Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Gameboy Castlevanias have a real weird case of just feeling like wading through molasses, particularly noticeable when platforming and not getting nearly as much horizontal distance as you really want, which drags down the experiences (and they're not amazingly designed beyond that big caveat so it's not that hard to write them off).
Shame Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth hasn't made it off WiiWare, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Kins posted:

The Game Boy Castlevanias generally don't seem very well-liked.

there’s one I remember being pretty bad and one that was quite good, idk which one this is tho

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Augus posted:

there’s one I remember being pretty bad and one that was quite good, idk which one this is tho
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge is usually remembered as the best of the brick series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Belmonts revenge is great, it has a stage select like Mega Man

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The first one and Legends are rough. The second one is surprisingly good compared to the first. And then Legends was made by some outsourced team that basically only made that one game. It was miserable to try to beat as a kid. But I also had no idea how the special powers you got after bosses were supposed to work. So the full heal probably makes it way more tollerable.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Dracula Appraiser posted:

And then Legends was made by some outsourced team that basically only made that one game.

IIRC, Legends was made by the same studio that made the Saturn port of SotN, the Nagoya branch of Konami. And apparently that's all they did before they were dissolved, yeah.

EDIT: I was wrong. MobyGames lists them as having done a bunch of other titles before they closed down.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 31, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is Murasame Castle the game that's referenced in Super Mario Maker 2, when a bunch of... Ninjas? Fly past the screen?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

how in the absolute heck are there people with over 7000 points in suika game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is Murasame Castle the game that's referenced in Super Mario Maker 2, when a bunch of... Ninjas? Fly past the screen?
Yep. Also had a minigame in Nintendoland on the Wii U, and I think one of the Samurai Warriors Wii ports had a mode themed on it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It'd be cool if they'd give us the SNES Mystical Ninja. Mario Wonder is a blast, the online stuff is very well integrated, I like putting stands right after a hard part so people can skip it if they want.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

It'd be cool if they'd give us the SNES Mystical Ninja.
Apparently Japanese players have been demanding Goemon games very loudly and getting nowhere, so good luck.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Dracula Appraiser posted:

The first one and Legends are rough. The second one is surprisingly good compared to the first. And then Legends was made by some outsourced team that basically only made that one game. It was miserable to try to beat as a kid. But I also had no idea how the special powers you got after bosses were supposed to work. So the full heal probably makes it way more tollerable.

The first one was at least also a very early Game Boy game. Legends really doesn't get that excuse. It came out after Symphony of the Night!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Apparently Japanese players have been demanding Goemon games very loudly and getting nowhere, so good luck.

They're also owned by Konami, so good luck getting blood outta that stone.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

EightFlyingCars posted:

how in the absolute heck are there people with over 7000 points in suika game

hackers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's interesting playing Mario Party 3 on a modern platform, the textures hold up a lot better than 1&2's.

Also why is Tumble's head not the One dot on the Die? :colbert:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Has anyone played Metal Gear Solid enough to know how the Psycho Mantis fight handles not having a 2nd controller plugged in?

And here I was thinking I was the only one who thought about/remembered that. Thanks for the answers. I’ll probably buy it, it’s been 20 years or something.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Halloweeniest Switch game?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

detention
inside
limbo

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yes, buy the DIL package :wink:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Silksong. Cuz it's a ghost.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

this show is so good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1719447068631245234?s=46

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Get Signalis.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Godlike man

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

That’s a good last Halloween chuckle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
DK Mountain baby.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1719701295013953729

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Sweet! and on the European 9/11 no less

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's interesting playing Mario Party 3 on a modern platform, the textures hold up a lot better than 1&2's.

Also why is Tumble's head not the One dot on the Die? :colbert:

Yeah for a minute I thought they must have done some work on it because it scales so much better to HD

I remember duel mode being fun, don't think I'm gonna survive a full playthrough of story mode though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol that the math went from “they’re including every single Mario Kart track ever in the DLC” to “uhh I guess 2 total N64 tracks made it in” thanks to like a dozen Tour tracks loving up the math.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Those tracks make sense since they were all in Tour as well, but the last course being yet another Rainbow Road feels like a dud.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

American McGay posted:

Lol that the math went from “they’re including every single Mario Kart track ever in the DLC” to “uhh I guess 2 total N64 tracks made it in” thanks to like a dozen Tour tracks loving up the math.

As somebody who hasn't touched Mario Kart Tour and never plans to, I honestly appreciate them putting in so many tracks from it. That means I actually get to play these courses!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

It feels like the Tour tracks are smaller, but have more shortcuts or route changes. I think they're pretty good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

American McGay posted:

And I'm glad they did.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Tour tracks seem pretty easy compared to the retro ones so far. And I have trouble telling them apart by name alone. I don't know if it's London or Cleveland until I drive through some big Luxor Pyramid prop in the second lap. But at least they're something.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tour -14
New - 6
3ds - 4
Wii - 8
DS - 4
GC - 3
GBA - 5
N64 - 2
SNES - 2

I'm curious what tracks have not been remade previously or are just currently missing from MK8. And yeah, feels like to many Tour courses. But the 6 new courses have all been pretty good.

A neat feature would be if you could just sort by game and play those courses as a circuit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There are now 5 Rainbow Roads in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and Rainbow Road 3DS is still the best one by far

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Meowywitch posted:

Godlike man

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i love john carpenter and hope he achieves his dream of directing a Dead Space movie and i will also buy and play the hell out of his upcoming zombie videogame even though it's probably going to be mid af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

Tour -14
New - 6
3ds - 4
Wii - 8
DS - 4
GC - 3