Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Keir Starmer: Israel-Hamas ceasefire may risk further violence
That is some powerful ministry of truth energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Skarsnik posted:

This all sounds like an excellent argument for

*nods while looking at the Culture Mind which runs everything for us*

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

If cleaning toilets paid the same as the job I already have then I’d rather be cleaning toilets.

Yeah I've cleaned toilets, except for the poo poo money (heh) it was fine.

(Except for when that troubled person was writing on the bathroom mirrors with her used tampons :gonk: )

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Speaking of work I'm trying to get into a comfortable zone where I feel like I can pull a sicky every now and then. That's probably not entirely accurate to say, but sometimes work just drains me so much that I need a mental health recuperation day, and I'm not yet at the point where I feel like I can do that personally.

I'd also have to tell me current employer I've got a tummy bug or something, but the time off probably would benefit me more than not.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Mitchell and Webb were ahead of their time

https://youtu.be/co_DNpTMKXk?si=LbLnJM3VdUP7vWwz

grobbo
May 29, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/31/keir-starmer-israel-hamas-ceasefire-may-risk-further-violence

Kieth is at it again

"Keir Starmer: Israel-Hamas ceasefire may risk further violence

A permanent ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war could risk further violence, Keir Starmer is expected to say, as he attempts to quell growing tensions within his party over the conflict."

What a leader. What vision. What a worthless oval office.

Responding to a firm public (and even firmer voter-base) consensus on an ongoing atrocity that's already claimed the lives of 3000+ children with "well, these naive little people simply need to take a more pragmatic view on the potential strategic fallout of a ceasefire" is a statement of such brazen carelessness and cynicism that politicians generally wait to deploy it until they're safely in power.

But hey, what do I know, Keith.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Wait that wasn't the stunning reveal from that fabian podcast mentioned here was it?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol they're already pushing the garbage out with the keithwater

Just loving lol

"What an irony if Labour damages its election chances by falling apart over something an opposition can’t influence. Because no one can influence these events, it’s easier to land the moral blame closer to home – so Labour is the useful punch bag for the Gaza tragedy."

I dunno you could try opposing the status quo you daft shill

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 31, 2023

grobbo
May 29, 2014
"We did say at the Labour conference that we intended to prove to voters that we're a party and a leadership built around strong ethical principles, but if you really think about it pragmatically - what's the point lol we can't change anything as we're not in power yet"

grobbo fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 31, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
73% of the country is wrong, including over 90% of Labour voters. No gently caress you we won't tell you why. You're an antisemite if you even ask!

Why are people turning towards antisemitic conspiracy theories instead of the logical pragmatism of the Labour Party?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

PriorMarcus posted:

Speaking of work I'm trying to get into a comfortable zone where I feel like I can pull a sicky every now and then. That's probably not entirely accurate to say, but sometimes work just drains me so much that I need a mental health recuperation day, and I'm not yet at the point where I feel like I can do that personally.

I'd also have to tell me current employer I've got a tummy bug or something, but the time off probably would benefit me more than not.

an old guy I knew was a coal miner from a colliery up near durham somewhere and he said the union would send people round to your house every now and then to make you use your sick leave if it was getting near year end because 'we had to fight to get it so you better get using it'

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

lol they're already pushing the garbage out with the keithwater

lol at "he's not playing politics" while attempting to take a stance to explicitly avoid political controversy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is everyone here deliberately operating beneath the criminal threshold?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

kecske posted:

an old guy I knew was a coal miner from a colliery up near durham somewhere and he said the union would send people round to your house every now and then to make you use your sick leave if it was getting near year end because 'we had to fight to get it so you better get using it'

Since working from home became a thing I definitely take less sick days because I work through poo poo that otherwise I would have gone “gently caress it I don’t wanna leave the house” for, so I’ve ended up throwing sickies just to make sure I’m still making the most of the fact we’re entitled to some paid sick time.

Use it or lose it, I guess.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Keir sucks rear end so loving much, an absolute ghoul with dead shark eyes

No humanity, english

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I can't find it but this all reminds me of a poster I saw a while back, I think made by some radical African-American group, that basically said there are plenty of jobs. Thousands of jobs need doing, there's so much important work to do. The problem being that there is often very little overlap between that work and 'things you can actually get paid to do', at the moment, because capitalism insists that the only legitimate work is stuff that makes a profit for someone.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1719057179242606678

If a pile of poo poo had a facial expression

In other unworldly, godforbidden bullshit:

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1719055211451306003

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Beneath?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I can't find it but this all reminds me of a poster I saw a while back, I think made by some radical African-American group, that basically said there are plenty of jobs. Thousands of jobs need doing, there's so much important work to do. The problem being that there is often very little overlap between that work and 'things you can actually get paid to do', at the moment, because capitalism insists that the only legitimate work is stuff that makes a profit for someone.
I've been looking for that recently too without any luck, but I know the exact one you mean, the one that basically says "look at the state of our houses, our parks, our children's play areas, lol if you think there's no work"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Since working from home became a thing I definitely take less sick days because I work through poo poo that otherwise I would have gone “gently caress it I don’t wanna leave the house” for, so I’ve ended up throwing sickies just to make sure I’m still making the most of the fact we’re entitled to some paid sick time.

Use it or lose it, I guess.

This makes sense though (that you can work through 'sick' if WFH).

When I lived & worked in London, my daily commute typically totalled 3.5-4 hours and at least once a week 5-6 hours if there was a points failure or person on the line or whatever , much of it standing on tubes & rushing through a mainline train station, and approx 3 miles of walking to/from stations, along platforms, through concourses etc.

If I were off sick, then even if I felt ok at home, the journey to work would finish me off, so I finally decided that I didn't go back to the office until I could do a 3 mile walk without dying.
Apart from that time they demanded in no uncertain terms that I turn out for a meeting with the bigwig from one of the TOCs (who was convinced we were 'avoiding' her) when I had actual flu and was so patently unwell they sent me home again after all the effort of getting there.

I don't actually know what the provision for my current p/time work is (I just sign the dotted line every year) as we can WFH and on the whole they're pretty flexible about you making up hours throughout the week (and I'm already a couple months ahead with unpaid overtime - it's made very clear that it's 'on me' if I choose to do overtime despite the fact that if I haven't achieved whatever the boss puts on my monthly supervision - I hate that phrase, I think it's one social work uses and our salary scales are tied to social work ones- I prefer 1to1 - she has a go at me for not being able to solve climate change / food shortages / housing crisis / global conflict etc in my technical 18 hrs a week which seems to morph into 25-30+ most weeks (dropping down to 10 from January at my request). And all for an hourly rate less than the cleaners of our communal areas get.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

I've been looking for that recently too without any luck, but I know the exact one you mean, the one that basically says "look at the state of our houses, our parks, our children's play areas, lol if you think there's no work"

Yes that's the exact one! Cannot for the life of me find it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Be gay, operate below the criminal threshold

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know what operating beneath the criminal threshold is but it sounds cool.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Permanent ceasefire could cause future violence is a The Whitest Kids U Know skit, prove me wrong.

I've got one of those flat silicone toilet brushes and they're a lot nicer to work with than anything written by Hegel.

Well as far as the English political establishment is concerned, there is a Permanent Ceasefire in Northern Ireland.

But now there is a chance of future violence*, so Ipso Fatso ceasefires kill more people than they save.

*= As for why there is a chance that violence might kick off in Northern Ireland decades after a Permanent Ceasefire, there is no point in examining what has happened that could have caused that. It's a mystery. :iiam:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes that's the exact one! Cannot for the life of me find it.
Found it!

grobbo
May 29, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know what operating beneath the criminal threshold is but it sounds cool.

i think it's when you just drive around in gta minding your own business

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's what these people are up to

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1719315606082666577?t=MATVfiCcohLKfZsaTdN5uQ&s=19

"And where will this Palestinian state be built you ask? Oh you know, just over there, out of frame..."

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
If anybody ITT hasn't yet read Bullshit Jobs (column or the book), they should:

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/david-graeber-on-the-phenomenon-of-bullshit-jobs-a-work-rant

quote:

Even more perverse, there seems to be a broad sense that this is the way things should be. This is one of the secret strengths of right-wing populism. You can see it when tabloids whip up resentment against tube workers for paralysing London during contract disputes: the very fact that tube workers can paralyse London shows that their work is actually necessary, but this seems to be precisely what annoys people. It's even clearer in the US, where Republicans have had remarkable success mobilizing resentment against school teachers, or auto workers (and not, significantly, against the school administrators or auto industry managers who actually cause the problems) for their supposedly bloated wages and benefits. It's as if they are being told ‘but you get to teach children! Or make cars! You get to have real jobs! And on top of that you have the nerve to also expect middle-class pensions and health care?’

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cat botherer posted:

If anybody ITT hasn't yet read Bullshit Jobs (column or the book), they should
Seconding this, and also the documentary Decade of Fire for more on the kind of political environment that "there is work to be done, let's build our neighborhood" poster operated within and against.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=282qnqL08iY

Property speculators and landlords in the South Bronx alone killed more people and ruined more homes than the Luftwaffe did over Coventry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also just reminded myself that Rachel Reeves quoted Reagan word for word on the 'magic wand' poo poo while ruling out a wealth tax.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1719315606082666577?t=MATVfiCcohLKfZsaTdN5uQ&s=19

"And where will this Palestinian state be built you ask? Oh you know, just over there, out of frame..."

Proposing to make Palestine Mandatory is he?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Isn't that a crime under current government rhetoric?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Madagascar.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

Keith will later claim he was misquoted: he’ll help create a Palestinian state of mind, so any survivors of the genocide can download a free app to help them imagine a world where they’re allowed to live free and fulfilling lives :waycool:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the app is powered by ai

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Means-tested Palestinian state where you apply for citizenship on an app that doesn't work

E:, gently caress beaten by 3 seconds

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

MyStine™

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

OwlFancier posted:

the app is powered by ai
and sells user's location data to the IDF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Palestinians will be given a means tested voucher for online training so that they can develop their own app and grow their economy.