he certainly doesn't have to say he LOVES him ffs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kalensc posted:

Then is there a viable path forward for them besides "run it back with a minor tweak or two"? I only asked about a hypothetical trade because I was struggling to see how the Yanks could surround Cole/Judge with sufficient talent before they're both out of their prime.

Of course if STAC is right and they are ready to pay a huge tax bill and end up the highest bidder for Ohtani, or Soto next year, then the discussion is moot.

Ohtani makes no sense for the yankees unless they are somehow able to unload Stanton.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

I thought he had better like... personal brand awareness than this. He doesn't have to say poo poo about Bauer, and he certainly doesn't have to say he LOVES him ffs.

maybe he feels strongly enough about it that he doesn't care

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

kalensc posted:

There could be, but it depends on Rizzo, Stanton, and LeMahieu all returning to form, the latter two being .850+ OPS guys and LeMahieu hitting .275 with a .400+ OBP.

Then you also have to a) trade for Soto or b)sign Bellinger for the next 8+ years at a huge salary and hope he can reproduce last year. For the sake of argument, let's explore option a). I imagine you might start with Peraza and Schmidt going to SD (with others not on the 40). Then:

1) LeMahieu (3B)
2) Judge (RF)
3) Soto (LF)
4) Stanton (DH)
5) Rizzo (1B)
6) Torres (2B)
7) Wells (C)
8) Volpe (SS)
9) Kiermaier (CF) - also we signed him as a free agent.

R-R-L-R-L-R-L-R-L so we can finally balance the lineup again. That's a big plus and the defense would be dramatically improved in the outfield versus the dreck that was out there much of the year. We've already assumed a big return to form from the offense, so this group seems good enough to be top 6 in the AL and get a playoff spot. Losing Schmidt in the trade means that King probably has to be your number 3 starter (I think he gets this chance anyway, but you never know how things would go over 35 starts). Things look a bit grim after that and you probably resign Montas because Cashman likes him for whatever reason.

So, to recap, the only things you need are a) 3 players on their mid 30s to reverse extremely troubling injury-induced trends, b) negotiate a better return for SD than the other 10 or so teams interested in Soto without giving up even more off your 40-man, c) have a sophomore SS and rookie Catcher improve enough to solidify their jobs and start to be positives for the team, and d) find someone above replacement-level to play center field while waiting for Dominguez.

They're running it back as is. Thelma and Louise, here we come!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

maybe he feels strongly enough about it that he doesn't care
then he’s a loving idiot cause Bauer was an obvious rear end in a top hat before we all knew he likes to assault women

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

people have blindspots for their friends even when said friends are obviously terrible people

they think they see something in them that no one else does. other people don't understand them, etc

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We’ve definitely entered into this “counter cancel culture” era where people love to go “sure he’s a bigot/predator/scumbag but like why should I care, man? I just don’t pay attention to stuff like that.”

It sucks but is unsurprising.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JBristolKHOU/status/1719090330463502549

rangers looking to complete their revenge on the astros

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Intruder posted:

:bisonyes:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Intruder posted:

Just when you thought you were done with ultra old school gut-based managing...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

We’ve definitely entered into this “counter cancel culture” era where people love to go “sure he’s a bigot/predator/scumbag but like why should I care, man? I just don’t pay attention to stuff like that.”

It sucks but is unsurprising.
I feel like this has to be at least part of it. Otherwise I don't understand how you hear about all of the hosed up things he's accused of doing and go 'some team should sign him'.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh goddamn I hope that happens. Ron Wahington rules so hard I might have to suspend my Astros hate.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
At this point, especially after he lost the San Diego job to Jayce Tingler, gotta think there's something to all the rumors about Ron Washington.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn't he lose a job over cocaine or something

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Who didn't in the 80s

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Intruder posted:

Also beloved by clubhouse reporters

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also beloved by clubhouse reporters

Not female Japanese ones.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Mookie no

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't he lose a job over cocaine or something

Well that and sexual assault

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

oh god no

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Well Played Mauer posted:

Who didn't in the 80s

This happened in 2009

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'm pretty sure the only team Stanton would allow being traded to is the Dodgers

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m feeling pretty lousy but I just felt a lot better randomly remembering that John Rocker once went on Survivor, his his identity by saying he was John Wetteland, was quickly called out as a bigot and threatened to hurt people, somehow blamed Obama for him getting voted out or something, and then his girlfriend quit after she was caught stealing food and said it was because people judge her for being hot.

That gave me a laugh.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/BWDBWDBWD/status/1719164246611673324?s=20

Big Ashton Kutcher/Mila Kunis energy from Mookie here

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mookie you loving idiot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe mookie should have a sexual relationship with Trev, might give him a different perspective

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Tatsuta Age posted:

mookie you loving idiot

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Woof that sucks

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

STAC Goat posted:

I’m feeling pretty lousy but I just felt a lot better randomly remembering that John Rocker once went on Survivor, his his identity by saying he was John Wetteland, was quickly called out as a bigot and threatened to hurt people, somehow blamed Obama for him getting voted out or something, and then his girlfriend quit after she was caught stealing food and said it was because people judge her for being hot.

That gave me a laugh.

Jeff Kent was the one who yelled about Obama after being voted out lol. But John Rocker exposed himself as a huge coward and it was hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQGWY0woy0

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

STAC Goat posted:

That gave me a laugh.

Jeff Kent was the one who blamed Obama after he got eliminated from Survivor.

Efb

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Cubsposting hive mind strikes again

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

mookie you loving idiot

You can take the player out of Boston but....

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

STAC Goat posted:

That gave me a laugh.

And somehow John Wetteland might have been the worse human of the two.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bandire posted:

And somehow John Wetteland might have been the worse human of the two.

Oh Christ I had forgotten about the Wetteland stuff :barf:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dick Bremer is hanging it up after 40 years of announcing for the Twins. Here's hoping Cory Provus gets shifted to TV. I've said it before, but Provus and Morneau or Perkins would be an incredible TV booth.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Jeff Kent was the one who blamed Obama after he got eliminated from Survivor.

Efb

Thanks for re-affirming Jeff Kent is a gigantic piece of poo poo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1718044526390993343

https://theathletic.com/5006358/2023/10/27/mlb-rob-manfred-postseason-format-athletics-relocation-vote/?source=emp_shared_article

quote:

Manfred open to dropping maximum pitcher number to 12

Manfred believes that MLB’s 13-pitcher limit hasn’t done enough to encourage teams to get more out of their starters, and he is open to the idea of dropping the limit to 12.

“We went to 13, I don’t think it’s had the desired effect,” Manfred said. “There are a few numbers smaller than 12.”

But that change would not come as soon as 2024. Manfred declined to detail the potential on-field changes for next season, but after a slew of major rule changes this season, he’s often talked this year about wanting to keep next year’s changes smaller. He reiterated that point on Friday.

So it's (probably) not coming next year, but it sounds like Manfred's next crusade is against the opener, or really more broadly I guess just the trend of starters not going as deep and his main plan is to more severely limit how many pitchers an MLB team can carry on its roster. I kinda feel like this specific strategy would do less to prevent starters getting yanked early and more shift bullpen construction trends towards having multiple guys who can give you 2-4 IP to piggyback off the starter if they struggle or when hit the third time through the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who uses openers with regularity, I know the old heads sports media has been clutching their pearls about it for a few years but it doesn't seem to be that common.