Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
But the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
new resume enhancement just dropped
https://twitter.com/roshanpateI/status/1719030157229326662

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

good top energy, but not the kind of motherfucker you'd want in your back walls by a long shot

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

800 million? Pathetic

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i want to hear more about the massive corporate overhaul they facilitated at a fortune 100 company as a summer intern. that's not something you can do when you're shooting blanks

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

this dude should beat off more

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

52 vo2 max is pretty good but not really brag on your resume about it good.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

post hole digger posted:

52 vo2 max is pretty good but not really brag on your resume about it good.

It is a great number with 800 million sperm in your lungs, tho.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

my t level is through the roof *shotguns a bottle of itoen*

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Senior Frontend Engineer

Requirements:
* 1-2 years professional javascript experience
* JUICERS NEED NOT APPLY

Senior Database Engineer

Requirements:
* 5-10 years professional MySQL experience
* >=900 ng/dl testosterone. No questions asked.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i've heard of test driven development but...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sapozhnik posted:

i've heard of test driven development but...

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

good top energy, but not the kind of motherfucker you'd want in your back walls by a long shot

lol

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I have half a mind to A/B test applying to web3 companies with and without my max deadlift on my resume

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i just started at a new hugecorp and i am being reintroduced to the shell game of "never bill to O&M even when you're specifically doing O&M"

i dont know or care about cap vs maintenance but its definitely the strongest example i've ever seen of "a metric ceases to become useful the second someone starts paying attention to it"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Corla Plankun posted:

i just started at a new hugecorp and i am being reintroduced to the shell game of "never bill to O&M even when you're specifically doing O&M"

i dont know or care about cap vs maintenance but its definitely the strongest example i've ever seen of "a metric ceases to become useful the second someone starts paying attention to it"

lol I wish I could detail my corp's shenanigans without potentially doxxing myself but yes billing is the hugest racket. It's a bludgeon used to deflect responsibility to people who actually produce work rather than manage it; you can read and justify anything from a bill rate

My third eye opened the day that I realized that some people are employed for the sole purpose of absorbing billable hours. Any actual useable work produced by those employees is a fringe benefit

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

today i googled securities fraud for unrelated reasons and its hard not to interpret cap vs o&m billing as anything but stock manipulation but i guess when corporations do it its fine

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

today i googled securities fraud for unrelated reasons and its hard not to interpret cap vs o&m billing as anything but stock manipulation but i guess when corporations do it its fine

:911:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

it was the nu metal guy, wasn’t it? i also appreciated wikipedia noting that at least 10% of publicly traded firms do the fraud.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Corla Plankun posted:

Corla Plankun posted:

What does cap vs O&M billing signify in this case?

Is the implication that cap is capex and thus ends up getting amortized on the balance sheet and shows up as an asset versus O&M is money spent this year and probably next?

If you're making bug fixes and installing systems that are intended to render benefits over a long period, wouldnt it be capex (asking for a friend)?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 2, 2023

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

it was the nu metal guy, wasn’t it? i also appreciated wikipedia noting that at least 10% of publicly traded firms do the fraud.

yeah! lmao

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

What does cap vs O&M billing signify in this case?

Is the implication that cap is capex and thus ends up getting amortized on the balance sheet and shows up as an asset versus O&M is money spent this year and probably next?

If you're making bug fixes and installing systems that are intended to render benefits over a long period, wouldnt it be capex (asking for a friend)?

yes cap is capex and every place I've worked that has billable cap has had explicit rules about billing an exact percent of your time to it (75-100) regardless of what you are doing, especially if what you are doing is operating and maintaining existing systems

literally every worker is told to fake their hours every week and getting this wrong is one of the only ways you can get in trouble at an enterprise bigcorp

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

O&M is deductible against your revenues once and once only. Capex represents a permanent improvement that you can claim against taxes as it depreciates every year AND borrow against AND use to market yourself AND fulfils promises of growth you already made

There are not enough tax inspectors in the world to investigate even a fraction of what actually happens so you get entire companies built on miscategorization

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dijkstracula posted:

I have half a mind to A/B test applying to web3 companies with and without my max deadlift on my resume

when I show up to an OS/deadlift competition and my competition is Dawson Engler

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i'm pretty sure there's no way i'd survive a week at a faang

idk your direct manager matters so much

my first staff meeting here, I had a list of bugs I'd worked on and was ready to talk about them, my boss gets there, closes the door, and says "hey has anyone heard any cool rumors???"

the manager across the hall had daily drop down 1:1's with every member of his staff. now I would've wilted under that kind of scrutiny, but ive lasted 7 years here at this point

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

my first staff meeting here, I had a list of bugs I'd worked on and was ready to talk about them, my boss gets there, closes the door, and says "hey has anyone heard any cool rumors???"

well of course you like it if your manager is the player character in a 90s CRPG

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

JawnV6 posted:

the manager across the hall had daily drop down 1:1's with every member of his staff.

what the gently caress

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i do that with interns and people on the razors edge of pips that are about to be fired

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

where do you find the time to have daily 1:1s with all your reports, do you have no other work?!?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

JawnV6 posted:

when I show up to an OS/deadlift competition and my competition is Dawson Engler

i met this mf once. talk about strong static typing

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

rotor posted:

where do you find the time to have daily 1:1s with all your reports, do you have no other work?!?

:thejoke:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i once had a manager that had 57 direct reports (half contractors) and i literally talked to that guy twice a year and it owned owned owned

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

BORN TO MANAGE
ORGCHART IS A gently caress
Pip Em All 2023
I am micromanage man
410,757,864,530 1:1 HOURS

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Corla Plankun posted:

i once had a manager that had 57 direct reports (half contractors) and i literally talked to that guy twice a year and it owned owned owned

how do you get promoted tho

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

CarForumPoster posted:

you switch jobs :confused:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

perhaps by appearing to do work while not using up their time at all

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

perhaps by appearing to do work while not using up their time at all

I've realised that I'm not good enough/willing to work hard enough to do well at my current job so this is my strategy instead

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Not a Children posted:

O&M is deductible against your revenues once and once only. Capex represents a permanent improvement that you can claim against taxes as it depreciates every year AND borrow against AND use to market yourself AND fulfils promises of growth you already made

There are not enough tax inspectors in the world to investigate even a fraction of what actually happens so you get entire companies built on miscategorization

my job title is software "developer" so all my time goes under "R&D". we're explicitly told only to put our major projects onto the timesheet and that it must add up to 100% of our time!

I guess when the tax incentives get moved to maintenance or something they'll finally rename us software janitors

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
got laid off yesterday from a big 4 firm that starts with a d and ends with a stupid loving green dot. motherfuckers I know your profit margins my salary is a rounding error goddamn I’m pissed

luckily i kinda saw it coming and I’ve already had 2 interviews lined up. took a break from making stuff to try my hand at at consulting and I was bored to tears so I was already looking to move on. spur in my rear end to move faster

edit: they paid for my cissp like 6 months ago so thanks for that on the way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

JawnV6 posted:

:lol: