Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Call Your Grandma posted:

Nah, the hockey player you're thinking of is Toronto Maple Leaf Legend Thomas Plikanec

This is violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Another Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjkmDhOeLj0

I was looking for something scary to screen on my projector while I hand out candy and I found the perfect thing

why would you do this

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's also from the players.

The NHLPA doesn't care about safety, just maximizing earnings.

That's not true. They care about comfort, looking cool, and not looking like weenies as well. Who cares about safety when your colleagues are going to call you mean names about wearing proper PPE.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/tsnsimmer/status/1719095499888726493?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Re-thinking my stance on Dorion after learning he bullied Pierre McGuire

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Rejoice the Penguins are bad. Jarry is bad. They can't score and it would appear they are coached exceptionally poorly. So :toot:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Rejoice the Penguins are bad. Jarry is bad. They can't score and it would appear they are coached exceptionally poorly. So :toot:

It's bizarre that on paper they are not terrible.
They are paradoxically still one of the faster teams in the nhl for overall foot speed, they get lots of quality shots, they give up low quality chances

They're honestly in that same position they've been the last time where they've fired the head coach and suddenly start looking like a contender out of nowhere
the pieces are still there, the numbers aren't lying, but christ the coaches are ready to be put out to pasture

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Penguins fans have been doing the "this team is completely hosed" bit since like 2019. I will believe they are dogshit when they finish in lottery position.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Penguins fans have been doing the "this team is completely hosed" bit since like 2019. I will believe they are dogshit when they finish in lottery position.

I don't see a lottery finish unless they get frustrated and stop playing. Their underlying numbers continue to be strong.

But they probably will finish like 5th in the Metro again lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't see a lottery finish unless they get frustrated and stop playing.

I think that might already be happening. But they're so slow it's hard to tell.

They are pretty bad on paper, if you take for granted that Letang is washed up (which he is). Unless you don't think speed is important. They are too slow to do anything effectively. Fire Sullivan if you wanna but that's not going to make them faster.

Either way, it's T minus about 5 weeks before the "Karlsson is unhappy in Pittsburgh" articles start making the rounds. From sources outside Dejan and pals, that is. He's probably writing that piece right now.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

They are paradoxically still one of the faster teams in the nhl for overall foot speed

This is insane. Except for Karlsson they are the slowest team in the NHL except for maybe the Caps. Are you accidentally watching games from 3 years ago??

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 31, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Rangers sweep their road trip despite the terrible reffing at the end of that game tonight.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Penguins have a real nice roster if you think it's still 2018. Similar problem for the Caps, I think. The Penguins stars seem to be a lot more effective as they age than Washington's, but I think long-term their outlook is a lot less optimistic. At least the Caps have multiple young-ish guys and some decent prospects. I don't know what Pittsburgh has when their window closes, and it's basically already closed.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Rangers sweep their road trip despite the terrible reffing at the end of that game tonight.

Canada stinks!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Pens have to stop playing Jarry. Get on the phone and make a trade for somebody's third goalie. I know Hellberg isn't playable in any circumstances and Nedeljkovic is going to be out a few weeks but Jarry has got to stop playing. It's ugly and getting uglier by the minute. And call all 12 teams on Jarry's whitelist and offer him around for free; unload him when Nedeljkovic gets back. He's finished in Pittsburgh and every game he plays just increases how much of the contract they're going to have to eat.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Penguins have a real nice roster if you think it's still 2018. Similar problem for the Caps, I think. The Penguins stars seem to be a lot more effective as they age than Washington's, but I think long-term their outlook is a lot less optimistic. At least the Caps have multiple young-ish guys and some decent prospects. I don't know what Pittsburgh has when their window closes, and it's basically already closed.

Absolutely nothing. They won't even have their first round pick in 2025 (San Jose will have it--unprotected). They are going to be the worst team in the NHL for 5 solid years, beginning next year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is insane. Except for Karlsson they are the slowest team in the NHL except for maybe the Caps. Are you accidentally watching games from 3 years ago??

The NHL has an advanced stat site for this stuff now called "EDGE" where you can compare skater/team speed, e.g.
https://edge.nhl.com/en/compare/teams/20232024-regular-PIT-20232024-regular-VGK

So the Penguins' overall NHL footspeed as an average player level is smack dab in the middle (dragged down by guys like Carter/Pettersson) but they actually are in up the third for "speed bursts over 20mph" so they're still skating fast, frequently

Even Letang, for all the speed he's lost, is still a top skater in the league

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

So the Penguins' overall NHL footspeed as an average player level is smack dab in the middle (dragged down by guys like Carter/Pettersson) but they actually are in up the third for "speed bursts over 20mph" so they're still skating fast, frequently

See to me that could easily read as "they're blowing coverages and missing assignments and they have to haul rear end a lot to try and catch up"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

See to me that could easily read as "they're blowing coverages and missing assignments and they have to haul rear end a lot to try and catch up"

I think it's bolstered a lot by Sullivan's "system" which is to have defensemen blasting through the neutral zone carrying the puck for breakouts
and that is, admittedly, a loving mistake to still be running with a team that is middle of the road rather than one of the fastest in the league precisely because when they get their pockets picked they can't beat a kid going full bore the other way

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1719163614072803665?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Worst hit I’ve seen in a while

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I may not be smart enough to understand the mechanics of why those stats don't correspond with reality, and being fully cognizant of the risk of just bein' a grandpa shaking my fist about the Eye Test... I still feel comfortable asserting the Penguins are slllloooooow. They lose the race to almost every puck. Teams carve them up in transition because they can't forecheck or get into the lanes in time. They can't consistently break the puck out via any method besides Karlsson skating it out himself because they can't get into open positions to receive passes quickly enough.

The alternate explanation is that they're still plenty fast and are just constantly out of position because Mike Sullivan has forgotten how to coach. I guess we'll find out which one of us is right when Sullivan is fired.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Yeah he's gonna get 2-3 games for sure I bet

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

They started looking real scrambly and confused jn coverage and not all on the same page as this trip went on but I’m chalking it up to still getting the system and less good practice time on a long trip

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8GCH5qf9IY&t=112s

The best reaction is the dude on the right who is just fully in a dissociative state.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I may not be smart enough to understand the mechanics of why those stats don't correspond with reality, and being fully cognizant of the risk of just bein' a grandpa shaking my fist about the Eye Test... I still feel comfortable asserting the Penguins are slllloooooow. They lose the race to almost every puck. Teams carve them up in transition because they can't forecheck or get into the lanes in time. They can't consistently break the puck out via any method besides Karlsson skating it out himself because they can't get into open positions to receive passes quickly enough.

The alternate explanation is that they're still plenty fast and are just constantly out of position because Mike Sullivan has forgotten how to coach. I guess we'll find out which one of us is right when Sullivan is fired.

Problem is they're fast relative to the league but Sullivan's system requires them to be the fastest team in the league

It's like how I play EA NHL (just constantly get breakaways and 2 on 1s by out skating the other team)

Except they can't. They aren't. They haven't been in ages. Give them whatever system a slower team like Detroit or Dallas is running and they should perk right up

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I guess the next Penguins coach is someone named J.D. Forrest, apparently?

Haha who am I kidding it's going to be Reirden, I'm sure he'll fix 'em right up

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

deoju posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8GCH5qf9IY&t=112s

The best reaction is the dude on the right who is just fully in a dissociative state.

The girl in the back just laughing all the way through. Fully jokerfied.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yager is having a pretty good d+1 season so far but outside of that there's pretty much nothing. I'm not super high on Pickering myself. And there's nothing in WBS right now

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Re: skating speed

https://x.com/jhanhky/status/1716462704645308868?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

EDGE is measuring top speed and bursts, but the vast majority of game situations don’t involve a player skating downhill with open ice in front of them. I think a lot of what people consider team speed has to do with puck movement over raw skating talent too, of course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah he's gonna get 2-3 games for sure I bet

Clifton got 2 for a less bad one, so at least 3 and probably 4.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The NHL has an advanced stat site for this stuff now called "EDGE" where you can compare skater/team speed, e.g.
https://edge.nhl.com/en/compare/teams/20232024-regular-PIT-20232024-regular-VGK

Even Letang, for all the speed he's lost, is still a top skater in the league

At first glance this seems pretty cool since I've been complaining about the NHL sharing next to nothing from shot/skating tracking. The top skating/shot speed seems a bit useless though, as does average. Bursts are more interesting because what you care about is speed when it matters (contested plays) not whether guys are hammering shots into empty nets or standing motionless behind the net while teammates complete a change.

Sorta efb by Koopa.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

Clifton got 2 for a less bad one, so at least 3 and probably 4.

every hit to the head so far this year has been 2, so thats my guess, maybe 3 since it looks worse

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

They started looking real scrambly and confused jn coverage and not all on the same page as this trip went on but I’m chalking it up to still getting the system and less good practice time on a long trip

Agreed but they find ways to win which is encouraging. Kakko should not take breakaways :lol:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

neoaxd posted:

The girl in the back just laughing all the way through. Fully jokerfied.

Never, ever, EVER gets old watching Leafs fans eat poo poo

Lol'ing all the time

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I just saw the video of that Johnson incident, how the gently caress is that not an intentional kick?

Also Chicago bad, let's stop talking about Bedard

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Matt Zerella posted:

But also considering Saturday night you could also say they swept their road trip because of the terrible reffing

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Every night the Kraken pull ahead by 2+ goals early, and every night they relinquish the lead. I do not understand how this works. Tonight they pulled off the OT win at least against the Lightning.
XG says the Pens are very good and the Kraken are perfectly average, for whatever that is worth to all of us doomposter fans.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Bedard vs Cooley tonight, kinda surprised I haven't heard more about it. Usually the hockey media loves to hype up when two top rookies play each other for the first time.

Well, goal for Bedard, Assist for Cooley, both still at 6 points. Don't know is Bedard is as big a deal with the Chicago PP, but Cooley has been rock solid on PP1 and has 5 of his 6 assists on it. Because goals are sexier than assists along with the previously built hype, Bedard is still the frontrunner, but I'd be surprised if there is much daylight between the two as far as points total goes at the end of the season.

Also I just can't figure out the Coyotes yet this season. They seem to score a ton of goals some games, next to none other games. Same on the flip side, let in nearly no goals or ALL THE GOALS. Only 8 games in, so small sample size, just a little odd as they usually have one problem all the time rather than two problems, sometimes.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Pens fans do this every year, they're the worst. Slow start and it's the apocalypse.

They are not a lottery team! They are not as bad as San Jose and Chicago. They may very well continue to decline and not have a good year but calm down and give.it time.

For any team: it's 9 games into the season. Chill.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

fawning deference posted:

Pens fans they're the worst.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/unfortunatehky/status/1719174590994219496?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

The Pens having a 5-on-3 with 22 seconds left and losing in regulation fuckin rules, sick clapper from the point, Geno

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

darkwolf220 posted:

Also I just can't figure out the Coyotes yet this season. They seem to score a ton of goals some games, next to none other games. Same on the flip side, let in nearly no goals or ALL THE GOALS. Only 8 games in, so small sample size, just a little odd as they usually have one problem all the time rather than two problems, sometimes.

they’ve been the team I’ve been watching most behind the Avalanche and they just look like a young team going through inconsistencies in structure on both ends. Tourigny seems like a really good coach but it’s just hard when you have young kids and new vets (Dumba, Zucker before he got hurt) working through it. the trade they made in the offseason for Durzi for a second looks like a major steal though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/unfortunatehky/status/1719174590994219496?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

The Pens having a 5-on-3 with 22 seconds left and losing in regulation fuckin rules, sick clapper from the point, Geno

That was a great snipe at like 65 mph