Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What the hell are they doing adding a 14" Pro with 8GB of RAM? Even the mid-tier default config only has 8 GB of RAM... BOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mllaneza posted:

With the important difference that there isn't a $100 price premium for black. That was such a flex on their customers. OTOH the black one looked really good.

I bought an original BlackBook when I started law school in 2006, and had some classmates that bought the white ones. The black was absolutely worth it just to avoid seeing the palm rests turn yellow.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the black MacBook made the white ones a little embarrassing; this will be the same again

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The only thing that stings here for me is the AV1 support as I was irked my M2 didn’t have it when I got it. That said, bug the time that gets widely adopted and rolled out it’ll likely be time for an upgrade anyway. Raytracing is neat but I don’t piddle in modeling these days and god knows I don’t have time for big budget gaming, you know, on my Mac laptop.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Splinter posted:

What the hell are they doing adding a 14" Pro with 8GB of RAM? Even the mid-tier default config only has 8 GB of RAM... BOOOOOOOOO

It replaces the 13” MBP which also came with 8gb of ram

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

FCKGW posted:

It replaces the 13” MBP which also came with 8gb of ram

Sure that's the reasoning, but still...BOOOOOOOOO

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I was a little surprised that the top-end GPU config for the M3 Max only went up to 40, since the M2 Max had gone up to 38 from M1 Max's 32, but still, the future M3 Ultra likely being a 32 core CPU 80 core GPU option is going to be really powerful.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m annoyed I bought a base 14 pro m2 in July. I went silver, because space gray is lame. But drat, I would have gone for the space black. Everything else about the m3 pro is a whatever upgrade from the m2 pro. But still. Annoying. Good thing I have a d brand skin in black. But still… grumbles.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

I don’t have to buy a new iMac yet. Thank you Tim.

Brother you know a new iMac Pro is never happening at this point lol

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God. I hate. Hate. How much I want a Blackbook Pro. My M1P-MBP is fine. It's fine. It handles my work and my VM and my work VM without breaking a sweat, and only Slack group calls make the fans audible because lol Electron. But what if I want to game with traced rays? And what if it could be black?! Why am I like this. The only saving grace is that I categorically cannot afford to buy a new Macbook Pro right now and so I am assured another year or two of suffering under the M1 Pro before upgrading. Truly a pitiful existence.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Fedule posted:

God. I hate. Hate. How much I want a Blackbook Pro. My M1P-MBP is fine. It's fine. It handles my work and my VM and my work VM without breaking a sweat, and only Slack group calls make the fans audible because lol Electron. But what if I want to game with traced rays? And what if it could be black?! Why am I like this. The only saving grace is that I categorically cannot afford to buy a new Macbook Pro right now and so I am assured another year or two of suffering under the M1 Pro before upgrading. Truly a pitiful existence.

My M1 MBP from three years ago is still chugging along and doing everything I need it to do. The AC+ expires next month, and I just spent money to get it physically fixed. And I still want that Space Black… 🤤

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I would never buy a black MacBook. What if someone mistook it for a dell or a Thinkpad from a distance? The silver brushed aluminium is what separates us from the barbarians.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Fedule posted:

The only saving grace is that I categorically cannot afford to buy a new Macbook Pro right now and so I am assured another year or two of suffering under the M1 Pro before upgrading. Truly a pitiful existence.

You want pitiful, think of us who are still stuck with Intel lap heaters that require you to shut off every browser extension just so you can watch sporting events without jitters..

And not to pick nits, but I found it discouraging that they're trumpeting the arrival of hardware raytracing with a few scenes from what, Resident Evil Village and Myst? I thought they had some whiz bang Japanese developer with a knock your socks off app that showed bullets and giblets and arterial spray all lovingly ray traced for your amusement..

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Well, guess I’ll wait until the Studio gets an update, because M3 looks like a genuinely compelling upgrade over M2. Does anyone suppose that’ll happen before Q2 of next year? Because I can’t imagine this will help sales of the Studio as it stands…

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

How do you get to 18GB though with evenly sized memory chips? I get that there's 12GB and 24GB dimms but that's 1.5x the "normal" 8GB and 16GB options.

Can you just make any size now? What're the rules here now? If this is an option why the gently caress did Nvidia ship a $400 GPU with only 8GB of VRAM earlier this year?

I figured it out, since the pro is a cut down max its 6GB chips in triple channel.

Skeezy posted:

That's the power of M3 baby.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

You want pitiful, think of us who are still stuck with Intel lap heaters that require you to shut off every browser extension just so you can watch sporting events without jitters..

And not to pick nits, but I found it discouraging that they're trumpeting the arrival of hardware raytracing with a few scenes from what, Resident Evil Village and Myst? I thought they had some whiz bang Japanese developer with a knock your socks off app that showed bullets and giblets and arterial spray all lovingly ray traced for your amusement..

I legitimately think that this event was somewhat "rushed"; obviously it was planned given it's pre-recorded and all, but it seems like they really wanted to get the M3s into at least the MBPs to help boost sales, given I think sales have recently been disappointing.

I have a feeling we won't probably see any true efforts on the mesh shading/ray tracing front until WWDC.

The Lord Bude posted:

I would never buy a black MacBook. What if someone mistook it for a dell or a Thinkpad from a distance? The silver brushed aluminium is what separates us from the barbarians.

Pfft, some of the most legendary Apple laptops were black. Nobody is mistaking any type of Apple laptop for a crummy Dell or Thinkpad.

Hasturtium posted:

Well, guess I’ll wait until the Studio gets an update, because M3 looks like a genuinely compelling upgrade over M2. Does anyone suppose that’ll happen before Q2 of next year? Because I can’t imagine this will help sales of the Studio as it stands…

I imagine that they'll do the Airs and mini in the March/April timeframe, and then do update the Studio and Mac Pro at WWDC.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What’s genuinely compelling about M3 vs M2? I didn’t watch the thing. Is it just shaders and ray tracing for games that don’t and will never exist?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

American McGay posted:

What’s genuinely compelling about M3 vs M2? I didn’t watch the thing. Is it just shaders and ray tracing for games that don’t and will never exist?

Bro, do you know how smooth Genshin Impact is going to be?? And uh, Rise of the Tombraider??

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

American McGay posted:

Better battery life, it's on TSMCs cutting edge 3nm process and Apple has helpfully removed 2 of the fast cores from the M3 Pro compared to the M2 Pro to help battery life even more.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

American McGay posted:

Not a lot which is why they focused the comparisons on the M1.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

And it's got... wait for it... dynamic caching!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm mildly interested in seeing actual technical analyses of how well this GPU nonsense works in practice. It sounds very clever but also it sounds like one of those things Apple gets very excited about and then turns out to not be of use anywhere outside Final Cut.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Lies of P is on the App Store and that's all I need.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay so the M1 Pro was 8p2e, M2 Pro was 8p4e, and M3 Pro is 6p6e while the Max models have 4e. What's, uh, happening here?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

American McGay posted:

I’ll have you know, sir, that open source games will go from running at a meaningless high three digit number of frames per second to a meaningless low four digit number!

Number
Go
Up

Seriously, the more I think about it for my use cases I don’t think it’d matter whether I chose an M2 or an M3 for a Studio. I’ll probably make do with my Air until next WWDC…

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

Energy and heat efficiency, since the m2 is just an overclocked m1 with some minor architecture changes to address a graphics bottleneck

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fedule posted:

Okay so the M1 Pro was 8p2e, M2 Pro was 8p4e, and M3 Pro is 6p6e while the Max models have 4e. What's, uh, happening here?

Maybe efficiency cores are now getting more efficient than prev generations so overall performance and battery life improves with more efficiency cores?

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Just got done watching this, and it explains a fair bit of why this M3 lineup is a bit weird.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Who likes the Magic Mouse? Really really likes it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=453jnIlu_5s

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DeusIgnis posted:

Just got done watching this, and it explains a fair bit of why this M3 lineup is a bit weird.

So now Apple instead of being beholden to Intel is now beholden to TSMC. Apple fabs when?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

So now Apple instead of being beholden to Intel is now beholden to TSMC. Apple fabs when?

lol literally never

apple will use whoever gives them the best terms with sufficiently good technology. if say this new canon lithography endeavour works out, they'd happily switch. for now tsmc does the job

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I haven't crunched the numbers but its like when you sell enough roast chickens (Costco), spinning up your own chicken farms start making a lot more sense.

Oh just checked Apple accounts for 25% of TSMC business.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Apple dual sourced chips from samsung and tsmc on the 6s and they get displays from multiple manufacturers. It there was another fab as good as tsmc they would use them too.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Seems the Japanese developer stuff was just rumor mill bullshit trying to speculate about why they chose to run the event at a different time of day than the past normal.

I actually thought Myst was a neat Mac specific callback. The original game was built in HyperCard, and its graphics were rendered on Mac Quadras using a software raytracer. Kinda cool that what used to take on the order of minutes or hours per frame is now realtime.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The keynote had a "the new chips are far better than the several year old intel mac" message that felt a bit desperate. Also it's hard to justify replacing a 27" 5k intel imac with an apple silicon 24", it feels a far cheaper product in hand.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SlowBloke posted:

The keynote had a "the new chips are far better than the several year old intel mac" message that felt a bit desperate. Also it's hard to justify replacing a 27" 5k intel imac with an apple silicon 24", it feels a far cheaper product in hand.

I don't know why they don't just call out a current year model of laptop from the competing brands. Nothing's *reeeally* stopping them.

I mean

Besides being compared toa real gpu at the same price bracket, that is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I want my 12.9 oled m3 iPad already

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I want my 12.9 oled m3 iPad already

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i also want an ipad mini tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the Mini will get the M3 when the Air does, I wanna replace my 2018 Mini with an M3 Pro one

Edit: Mac Mini not ipad mini!