Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought Dave loved women's wrestling. Didn't he love AJW in the 1980s and a bunch of women's wrestling in the 1990s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Women's wrestling reminds him of his ex-wife. He hates it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

fart blood posted:

I thought Dave loved women's wrestling. Didn't he love AJW in the 1980s and a bunch of women's wrestling in the 1990s?

AJW in the 90s is an insanely fast paced violence fest. Just the most balls to the wall wrestling style I have ever seen. It was really hard on everyone involved but if you are there for work rate wrestling it was the hardest going poo poo there ever was. They stiffed each other, they flew, the twisted each other in to pretzels. Manami Toyota is what you get if you combine Taz and Sabu into one wrestler, and she wasn’t even the hottest thing going in the company because Akira Hokuto may be my favorite wrestler I have ever seen. She had an intensity in the ring i have never seen matched. I totally get Dave being gaga over it, even though it was an objectively less hot company than it was in the 80s.

But like as an addendum, it really could not last, bodies broke down and the competition took away stars. Competition they had a very big hand in creating because they didnt pay people as much as they deserved and because they forced a bunch of really loving great wrestlers into retirement in their 20s and when they brought them back for big shows it became very clear that not only were they still over they could still go, so they decided to make their own loving shows. By 95 the AJW roster was a shadow of itself.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 30, 2023

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

remusclaw posted:

AJW in the 90s is an insanely fast paced violence fest. Just the most balls to the wall wrestling style I have ever seen. It was really hard on everyone involved but if you are there for work rate wrestling it was the hardest going poo poo there ever was. They stiffed each other, they flew, the twisted each other in to pretzels. Manami Toyota is what you get if you combine Taz and Sabu into one wrestler, and she wasn’t even the hottest thing going in the company because Akira Hokuto may be my favorite wrestler I have ever seen. She had an intensity in the ring i have never seen matched. I totally get Dave being gaga over it, even though it was an objectively less hot company than it was in the 80s.

It really cannot be understated how violent classic AJW was. You hear about it reflecting the pop idol system in Japan and how its audience was mostly teenage girls back then, and none of that really prepares the viewer for the intensity and emotion in the big matches. It doesn't look like a real fight so much as it feels like one, and it's very easy to believe that those women were legit trying to kill each other.

What Meltz really hates is comedy in wrestling, which I don't understand at all because so much stuff in American wrestling is inherently silly.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Comedy wrestling basically is what helped me stay interested in wrestling between 2008 - 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave's taste in women's wrestling a couple years ago was Tessa Blanchard and Charlotte are the best women's wrestlers and now it's pretending to watch Stardom.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't watch any, but I always just assume the best women wrestlers are japanese. That's just how it always seems from the vibes. I wish that style became more common in other territories.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

What Meltz really hates is comedy in wrestling, which I don't understand at all because so much stuff in American wrestling is inherently silly.
when njpw did one of their first big american shows, dave was really surprised that Yano was one of the biggest pops of the night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

I don't watch any, but I always just assume the best women wrestlers are japanese. That's just how it always seems from the vibes. I wish that style became more common in other territories.

The actual best woman wrestler is Tessa Blanchard. AEW and WWE are both very interested in signing her! One will any day now!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

The actual best woman wrestler is Tessa Blanchard. AEW and WWE are both very interested in signing her! One will any day now!

The trouble is they keep jamming up the phone trying to call her and Matt Riddle at the same time, interest is so high in each from the major promotions!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shard posted:

It's not so much the style as the dojo training atmosphere. For all its faults (namely bullying), it does produce good wrestlers on average but I don't see the US implementing it anytime soon.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CombineThresher posted:

It's not so much the style as the dojo training atmosphere. For all its faults (namely bullying), it does produce good wrestlers on average but I don't see the US implementing it anytime soon.

It’s because the Japanese dojos hammer in the fundamentals for a long time before they allow the wrestlers to do anything else. So you’ll almost never see a Japanese wrestler who can’t run the ropes right or do a solid lock up.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The_Rob posted:

It’s because the Japanese dojos hammer in the fundamentals for a long time before they allow the wrestlers to do anything else. So you’ll almost never see a Japanese wrestler who can’t run the ropes right or do a solid lock up.

Lucha has a similar reputation, although obviously that style has additional complications for rookies.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRafTer posted:

Dave's taste in women's wrestling a couple years ago was Tessa Blanchard and Charlotte are the best women's wrestlers and now it's pretending to watch Stardom.

I don't think there was ever a time Dave would have rated either of them as better than Asuka. His bias towards Charlotte was obviously mostly due to his relationship with Ric as well. I think their relationship soured though because Dave was definitely more critical of him during the Dark Side scandal than I thought he would be.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dave trying to argue that the Halloween matches on Halloween Havoc were actually “spooky” rather than “Halloween” themed is incredibly Dave

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Sandman left ECW for WCW and now makes his triumphant return to the land of extreme! One of the most iconic moments in the entire company, The Sandman surprises everyone and shows up during the Impact Players vs Tommy Dreamer and Raven Tag Team Title Main Event. Also, Sign Guy Dudley is upset that the Dudleys left him behind and he is now known as Lou E. Dangerously, the greatest manager in all of pro wrestling. The first thing he does is bring back former ECW Champion, Mikey Whipwreck! Mikey gets the crap beat out of him by current ECW Champion Mike Awesome! Plus, the evil Tajiri battles Jerry Lynn! And the DEADLOCK Q&A Returns!

Happy Halloween!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

All my dealockites please watch the UFC 1 SGH Its very funny.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ahello, and welcome to the mcnichols a[rena]

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Suplex Liberace posted:

there is really nothing funnier on earth than bad MMA

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Suplex Liberace posted:

Yeah that really might have been one of their best SGH's, a lot of genuine WTF reactions from them throughout it. I hope they do the next one at some point, sounds like this episode was pretty popular so it seems likely.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dude was wearing a SINGLE boxing glove!!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Yeah that really might have been one of their best SGH's, a lot of genuine WTF reactions from them throughout it. I hope they do the next one at some point, sounds like this episode was pretty popular so it seems likely.

Isn’t ufc 2 the one with joe son (random task from austin powers) and the fight where he got his balls obliterated?

drat, upon looking it up, that’s ufc 4

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i forgot UFC 2 is a one night 16 man tournament, grueling for the fighters.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there is really nothing funnier on earth than bad MMA

i wish they knew booker t was in the front row for their watch this of kimbo/dada

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Suplex Liberace posted:

i forgot UFC 2 is a one night 16 man tournament, grueling for the fighters.

Gruelling for the fans too, and that was with them only broadcasting one first round match.

rotinaj posted:

Isn’t ufc 2 the one with joe son (random task from austin powers) and the fight where he got his balls obliterated?

drat, upon looking it up, that’s ufc 4

Yeah awful rapist Joe Son got his balls smashed in UFC 4, & was in Kimo's corner at UFC 3 (when Kimo came out carrying a cross on his back)

johncraig
Jul 26, 2023
didn't he get murdered in jail?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
no, HE murdered someone else in jail

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wanna see the deadlock boys get to ufc 4, or maybe even skip to that one

They will lose their minds for joe son getting his balls annihilated, it will be amazing

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I loved the show-long turn on the ECW crowd.

They were so great! Unless you botched a move. Or were a woman. Or fat. Or bald. Or Japanese. Or they got bored.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
If it's a Deadlock covering mid '98 to mid '00, you're going to have to hear about some bullshit involving Bubba the Love Sponge or Mancow

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I laugh everytime I see in my podcast feed "Revisiting Raw 1998 Choppy Choppy Your Pee Pee"

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Why are Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer baffled so much by the booking of the ROH six man match on Dynamite? I didn’t watch the show because I no longer have cable but I read the results on the observer site and it looks very straightforward because Swerve and Hangman have a feud. I don’t get what was hard to follow here.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Putting jobber belts on the elite in the first place was pretty baffling tbh

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

fart blood posted:

Why are Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer baffled so much by the booking of the ROH six man match on Dynamite? I didn’t watch the show because I no longer have cable but I read the results on the observer site and it looks very straightforward because Swerve and Hangman have a feud. I don’t get what was hard to follow here.

a lot has been going over their heads lately. Like that chant that Dave thought was for Trick Williams? Unless I misunderstood that story.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shard posted:

a lot has been going over their heads lately. Like that chant that Dave thought was for Trick Williams? Unless I misunderstood that story.

It WAS for Trick. "Whoop that, Trick" doesn't convey the comma easily.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Yeah it makes sense, furthers the Swerve Hangman thing and starts a Bucks heel turn. They might've been confused about why the match was happening at all, i.e. why Hangman is in the match at all after what Swerve did. Sometimes they take the storylines a bit too seriously and hold them to hew to a realism like why is Swerve still working for the company when he's done home invasions on two of his coworkers. Meltz and Alvarez don't get it sometimes. Alvarez especially lingers on points like that and gets loud and I just want to pat him on the head and tell him to relax buddy, it's just pro wrestling

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Bryan doesn't pay attention and even if he did he'd never let reality get in the way of a good rant. Man's got time to fill.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 2, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/890025958218797117/1169668601721126982/2023-11-02_11-04-22.mp4

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

fart blood posted:

Honestly the creative around that match was pretty lazy. Why is the rematch clause thing invoked so randomly? Why did Hangman wrestle a normal match against Swerve's buddies after what Swerve did? Why did Hangman do the dumbest possible thing at the worst time and fall for Swerve's plan?

I don't subscribe to the observer anymore so I can't actually answer your question though unfortunately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

duckdealer posted:

Honestly the creative around that match was pretty lazy. Why is the rematch clause thing invoked so randomly? Why did Hangman wrestle a normal match against Swerve's buddies after what Swerve did? Why did Hangman do the dumbest possible thing at the worst time and fall for Swerve's plan?!

They needed an excuse to get the belts off of the bucks that didn't involve a convincing loss to a roh-level team.

Also being a loser fuckface idiot who makes bad decisions is hangman's gimmick.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 2, 2023