Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

BonoMan posted:

Ok what the hell. I thought I had this solved, but no dice.

Android 14 - Pixel 7.

I'm taking some simple product shots on a white light box background. I bump up the exposure in the camera app to blow out the background, and when I look at the snapped photo in the camera app, it looks great.

But when I download from photos, the exposure is somehow set back to normal and the background is all mid-tones. What is going on?!? Occasionally one *will* retain the exposure... but if I sit there and take 5 or 6 more with the same exposure settings, the rest are all reset to 0.

Question still remains - any recommended camera apps beyond the stock one? I love Filmic Pro for video control, but it doesn't do stills.

I really like Open Camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So after initially being hesitant to upgrade from P5 to P8, after having this from launch I love it.

It's basically the same phone but with a much better screen.

Crazy viewable in the bright Aussie sun where the P5 was basically useless.

Was originally sceptical about the optical finger print reader, but it hasn't missed a beat since the start.

Speaking of, i read a lot about the underscore FP not working the best on the P6/7, but wonder that now as it's still optical, and that screen is crazy bright now that may be that was the problem?

Now it's able to hit a higher peak brightness, it being optical works better than before (along with other improvements that may have occurred).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BonoMan posted:

Ok what the hell. I thought I had this solved, but no dice.

Android 14 - Pixel 7.

I'm taking some simple product shots on a white light box background. I bump up the exposure in the camera app to blow out the background, and when I look at the snapped photo in the camera app, it looks great.

But when I download from photos, the exposure is somehow set back to normal and the background is all mid-tones. What is going on?!? Occasionally one *will* retain the exposure... but if I sit there and take 5 or 6 more with the same exposure settings, the rest are all reset to 0.

Question still remains - any recommended camera apps beyond the stock one? I love Filmic Pro for video control, but it doesn't do stills.

Lightroom should give you the “pro” controls even with the free features

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That really sucks, what other problems did you have? Is that your first Pixel?

Nope, had a 3 and a 5. My wife has the standard 6 and has had zero problems with it. I just got unlucky.

The usb c port stopped working and I had to send it back for repair and the battery after a year is absolutely woeful. I don't get a full day out of it now.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

My Pixel 7 Pro just rebooted randomly (while charging), and I have no idea why. And I realized I have no idea how I would check the crash log, if such a thing exists, to figure out why. I probably wouldn't even know it had rebooted if I hadn't noticed the flash of the logo on the screen while it was sitting on the desk beside me.

Is there a log of some sort I can look at to see device health history? If so, where would I find it?

The troubleshooter for "random restarts" is basically "Factory reset your phone and call us in the morning" so that's not helpful. I'm just really curious what caused the restart.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tagra posted:

My Pixel 7 Pro just rebooted randomly (while charging), and I have no idea why. And I realized I have no idea how I would check the crash log, if such a thing exists, to figure out why. I probably wouldn't even know it had rebooted if I hadn't noticed the flash of the logo on the screen while it was sitting on the desk beside me.

Is there a log of some sort I can look at to see device health history? If so, where would I find it?

The troubleshooter for "random restarts" is basically "Factory reset your phone and call us in the morning" so that's not helpful. I'm just really curious what caused the restart.

My Pixel 8 has crashed once a day over the past few days. A bad Google Play Services update maybe?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I got a spontaneous reboot overnight a few days ago. I don't really worry about it unless it gets frequent

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Could it have possibly updated?

I remember reading a setting for update overnight and when I googled it it claims you could do that starting with the pixel 4

I'm too scared to mess with wake up alarms to ever do that on a workday though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
does anyone use the work profile? i've avoided installing any work stuff on my personal device but android 14 seems to quarantine it so i guess that's ok. i went here and scanned the QR code and it added a new "Work" tab in my app drawer with a bunch of crap already in it. i wasn't asked for an account or anything. i tried to uninstall things we don't use like slack, zoom and skype but this happens

whatever, right? it's the work profile. i install Teams from the work profile play store and it starts up and lets me sign in, but tells me i need "Intune Company Portal" before i can use it with a helpful link to "Get the app." i bring it up on the play store and there's a "Your administrator has not given you access to this item." message. what's the deal? i removed the work profile entirely and started over, trying to install intune before anything else, and i get the same message. what administrator is it talking about? i haven't even signed in yet

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Your IT department needs to fix that. I use the Intune Company Portal to install work apps in their own sandbox. And don't worry about Skype, pretty sure it's not really installed, it's just available via work. You can't remove the option of it being there, but it does no harm.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Your IT department needs to fix that. I use the Intune Company Portal to install work apps in their own sandbox. And don't worry about Skype, pretty sure it's not really installed, it's just available via work. You can't remove the option of it being there, but it does no harm.
that's impossible. i removed the profile entirely and started over and could not install Intune. it failed before even giving it my work email address. there's no way my IT department could have anything to do with it

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
The work profile has its own login, are you using your work email? It sounds like you're saying Google play says you don't have access, which is based on the account you're using on Google play. I think anyway.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i did not have a work profile. i went to this page
https://www.android.com/enterprise/work-profile/
i scanned the QR code and my phone did a bunch of stuff by itself. it did not ask me for an account or email or password or anything like that. it added a "Work" tab to my app drawer with a bunch of apps installed by default. i was able to install Teams and other microsoft apps from the play store and they appeared in the Work tab. when trying to log in to them, i was directed to install Intune, with the message that i don't have access to it.

i figured i did things in the wrong order, so i removed the work profile entirely, which removed the work tab. i then scanned the QR code from the above android.com link and it did the default setup again. i went to the play store before anything else and tried to install Intune but the same message is there. i didn't log in to work, give it an email address or anything that could possibly tie it to work yet, so there isn't any "administrator" who could give me access

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
That qr code says it's for a demo so that's probably why. Go to settings on your phone and enable work profile there for the real thing.

If you're on samsung use shelter app from fdroid to get it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's just a demo? Says so on the page. I'm sure scanning that code isn't the proper way to set up a work profile you actually want to use.

E: always late somehow

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Resdfru posted:

That qr code says it's for a demo so that's probably why. Go to settings on your phone and enable work profile there for the real thing.
ah well that explains it. can you be more specific about where i go in settings? i found that page by google searching because i couldn't figure it out. i have a pixel 8 pro

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I think you did it the wrong way. You need to install intune from the regular play store, and that will handle setting up the work profile, etc.

At least, that's how ours works.

Intune and Duo are installed via my play store, and the office apps, etc are through the work profile store.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i removed the work profile and was able to install intune, but i go to sign in and it tells me my device is going to be managed by my company. i thought the whole point of the work profile was to separate all that bullshit, and i have to have an extra app installed on the personal side of my phone too? i've avoided putting work stuff on my phone up until now, and i was hoping the new features would let me have it work the way i want

here's what i want
-no extra apps on the personal side of my phone. i have exactly 32 and that makes for 8 rows in the drawer
-for my company stuff to be separate so if they wipe it or whatever it doesn't mess with my personal stuff
-to be able to turn off work stuff so no one can bug me unless i enable it myself

is there a way i can do this?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Is there any way to always show the big clock on the lock screen/always on display? I'm guessing turning off lock screen notifications would work, but I'd rather not give those up. It certainly seems like there is at least room for the notification icons when there is a big clock. Maybe there's a third party solution (that doesn't involve rooting)?

Pixel running 14.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm not sure as I have samsung, I assumed you could just enable work profile in settings somewhere.

Looks like you try following this: https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9370410?hl=en#zippy=%2Cim-using-my-own-personal-device

You could also try Shelter which just forces work profile to be available and you can install what you want in it. Not sure if that causes issues with Microsoft stuff. I use it on my Samsung with Google work stuff with no issues.

I don't remember if shelter is on regular play store but if it is it might only be updated on f droid

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.typeblog.shelter/

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

butt dickus posted:

i removed the work profile and was able to install intune, but i go to sign in and it tells me my device is going to be managed by my company. i thought the whole point of the work profile was to separate all that bullshit, and i have to have an extra app installed on the personal side of my phone too? i've avoided putting work stuff on my phone up until now, and i was hoping the new features would let me have it work the way i want

here's what i want
-no extra apps on the personal side of my phone. i have exactly 32 and that makes for 8 rows in the drawer
-for my company stuff to be separate so if they wipe it or whatever it doesn't mess with my personal stuff
-to be able to turn off work stuff so no one can bug me unless i enable it myself

is there a way i can do this?

The remote wipe is just for the work profile. Your main profile is still yours.

Can't get around having the intune. You're going to have 33.

You can snooze the work profile as a part of base Android.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there a way to get my cell connection to turn off if it connects to a specific wifi, and to turn back on when it disconnects? On a pixel 3a

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

I got a spontaneous reboot overnight a few days ago. I don't really worry about it unless it gets frequent

My 6a will reboot overnight, every night if I have adaptive charging turned on. Turning that off, no overnight reboots. Turning it back on, nightly reboots resume. Been like that since release. I just leave it off.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

The remote wipe is just for the work profile. Your main profile is still yours.

Can't get around having the intune. You're going to have 33.

You can snooze the work profile as a part of base Android.
this answers everything, thank you

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

butt dickus posted:

For what it's worth, I don't have InTune in my personal apps. I actually don't have it in the work apps either, just "Company Portal".

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Spikes32 posted:

Is there a way to get my cell connection to turn off if it connects to a specific wifi, and to turn back on when it disconnects? On a pixel 3a

Macrodroid could probably do that

Tasker too obviously but it would be massive overkill

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hooah posted:

For what it's worth, I don't have InTune in my personal apps. I actually don't have it in the work apps either, just "Company Portal".
it shows up as "Company Portal" on mine. i've started the setup and it fails when i try to enable device management, but that's a different problem i'll take up with my company

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Skarsnik posted:

Macrodroid could probably do that

Tasker too obviously but it would be massive overkill

Thank you!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Could it have possibly updated?

I remember reading a setting for update overnight and when I googled it it claims you could do that starting with the pixel 4

I'm too scared to mess with wake up alarms to ever do that on a workday though.

I didn't see an update notification but it's possible.

That's why I would really like to find a log that tells me what just happened :argh:

That said, I tried to use my camera today and the app crashed which was odd. It worked fine when I opened it the second time though... things seem a little chaotic in there right now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

butt dickus posted:

Hopefully that isn't part of the multi-profile system because Android 14 broke that poo poo hard. Your device will just randomly decide to stop working and it will force a factory reset. But don't worry. It only took Google about 3 weeks to acknowledge the problem and they got top men on the job.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I've been using multiple profiles on 14 since it dropped. Both on my 6 pro and now 8 pro.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Tagra posted:

That's why I would really like to find a log that tells me what just happened :argh:
Maybe you can root around via https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/logcat ?

Looks like the logs aren't kept around forever so you'll have to do it right after a crash most likely https://stackoverflow.com/a/73276421

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know I've complained about the fringing on my Pixel 7 camera before but this CANT be normal operation right? This isn't blur. I've taken this photo 10 or so times. Clear on a small circle in the middle and ghosting as you go outwards. The black packaging helps it be clearer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks pretty similar to my S23U when you prevent it from using the UW as a macro.

With a bonus of a lot more lens distortion.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

BonoMan posted:

I know I've complained about the fringing on my Pixel 7 camera before but this CANT be normal operation right? This isn't blur. I've taken this photo 10 or so times. Clear on a small circle in the middle and ghosting as you go outwards. The black packaging helps it be clearer.

This is about what my P7 photos look like too.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hooah posted:

InTune/Company Portal disappears for me from the personal side once the work profile is setup correctly

butt dickus posted:

it shows up as "Company Portal" on mine. i've started the setup and it fails when i try to enable device management, but that's a different problem i'll take up with my company

Does your company's IT department have a guide you can follow to set things up correctly? Mine does and it was fairly straightforward.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 1, 2023

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

This is about what my P7 photos look like too.

I thought Pixels took good photos? Cos good lord that is dog poo poo

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
How close are you taking those photos? I get a similar result on my P5 if I'm like a few inches from a flat surface like that, like just at the limit of where it can focus in the center. Moving the camera back just a few inches makes a significant difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This one looks pretty rough too around the edges.

Taken with a Sony A6700 with the very lens that came out of that box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Alan_Shore posted:

I thought Pixels took good photos? Cos good lord that is dog poo poo

Yeah I should clarify, this only happens when I'm taking photos of a subject that's less than about 12 inches away from the lens.