Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

OddObserver posted:

I think a lot of people also don't realize how socially conservative USSR was in many cases. In case of women, it wasn't "a woman's job is in the kitchen" but rather "a woman's job is at a gender-appropriate job and also the kitchen".

Like a lot of things in the early years of the USSR, lofty ideals and a willingness to experiment turned, at least partly, into "new boss, same as the old boss". Some of it came from a hardening of attitudes towards a more "traditional" role of women in society after initial experiments, some from a backlash against the more progressive expressions of Marxist feminism (as distinct from liberal "bourgeois" feminism) and the politic sidelining of the practitioners thereof (Kollontai, for example). This accelerated, post-Lenin, and equality born of ideals rather than necessity didn't even start to return until fairly far after the death of Stalin.

That's not to say the Soviets didn't try, or didn't have their successes. Soviet women, generally, were very involved in the new push for education and reaped the same benefits as men. This helped create new opportunities for women in daily life, the sciences, and the political realm, not only through the education itself, but by being taught (and teaching) as equals to men. Women had a voice, women could use that to uplift themselves and each other, as equals to men and each other.

Sounds great, right?

Append, "in theory", to that and remember that it was unevenly applied. Remember, too, that life continued to be very harsh for the vast majority of Soviet peoples. No time, no resources, and ruled by a government that all too frequently threw away the will and well-being of the proletariat in the name of [insert high-level functionaries' bright ideas] or the hard reality of survival. Better then, to quash any elevation of peoples and get nose to grindstone. Women labor in field, factory, and home. Women raise the children. Women follow and support. We all do. Don't we, dear worker?

The idea was there though. It was possible to be heard, to succeed, and to change the fabric of Soviet life. Far harder for a woman to do so, but possible. It wasn't communism as a system that made it that way, but the stultification of individual thought and action in Soviet society that kept women from having a greater or more visible role. This extended to communist countries in the Soviet sphere. It was present in nearly all countries, regardless of ideology. It still is. The Glass Ceiling was and is present, all over the world.

Feminism is the recognition of equality of the sexes. It's not specific to either (or any) sex. It's rarely, actually, recognized and acted upon to change the construct of whatever society the idea exists in. That we all exist in. The fact that people fight for that, that they fight alongside each other for that, inside their societies and without them, validates the idea.

Pardon our very slow progress. Or don't. Really, get pissed about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Why, yes, I have been day drinking and am posting screeds in... ah, the Ukraine war thread in GiP.

Whoops.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Murgos posted:

For a while I was attached to a training unit and there were two salty AF hash mark 81mm mortar E-4s there who would have would have straight told any lt butting in on a misfire to go gently caress himself before he gets them all killed.

I guess that's essentially the difference between a professional military and one staffed by conscripts.

A sergeant in motion outranks a lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on, and an ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

M_Gargantua posted:

Got demoted to Knee

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Internet VFW > Ukraine Thread: Got demoted to Knee

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Buncha uncultured uneducated fucks in the Eastern European war thread. Come on, that a Hip became a Hind? :colbert:

windshipper fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 31, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

A sergeant in motion outranks a lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on, and an ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.

Fuuuck. Who was the ordnance tech here. Iyyass, Inynass? loving something along those lines. Acronym, backronym, whatever. Did recreation of US Rev War?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

windshipper posted:

Buncha uncultured uneducated fucks in the Eastern European war thread. Come
On, that a Hip became a Hind? :colbert:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

madeintaipei posted:

Fuuuck. Who was the ordnance tech here. Iyyass, Inynass? loving something along those lines. Acronym, backronym, whatever. Did recreation of US Rev War?
IYAAYAS was ammo. It’s not really the same thing in the Air Force: ammo builds bombs, EOD takes them apart and is a different job.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kazinsal posted:

I love that comic too

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

madeintaipei posted:

Why, yes, I have been day drinking and am posting screeds in... ah, the Ukraine war thread in GiP.

Whoops.

One of the macabre benefits of this war is learning so much about Eastern European culture and history

I can't speak to everyone's experience, but as an American born after the Soviet Union dissolved, it took until college before I learned anything substantial about Eastern European society, postwar, in an academic setting, excluding Poland. I didn't even learn about the soviet war in Afghanistan in school, despite that war's belligerent's active "interaction" with America at the time, and while Georgia was being invaded, not a single teacher pointed it out on a map

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Maybe it's because of the manner in which it collapsed, but for some reason the USSR has escaped the same level of scrutiny that Nazi Germany did. But I do think education has something to do with it: while the fascists and the Nazis were covered substantially in my high school curriculum in the early 2000s, the Soviet Union got very little mention outside of their role in supporting the opposing side in various US-involved conflicts throughout the second half of the 20th century.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mzuri posted:

guided by our lieutenant and a weapons mech

god "Weapons Mech" sounds so much cooler than it is

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

born after the Soviet Union dissolved

Hang on. I need to go lie down.

I had to explain what the Warsaw Pact was to a friend's college-age daughter recently, so I'm going to guess that's pervasive.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Madurai posted:

I had to explain what the Warsaw Pact was to a friend's college-age daughter recently, so I'm going to guess that's pervasive.

Welcome to being old, it only gets worse from here.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Madurai posted:

My first memory was of the Berlin Wall falling. I was three.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kaal posted:

That's way, WAY better than my first memory.

It was filling my crib with vomit and diarrhea after being fed a pineapple milkshake by my father when he took me to go see King Kong(1976).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It was filling my crib with vomit and diarrhea after being fed a pineapple milkshake by my father when he took me to go see King Kong(1976).

Mine was beaning myself on the kitchen countertop overhang on my third birthday.

Actually quite a few of my early memories are head injuries.

...This explains a lot, thinking about it.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Kazinsal posted:

Mine was beaning myself on the kitchen countertop overhang on my third birthday.

Actually quite a few of my early memories are head injuries.

...This explains a lot, thinking about it.

I fell down a set of wooden stairs while carrying a plastic guitar at 2 years old and remember it.

I’m there with you on the head injuries.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kaal posted:

I remember my elementary school teachers discussing how a bunch of stuff in curriculum was no longer relevant, and being really confused as to why (this was shortly before Ukrainian independence; I was in elementary school). Also remember hearing about Bill Clinton's election on the black and white TV we had in the kitchen and wondering what that meant.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Kaal posted:

I touched a sparkler at a barbecue

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

I had a fever, climbed out of bed, pulled open my sock drawer, and peed in it as if it were a urinal.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
E: nvm derail

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
None of my memories are very clear anymore. Vague memories of a neighborhood I left when I was two or getting lost in the middle of traffic with my dog when I was four, bits and pieces of camping... the Challenger disaster is my first memory of things happening outside my little corner of the world, but since I lived on the west coast there's no way the memories I retained could have actually happened as I recall them.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Not quite earliest memory but I distinctly remember taking a car ride out of Grafenwöhr and looking down on a train of flatcars stretching across the valley loaded up with tanks heading for Kuwait in Desert Shield.

Also vaguely remember standing in a big field watching the 82nd parachute in on their return from Panama.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My parents freaking out because Kennedy got shot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

orange juche posted:

Welcome to being old

I don't know about anyone else but I thought it would take longer to happen

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My parents freaking out because Kennedy got shot.

Which one?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I thought it would take longer to happen

It took longer than you thought, you just don't remember because of the senility

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

For me I think the first major world event I remember seeing on TV were the Yugoslav wars.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

JFK

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My earliest memories are of Edmonton in the early 80s

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mikerock posted:

You may be eligible for for compensation.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Y’all, this is the Ukraine thread.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

mikerock posted:

I'm sorry for your lots.

(Calgary in the early 80s)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

FrozenVent posted:

Y’all, this is the Ukraine thread.

Do you know how many Ukrainians live in the Prairies???

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I worked at a McDonald's in the '90s because I'm old (Ha! Suck it IK) and it must have been a family or connections thing, but easily half the staff were Ukranians on work visas. They'd work for the length of the visa, go home, then get another and do it again. Nice people, Maxim and I had fun talking about random cultural poo poo from our countries.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1719319760129650965

quote:

Sanctioned Russian Oligarch Alexei Kuzmichev Arrested in France

Russian billionaire #AlexeiKuzmichev, the co-founder of #AlfaGroup, has been arrested for alleged tax fraud, money laundering and violation of #EU sanctions.

I'm surprised that the revocation of their privileges, seizures of their foreign assets and cuts into their wealth have yet to make the Russian oligarchs tired of Putin. But I'm happy seeing them suffer, nonetheless.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mikerock posted:

"The Boy in the Oiler's Pyjamas". There's your autobiography title.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

FrozenVent posted:

Do we know what caused the riot?

They were looking for Jewish people to murder at the airport. Like a thousand people stormed the tarmac with Jew murder bloodlust.

Enjoy a HIMARS guys, good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arrath posted:

I had a fever, climbed out of bed, pulled open my sock drawer, and peed in it as if it were a urinal.

Enough about Friday night