Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I wasn’t planning on buying AW2 until a sale but the glowing reviews ITT pushed me over the edge. Played through the first chapter and I can see how some folks felt it started slow. But you can tell it’s building up the vibes and I really like the storyboard concept. I just love remedy man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
sam lake my beloved

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I can play one before the end of the year: RE4 Remake, or Alan Wake 2?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Both good choices but imo RE4. I haven't finished AW2 yet though so maybee that'll change but I doubt it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

God that's a hard question. I think for the average player I'd recommend AW2.

Do you want RE4R's really refined combat mechanics with a high skill ceiling or AW2's ~narrative experience~ that plays with interactive mechanics in creative ways?

RE4R is more old school but polished. AW2 has some rough edges but does new things.

RE4R has a fun campy horror vibe, AW2 is more Lynchian with swings between comedy and genuinely creepy vibes.

It's kinda hard to compare them directly. They aren't as similar as, say, RE4R and Dead Space. Parts of AW2's combat are similar to RE4, but it's just as often mimicking PT. And most of the time it's doing its own thing.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bugblatter posted:

God that's a hard question. I think for the average player I'd recommend AW2.

Do you want RE4R's really refined combat mechanics with a high skill ceiling or AW2's ~narrative experience~ that plays with interactive mechanics in creative ways?

RE4R is more old school but polished. AW2 has some rough edges but does new things.

RE4R has a fun campy horror vibe, AW2 is more Lynchian with swings between comedy and genuinely creepy vibes.

It's kinda hard to compare them directly. They aren't as similar as, say, RE4R and Dead Space. Parts of AW2's combat are similar to RE4, but it's just as often mimicking PT. And most of the time it's doing its own thing.

RE4R is going to be on sale, too.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah price is a good way to choose. Either way you’ll play one of the best titles of the year.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Also, what's the word on the World of Horror port? Anybody checked it out?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Fix posted:

I can play one before the end of the year: RE4 Remake, or Alan Wake 2?

AW2 is the more peak experience and I say that as someone who had a very fun time with RE4R.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

Surely you just watch a DF video and pretend it’s given you special powers

No thanks I don't need any more special powers

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
AW2 is the kind of game that has "glad I will never have to do that ever again" parts in it which is big negative for me.

RE4make has some weaker parts but its still fun to replay multiple times.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Which parts? I’m nearing the end but can’t think of anything all that painful.

I do agree that RE4 is a lot more replayable though. There’s a high skill ceiling and lots of room for score chasing. AW2 is more of an experience you consume and then it’s done.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hope those laid off land on their feet

Edit: they even got rid of the person who does the public-facing weekly posts and interactions with players :psyduck: So who's supposed to talk to the community now?

I am not joking when I say somebody in the company probably thinks AI can do that instead.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

WaltherFeng posted:

RE4make has some weaker parts but its still fun to replay multiple times.

this sentiment is wild to me as someone who considers it a miracle if i get through any game even one time. i think the only games ive ever played more than once are the uncharted games and bloodborne, and that's all within the last few years and im almost 40

:corsair:

the next game i plan on replaying is a short hike bc i originally got it on switch and got it free on ps with points and it's so cute i can't resist :3:

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gah... I can't believe "The Man Who Erased His Name" is just in a week.

If I am going to pay full freight for a digital only game rn maybe it's going to be that one

playasia and the like have the korean and japanese versions on disc and they all have dual audio/dual subs for english, apparently. or im about to waste money.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

ShoogaSlim posted:

this sentiment is wild to me as someone who considers it a miracle if i get through any game even one time. i think the only games ive ever played more than once are the uncharted games and bloodborne, and that's all within the last few years and im almost 40

:corsair:

the next game i plan on replaying is a short hike bc i originally got it on switch and got it free on ps with points and it's so cute i can't resist :3:

i'm almost 41 and i complete games just fine. get with the game kiddo.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think most of us are around the same age. Replaying fun games is a pretty normal thing to do and has nothing to do with being old.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I try to finish every game I buy just because I don’t wanna waste money.

Some stuff just gets shelved forever though if it turns out it sucks or if something that I want to play more comes out, and then another game and another game until I just forget the shelved game entirely.

HFW is the most recent victim, it was fun and I played like 15 hours but then put it down to play something else and just never went back to it. I’ve re-played and even re-completed a bunch of games across a bunch of platforms in the interim, I just haven’t felt like doing anymore robot dinosaur hunting yet.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bugblatter posted:

I think most of us are around the same age. Replaying fun games is a pretty normal thing to do and has nothing to do with being old.

:yeah: cant wait to replay metal gear 1/2, mgs1/2/3/4/pw/v but i just had to file a lost claim form for mgsmc since its been 10 goddamn days since dispatch and snake has gone missing in the floods :negative:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bugblatter posted:

Which parts? I’m nearing the end but can’t think of anything all that painful.

I do agree that RE4 is a lot more replayable though. There’s a high skill ceiling and lots of room for score chasing. AW2 is more of an experience you consume and then it’s done.

Its mostly the boss fights but I was exaggerating a bit on second thought.

What really annoyed me was high school math puzzles in the game because I cant solve those without pen and paper. I dont think its entirely fair to put that in the game.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Bugblatter posted:

i mean that at my age ive only replayed a small handful of games in my ~lifetime of gaming. so for me it's very much not the norm. i also have a poo poo attention span and low enthusiasm for long repetitive games. ghosts and elden ring are the only open world games i've ever finished despite having started a decent amount over the years.

it's why i gravitate so heavily to small indie games. they pack a lot into a little package and are often more rewarding (to me) than bigger games.

years and years have passed since i played journey and i still remember how good of an experience it was. contrast that with finishing gow ragnarok earlier this year and just being glad it was over.

anyway im ranting unnecessarily as i tend to do. i just like small games and don't have the attention span for 50+ hour games let alone 100 hr epics. they tend to bore me and i never finish them anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shoog you gonna play Jusant

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I've got better about finishing games as I've got older (in my 40s as well). I'd be halfway through something and the new shiny thing would come out and I'd want to play that rather than finish the game I'd started.

This year I've finished GoW:R, wo long, citizen sleeper, blasphemous, stranger of paradise, norco, FF16, persona 5 royal and BG3 which isn't bad considering I only get Dad gaming hours and a couple of those are 100+ hour epics.

The only games I've shelved without finishing this year are ff15, dredge and Zelda totk. Currently working on spider-men 2, Alan wake 2 and pentiment (steam deck in bed game)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

playasia and the like have the korean and japanese versions on disc and they all have dual audio/dual subs for english, apparently. or im about to waste money.

Videogamesplus is a Canadian company. It takes them a little bit longer to get the product, but they’re a good company and you have less shipping issues if you don’t want to spend for super fast shipping. (If I do slow shipping with PlayAsia it will take months for a game to get to me)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only game I've finished 0-100 this year is castlevania 3 (it's great)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm mid 40s and almost never finish any games these days. The last couple years have been better with being stuck at home all the time, but I still have a backlog that's like 30 years long between all the stuff I've bought and gotten free.

Though oddly I have a weird addiction to Resident Evil games and generally play through those 5+ times within the first few months I get them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I finish most of the games I play.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t get a new game until I finish the current game

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

The Black Stones posted:

Videogamesplus is a Canadian company. It takes them a little bit longer to get the product, but they’re a good company and you have less shipping issues if you don’t want to spend for super fast shipping. (If I do slow shipping with PlayAsia it will take months for a game to get to me)

oh thats cool. think ive only ever bought psn credit region cards for ps3 from playasia. im gonna get the game off ebay tbh, seems simpler lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I usually finish games. Sometimes I don't when something better pulls me away and I just don't ever go back.

Thanks for coming to my TEDtalk.

Yes, I realize this is a Wendy's but please just let me have this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't finish a lot of games because I gamepiss and piss+ a lot of absolute poo poo just to look at how bad it is then uninstall.

Going to download that batkids game at some stage.

If I pay money for a game it's usually because it's going to be good and I want to play it, so I finish them all. Next money game is Robocop. Very excited.

Also playing through Phantom Liberty rn on a second 2077 run. Game rules.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh man, I just had a scare that my C2 had come down with some super-sudden burn-in. There was this weird triangular discolouration in the bottom corner, with a vertical bar of non-damage in the middle of it. I thought it made no sense - it didn't match up with any game UI, or any part of my desktop on the rare occasions when I use it as a monitor, and it just sort of appeared over the past couple days. Anyway, it's gone now, just had to run the automatic pixel cleaning thing. Apparently it's some weird side-effect of sunlight hitting the screen when it runs its background burn-in protection; I guess the vertical line was one of the crossbars of my window.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I rarely replay games because there's always something new to play instead. This year Dead Space Remake I immediately replayed on the higher difficulties though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I think I have some idea of which Alan Wake chapter Bugblatter was on when he was complaining the most because Saga’s chapter 3 is very poorly-paced and tedious and way too long and I really want it to be over with lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I try to finish my current game before starting a new one. I've been pretty good about that this year! But I've also been very good about putting a game down when I've Played Enough of it. A very useful skill to have

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

get with the game kiddo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

fridge corn posted:

I try to finish my current game before starting a new one. I've been pretty good about that this year! But I've also been very good about putting a game down when I've Played Enough of it. A very useful skill to have

One of my new ways of tackling games this year was allowing myself to get almost every game I was at least excited/hyped for and focus on those when they come out.

For example I just finished Spider-Man 2 with a day to spare for ALAN WAKE II, then I played just that and just finished it last night. Now I'm ready for Talos Principle 2 this Thursday.

If I have downtime between big games I just tackle some stuff off my backlog, like after final fantasy 16, I played like 6 games off my backlog until Armored Core 6 came out.

My thought process is, I'm trying to avoid adding to the backlog by not waiting for these new/big/exciting games to go on sale and picking up a bunch at once. I'm priorizing tackling them as they come up but when they do come up, I try to focus solely on them.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm trying to finish Bloodstained before SO2 comes out, ps extra's given me a good chunk of games but I might not renew it so I stop getting distracted from the poo poo I spent money on.

Speaking of extra, Anodyne's on there, game's basically a mix of Link's Awakening and Tunic and if that sparks any interest at all, I definitely recommend it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

One of my new ways of tackling games this year was allowing myself to get almost every game I was at least excited/hyped for and focus on those when they come out.

For example I just finished Spider-Man 2 with a day to spare for ALAN WAKE II, then I played just that and just finished it last night. Now I'm ready for Talos Principle 2 this Thursday.

If I have downtime between big games I just tackle some stuff off my backlog, like after final fantasy 16, I played like 6 games off my backlog until Armored Core 6 came out.

My thought process is, I'm trying to avoid adding to the backlog by not waiting for these new/big/exciting games to go on sale and picking up a bunch at once. I'm priorizing tackling them as they come up but when they do come up, I try to focus solely on them.

One of my Core Strats is to just not have a backlog. I try not to buy any games at all unless I'm going to start playing it immediately. Technically I still have loads to play since I skipped most of the big releases this year but I'm not under any pressure to play them until I feel like it. Definitely going to play AC6 at some point, but it's not on my backlog or anything. Similarly I still haven't played GoW: Ragnarok either, but it's kinda looking like I never will, but no matter cuz it's not on my backlog either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

been a very busy work week for me but let's see where I stand. Played a bit more Hunt: Showdown, a very deep game that I look forward to getting better at. It has really incredible sound design and a poo poo ton of environmental interaction and I'm looking forward to when they do the PS5 engine upgrade and it has graphics to match. Very tense and engaging with great music and apocalyptic, southern gothic flair.

I've put about 2 dozen hours into the beta for The Finals and can confirm it's got something special going on. The sheer number of weapon/class/skill interactions combined with freewheeling skill-based movement and very complex, highly destructable maps with thousands of quirks and crannies...really makes for highly emergent multiplayer and a constantly shifting meta. Really impressed with how good it looks and how smooth everything runs, too, given the complexity of it all. You can tell these people made Mirror's Edge, not just in the aesthetic, but because of the way they portray character momentum when starting a match and running through poo poo in first person...hell, even the animation for slamming through a closed door at high speed is just Faith's animation. It owns so hard. Going by the Steam numbers I think this game is gonna be a hit.

And finally, I pounded out the second half of Blasphemous II, and I can say without any hesitation that The Game Kitchen makes the best castleroids on the market outside of Castlevania itself. This series already has an identity all its own despite being encased in the amber of the subgenre's expectations, and TGK weren't afraid to makes some significant alterations to their own formula for the second installment. The music, artwork, and spritework are as good as ever, and I think their level design has really improved since the first game. Excited to see what they add post-release. What's neat is that similar to the Castlevania games, Blasphemous II is just different enough from Blasphemous to make them both worth playing, and each game has strengths and weaknesses while still being very distinctly its own thing within the genre. Kudos to TGK for making such an impressive dent in what is a very saturated scene.

Up next, tomorrow I start Jusant. Ready for chill vibes and haptic ascents with my little backpack rodent.